The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-27-2013, 12:53 AM
Serene Highness

Thank You Dman!! I guess I need to hit my bed here at the hotel then.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Heir Apparent

LIVE: Prince Philip's visit to Toronto:
Prince Philip set to honour Canadian military battalion | CTV News

The Honourable Frances Shand Kydd
Old 04-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Aristocracy

My photographs and links to my interview and article about the Duke of Edinburgh's visit to Toronto are in the two most recent posts on www.royalhistorian.com
Old 04-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Heir Apparent

report from BBC

BBC News - Duke of Edinburgh 'well' despite eye injury

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Royal Highness

Do we know how he got the black eye? Was it an accident or is it random bruising?
Old 04-27-2013, 07:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Do we know how he got the black eye? Was it an accident or is it random bruising?
The BBC report says

It is understood that Prince Philip, 91, did not fall and simply woke up with the bruising a few days ago.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

The BBC report says

It is understood that Prince Philip, 91, did not fall and simply woke up with the bruising a few days ago.
I read that sentence 2 or 3 times in the BBC report and it simply didn't sink in - for some reason I was thinking that they were saying that he didn't fall out of bed and wake up with the bruise, making me go "okay, but how'd the bruise happen?"

Hopefully it just means he needs more iron in his diet and isn't a sign of something more serious. It's my understanding that random bruising isn't typically a good sign.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe he was snoring and she nudged him in the face by mistake! :)

Old 04-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Nobility

So glad Prince Philip received the Order of Canada - it's long overdue.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Serene Highness

First off, thank you Dman for the time for when things started at Queen's Park earlier today. I had sent an E-mail to the Press Officer at Rideau Hall earlier this week for information, since w/my eye disease, I wanted to know first if this was open to the Public and then second, when would be the best time to show up to make sure I was in a good spot w/a clear view of HRH and she never did return my E-mail. So factor in that and the very limited information I could find, and believe me I *looked*, and I was really thinking last night I'd missed my last chance to ever see the Duke of Edinburgh on Canadian soil.

So Thank You so much for helping me last night Dman.

Secondly...WOW!!! For someone like me who was an in their mid 40's "surprise" to my Parents and was raised listening to the various stories of my Uncle and Cousin and their experiences both in Italy and Holland during WWII *and* also attending Veterans Events since I was very little and soaking it all in, so I *love* events like this. I've never seen the presenting of new Regimental Colours live before however and it was very moving to know, not only how much this means to the Men and Women of the RCR, but also to see History happening right in front of me.

When everything started, it was slightly overcast and even at one point I was worried rain was about to start, but not only did it stay away, *but* when HRH presented the new Colour is when the Sun came out. I heard someone behind me say, "If this was part of a movie, people would either roll their eyes or say something about a cheesy moment." I thought the exact same thing too, so...It *was* perfect timing though.

Another surprise was the Parade after the Presentation of the new Colours to mark the 200th Anniversary of the Battle of York as part of the War of 1812. Once again, did not know that was happening either, so was a lovely surprise.

Also the only time I will ever have the chance to stand right out on University Ave and not get mowed down by the Traffic usually there.

It more than likely won't be until next Tuesday before I get my pictures up over at my Photobucket account, as my camera and the laptop do *not* like each other very much and I'll only be as far as my Sister's Wednesday and then home on Friday. I did get some really good pictures of HRH, the Ceremony and the Parade and I can't wait to share them all w/you.

The *really* great part of this though? The son of very, very good Family Friends of ours served in the RCR for close to ten years and would still be a Serving Member, but then he did a Tour over in Afghanistan and knew if he stayed, he would have to do another Tour and....He just couldn't. He's still dealing w/all that he saw over there and did, at least he's finally talking about it w/thanks to some Korean Vets in our area, but for the first couple of years after he came home it was touch and go if the PTSD would win or he would.

Anyway....I thought even if I didn't get any good pictures of HRH, at the very least I could do my best to get some good ones of the Ceremony for him and if he's interested and wants copies, then I can certainly do that. After all, it really is the very least I can do for him after all he's been through.

Sigh....I still can't believe I got to see him and all of the Ceremony that went along w/it. It's been a *really* stressful year w/my Dad's health steadily going downhill and then it went up by a factor of Ten Thousand w/my Mom breaking her ankle a month and two weeks ago, so I was looking forward to my Stars on Ice weekend in Toronto more than I have in a long, long time. Got to see an awesome show at the Air Canada Centre last night and then HRH and another awesome show this morning at Queen's Park.

Sigh...What a Holiday so far and I've still got three more days down here too.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, I'm glad I was actually able to help you, Tiggersk8.

I watched the event and found it moving but also to see Prince Philip present the new colors. God bless, he's 91 and really frail now but he made sure he made it over to Canada for this event. Very nice of him and I'm sure The Queen is proud of him for gathering up the strength to do it.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:46 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I read that sentence 2 or 3 times in the BBC report and it simply didn't sink in - for some reason I was thinking that they were saying that he didn't fall out of bed and wake up with the bruise, making me go "okay, but how'd the bruise happen?"

Hopefully it just means he needs more iron in his diet and isn't a sign of something more serious. It's my understanding that random bruising isn't typically a good sign.
Since the Duke of Edinburgh's heart procedure in December 2011, he is likely to be on some medications to 'thin the blood'.
These make bruising underneath the skin quite common, just with the slightest knock, or even sometimes spontaneously.
Hopefully that's all it is - he still looks in fantastic shape!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:31 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

New portrait of The Queen - which is awful.

http://blog.westminstercollection.co...by-royal-mail/
Old 04-28-2013, 07:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Ouch, I agree, not nice...
Actually it reminds me more of actress Margaret Rutherford (Miss Marple ) than of QEII
Old 04-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:

Awful is right! Geesh. There are so many beautiful photos of her taken recently that no one can claim this is how she really looks at her age.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Heir Apparent

It's artistic and creative.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I dont think its awful. I'd like to see the actual painting rather than reproduction on stamps (print process can play havoc). Her painting of William and Harry ( which I have seen at the NPG) is outstanding.

It is the Queen in old age and I think she looks dignified, regal and real.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Nobility

Not the best, but certainly not the worst.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
First off, thank you Dman for the time for when things started at Queen's Park earlier today. I had sent an E-mail to the Press Officer at Rideau Hall earlier this week for information, since w/my eye disease, I wanted to know first if this was open to the Public and then second, when would be the best time to show up to make sure I was in a good spot w/a clear view of HRH and she never did return my E-mail. So factor in that and the very limited information I could find, and believe me I *looked*, and I was really thinking last night I'd missed my last chance to ever see the Duke of Edinburgh on Canadian soil.

So Thank You so much for helping me last night Dman.

Secondly...WOW!!! For someone like me who was an in their mid 40's "surprise" to my Parents and was raised listening to the various stories of my Uncle and Cousin and their experiences both in Italy and Holland during WWII *and* also attending Veterans Events since I was very little and soaking it all in, so I *love* events like this. I've never seen the presenting of new Regimental Colours live before however and it was very moving to know, not only how much this means to the Men and Women of the RCR, but also to see History happening right in front of me.

When everything started, it was slightly overcast and even at one point I was worried rain was about to start, but not only did it stay away, *but* when HRH presented the new Colour is when the Sun came out. I heard someone behind me say, "If this was part of a movie, people would either roll their eyes or say something about a cheesy moment." I thought the exact same thing too, so...It *was* perfect timing though.

Another surprise was the Parade after the Presentation of the new Colours to mark the 200th Anniversary of the Battle of York as part of the War of 1812. Once again, did not know that was happening either, so was a lovely surprise.

Also the only time I will ever have the chance to stand right out on University Ave and not get mowed down by the Traffic usually there.

It more than likely won't be until next Tuesday before I get my pictures up over at my Photobucket account, as my camera and the laptop do *not* like each other very much and I'll only be as far as my Sister's Wednesday and then home on Friday. I did get some really good pictures of HRH, the Ceremony and the Parade and I can't wait to share them all w/you.

The *really* great part of this though? The son of very, very good Family Friends of ours served in the RCR for close to ten years and would still be a Serving Member, but then he did a Tour over in Afghanistan and knew if he stayed, he would have to do another Tour and....He just couldn't. He's still dealing w/all that he saw over there and did, at least he's finally talking about it w/thanks to some Korean Vets in our area, but for the first couple of years after he came home it was touch and go if the PTSD would win or he would.

Anyway....I thought even if I didn't get any good pictures of HRH, at the very least I could do my best to get some good ones of the Ceremony for him and if he's interested and wants copies, then I can certainly do that. After all, it really is the very least I can do for him after all he's been through.

Sigh....I still can't believe I got to see him and all of the Ceremony that went along w/it. It's been a *really* stressful year w/my Dad's health steadily going downhill and then it went up by a factor of Ten Thousand w/my Mom breaking her ankle a month and two weeks ago, so I was looking forward to my Stars on Ice weekend in Toronto more than I have in a long, long time. Got to see an awesome show at the Air Canada Centre last night and then HRH and another awesome show this morning at Queen's Park.

Sigh...What a Holiday so far and I've still got three more days down here too.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Will you share your pictures?

Quote:
New portrait of The Queen - which is awful.

http://blog.westminstercollection.co...by-royal-mail/
Oh, that is quite awful .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Courtier

I see a hint of laughter just below the surface wanting to come out. The Queen has the most wonderful sunny smile when she is around people - it's hard to keep that hidden.