The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Courtier

Merger of Palace staff is latest step on Prince of Wales's journey to kingship - Telegraph

Old 01-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Heir Apparent

The article from the Sunday Times as previously mentioned. It does focus on the Press Relations merger which is being discussed in another thread (The Royal Household, Courtiers and Advisers) so I'll highlight other points in case you have problems accessing the article

Queen and Charles start to

Key Points:

PRINCE CHARLES will accompany the Queen on the beaches of Normandy this summer to mark the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings — as the monarchy moves towards what is in effect a job-share. The heir to the throne will stand in for the Queen at some of the day’s key engagements.

The news that Charles will accompany the Queen to Normandy,
comes amid suggestions that this could be the monarch’s final official foreign trip.

A French government adviser involved in planning the D-Day commemorations said: “We have been told this will probably be the Queen’s last official foreign visit.”

The French government is understood to have been fully briefed on the potential significance of the D-Day commemorations for the Queen.

Palace sources confirmed this weekend that the Queen’s diary contains no more official foreign trips. Her last foreign state visit was to Ireland three years ago.

However, they are also saying "business as usual" and that she is still "in charge"

END

No real surprises but it is stark to see the inevitable process of handover in writing. But the headline promises more than the article delivers IMO

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-18-2014, 09:07 PM
Commoner

succession planning

I am not surprised at the idea of "job share", you would think that the Queen might want her heir to be relieved of the enormous learning curve having been unexpectedly dropped into her reign on her Father's sudden death. I would imagine QEII might have been sharing briefing sessions with Charles for many of the past 10 years at least.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantie View Post
I am not surprised at the idea of "job share", you would think that the Queen might want her heir to be relieved of the enormous learning curve having been unexpectedly dropped into her reign on her Father's sudden death. I would imagine QEII might have been sharing briefing sessions with Charles for many of the past 10 years at least.
I totally agree - to me it feels as though we are slowly starting to edge towards an unofficial regency so if one is needed it will not be as big a shock to everyone.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:04 PM
Majesty

Charles has been seeing the Red Boxes for more than a decade now to my knowledge - how far back that goes I don't know but I was told that the boxes were sent to him daily, just as they are The Queen in 2002. He has regularly meet with MPs over that time as well, if not longer, so the training process of him sharing briefing sessions has been going on for a long time. The Queen started training Charles when he was in his teens so has been doing it for about 50 years now, just as her father started to prepare her during the war years from when she was 15 or 16.

This is just the next step. Even Queen Victoria relented and allowed her son and heir to see the boxes in the last couple of years of her reign.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:00 AM
Serene Highness

Key Palace reshuffle is 'first step to bringing Prince Charles to the throne': | Mail Online
BBC News - Royal Family press offices set to merge
Old 01-19-2014, 09:37 AM
Majesty

The Queen & Prince of Wales have their own boxes for official papers. The Queen has the Red Boxes and Charles has the Green Boxes.

Pictures:
The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh Attends Sunday Service at Wolferton Church on January 19, 2014 in Norwich, England-
Queen Elizabeth II Pictures - The Queen Attends Church At Wolferton - Zimbio

Pictures:
Search - Getty Images : The Queen Attends Church At Wolferton 2014

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 01-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

No pics with flowers yet. Sir Nicholas Soames was there. For those who don't know who he is -
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...sn-t-damm.html

Inside the church (no royalty - but a nice peek inside):
“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Old 01-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Majesty

Yeah, we know Sir Nicholas Soames. Never cared for the man.

Ian Burt ‏@Ian_Burt 1h
@EDP24 HM the Queen taking flowers from members of the crowd this morning outside Wolferton Church. #edp24 pic.twitter.com/HrxPP3h0ci

The Queen collects flowers after Wolferton church service-
http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/the_quee...vice_1_3222242

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 01-19-2014, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

From Hello

Prince Charles takes on more royal duties from Queen - hellomagazine.com
Old 01-19-2014, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Pictures:
The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh Attends Sunday Service at Wolferton Church on January 19, 2014 in Norwich, England-

Pictures:
Yeah! Flower gate can end!! The Queen looks divine.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Pictures:

Pictures:
face to face
Old 01-20-2014, 07:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Charles has been seeing the Red Boxes for more than a decade now to my knowledge...
It has also occurred to me that perhaps with Philip in his 90s, they want to ensure that Charles will be well prepared should something happen to Philip. It will be very appropriate and understandable that the Queen would go into a period of mourning. Charles then would be well able to step in and cover for his mother. No need for a regent but someone to allow the Queen a period of mourning in peace.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:30 PM
Courtier

Betting suspended on Queen stepping down - Telegraph

Has this article been posted?

I didn't think the Queen would ever abdicate, but now I'm not sure. There has never been a monarch who reached the age of 88 before either, or an heir to the throne as old as Charles.

Maybe the royal family is going to set a precedent for modern times, as people increasingly live longer. After all, if Charles lives as long as the Queen Mother, William will be in his 70s before he becomes king. Maybe abdications will become inevitable?
Old 01-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth II will delegate responsibilities | Spletnik.ru
Old 01-20-2014, 02:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think HM would sooner wear a hot pink wig and lime green polka dotted slacks before she would ever abdicated a duty she has professed to serve quite a few times over her 60+ years on the throne.

Personally I think some people are reading too much into all of this. The Firm has a long history of very precise planning and with the advancing ages of both the Queen and the DoE, its not surprising that they are planning and implementing measures to assure that all bases are covered no matter what happens.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wonderfully put. No abdication, just forward planning which is IMO, a good thing.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Commoner

I very much doubt the Queen will ever abdicate more likely Charles is just helping relieve some of the strain she is almost 90. It would be a very strange time to abdicate because she is only a year and a half from over taking Victoria's record.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It has also occurred to me that perhaps with Philip in his 90s, they want to ensure that Charles will be well prepared should something happen to Philip. It will be very appropriate and understandable that the Queen would go into a period of mourning. Charles then would be well able to step in and cover for his mother. No need for a regent but someone to allow the Queen a period of mourning in peace.
Charles has been ready to take over since he was 18 as that was the age at which he would have been King without a Regent had The Queen died.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think the argument about getting Charles ready to take over is more about the BRF moving to have things established so that when the transfer of power does happen, Charles is in more of a position of strength. Of course he is no closer to becoming king now than he was 60 years ago, that's obvious. It's not so much that he's actually getting closer to becoming king like you or I would get closer to a job promotion or a degree, etc, but rather that they're slowly passing more roles, responsibility, and power to Charles so that when he does become king he already had the foundation of what he needs in place.

Take the stuff with the staff merger. Typically you would expect someone from HM's team to head that, but as her top person has recently moved to other employment, Charles' top person is getting the role. This means that when Charles becomes king he's not going to have to restructure the staff again - or insult a cherished member of HM's staff - in order to have his team in place. Little things like this don't make him closer to becoming King, but they'll make the transition once he is King easier.