Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 26: December 2014 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:

Today, July 4, Queen Elizabeth received the Presiding Officer of the Scottish Parliament, Ken Macintosh, and the First Minister of Scotland, Nicola Sturgeon, at the Palace of Holyroodhouse:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

I'm very busy with Queen Sonja right now, but just wanted to say that HM looks great and very sweet, as usual.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Telegraph article: Horse-barge parade! Queen is all smiles as she opens Scottish canal alongside stunning 30m-high Kelpies sculptures
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have led a small flotilla along a new canal as they visited one of Scotland's most popular attractions.

The royal couple completed the last stretch of their journey to the Kelpies sculptures in Falkirk by barge - and formally opened the new canal section in the process.

Named after the monarch, the Queen Elizabeth II Canal forms the eastern gateway to the Forth and Clyde Canal and flows right up to the acclaimed horse-head sculptures.

Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuGQWf4daIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkEPCXvOYAs

Thanks, iceflower!

Telegraph article: The Queen opens a new Highland Spring factory
The Queen has officially opened a new factory building for the UK's top producer of bottled water.

She was presented with a specially-labelled bottle of Highland Spring water she helped make after pressing the button to start the new production line.

The commemorative bottles have a crown on the thistle logo and the slogan "Specially selected for Her Majesty the Queen".

Group operations director Bryan McCluskey showed the Queen around the factory and explained the bottling process, describing the visit as an "enormous honour".

He said: "Having the longest-reigning monarch coming to see the fastest bottling line in the UK was amazing. She was really interested and could quote some of the statistics she had heard.

"She was very impressed with the new bottle design and we presented one of the new bottles to her which she had effectively made."

Videos:
The Queen has officially opened a new factory building for the UK's top producer of bottled water today. The royal visited Highland Spring in Blackford, Perth and Kinross, and will tour the bottling hall and press a button to start the new production line. Producing more than 20 bottles per second, the new production line is the fastest of its type in the UK:
Home - ITNSource News

Prince Philip conducted his final Duke of Edinburgh gold awards at the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Scotland. The duke held receptions for the young people who have achieved the Gold Standard in the Duke of Edinburgh Award:
Home - ITNSource News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SUgO0ymeZw

Last edited:
Video:
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh Charming the Recipients and other guest at the GOE Awards Presentation-
Home - ITNSource News

He's a pro on working the crowds. I would suggest we all do this whenever we're at parties and receptions.

:previous:
Our tireless, smiling and very cute monarch carried out her last visit of Holyrood week today:

This:
Dickie Arbiter‏ @RoyalDickie
And all at 91 - marvelous. Such stamina and devotion to duty - it is because of HM we are a united Kingdom. Holyrood week is a job well done.

Video:
The Queen has presented Royal medals at the Royal Society in Edinburgh today. The accolades are awarded for distinction and international repute in several categories including Life Sciences, the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences. Previous recipients have included Nobel Laureates such as Sir James Black and Professor Peter Higgs:
Home - ITNSource News

Queen Elizabeth accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh opened the Queen Elizabeth II Canal at the Helix, Grangemouth, Falkirk, and attended a lunch with the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders at Stirling Castle today, July 5:

There's been a lot of angry comments regarding the name of the canal. It should just have been the Queen Elizabeth Canal and many in Scotland are angry that it's been called Elizabeth II.

There's been a lot of angry comments regarding the name of the canal. It should just have been the Queen Elizabeth Canal and many in Scotland are angry that it's been called Elizabeth II.

Apologies if this comes across as a silly question, but why?

Or is it thought that the canal name is given to not just one Queen Elizabeth??! Bit pointless really, sharing the name! :confused: Only my opinion of course! ?

Isn't it because the Queen isn't considered Queen Elizabeth II in Scotland? This is because of course when Queen Elizabeth I was on the throne of England Scotland was a separate kingdom.

Or is it thought that the canal name is given to not just one Queen Elizabeth??! Bit pointless really, sharing the name! :confused: Only my opinion of course! ?

In Scotland Elizabeth II is Elizabeth I. Elizabeth I of England was not Queen of Scotland. Thus the angry comments.

Bit of background here in particular about the fact E II R appeared on post boxes in Scotland after the Queen's accession
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillar_Box_War

Apparently now the monarch will take the highest number from either Scotland or England, e.g the Queen is Elizabeth II as there has been a Elizabeth I in one of the Kingdoms past.

"How can there be an Elizabeth the second when we never had Elizabeth the first?"

These are the words of a Scots song written around the time Elizabeth became Queen. Elizabeth I was Queen of England and not Scotland which was a separate kingdom. Elizabeth was succeeded by James VI King of Scots who became James I & VI. Edward VIIs regnal number was often omitted in Scotland, even by the Church of Scotland, on the grounds that it was an English number. When Elizabeth became Queen and was proclaimed Elizabeth II there where widespread protests in Scotland and the cypher EIIR was defaced whenever it appeared. Post boxes bearing the cypher were blown up and the decision was taken to cease using it in Scotland. Post boxes now bear the Scottish crown. Documents have come to light in recent years that show that Elizabeth was concerned about insulting Scots and wanted to use the style Elizabeth I&II but she was overruled by Churchill.

Bit of background here in particular about the fact E II R appeared on post boxes in Scotland after the Queen's accession
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillar_Box_War

Apparently now the monarch will take the highest number from either Scotland or England, e.g the Queen is Elizabeth II as there has been a Elizabeth I in one of the Kingdoms past.

This was Churchill's suggestion but I can't see it happening. Say a Constantine became King, if he was proclaimed Constantine IV I don't think the English would be too happy so it would be better to use both numbers, I&IV.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures, iceflower!

The Queen examines a bomb disposal robot and meets police dogs
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh examine a bomb disposal robot at the opening of the Met Police's new headquarters in London.

The opening of the new multimillion-pound headquarters at New Scotland Yard was due to take place on March 23rd but was postponed following the Westminster Bridge terrorist attack.

The royal couple also watched a demonstration of a bomb disposal robot and later met officers demonstrating "A day in the life of the Met", featuring search dogs and uniformed staff.

Video:
The Queen has opened the new multimillion-pound headquarters of the Metropolitan Police Service at New Scotland Yard. Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick and Deputy Commissioner Craig Mackey greeted the royal couple when they arrived at the building which was refurbished and extended for its new role:
Home - ITNSource News

:previous:
Queen given tour of Canada House to mark country's 150th birthday
The Queen has been given a sapphire brooch from the Canadian people to mark her sapphire jubilee during an event in London celebrating 150 years of the Canadian Confederation.

She and the Duke of Edinburgh were at Canada House in Trafalgar Square in honour of the 150th anniversary of the Canadian Confederation, when Quebec, Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia first united in 1867.

The Queen wore a Stewart Parvin white silk floral dress with a blue flower print, a white summer jacket, and matching hat by Rachel Trevor-Morgan. She also wore a platinum maple leaf brooch for the occasion.
Video:
Her Majesty the Queen, accompanid by the Duke of Edinburgh, visit Canada House on Trafalgar Square to celebrate Canada's 150th anniversary of Confederation:
Home - ITNSource News

Video from CTV News - Daniele Hamamdjian discusses the Queen's visit to Canada House and recaps her interview with outgoing Gov. Gen. Johnston. Daniele Hamamdjian isn't the best reporter to report royal news, and I've noticed several errors in what she has said during the past year:

Last edited:
The Royal Standard has been lowered at Buckingham Palace after her Majesty the Queen begins her annual Scottish holiday at Balmoral.

The monarch was spotted today making her way to Crathie Church for Sunday service, within spitting distance of her Balmoral Castle on Royal Deeside.

The 91-year-old royal could be seen travelling to the chapel alongside a female companion this morning.

Read more: The Queen arrives at*Crathie Church in Balmoral | Daily Mail Online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom