The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-01-2017, 01:42 PM
Majesty

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh attend a garden party at Buckingham Palace in London on June 1, 2017.

Belga Image

Old 06-01-2017, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh attend a garden party at Buckingham Palace in London on June 1, 2017.

Belga Image
Here's a video from todays Garden Party,the queen looks lovely!

Old 06-04-2017, 05:35 AM
Courtier

Phillip also looking very dapper!
Old 06-04-2017, 07:47 PM
Nobility

Is the Queen planning to host Trump after all?

I hope she cancelled it. It is too rude and vulgar and doesn't deserve to be in the presence of HM.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:22 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
HM The Queen after 65 years on the throne knows how to comport herself, treat everyone with respect and dignity and never, ever lets her personal opinion of a person she's hosting to be known.

She'll do just fine.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

If the British government tell HM to host Trump she will comply as that is what she has to do.

She has hosted some pretty awful dictators over the years at the insistence of the British government.

She can't say 'no' as that would be a dereliction of duty. She is bound to do what she is told to do by the government, just as she says what they tell her to say.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:42 PM
Nobility

I thought the queen extended the state visit invitation herself to Trump right after the U.S. election in November. The visit has already been delayed because of protests to Trump and the government doesn't want a scene. With the last attack in London Trump's tweets have angered some politicians, having one to call to cancel the state visit.

I haven't seen a statement from Buckingham Palace about this attack. Anything so far?
Old 06-04-2017, 11:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I've been wondering about this visit since it was announced. There hasn't been much about it in the news at all. I have started to assume it wasn't happening.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I thought the queen extended the state visit invitation herself to Trump right after the U.S. election in November. The visit has already been delayed because of protests to Trump and the government doesn't want a scene. With the last attack in London Trump's tweets have angered some politicians, having one to call to cancel the state visit.

I haven't seen a statement from Buckingham Palace about this attack. Anything so far?
Invitations are issued in The Queen's name but the reality is that it is the government who actually issues the invitation.

The Queen can't decide for herself who to invite or where to go - she does what she is told by the government of the day.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:32 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As with most state visits, it is announced when a date is set for it and then nothing much about it at all until the time approaches. I don't see a US state visit as being any more or less than all the other state visits that HM hosts on behalf of the British government.

State visits are visiting heads of state or the representative of the head of state of a country. Personalities don't play a part in the decision whether to issue an invitation or not. Foreign policy does however.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:16 AM
Courtier

True, regardless of who the president is, a state visit will happen. I'm sure Her Majesty enjoys some more than others, it's all just part of the job.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

H.M.The Queen received The Governor of Western Australia, the Hon. Kerry Sanderson at Buckingham Palace today.

Queen Elizabeth Ii Kerry Sanderson Pictures and Photos | Getty Images
Old 06-07-2017, 04:48 PM
Majesty

THE QUEEN AND THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH TO VISIT TOWER HAMLETS
Thursday 15th June 2017

Her Majesty The Queen, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, will visit Poplar to attend commemorations for the centenary of the bombing of Upper North Street School during the First World War.

On 13 June 1917 a bomb from a German aircraft hit Upper North Street School in Poplar, East London, killing 18 children aged between 5 and 12.
Her Majesty and His Royal Highness will undertake two engagements to mark this important anniversary, including a memorial service and a visit to the site of Upper North Street School, which is now named Mayflower Primary School.

Engagement 1 - Memorial Service, All Saints Church
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will attend a memorial service at All Saints Church on Newby Place, where the funerals of 15 of the children who died in the bombing took place 100 years ago.
The service will be attended by 250 guests, including community faith leaders, local dignitaries and relatives of the children that lost their lives. Her Majesty and His Royal Highness will meet guests in the church following the service.

Engagement 2 - Mayflower Primary School
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will visit the site of Upper North Street School, now Mayflower Primary School.
Her Majesty and His Royal Highness will tour the school to meet teachers and students, starting in the reception class, which is where the bomb hit. The Queen and the Duke will view several school projects, including a First World War exhibition display.

Background
At the time of the bombing, King George V sent a personal note to be read at the funeral service of those involved. The message, which was read at All Saints Church on 20th June 1917, said that His Majesty and Queen Mary were thinking of the children's parents and ''their saddened homes, especially today when the bodies of their little ones were laid to rest''.

The King's message continued: ''of young innocent lives, at all times pathetic, is made more so than ever in these tragic circumstances. Their Majesties pray that the mourners may be blessed with God's help and comfort in their sorrow''.
Mayflower Primary School is situated in Poplar, in the East End of London. The school has 385 pupils on roll, from nursery to year 6 and was graded outstanding in the Ofsted inspection in January 2017. The school's motto is ‘Set Sail for Success' and aims for pupils to experience success in their learning, enjoy the sense of adventure learning brings, and to discover how learning changes lives.

World War I - Mayflower Primary School
Old 06-07-2017, 06:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks Pranter! Very interesting.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:50 AM
Majesty

Thanks Royal Norway! I thought so too...very neat.

LaRae
Old 06-08-2017, 03:54 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
If the British government tell HM to host Trump she will comply as that is what she has to do.

She has hosted some pretty awful dictators over the years at the insistence of the British government.

She can't say 'no' as that would be a dereliction of duty. She is bound to do what she is told to do by the government, just as she says what they tell her to say.
You're talking about the woman who has had to host African dictators and all sorts of dubious and weird heads of state.

Trump is a walk in the park.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:49 PM
Majesty

THE QUEEN AND THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH WILL MARK THE 175TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE FIRST TRAIN JOURNEY BY A BRITISH MONARCH

Tuesday 13th June 2017

The Queen, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, will mark the 175th anniversary of the first train journey by a British monarch. The Queen and the Duke will travel from Slough to London Paddington on a Great Western Railway train, recreating the historic journey made by Queen Victoria on 13th June 1842.

Background:
Prior to travelling, Her Majesty and His Royal Highness will pass through the original waiting room at Slough Railway Station, which was also used by Queen Victoria. They will view a historical timeline of the Great Western Railway and a related art project by local schoolchildren.

The royal party will then board GWR's new Intercity Express train, which is due to enter passenger service later this year. Accompanying the Queen and the Duke on the journey will be descendants of Daniel Gooch, who drove the original locomotive (Phlegethon), and Isambard Kingdom Brunel, the celebrated engineer who designed the Great Western Railway line and assisted Daniel Gooch during the 1842 journey.
The new train's two leading vehicles are to be called Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Victoria. On arrival at London Paddington, Her Majesty will take part in a short unveiling ceremony.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

H.M.The Queen hosts Audiences At Buckingham Palace

June 8th

Que En Elizabeth Ii Audience At Buckingham Palace Pictures and Photos | Getty Images
Old 06-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Please note that posts relating to the Queen receiving the Prime Minister following the UK election have been moved to the Prime Ministers, Political Advisers and the Powers & Prerogatives of the Monarch thread.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:48 AM
Majesty

The Queen will mark the 175th anniversary of the first train journey made by a British monarch.
On 13 June 1842, Queen Victoria made the trip from Slough to Paddington, writing in her journal afterwards that it was "delightful and so quick".
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will embark on the same journey on the day of the anniversary.

Queen to recreate 1842 Slough to Paddington train journey - BBC News

Tags
queen elizabeth ii, the duke of edinburgh