The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-27-2017, 04:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen has never rushed to the scene of any such event. In fact she has been criticised in the past for not attending the scene of such events at any time. Her staff are very efficient now at making statements on her behalf.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:47 AM
Majesty

Yes she has been criticised but really, over the last thirty odd years, she has marshaled her forces with considerable sense and sent them to represent her.

I know that Prince Charles was visiting the injured in hospital but also noticed that time was left for the hospital to do what needed doing and next-of-kin were given time and privacy. The last thing they needed was an overly precipitous onslaught of royalty, politicians and media.

Actually, it is worth noting exactly who HM sends where and when. In this case William, Catherine and Harry's present, somewhat turbulent, personal lives would have diverted attention from the situation at hand.

Another point, we don't know what sort of "bedside manner" they have either. I am discounting the many trips to kids in hospitals because they are scheduled and the parameters are set. I believe Harry could handle their injuries going on how his interest in injured servicemen started and has proceeded, but not everyone is cut out for that.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Queen has never rushed to the scene of any such event. In fact she has been criticised in the past for not attending the scene of such events at any time. Her staff are very efficient now at making statements on her behalf.
1. That's wrong. She is (as both Dickie Arbiter and other former employees says) known to write her many letters/statements herself.

2. She was criticized (by some few journalists) for the Aberfan disaster: The Queen's late Private Secretary Lord Charteris acknowledged that failing to go there sooner was her biggest regret.

But many experts have defended her in that dession too and I agree with them. She didn't want to get in the way of the rescue efforts that were still underway. She thought it better to delay her visit for a few days, saying "What if some poor child is still trapped in the wreckage, and won't be found because everyone will be busy looking after me?"

3. She was praised by experts (as she almost always is) for her reaction to the London bombings in 2005. She sent out this message on the same day it happened:

https://www.royal.uk/message-followi...-blasts-london
Quote:
Yesterday's bombings in London have deeply affected us all. I know I speak for everyone in expressing my sympathy to those who have been caught up in these events and above all to the relatives and friends of those who have lost their lives. My thoughts are also with the injured some of whom I have been able to see and talk to today.

I also want to thank you and all members of the emergency services and Transport for London who are working with such care, professionalism and sensitivity often in very difficult circumstances. You have the respect of all of us as you go about your business.

Finally I want to express my admiration for the people of our capital city who in the aftermath of yesterday's bombings are calmly determined to resume their normal lives.

That is the answer to this outrage. Sadly we in Britain have been all too familiar with acts of terror and members of my generation, especially at this end of London, know that we have been here before. But those who perpetrate these brutal acts against innocent people should know that they will not change our way of life.

Atrocities such as these simply reinforce our sense of community, our humanity, and our trust in the rule of law. That is the clear message from us all.
And as a former royal houshold employee said in 2012, it was the Queen herself who took the decision to go to the hospital the day after the attack where she held this speech:

https://www.royal.uk/royal-london-ho...on-8-july-2005
Quote:
Yesterday's bombings in London have deeply affected us all. I know I speak for everyone in expressing my sympathy to those who have been caught up in these events and above all to the relatives and friends of those who have lost their lives. My thoughts are also with the injured some of whom I have been able to see and talk to today.

I also want to thank you and all members of the emergency services and Transport for London who are working with such care, professionalism and sensitivity often in very difficult circumstances. You have the respect of all of us as you go about your business.

Finally I want to express my admiration for the people of our capital city who in the aftermath of yesterday's bombings are calmly determined to resume their normal lives.

That is the answer to this outrage. Sadly we in Britain have been all too familiar with acts of terror and members of my generation, especially at this end of London, know that we have been here before. But those who perpetrate these brutal acts against innocent people should know that they will not change our way of life.

Atrocities such as these simply reinforce our sense of community, our humanity, and our trust in the rule of law. That is the clear message from us all.
And the victims who met her at the hospital told how caring and warm she was. She also made a substantial donation to the London Bombings Relief Charitable Fund.

4. She is known for her kindness and there are so many touching stories about her. She comforts her employees, traumatized aid workers etc.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Yesterday, March 27, the Duke of Edinburgh as Patron of Windsor Forest Bowmen opened The Duke of Edinburgh Archery Pavilion:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** fb gallery 1 ** fb gallery 2 **
Old 03-29-2017, 01:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Elizabeth takes morning horse ride despite Windsor Castle security boost | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Love seeing The Queen on her ponies.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-30-2017, 12:17 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
There are some things in this world that never change and the Queen taking her rides is one of them.

I can imagine that with all the new security measures that are being implemented in and around the UK that it can somewhat install a sense of fear in people that things are getting worse and their safety isn't what it used to be but just seeing HM going about her life and doing what she always does is kind of a reassurance that life goes on.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:40 AM
Administrator

The Duke of Edinburgh as Colonel visited the 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards at Lille Barracks, Aldershot, Hampshire, today, March 30 - always so impressing to see him..

** gettyimages gallery **
Old 03-30-2017, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duke of Edinburgh visits 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards at their barracks in Aldershot, watches a football match and hands out medals afterwards.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:49 AM
Gentry

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will attend the Royal Maundy Service at Leicester Cathedral on April 13.

https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/st...17642421432320
Old 03-31-2017, 12:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipsi View Post
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will attend the Royal Maundy Service at Leicester Cathedral on April 13.

https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/st...17642421432320
For 800 years, British Kings and Queens have marked Maundy Thursday with the giving of gifts to the deserving.

The Queen selects a variety of music for the service, but Zadok the Priest is always is always used.

Zadok the Priest was first sung during the anointing of George II during his coronation on 11 October 1727.

It since has been sung at every British coronation since 1727, the only anthem from Handel's four to endure the last three centuries.

It is traditionally performed during the sovereign's anointing.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Pop princess Kylie has been handed an award during a private audience with Prince Philip at Windsor Castle.

The Can't Get You Out Of My Head singer was honoured for her contribution to British-Australian relations.

And judging by the looks on their faces, the Duke said something to make her chuckle.
Read more: Kylie and Prince Philip share a laugh as he hands her award during private audience at Windsor Castle - ITV News
Old 04-04-2017, 07:38 PM
Majesty

Anybody else besides me really wish we knew what Philip said and if it was one of his famous gaffes or not?
Old 04-05-2017, 04:28 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

This belongs to the State Visit thread but it's closed. Maybe a moderator can add it accordingly.
EPHRAIM HARDCASTLE: D-Day UK visit for Spain's King Felipe | Daily Mail Online
Old 04-11-2017, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Queen Elizabeth accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh opened the Centre for Elephant Care at Whipsnade Zoo, Dunstable, Bedordshire, today, April 11. They also opened and attended a lunch at Priory View also in Dunstable, Bedfordshire:

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery **

** dailymail: Pleased to meet you, Ma'am! Prince Philip chuckles as the Queen is given a VERY friendly greeting from an Asian elephant ..**
Old 04-11-2017, 08:10 AM
Majesty

Oh my! Those pictures of HM and the DoE with Elizabeth the Elephant have just made my day.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Mine too.

The Royal Family‏ @RoyalFamily
Her Majesty and The Duke meet the keepers and are presented with a photograph of baby Elizabeth, born in The Queen's 90th birthday year.
Picture: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9IIKwyXYAAXXpv.jpg

The Royal Family‏ @RoyalFamily
Four-year-old Arthur greets The Queen and presents HM with a beautiful little posy of flowers.
Pictures:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9IInQLXkAEDH_e.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9IIorbWAAARNwf.jpg

Videos:
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have fed bananas to an elephant at Whipsnade Zoo in Dunstable today, after opening its new Centre for Elephant Care and unveiling a commemorative plaque.
Home - ITNSource News
Old 04-25-2017, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Today, April 25, Queen Elizabeth hosted a ceremony to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Motability at Windsor Castle:

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery **
Old 04-25-2017, 06:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth Ii Pictures and Photos | Getty Images

The Queen hosts 40th anniversary of the Motability charity | Daily Mail Online
Old 04-26-2017, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Queen Elizabeth met with the President of Guyana David Granger at Windsor Castle today, April 26 - such a nice setting on pic 1!

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **
Old 04-27-2017, 11:56 AM
Heir Apparent

More from April 25 - Queen: My grandson is nine and he does nothing else but try to drive a car:

Tags
queen elizabeth ii, the duke of edinburgh