The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-08-2016, 12:39 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I really like that portrait. It took me a few minutes to figure out just why and it finally hit me. The style in which it was painted blends in so very nicely with portraits that have been painted throughout the ages of historical personages as how they represent their roles and positions. Adding this one to a long list of paintings, it'd show a continuity not only of the monarchy and a beloved, long reigning monarch, but the continuity in the Order of the Thistle also.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:43 PM
Majesty

I would say this might be on my top list of the best portraits of HM. Just out of curiosity, did she compliment the artist or let somehow know she likes the portrait?

Old 07-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

She tries to be diplomatic - read this telegraph article from January 2015:
Rankin: 'I see the person, not the celebrity' - Telegraph
Quote:
Famed for shooting the stars of the Nineties, the photographer is now focusing on less glitzy subjects

The moment Rankin glimpsed the Queen laughing with one of her staff, he knew that was the shot he wanted. “I watched her walk down this long corridor at Buckingham Palace with a guy who must have been at least 6ft. She’s tiny, and she was looking up at him, smiling and chatting, and I thought, 'You’re exactly what I want you to be. You’re a real person’. ”

But the photographer, who shot Her Majesty back in 2002 as part of the Golden Jubilee celebrations, had only five minutes, and was desperate to make her laugh again. “So I started saying 'Ma’am’, like 'jam’. 'Ma’am, you have to smile, please’ – I was like Austin Powers. And she just laughed at me. She was really funny, making a lot of jokes – very dry. Photography is all about collaboration – and she gave it to me.”

The end result is the Queen grinning in front of the Union flag. “She wrote back to me, having seen the shot, saying, 'I love the stitching on the flag’. That’s the Queen’s way of not having an opinion. That’s classy. It’s like saying, 'I like the photograph, I’m just not commenting on myself’.
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...n_3160639b.jpg
Old 07-08-2016, 01:14 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Now that, m'friends, is the ultimate mastery of diplomacy.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Since no one else has posted about it, then I do it again.

The Queen is in Dundee today.

The Dundee papers were also full of it.
Thank you for your posts, Royal Norway.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
Thank you for your posts, Royal Norway.
You're very welcome!
Old 07-08-2016, 02:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I really like that portrait. It took me a few minutes to figure out just why and it finally hit me. The style in which it was painted blends in so very nicely with portraits that have been painted throughout the ages of historical personages as how they represent their roles and positions. Adding this one to a long list of paintings, it'd show a continuity not only of the monarchy and a beloved, long reigning monarch, but the continuity in the Order of the Thistle also.
I love this portrait as well for the very same reasons - it will stand the test of time. Does anyone know who the bust is on the table to the left of her? As nothing is left to chance in these portraits i am curious
Old 07-08-2016, 04:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I love this portrait as well for the very same reasons - it will stand the test of time. Does anyone know who the bust is on the table to the left of her? As nothing is left to chance in these portraits i am curious
https://www.royal.uk/new-portrait-he...nicky-philipps
Quote:
The Queen’s Body Guard for Scotland, Royal Company of Archers has commissioned a portrait of Her Majesty The Queen to mark The Queen’s 90th Birthday, which has been painted by the artist Nicky Philipps. The Queen is wearing the robes of The Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle and is depicted standing at the top of the staircase in Archers’ Hall. The picture includes a bust of Sir Walter Scott who was instrumental in establishing a ceremonial role for the Royal Company for the visit to Scotland by King George IV in 1822. Also included in the picture are the Colours of the Royal Company which were presented by The Queen in 1966. The portrait is full length and will hang in the dining room in Archers’ Hall.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Majesty

She looks very majestic in this portrait. Also, I see quite a resemblance to her mother around the eyes and brows.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
She looks very majestic in this portrait. Also, I see quite a resemblance to her mother around the eyes and brows.
I saw that too! But when I see her in videos and photos, then she looks like her grandmother.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:25 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

The Queen visits luxury jewellery showroom with Prince Philip | Daily Mail Online
Old 07-09-2016, 08:33 AM
Heir Apparent

A classic from the Duke: "Those sticky things."
Any visit to a jeweler makes it a good day, but I would have been over the moon to meet Andy Scott. I'd have had a thousand questions for him!
Old 07-20-2016, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

H.M.The Queen hosted an audience for the Governor of New South Wales at Buckingham Palace.

Queen Elizabeth Ii Pictures and Photos | Getty Images
Old 07-24-2016, 03:10 AM
Administrator

The Duke of Edinburgh attended the Royal Salute Coronation Cup at Guards Polo Club in Egham yesterday, July 23:

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery **
Old 07-25-2016, 03:54 PM
Majesty

The Queen visits exhibition showcasing 150 of her outfits
Old 07-26-2016, 04:57 AM
Administrator

As Admiral of the Royal Yacht Squadron the Duke of Edinburgh on July 22 visited Sir Ben Ainslie's America's Cup headquarters before going out on the water to see the team take part in a practice race.

** dailymail: All aboard! Prince Philip hops on a catamaran .. **

** telegraph.co.ukuke of Edinburgh takes to the waters to watch America's Cup World Series sailor Ben Ainslie in action **
Old 07-26-2016, 06:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 26: December 2014

The Royal Yacht Squadron is the yacht club sponsoring Land Rover BAR's America's cup challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-08-2016, 12:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen is greeted in style as she arrives in Balmoral for her summer break* | Daily Mail Online

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-12-2016, 07:13 AM
Administrator

The Duke of Edinburgh as Patron of the Outward Bound Trust visited the Trust's Ullswater Centre in Watermillock, Penrith, Cumbria, yesterday, August 11:

** fb gallery ** itv: Duke of Edinburgh visits Ullswater **
Old 09-03-2016, 08:50 AM
Heir Apparent

We've not seen Her Majesty in far too long! Not that I begrudge her a vacation, but that I am thrilled this is the Braemar Gathering Weekend! A lovely panorama here from Mark Cuthbert to get us all in the mood! https://twitter.com/markacuthbert/st...04715869507588

Tags
queen elizabeth ii, the duke of edinburgh