The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-30-2016, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh attended a Service on the eve of the centenary of the Battle of The Somme at Westminster Abbey on June 30th.

Getty Images

Royals Pictures and Photos | Getty Images

Old 07-01-2016, 09:42 AM
Royal Highness

Video:
Her Majesty the Queen, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh will attend a service on the eve of the centenary of the Battle of the Somme at Westminster Abbey. Friday 1st July marks the centenary of the Battle of the Somme. Westminster Abbey is marking the occasion with a Service on the Eve of the Centenary and an Overnight Vigil - the first time the Abbey has been open all night for a vigil since peace vigils for the Cuban Missile Crisis over fifty years ago.
Home - ITNSource News

Old 07-01-2016, 09:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Roya Nikkhah ‏@RoyaNikkhah
The Queen will open a new base @EastAngliAirAmb July 13th at Cambridge Airport where her grandson the Duke of Cambridge works as a pilot

East Anglian Air Amb @EastAngliAirAmb
We are delighted and honoured that The Queen will visit the @EastAngliAirAmb Cambridge Base on 13th July to open the Egerton-Smith Centre
Old 07-01-2016, 01:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

She doesn't travel light! The Queen arrives in Edinburgh ahead of Holyrood Week with her own branded red suitcases, three umbrellas and boxes full of Indian fruit* | Daily Mail Online

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-02-2016, 04:44 AM
Royal Highness

Yesterday:
The Royal Family ‏@RoyalFamily
The Queen begins her 'Holyrood Week' of engagements in Scotland with the Ceremony of the Keys
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmSxtHXWEAANGBD.jpg

Today:
The Crown of Scotland will be carried down the Royal Mile from Edinburgh Castle as the Queen formally opens the fifth session of the Scottish Parliament. Presented by Jackie Bird and Brian Taylor - on BBC One Scotland and BBC Parliament 10:55AM:
BBC One - The Royal Opening of the Scottish Parliament

For those outside the UK, watch it here 10:55AM on BBC Parliament:
Mediahhh Free UK TV Anywhere

Or watch parts of it here:
Old 07-02-2016, 07:00 AM
Royal Highness

Live coverage have started on BBC One Scotland and BBC Parliament.

Update - HM takes the lift instead of the stairs.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:35 AM
Royal Highness

Our beloved unifying monarch held a short but wise speech. And now the experts are already talking about what she realy meant - they even tried to make politics out of her birthday speech, which she held on June 12.

Queen Expresses Her Confidence In Scotland
Quote:
In her speech, the Queen said: "Of course, we all live and work in an increasingly complex and demanding world, where events and developments can, and do take place with remarkable speed and retaining the ability to stay calm and collected can, at times he hard.

"As this Parliament has successfully demonstrated over the years, one hallmark of leadership in such a fast moving world is allowing sufficient room for quiet thinking and contemplation, which can enable deeper, cooler consideration of how challenges and opportunities can be best addressed."

The monarch also referred to the devolution of significant new tax and welfare powers to Holyrood.

She added: "I wish you every success as you prepare to take on these extra responsibilities, and I remain confident that you will use the powers at your disposal wisely and continue to serve the interests of all the people of Scotland to the best of your ability."
Old 07-02-2016, 08:43 AM
Heir Apparent

The text of HM The Queen's speech to the Scottish Parliament

Visit Scottish ParliamentQueen's speech - Visit Scottish Parliament
Old 07-02-2016, 08:59 AM
Royal Highness

Leaders must make room for contemplation, queen tells scottish parliament | Daily Mail Online

Calm down Nicola! Queen tells Sturgeon and cronies now is a 'time for hope and optimism' as she urges Scottish Parliament members into 'quiet thinking and contemplation'* | Daily Mail Online

Queen urges calm in 'challenging world' - BBC News
Quote:
The Queen has acknowledged the difficulty of "staying calm and collected" in an "increasingly challenging world".

The monarch was speaking as she formally opened the fifth session of the Scottish Parliament.

She stressed the need for political leaders to make "room for quiet thinking and contemplation".

It comes as the fallout continues from the UK voting to leave the EU in last month's referendum.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video: Opening of the Scottish Parliament-
Scottish Parliament TV

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-02-2016, 09:43 AM
Royal Highness

The Queen urges Britain to calm down and allow time for 'quiet thinking' after Brexit vote
Quote:
he Queen has urged Britain’s political leaders to calm down in the wake of the chaos triggered by the Brexit vote and allow “room for quiet thinking and contemplation” before they decide their next move.

The monarch used her address at the opening of the fifth session of the Scottish Parliament to deliver coded advice to the UK’s political class on how they should conduct themselves in the wake of the vote to leave the European Union.

Referring to the political economic turmoil that has enveloped the country since, she said that Britons “live and work in an increasingly complex and demanding world” with events and developments occurring at “remarkable speed”.

The Queen admitted that the ability to “stay calm and collected” in such circumstances can be “hard” but argued that a major hallmark of leadership is the ability to take a step back.

She argued this would allow “sufficient room for quiet thinking and contemplation” and a “deeper consideration of how challenges and opportunities can be best addressed."
Old 07-03-2016, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

'Holyrood Week'

Getty Images

Queen Elizabeth Ii Opens Fifth Session Of The Scottish Parliament Pictures and Photos | Getty Images

Belga

http://portal.belgaimage.be/editoria...arliament%2520
Old 07-03-2016, 10:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Our beloved unifying monarch held a short but wise speech. And now the experts are already talking about what she realy meant - they even tried to make politics out of her birthday speech, which she held on June 12.

Queen Expresses Her Confidence In Scotland
I believe it is pretty obvious what the Queen meant and, yes, her speech had a very strong political tone, albeit implicit.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:30 PM
Royal Highness

The Queen looks lovely in lavender for a Sunday church service in Edinburgh | Daily Mail Online

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...7548950794.jpg

Delighted crowds flock to see the Queen as she attends church service in Edinburgh - Daily Record
Quote:
THE Queen has attended a church service in Edinburgh during her week-long visit to Scotland.

Hundreds lined the city's Royal Mile to catch a glimpse of the monarch and the Duke of Edinburgh as they visited the Canongate Kirk.

The Queen, who was wearing a matching jacket and hat in cornflower blue, was met by the kirk's minister the Reverend Neil Gardner.

Following the service, she spoke with members of the public who had gathered outside to present her with bouquets of flowers.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:17 PM
Royal Highness

Her Majesty looked happy and glorious today as she continued her engagements in Scotland:

The Queen holds an audience with @ScotGovFM Nicola Sturgeon at the Palace of Holyroodhouse #QueeninScotland
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmhV5UeXgAAOWU7.jpg

The Queen is hosting a reception this evening to recognise public service in Scotland #QueeninScotland

Guests at tonight's reception include physicists, doctors, sports coaches and charity fundraisers #QueeninScotland
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmilXCHXgAAZj6t.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmibgyAW8AEBvim.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cmiaj0zWAAAujbK.jpg

Videos:
The Queen has hosted Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon at Holyroodhouse today.
Home - ITNSource News

The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have hosted reception at Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh to recognise public service.
Home - ITNSource News
Old 07-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Royal Highness

Since no one else has posted about it, then I do it again.

The Queen is in Dundee today:

Huge crowds in Dundee as The Queen arrives @DDWaterfront to open Slessor Gardens #QueeninScotland pic.twitter.com/GTbYyLy6SH
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmrX6JGWIAA6BuB.jpg

The Queens opens the beautiful Slessor Gardens, named after the Dundee missionary Mary Slessor #QueeninScotland
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmrcFtmWgAAPzN4.jpg

What a reception for The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh @DundeeCouncil City Chambers! #QueeninScotland
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmrjpIgWEAEWhyJ.jpg

Michelin ‏@MichelinTyres
An absolute honour to welcome The Queen to our Dundee factory today @RoyalFamily #MichelinDundee #QueeninScotland
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmsA8qpW8AATyAm.jpg

University of Dundee ‏@dundeeuni
The Queen, happy to be in Dundee for her tour of the Leverhulme Research Centre at the uni. #QueeninScotland
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmsTyvXWIAACtNQ.jpg

Update - Articles from the BBC and the DF too:
Her Majesty opens waterfront gardens on Dundee visit - BBC News

The Queen and Prince Philip laugh heartily at a martial arts display in Dundee | Daily Mail Online

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...7819129527.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...7819078472.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...7819042667.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...7818993845.jpg

The Dundee papers were also full of it.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:38 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

HM has been out and about a lot lately, and she looks very happy too, which is great. How HM and Prince Philip still work in their old age is one of the many things that makes me admire them.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
HM has been out and about a lot lately, and she looks very happy too, which is great. How HM and Prince Philip still work in their old age is one of the many things that makes me admire them.
I have to believe that there's something that just "kicks in" whenever HM crosses the border over into Scotland. I do believe its where she feels most at home and that has to invigorate the spirit.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-06-2016, 06:16 PM
Royal Highness

Read more about the Queen's reception to recognise public service in Scotland on July 4:
The Queen honours Scots for commitment to public service at Holyrood Palace | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
She spoke to guests including Gillian Inglis, caretaker at Victoria Barracks near Ballater, which took in 200 people who fled their homes when flooding hit the area in December.

Ms Inglis, who has worked at the barracks for five years, housed and fed the residents - as well as their pets - for two weeks.

She said: 'The Queen was asking how Ballater was getting along now and I just told her that it was good.

'It is such a blur when you are faced with the Queen speaking to you.'

Shobna Vasishta, medical research register initiative leader and charity fundraiser at Dundee University, said she was delighted to meet the Queen - 64 years after her father met her in Kenya.

Ms Vasishta said: 'My father met her in 1952 in Nairobi when she was Princess Elizabeth - it was the day before her father died.

'I said that to her and the smile on her face was wonderful. My father suffers very badly from dementia, but when I phoned and told him today that I was meeting her, he said to make sure that I told her he was asking after her.'

Other guests said the Queen, who was wearing an Angela Kelly gold and black sequinned dress with a white silk wool jacket, had asked them about environmental issues and expressed an interest in women working in high-profile positions.

Professor Lesley Sawers, deputy chairwoman of the Scottish Environment Protection Agency, said: 'I told her I was deputy chair at Sepa and she was very interested in that.

'She said she liked to see women doing very important jobs and told me we needed to keep up the good work.'

David Duke of Street Soccer Scotland said the Queen asked him how he had begun the initiative, which works to help homeless people rebuild their lives through playing football.

He said: 'I told her that it had all come from my own experience of being homeless a long time ago.

'She was really interested. I never thought she would be as chatty and down to earth as she was.'

Other guests included Professor Jim Hough, associate director of the Institute for Gravitational Research at the University of Glasgow; disabled archery competitor and Invictus Games coach Richard Vallis; chef Tony Singh; and former MSP and chairwoman of the Institute of Directors in Scotland Susan Deacon.
HM is 90, but as ever still interested in people.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:25 PM
Royal Highness

Queen admires her newest portrait to mark her 90th birthday*
Quote:
It is rare for the Queen to be overshadowed in a photograph - but today the monarch found herself dwarfed by a full-length portrait of herself.

The new painting, commissioned to mark her 90th birthday, was unveiled in Edinburgh.

The Queen was shown the artwork by the artist herself, Nicky Philipps, for whom painting royalty is nothing new.

She has previously been commissioned by The National Portrait Gallery in London to paint Princes William and Harry, while her portrait of the Queen for the Diamond Jubilee commemorative first class stamp is on permanent display in the Throne Room at Buckingham Palace.

The latest portrait was produced from a sitting with the Queen at Windsor Castle earlier this year. Windsor is now her main residence, as she spends increasingly less time in London.

The full length portrait was commissioned by the Royal Company of Archers, the Queen's Bodyguard for Scotland, and will hang in the dining room at Archers' Hall in the Scottish capital.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/d...lTgwf-TOjU.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/d...Tvc4hIshbE.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmyiwaDXgAANOhz.jpg

Tags
queen elizabeth ii, the duke of edinburgh