Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 26: December 2014 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Queen presents leeks to the Royal Welsh Regiment to mark St David's Day
The Queen addressed the parade square and said it was a "great pleasure" to celebrate St David's Day with the regiment.

"I am also delighted to be able to present leeks to representatives of the regiment, from cadets to comrades, and to meet the new mascot, Llywelyn," she said.

"The British Army, perhaps more than any in the world, has always lived through the regiment and the regimental tradition.

"In the hour of battle it has repeatedly relied on these bonds, on the pride and comradeship of men who would sooner die than betray the traditions of their corps, or be unworthy of the men of old who fought before them under their colours.

"This is reflected in your regimental motto, Death rather than Dishonour.

"I see that same pride and comradeship in parade before us today and I am certain that the regiment is in good hands.

"I wish you all good fortune for the future."

Roya Nikkhah‏ @RoyaNikkhah
The Duke of Edinburgh dined with Tom Cruise at Buckingham Palace tonight at dinner for the 75th anniversary of Outward Bound Trust charity

Roya Nikkhah‏ @RoyaNikkhah
Looks like @TomCruise and the Duke of Edinburgh had plenty to smile about @OutwardBoundUK 75th anniversary dinner

https://twitter.com/RoyaNikkhah/status/839602632201289728

Last edited:
It looks like Philip has said something funny again.

Last edited:

Kazakhstan Ambassador to the UK Erlan Idrissov and Antonio Manuel Lagdameo, the Ambassador of the Philippines, presented their credentials to Queen Elizabeth yesterday, March 8:

** gettyimages gallery **

Queen Elizabeth received the Ambassador of Spain, the Ambassador of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the Governor of Queensland at Buckingham Palace today, March 14:

** gettyimages gallery **

The Queen is expected to give Royal Assent to the Brexit bill in the next few hours, paving the way for Theresa May to trigger Article 50.

Officially known as the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill, it passed the Parliamentary process following votes in the Commons and Lords on Monday.

When it becomes law, the Prime Minister is free to decide when to invoke the two-year negotiation period for Britain to leave the EU
Read more: Queen prepares to sign Brexit bill into British history

Queen’s visit to Scotland Yard cancelled following Westminster terror attack

BREAKING: Queen’s visit to Scotland Yard cancelled following Westminster terror attack – Royal Central
Certainly understandable...they're very busy with other things at the moment!
Isn't it wonderful that HM's response was both fast and appropriate.

How many times after major incidents of any type do we see Heads of State and politicians rushing to the scene to make political capital of a tragedy and generally get in the way, grandstand for TV with ill informed statements of what happened, why and what should be done about it.

The Queen has never rushed to the scene of any such event. In fact she has been criticised in the past for not attending the scene of such events at any time. Her staff are very efficient now at making statements on her behalf.

:previous: Yes she has been criticised but really, over the last thirty odd years, she has marshaled her forces with considerable sense and sent them to represent her.

I know that Prince Charles was visiting the injured in hospital but also noticed that time was left for the hospital to do what needed doing and next-of-kin were given time and privacy. The last thing they needed was an overly precipitous onslaught of royalty, politicians and media.

Actually, it is worth noting exactly who HM sends where and when. In this case William, Catherine and Harry's present, somewhat turbulent, personal lives would have diverted attention from the situation at hand.

Another point, we don't know what sort of "bedside manner" they have either. I am discounting the many trips to kids in hospitals because they are scheduled and the parameters are set. I believe Harry could handle their injuries going on how his interest in injured servicemen started and has proceeded, but not everyone is cut out for that.

The Queen has never rushed to the scene of any such event. In fact she has been criticised in the past for not attending the scene of such events at any time. Her staff are very efficient now at making statements on her behalf.

1. That's wrong. She is (as both Dickie Arbiter and other former employees says) known to write her many letters/statements herself.

2. She was criticized (by some few journalists) for the Aberfan disaster: The Queen's late Private Secretary Lord Charteris acknowledged that failing to go there sooner was her biggest regret.

But many experts have defended her in that dession too and I agree with them. She didn't want to get in the way of the rescue efforts that were still underway. She thought it better to delay her visit for a few days, saying "What if some poor child is still trapped in the wreckage, and won't be found because everyone will be busy looking after me?"

3. She was praised by experts (as she almost always is) for her reaction to the London bombings in 2005. She sent out this message on the same day it happened:

https://www.royal.uk/message-following-bomb-blasts-london
Yesterday's bombings in London have deeply affected us all. I know I speak for everyone in expressing my sympathy to those who have been caught up in these events and above all to the relatives and friends of those who have lost their lives. My thoughts are also with the injured some of whom I have been able to see and talk to today.

I also want to thank you and all members of the emergency services and Transport for London who are working with such care, professionalism and sensitivity often in very difficult circumstances. You have the respect of all of us as you go about your business.

Finally I want to express my admiration for the people of our capital city who in the aftermath of yesterday's bombings are calmly determined to resume their normal lives.

That is the answer to this outrage. Sadly we in Britain have been all too familiar with acts of terror and members of my generation, especially at this end of London, know that we have been here before. But those who perpetrate these brutal acts against innocent people should know that they will not change our way of life.

Atrocities such as these simply reinforce our sense of community, our humanity, and our trust in the rule of law. That is the clear message from us all.

And as a former royal houshold employee said in 2012, it was the Queen herself who took the decision to go to the hospital the day after the attack where she held this speech:

https://www.royal.uk/royal-london-hospital-following-terrorist-bombs-london-8-july-2005
Yesterday's bombings in London have deeply affected us all. I know I speak for everyone in expressing my sympathy to those who have been caught up in these events and above all to the relatives and friends of those who have lost their lives. My thoughts are also with the injured some of whom I have been able to see and talk to today.

I also want to thank you and all members of the emergency services and Transport for London who are working with such care, professionalism and sensitivity often in very difficult circumstances. You have the respect of all of us as you go about your business.

Finally I want to express my admiration for the people of our capital city who in the aftermath of yesterday's bombings are calmly determined to resume their normal lives.

That is the answer to this outrage. Sadly we in Britain have been all too familiar with acts of terror and members of my generation, especially at this end of London, know that we have been here before. But those who perpetrate these brutal acts against innocent people should know that they will not change our way of life.

Atrocities such as these simply reinforce our sense of community, our humanity, and our trust in the rule of law. That is the clear message from us all.

And the victims who met her at the hospital told how caring and warm she was. She also made a substantial donation to the London Bombings Relief Charitable Fund.

4. She is known for her kindness and there are so many touching stories about her. She comforts her employees, traumatized aid workers etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom