The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-17-2016, 10:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I was worried when you called it 'impressionist' for while I love impressionist paintings, many of the sculptures are way too modern IMO for my taste. But pleasantly surprised to see the lion, a bit of a stretch IMO to call it impressionist. I would love to see it in person

The queen was so touched and genuine at the ceremony. Amazing to see this side of her. She does have such a big heart.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Random question- does anyone know when the next British state visit is? I was wondering and couldn't find the info

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 05-18-2016, 06:11 AM
Courtier

Does anyone know where one could follow the State Opening of Parliament online? Thanks.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

For news about the State Opening of Parliament and details of live coverage, please see the following thread:

State Opening of Parliament 2002-2016
Old 05-26-2016, 05:10 AM
Administrator

Yesterday, May 25, the Duke of Edinburgh visited Grafham Water to celebrate the reservoir's 50th anniversary and to open a new facility to secure water supplies. It had been the Duke of Edinburgh who first opened Grafham Reservoir 50 years ago.

** grafham.org: A Right Royal Visit ** miltonkeynes.co.uk article with pics from 1966 **

** cambridge-news.co.uk: WATCH: The Duke of Edinburgh returns to Grafham Water 50 years after opening it **
Old 05-26-2016, 05:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Random question- does anyone know when the next British state visit is? I was wondering and couldn't find the info

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
I believe that there is to be a State Visit from Columbia in November this year. I can't find any information of any others. Usually there are two a year but the last one was last year, again in November, so that will be a year in between them.

They were planning a State Visit from Spain in February but it was cancelled due to the political situation in Spain.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Her Majesty The Queen Celebrates the 300th Anniversay of the Royal Artillery-
Home - ITNSource News

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-26-2016, 09:58 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Video:
Home - ITNSource News
Her Majesty used her Queenmobile for Inspection today:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjYa5Z4WsAApey_.jpg
Old 05-26-2016, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Video:
Home - ITNSource News

Here's a nice large gallery:

** gettyimages/zimbio: The Queen Celebrates 300 Years Of The Royal Artillery **

** dailymail: The Queen is welcomed with a 21-gun salute as she attends a parade to mark ..**
Old 05-27-2016, 04:19 AM
Administrator

The Duke of Edinburgh attended the ceremony of Beating Retreat performed by the Massed Bands of the Royal Marines at Horse Guards yesterday, May 26:

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery **
Old 05-30-2016, 09:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt
The Duke of Edinburgh will not attend commemorations marking the Battle of Jutland in Orkney following medical advice.

Prince Philip is not in hospital. Buckingham Palace hasn't said what is wrong with him.

It's understood Prince Philip has no plans to cancel any other engagements this week

Duke of Edinburgh to miss commemoration on medical grounds - ITV News
Old 05-30-2016, 10:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

I wish him well, but sometimes one just don't feel up to doing things.

The reality of these people age will continue to be more evident now.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-30-2016, 10:59 AM
Heir Apparent

He is 95 qand still active. It's rather the norm at his age that some (as minor as they could be) injuries or bothers can be overwhelming. Still, I am rather "slow" in accepting that. Wishing all the best to this enviable man!
Old 05-30-2016, 01:36 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I don't think he's ill. He's been advised not to go so he's not going. Whilst I can't imagine Philip took the decision lightly it's evidence that he is realising his age.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:47 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It could be anything from a slight cold to a turned ankle or anything minor that just requires a day or two of rest. I don't think there's any cause for real alarm either.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-30-2016, 01:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

If it was something minor, the palace would've mentioned it. Like when The Queen pulls out of an engagement due to a bad back or cold. There's some aspects of the Prince Philip's health that he and the palace don't want people to know about. That's his business of course, but he's about to turn 95 folks. Anything can come about at anytime.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-30-2016, 02:15 PM
Serene Highness

I suspect its simply because it means travelling such a long way. Interestingly Anne was planned to attend all along and I wonder if this is a new strategy that Philip attends events with other members of the RF so if he needs to skip it he can.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

It's a shame that Prince Philip will not be attending the event in Orkney as I'm sure he will be disappointed not to be going. By flight it's around 525 between London and Orkney so I guess a flight time of 1hr 30 mins - quite a trek there and back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36413087
Old 05-30-2016, 06:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Prince Philip's son in law, Vice Admiral Tim Laurence, explains Philip's disappointment in missing the event-
Philip 'Frustrated' To Miss Jutland Memorial

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-30-2016, 06:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

SkyNews UK just had an interview with Tim and he said he has a 'minor' issue and this is precautionary. I have paraphrased Tim's words by the way. I am sure he wouldn't be saying anything without the approval of HM and Philip (and Anne) of course so it sounds like more a precaution than a major health scare.

He has a very busy two weeks ahead and I am sure he wants to be beside HM over the birthday weekend next week:

9th June - a visit to the cricket (he loves his cricket and I am sure he would love to make his annual visit to Lords).
10th June - 95th birthday and a Church Service and Reception for the Commonwealth GGs
11th June - Trooping the Colour
12th June - the Party in the Mall
13th June - Garter Day
14th - 18th June - Ascot

Tags
queen elizabeth ii, the duke of edinburgh