The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-01-2017, 06:48 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip's Platinum Wedding Anniversary: November 20, 2017

Arms of HM The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

Platinum Wedding Anniversary
of
Queen Elizabeth II and The Duke of Edinburgh

November 20, 2017

Old 07-10-2017, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip's Platinum Wedding Anniversary: November 20, 2017

Dickie Arbiter‏ @RoyalDickie
10 July 1947, 70 years ago today, #KingGeorgeVI gave his consent to
#LtPhilipMountbatten to marry his eldest daughter #ThePrincessElizabeth
Pictures: https://twitter.com/RoyalDickie/stat...57346360786944

Majesty/Joe Little‏ @MajestyMagazine
SEVENTY years ago today Buckingham Palace announced the engagement of Princess Elizabeth and Lt. Philip Mountbatten RN.
https://twitter.com/MajestyMagazine/...24851496919045

Articles:
The Queen celebrates 70 years since engagement * | Daily Mail Online

A picture link in both articles called: The Queen and Prince Philip in pictures: A story of love, loyalty, and longevity:
Queen and Prince Philip in pictures: Engaged 70 years ago | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Queen and Prince Philip mark 70 years since royal engagement | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Old 07-10-2017, 01:04 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
WoW! Its amazing to think its been 70 years since they announced their engagement and today they're still going strong together. Through thick and thin and the ups and downs and everything else that has been thrown at these two people for seven decades, theirs is definitely a love story of the second Elizabethan age.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, really amazing! And I look forward to videos/pictures of what I believe will be a Westminster Abbey Service and a dinner hosted by Charles in November.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:39 PM

Has anyone heard or seen any official plans yet to mark the Platinum Wedding Anniversary on the 20th November. It is now only 8 weeks away so I would expect that if there is going to be a thanksgiving service or other events it would have been announced by now.

God Save The Queen!

Old 09-19-2017, 05:02 PM
Heir Apparent

The palace come under pressure (in March) from politicians/media to celebrate her Sapphire Jubilee. But according to people at the Palace, the theory was that the public will get a bit sick of jubilees if you have too many of them. Far better to focus on the really big ones, and mark the minor anniversaries in a low-key way. So the next large-scale celebrations will be in 2022, when the Queen celebrates her Platinum Jubilee (it's in fact already being planned).

Wedding Anniversaries:
The Queen's wedding anniversaries have not been celebrated with super-large-scale celebrations such as her Silver, Golden and Diamond Jubilees or the large celebrations of her 60th, 80th and 90th Birthdays, but they have been marked.

The Silver Wedding Anniversary 1972:
November 20th: There was a carriage procession from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Abbey where they attended a Service of Thanksgiving. (televised)

There was also a privat party at the palace in the evening.

The Golden Wedding Anniversary 1997:
November 19th: They attended a lunch at the Guildhall, where HM said ''he is someone who doesn't take easily to compliments, but he has, quite simply, been my strength and stay all these years and I and his whole family, in this and many other countries, owe him a debt far greater than he would ever claim or we shall ever know'. (televised)

They attended a golden Gala at the Festival Hall in London in the evening. (televised)

November 20th: They attended a Service of Thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey. (televised)

There was a private party at Windsor Castle in the evening.

The Diamond Wedding Anniversary 2007:
November 18th: Charles hosted a dinner for his parents at Clarence House.

November 19th: A National Service of Thanksgiving was held at Westminster Abbey. (televised)

The Platinum Wedding Anniversary 2017:
It was (after the Sapphire Jubilee discussions in March) the opinion of several royal watchers – that the Palace instead wanted to celebrate the Queen and Philip's 70th wedding anniversary in November, but we haven't heard anything since.

If it's going to be marked (as I think it will), then I think we'll see a private dinner (maybe hosted by Charles) and a televisied Service of Thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

It would be lovely to see a group photo with children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm guessing that some announcements about the celebrations will be made next month, once The Queen come back to Buckingham Palace.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-19-2017, 08:17 PM

Thanks! I'm just slightly surprised they have left it so late to announce anything! We will watch this space.

God Save The Queen!

Old 09-19-2017, 08:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol View Post
Thanks! I'm just slightly surprised they have left it so late to announce anything! We will watch this space.
Oh I'm sure the plans are already in place or being worked on now.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-19-2017, 09:08 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I may be wrong about this but from my understanding, the Queen looks at wedding anniversaries as more or less a private thing rather than wanting to have a big public celebration of it. Its different when it comes to her role in the monarchy such as the jubilees as that is something that is directly related to her service to the people as their Queen.

I really don't expect more to be announced other than a service of thanksgiving perhaps at Westminster Abbey and a private dinner with family. Its a personal celebration of Elizabeth and Philip.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:05 AM
Majesty

I believe you are correct. They have to share so much of their lives with the country, keeping their wedding anniversary to WA service of thanksgiving followed by a private dinner sounds more personal and relaxed, celebrating with family and friends where they can be themselves.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:46 AM
Majesty

New coin to mark their Platinum Anniversary

Duke of Edinburgh and the Queen to appear on £5 coin | Daily Mail Online

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/...#ixzz4uKPmsMcf
Old 10-02-2017, 04:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks eya!

Read more here:
Platinum Wedding 2017 UK Fine Silver £20 Coin

Platinum Wedding 2017 UK £5 Silver Proof Coin
Old 10-02-2017, 11:15 AM
Nobility

70 years is AMAZING!!! I am also looking forward to her Platinum Jubilee. I was just wondering yesterday what "metal" is used to describe 70 years.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Love this design! Great choice of them working side by side.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:51 PM
Nobility

I only now see the backside of the coin. The double portrait we've seen before (at least in other royal houses); so the horse riding on the other side sets it apart from other coins!
Old 10-17-2017, 02:16 AM
Majesty

Love song for Queen and Duke of Edinburgh’s 70th wedding anniversary | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

A new song for Queen and Duke of Edinburgh's 70th Wedding Anniversary
Old 10-20-2017, 05:58 PM

At this stage I would have expected any plans to mark the 70th wedding anniversary to have been announced. I think it’s safe to assume the day will go without any Thanksgiving Service or public occasion.

God Save The Queen!

Old 10-20-2017, 07:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

According to the Future Engagements on the BRF website no one has anything scheduled for that day.

Given that the BRF website isn't very reliable these days in reporting events either in advance or after they have occurred I am not sure what to read into that but 'no results found' comes up for all of them. Of course it is the last currently available so may update next week sometime.

I am beginning to think there will not be a big service at the Abbey but maybe a smaller one at St George's with just the close and extended family present and maybe some close friends and others who were there on the day but not a national celebration as they had 10, 20, 30 etc years ago.