Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip's Platinum Wedding Anniversary: November 20, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
16bho1w.png
2rzqwll.png

Arms of HM The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

Platinum Wedding Anniversary
of
Queen Elizabeth II and The Duke of Edinburgh

November 20, 2017

Last edited:
Dickie Arbiter‏ @RoyalDickie
10 July 1947, 70 years ago today, #KingGeorgeVI gave his consent to
#LtPhilipMountbatten to marry his eldest daughter #ThePrincessElizabeth
Pictures:
Majesty/Joe Little‏ @MajestyMagazine
SEVENTY years ago today Buckingham Palace announced the engagement of Princess Elizabeth and Lt. Philip Mountbatten RN.

Articles:
The Queen celebrates 70 years since engagement   | Daily Mail Online

A picture link in both articles called: The Queen and Prince Philip in pictures: A story of love, loyalty, and longevity:
Queen and Prince Philip in pictures: Engaged 70 years ago | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Queen and Prince Philip mark 70 years since royal engagement | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

WoW! Its amazing to think its been 70 years since they announced their engagement and today they're still going strong together. Through thick and thin and the ups and downs and everything else that has been thrown at these two people for seven decades, theirs is definitely a love story of the second Elizabethan age. :D

:previous: Yes, really amazing! And I look forward to videos/pictures of what I believe will be a Westminster Abbey Service and a dinner hosted by Charles in November.

Has anyone heard or seen any official plans yet to mark the Platinum Wedding Anniversary on the 20th November. It is now only 8 weeks away so I would expect that if there is going to be a thanksgiving service or other events it would have been announced by now.

:previous: The palace come under pressure (in March) from politicians/media to celebrate her Sapphire Jubilee. But according to people at the Palace, the theory was that the public will get a bit sick of jubilees if you have too many of them. Far better to focus on the really big ones, and mark the minor anniversaries in a low-key way. So the next large-scale celebrations will be in 2022, when the Queen celebrates her Platinum Jubilee (it's in fact already being planned).

Wedding Anniversaries:
The Queen's wedding anniversaries have not been celebrated with super-large-scale celebrations such as her Silver, Golden and Diamond Jubilees or the large celebrations of her 60th, 80th and 90th Birthdays, but they have been marked.

The Silver Wedding Anniversary 1972:
November 20th: There was a carriage procession from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Abbey where they attended a Service of Thanksgiving. (televised)

There was also a privat party at the palace in the evening.

The Golden Wedding Anniversary 1997:
November 19th: They attended a lunch at the Guildhall, where HM said ''he is someone who doesn't take easily to compliments, but he has, quite simply, been my strength and stay all these years and I and his whole family, in this and many other countries, owe him a debt far greater than he would ever claim or we shall ever know'. (televised)

They attended a golden Gala at the Festival Hall in London in the evening. (televised)

November 20th: They attended a Service of Thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey. (televised)

There was a private party at Windsor Castle in the evening.

The Diamond Wedding Anniversary 2007:
November 18th: Charles hosted a dinner for his parents at Clarence House.

November 19th: A National Service of Thanksgiving was held at Westminster Abbey. (televised)

The Platinum Wedding Anniversary 2017:
It was (after the Sapphire Jubilee discussions in March) the opinion of several royal watchers – that the Palace instead wanted to celebrate the Queen and Philip's 70th wedding anniversary in November, but we haven't heard anything since.

If it's going to be marked (as I think it will), then I think we'll see a private dinner (maybe hosted by Charles) and a televisied Service of Thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey.

It would be lovely to see a group photo with children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.

I'm guessing that some announcements about the celebrations will be made next month, once The Queen come back to Buckingham Palace.

Thanks! I'm just slightly surprised they have left it so late to announce anything! We will watch this space.

I may be wrong about this but from my understanding, the Queen looks at wedding anniversaries as more or less a private thing rather than wanting to have a big public celebration of it. Its different when it comes to her role in the monarchy such as the jubilees as that is something that is directly related to her service to the people as their Queen.

I really don't expect more to be announced other than a service of thanksgiving perhaps at Westminster Abbey and a private dinner with family. Its a personal celebration of Elizabeth and Philip.

:previous: I believe you are correct. They have to share so much of their lives with the country, keeping their wedding anniversary to WA service of thanksgiving followed by a private dinner sounds more personal and relaxed, celebrating with family and friends where they can be themselves.

New coin to mark their Platinum Anniversary

Duke of Edinburgh and the Queen to appear on £5 coin | Daily Mail Online

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa...s-70th-wedding-anniversary.html#ixzz4uKPmsMcf

Love song for Queen and Duke of Edinburgh’s 70th wedding anniversary | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

A new song for Queen and Duke of Edinburgh's 70th Wedding Anniversary

The day drab post-war Britain burst into joy: ROBERT HARDMAN on the amazing story behind The Queen and Prince Philip's wedding ahead of their 70th anniversary

Bridesmaid reveals the Secret for her Majesty's honeymoon smile

The secret of Her Majesty's honeymoon smile | Daily Mail Online

The Great British Cake Off! Queen to receive recreation of her 9ft-tall, 500lb cake which contains 700 eggs to mark her 70th wedding anniversary

70 years of Royal Romance in photos

Queen and Prince Philip wedding anniversary: 70 years of royal romance | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
Queen and Prince Philip anniversary: The day Britain celebrated royal wedding 70 years ago | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
70 years is AMAZING!!! I am also looking forward to her Platinum Jubilee. I was just wondering yesterday what "metal" is used to describe 70 years.

I only now see the backside of the coin. The double portrait we've seen before (at least in other royal houses); so the horse riding on the other side sets it apart from other coins!

At this stage I would have expected any plans to mark the 70th wedding anniversary to have been announced. I think it’s safe to assume the day will go without any Thanksgiving Service or public occasion.

According to the Future Engagements on the BRF website no one has anything scheduled for that day.

Given that the BRF website isn't very reliable these days in reporting events either in advance or after they have occurred I am not sure what to read into that but 'no results found' comes up for all of them. Of course it is the last currently available so may update next week sometime.

I am beginning to think there will not be a big service at the Abbey but maybe a smaller one at St George's with just the close and extended family present and maybe some close friends and others who were there on the day but not a national celebration as they had 10, 20, 30 etc years ago.

According to the Future Engagements on the BRF website no one has anything scheduled for that day.

Given that the BRF website isn't very reliable these days in reporting events either in advance or after they have occurred I am not sure what to read into that but 'no results found' comes up for all of them. Of course it is the last currently available so may update next week sometime.

I am beginning to think there will not be a big service at the Abbey but maybe a smaller one at St George's with just the close and extended family present and maybe some close friends and others who were there on the day but not a national celebration as they had 10, 20, 30 etc years ago.

There are engagements on line up to 11th December. Not even Remembrance Sunday and the Festival of Remembrance are in the Queens Diary on line, only the Glos and Wessexes. But we all know that everyone is attending. The Queen's diary never shows these sort of events, although the reason why is beyond my understanding!

I think there will be something - other place to keep an eye on is the Westminster Abbey site - they sometimes let the cat out of the bag early

Majesty Magazine - The Quality Royal Magazine

Its looking unlikely now, that any public event will happen on 20th November, 2017, for the Queen and Duke's 70th Wedding A.

Foreign Royals would have needed advance notice; and there is nothing on the Internet about a public celebration on that day?

Westminster Abbey » Events

NO Royal event is listed for the 20th November, either, in the Abbey.

Unless a quiet service is planned at St George's Chapel, Windsor???

With Prince Philips health lately, its likely they have chosen to do something small, with the family. They had the big event last year for her birthday, though they didn't invite foreign royals. Knowing the queen is frugal at the best of times, might have also weighed in on the decision. I hope, as much as its great to see the whole family together for photos, they have a nice private family event to celebrate.

I think HM has always seen her wedding anniversary as a private celebration for her and Philip and allowed much ado to be made by marking the years of her reign. Exceptions were made for the big markers, Silver, Gold, Diamond, etc. otherwise the celebrations have always been private, a thanksgiving service and family dinners.

Prince Philip has retired from being full-time Royal and Queen Elizabeth has announced that she will be reducing her workload considerable and leaving much of the work for Charles and the family. In the light of these two stepping back, it is not a stretch for them to consider their Platinum Anniversary as something they want to mark in their own way.

That October has arrived and magazines are finally announcing that it really does look like nothing has been planned, you have to laugh. It was announced in January of this year.

At this stage I would have expected any plans to mark the 70th wedding anniversary to have been announced. I think it’s safe to assume the day will go without any Thanksgiving Service or public occasion.
The Queen and Prince Philip keep will celebrate PRIVATELY their platinum bond | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
They marked their silver, golden and diamond anniversaries with national services of thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey.

However, royal sources have said they have no plans to take part in a similar public event when they reach 70 years of marriage on November 20.

:previous: I'm not completely surprised either, but I had expected a Thanksgiving Service.

I read they said way back at the first of the year they wouldn't have a public celebration etc.

LaRae

:previous: I'm not completely surprised either, but I had expected a Thanksgiving Service.

Me too. It could be a rather small affair but some kind of Thanksgiving Service would be nice. Maybe they still do it with only family members attending at one of the royal chapels... That would be 'private'.

I did expect a Service of Thanksgiving. Although, I found it weird that no announcement was made that one would be held. I’m guessing Charles will host a private party at Clarence House or Windsor.

It’s a shame because the country and world won’t get a chance to wish them a proper Happy Anniversary and we’re not sure they will be marking another major anniversary like that again. This is their last big celebration as husband and wife.

I think the Queen always has put a distinction between celebrations. For her, its right and proper to celebrate publicly milestones and anniversaries and such that pertain to the monarchy but when it comes to celebrating something that is personal to herself such as a birthday, anniversary, she would much rather celebrate those in private with her family.

Of course there are times when the public just doesn't relent and needs to celebrate the personal milestones of their beloved Queen such as her 90th birthday. With Philip's attitude of disliking any kind of fuss being made over him, its not surprising that their 70th wedding anniversary will be celebrated privately.

Back
Top Bottom