The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-27-2017, 07:09 PM
Majesty

The day drab post-war Britain burst into joy: ROBERT HARDMAN on the amazing story behind The Queen and Prince Philip's wedding ahead of their 70th anniversary

Old 10-27-2017, 07:35 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm impressed by this article. The Daily Mail (I usually say Fail) has published a very heartwarming and pertinent article about a 70 year old marriage that has endured through many decades of ups and downs and changes in a fast moving world. Mr. Hardman is to be commended.

From this article, I can actually see how, from the very beginning, HM, The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have been a central force that holds their country, the commonwealth nations and the people together. Tidbits on just how the people rallied around to ensure there was a joyous and a very suitable wedding fit for a princess with the public even making personal sacrifices to make it so just totally warms my heart.

Next month this couple will quietly celebrate their platinum wedding anniversary of 70 years. Not only is it a royal record or something that most of us can only aspire to, what stands out for me that the consistency and the steadfast connection that this couple has maintained with the people for the past 70 years. They may be celebrating quietly and privately but I don't think there are many people out there that won't be winging their own special congratulatory thoughts to this beloved couple.

Not only was Elizabeth and Philip's marriage made in heaven, it was also cemented with the support of all the people whose lives they have touched over the years.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:16 PM
Heir Apparent

1. That article is written by Robert Hardman - the guy who wrote the book ''Our Queen'' in 2011, where William told him that the Queen wanted him to marry in his Irish Guards uniform.

2. He's also written the BBC documentary ''The Queen's Castle'' (2005), the BBC documentary ''Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work'' (2007), the ITV documentary ''Our Queen'' (2013) and the ITV documentary ''Our Queen at Ninety'' (2016).

3. All his royal articles is very serious and pro monarchy.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:21 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Thanks, m'friend for more information on Mr. Hardman. He knows his stuff and his book "Our Queen" is one that I don't have yet and am adding it to my November list of books to get.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:34 PM
Serene Highness

I read in another Daily Mail article that the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have lost so many friends recently that another big celebration wouldn't feel the same and would have a sad note to it.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:57 AM
Majesty

The Great British Cake Off! Queen to receive recreation of her 9ft-tall, 500lb cake which contains 700 eggs to mark her 70th wedding anniversary

70 years of Royal Romance in photos

Queen and Prince Philip wedding anniversary: 70 years of royal romance | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
Queen and Prince Philip anniversary: The day Britain celebrated royal wedding 70 years ago | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
Old 10-29-2017, 08:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I read in another Daily Mail article that the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have lost so many friends recently that another big celebration wouldn't feel the same and would have a sad note to it.
That would be a consideration for not having a large party, but wouldn't necessarily for not having the public Service of Thanksgiving.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

70 Years of Marriage in Pictures!
Queen Elizabeth and Philip's platinum anniversary romance | Daily Mail Online

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Great pictures!

LaRae
Old 11-06-2017, 03:22 AM
Majesty

Bridesmaid reveals the Secret for her Majesty's honeymoon smile

The secret of Her Majesty's honeymoon smile | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-12-2017, 01:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Ingrid Seward's new book ''My Husband and I'' is being serialised by the Daily Fail starting tomorrow:
https://twitter.com/RoyalBiographer/...03968957763584
https://twitter.com/RoyalBiographer/...51296924798976

The Queen and Philip is the cover story in the November issue of Majesty Magazine:
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...89&oe=5A6720EC

Also the cover story in People:
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...89&oe=5AAAAAC6

And a special edition coming on Now 24:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOJKId2WAAA2trs.jpg

Patricia Treble‏ @PatriciaTreble
The most famous person in the world finally gets her first People cover (plus a special issue)
https://twitter.com/PatriciaTreble/s...87168762621952
Old 11-15-2017, 02:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Members of the royal family will gather for dinner to celebrate The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh’s 70th Wedding Anniversary at Windsor Castle, November 20th-
https://mobile.twitter.com/MajestyMa...00986779631616

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-15-2017, 02:59 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm hoping for an updated version of this photo from 2007.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I'm hoping for an updated version of this photo from 2007.
yes - would actually be wonderful if it was then turned into a painting for the royal collection - significant milestone and gathering of the family
Old 11-15-2017, 03:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, I think we’re all looking to see if we’ll get an updated version of that beautiful family portrait.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-15-2017, 05:15 PM
Majesty

"The state apartments at Windsor Castle will be off limits to visitors next Monday, 20 November – the Queen and Prince Philip's 70th wedding anniversary. A family dinner has been planned to celebrate this extra-special royal milestone."
https://twitter.com/MajestyMagazine/...00986779631616
Old 11-15-2017, 08:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
That would be a consideration for not having a large party, but wouldn't necessarily for not having the public Service of Thanksgiving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
Having seen Prince Philip on the balcony during the Remembrance Day Service I can only agree with the theory that had he continued to reside at BP he would feel obliged to do his bit.

During the Service he leaned on the wall and leaving the balcony he was bent over coughing his heart out. It seems he would not even allow himself a cough during the Service. A public Thanksgiving Service would not only be another "Command Performance", but he and Elizabeth would be the total focus and that would be exhausting.

For all their people love and respect them in a very "British" way, they would still have wanted to show them just how much they appreciate them celebrate such a rare milestone and would have expected a balcony appearance at the very least. That is not only tiring, cold temperatures could only raise further concerns about Prince Philip's health which seems to have become be a day to day concern.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:48 PM
Heir Apparent

I did not trust Joe and checked the WCastle web page:

"State Apartments closed on:
20 November

8 December

12 December

5 - 19 January 2018"

https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/v...lan-your-visit.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:11 PM
Heir Apparent

A look back at the Silver, Golden and Diamond Wedding Anniversary Celebrations in videos:

Silver Wedding Anniversary 1972:

November 20th:

Watch from 2:12:

Golden Wedding Anniversary 1997:
Even though the Queen was popular in the 1990 too, this was right after Diana's death, so the ITN commentaries below isn't as praising of the Queen as they were for her 80th/90th Birthdays and her Diamond Jubilee.

November 19th:
Queen Elizabeth and The Duke of Edinburgh's Golden Wedding... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

November 20th:
Queen and Prince Philip Collection 3; T20119701 The Queen and... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

Diamond Wedding Anniversary 2007:

November 19th:
Queen Elizabeth II diamond wedding anniversary service: arrivals;... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images
Queen Elizabeth II diamond wedding anniversary: Service departures;... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images
Queen Elizabeth II diamond wedding anniversary: Plaque unveiled; EXT... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images
Old 11-16-2017, 08:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Yes, I think we’re all looking to see if we’ll get an updated version of that beautiful family portrait.
I'd love to see one of The Queen and Duke with ALL their descendants (and spouses).