The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-20-2017, 08:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
According to the Future Engagements on the BRF website no one has anything scheduled for that day.

Given that the BRF website isn't very reliable these days in reporting events either in advance or after they have occurred I am not sure what to read into that but 'no results found' comes up for all of them. Of course it is the last currently available so may update next week sometime.

I am beginning to think there will not be a big service at the Abbey but maybe a smaller one at St George's with just the close and extended family present and maybe some close friends and others who were there on the day but not a national celebration as they had 10, 20, 30 etc years ago.
There are engagements on line up to 11th December. Not even Remembrance Sunday and the Festival of Remembrance are in the Queens Diary on line, only the Glos and Wessexes. But we all know that everyone is attending. The Queen's diary never shows these sort of events, although the reason why is beyond my understanding!

I think there will be something - other place to keep an eye on is the Westminster Abbey site - they sometimes let the cat out of the bag early

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-21-2017, 03:14 AM
Courtier

Majesty Magazine - The Quality Royal Magazine

Its looking unlikely now, that any public event will happen on 20th November, 2017, for the Queen and Duke's 70th Wedding A.

Foreign Royals would have needed advance notice; and there is nothing on the Internet about a public celebration on that day?

Westminster Abbey » Events

NO Royal event is listed for the 20th November, either, in the Abbey.

Unless a quiet service is planned at St George's Chapel, Windsor???

Old 10-21-2017, 03:26 AM
Majesty

With Prince Philips health lately, its likely they have chosen to do something small, with the family. They had the big event last year for her birthday, though they didn't invite foreign royals. Knowing the queen is frugal at the best of times, might have also weighed in on the decision. I hope, as much as its great to see the whole family together for photos, they have a nice private family event to celebrate.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:19 AM
Majesty

I think HM has always seen her wedding anniversary as a private celebration for her and Philip and allowed much ado to be made by marking the years of her reign. Exceptions were made for the big markers, Silver, Gold, Diamond, etc. otherwise the celebrations have always been private, a thanksgiving service and family dinners.

Prince Philip has retired from being full-time Royal and Queen Elizabeth has announced that she will be reducing her workload considerable and leaving much of the work for Charles and the family. In the light of these two stepping back, it is not a stretch for them to consider their Platinum Anniversary as something they want to mark in their own way.

That October has arrived and magazines are finally announcing that it really does look like nothing has been planned, you have to laugh. It was announced in January of this year.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol View Post
At this stage I would have expected any plans to mark the 70th wedding anniversary to have been announced. I think it’s safe to assume the day will go without any Thanksgiving Service or public occasion.
The Queen and Prince Philip keep will celebrate PRIVATELY their platinum bond | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
Quote:
They marked their silver, golden and diamond anniversaries with national services of thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey.

However, royal sources have said they have no plans to take part in a similar public event when they reach 70 years of marriage on November 20.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:32 PM

I have to say I’m not completely surprised. It’s sad in one way but understandable that at 91 and 96 they want to celebrate privately.

God Save The Queen!

Old 10-22-2017, 06:39 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm not completely surprised either, but I had expected a Thanksgiving Service.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:46 PM
Heir Apparent

I read they said way back at the first of the year they wouldn't have a public celebration etc.

LaRae
Old 10-22-2017, 06:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I'm not completely surprised either, but I had expected a Thanksgiving Service.
Me too. It could be a rather small affair but some kind of Thanksgiving Service would be nice. Maybe they still do it with only family members attending at one of the royal chapels... That would be 'private'.
Imperial Majesty

I did expect a Service of Thanksgiving. Although, I found it weird that no announcement was made that one would be held. I’m guessing Charles will host a private party at Clarence House or Windsor.

It’s a shame because the country and world won’t get a chance to wish them a proper Happy Anniversary and we’re not sure they will be marking another major anniversary like that again. This is their last big celebration as husband and wife.

A.W. TOZER
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think the Queen always has put a distinction between celebrations. For her, its right and proper to celebrate publicly milestones and anniversaries and such that pertain to the monarchy but when it comes to celebrating something that is personal to herself such as a birthday, anniversary, she would much rather celebrate those in private with her family.

Of course there are times when the public just doesn't relent and needs to celebrate the personal milestones of their beloved Queen such as her 90th birthday. With Philip's attitude of disliking any kind of fuss being made over him, its not surprising that their 70th wedding anniversary will be celebrated privately.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:14 PM
Aristocracy

God bless them, I hope they have a wonderful day. I’m sure the family will be stopping by to wish them love. It wouldn’t surprise me if, eventually, a picture is released of this occasion.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:39 PM
Royal Highness

I guess part of the decision not to do anything public may be that one half of the couple has now retired
Old 10-22-2017, 08:08 PM
Heir Apparent

1. The Queen celebrated her Silver, Golden and (especially) Diamond Jubilees with enormous super-large-scale celebrations. Much bigger than what we've seen in Norway, Denmark and Sweden.

2. She also went big for her 60th and 80th birthdays and very big for her 90th. The celebrations in 2016 was much bigger than what we've seen in Norway, Denmark and Sweden.

3. She has also marked all her previous milestone wedding anniversaries with public celebrations:

The Silver Wedding Anniversary 1972:
November 20th: There was a carriage procession from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Abbey where they attended a Service of Thanksgiving. (televised)

There was also a privat party at the palace in the evening.

The Golden Wedding Anniversary 1997:
November 19th: They attended a lunch at the Guildhall, where HM said ''he is someone who doesn't take easily to compliments, but he has, quite simply, been my strength and stay all these years and I and his whole family, in this and many other countries, owe him a debt far greater than he would ever claim or we shall ever know'. (televised)

They attended a golden Gala at the Festival Hall in London in the evening. (televised)

November 20th: They attended a Service of Thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey. (televised)

There was a private party at Windsor Castle in the evening.

The Queen went very big that year, and even foreign royals was invited - why? Because she didn't do anything for her 70th the year before.

The Diamond Wedding Anniversary 2007:
November 18th: Charles hosted a dinner for his parents at Clarence House.

November 19th: A National Service of Thanksgiving was held at Westminster Abbey. (televised)

4. So as people can see from the above celebrations, HM is not afraid to celebrate whether it's jubilees or more personal events such as birthdays and wedding anniversaries.

5. And the danish journalist Ulla Terkelsen and the norwegian royal expert Kjell Arne Totland has described the Queen as the biggest party girl in the world when it comes to celebrations of her milestones.

So why not now? Three possible explanations:

1. Because Philip is no longer carrying out public engagements.

2. Because Philip is 96 and no longer feels up to it.

3. Because the Queen went very big for her 90th birthday last year.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I did expect a Service of Thanksgiving. Although, I found it weird that no announcement was made that one would be held. I’m guessing Charles will host a private party at Clarence House or Windsor.

It’s a shame because the country and world won’t get a chance to wish them a proper Happy Anniversary and we’re not sure they will be marking another major anniversary like that again. This is their last big celebration as husband and wife.
People can send them a card.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-22-2017, 08:18 PM
Majesty

Maybe its just that...it is their last big anniversary they will celebrate. They have shared all their anniversaries with the public until now. And all of their big occasions as well. Possibly they just want to celebrate it as a family for once in their marriage. I have little doubt Charles will likely host something for them.

I don't get how this prevents 'the world from wishing them a happy anniversary'. Well wishes can still be sent to the couple. There will probably be specials on tv. It doesn't require a public thanksgiving celebration.

If we really want to wish them a happy anniversary, we should wish them to be able to celebrate it as they choose.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
People can send them a card.
They always do. I just expected a service for this major milestone. I hope they get to have a nice reception and dinner party with their family and friends though. It’s truly a big moment for them.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-22-2017, 09:48 PM
Courtier

Maybe since this may be one of the last milestone anniversaries they will celebrate together they want to be private with their family. They have shared so many milestones with everyone their whole married life, they deserve to celebrate however they choose.

Edit--I just noticed I posted something very similar to Countessmeout before I read her post.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:51 AM
Courtier

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/...ng-anniversary

Queen and Duke of Edinburgh - no public celebration for 20 Nov 2017.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh’s 70th Wedding Anniversary Dinner at Windsor Castle-
Queen hosts a very select do for 70th wedding anniversary | Daily Mail Online

A.W. TOZER