Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip's Platinum Wedding Anniversary: November 20, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
God bless them, I hope they have a wonderful day. I’m sure the family will be stopping by to wish them love. It wouldn’t surprise me if, eventually, a picture is released of this occasion.

I guess part of the decision not to do anything public may be that one half of the couple has now retired

1. The Queen celebrated her Silver, Golden and (especially) Diamond Jubilees with enormous super-large-scale celebrations. Much bigger than what we've seen in Norway, Denmark and Sweden.

2. She also went big for her 60th and 80th birthdays and very big for her 90th. The celebrations in 2016 was much bigger than what we've seen in Norway, Denmark and Sweden.

3. She has also marked all her previous milestone wedding anniversaries with public celebrations:

The Silver Wedding Anniversary 1972:
November 20th: There was a carriage procession from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Abbey where they attended a Service of Thanksgiving. (televised)

There was also a privat party at the palace in the evening.

The Golden Wedding Anniversary 1997:
November 19th: They attended a lunch at the Guildhall, where HM said ''he is someone who doesn't take easily to compliments, but he has, quite simply, been my strength and stay all these years and I and his whole family, in this and many other countries, owe him a debt far greater than he would ever claim or we shall ever know'. (televised)

They attended a golden Gala at the Festival Hall in London in the evening. (televised)

November 20th: They attended a Service of Thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey. (televised)

There was a private party at Windsor Castle in the evening.

The Queen went very big that year, and even foreign royals was invited - why? Because she didn't do anything for her 70th the year before.

The Diamond Wedding Anniversary 2007:
November 18th: Charles hosted a dinner for his parents at Clarence House.

November 19th: A National Service of Thanksgiving was held at Westminster Abbey. (televised)

4. So as people can see from the above celebrations, HM is not afraid to celebrate whether it's jubilees or more personal events such as birthdays and wedding anniversaries.

5. And the danish journalist Ulla Terkelsen and the norwegian royal expert Kjell Arne Totland has described the Queen as the biggest party girl in the world when it comes to celebrations of her milestones.

So why not now? Three possible explanations:

1. Because Philip is no longer carrying out public engagements.

2. Because Philip is 96 and no longer feels up to it.

3. Because the Queen went very big for her 90th birthday last year.

I did expect a Service of Thanksgiving. Although, I found it weird that no announcement was made that one would be held. I’m guessing Charles will host a private party at Clarence House or Windsor.

It’s a shame because the country and world won’t get a chance to wish them a proper Happy Anniversary and we’re not sure they will be marking another major anniversary like that again. This is their last big celebration as husband and wife.

People can send them a card.

Maybe its just that...it is their last big anniversary they will celebrate. They have shared all their anniversaries with the public until now. And all of their big occasions as well. Possibly they just want to celebrate it as a family for once in their marriage. I have little doubt Charles will likely host something for them.

I don't get how this prevents 'the world from wishing them a happy anniversary'. Well wishes can still be sent to the couple. There will probably be specials on tv. It doesn't require a public thanksgiving celebration.

If we really want to wish them a happy anniversary, we should wish them to be able to celebrate it as they choose.:flowers:

People can send them a card.

They always do. I just expected a service for this major milestone. I hope they get to have a nice reception and dinner party with their family and friends though. It’s truly a big moment for them.

Maybe since this may be one of the last milestone anniversaries they will celebrate together they want to be private with their family. They have shared so many milestones with everyone their whole married life, they deserve to celebrate however they choose.

Edit--I just noticed I posted something very similar to Countessmeout before I read her post.:flowers:

I'm impressed by this article. The Daily Mail (I usually say Fail) has published a very heartwarming and pertinent article about a 70 year old marriage that has endured through many decades of ups and downs and changes in a fast moving world. Mr. Hardman is to be commended.

From this article, I can actually see how, from the very beginning, HM, The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have been a central force that holds their country, the commonwealth nations and the people together. Tidbits on just how the people rallied around to ensure there was a joyous and a very suitable wedding fit for a princess with the public even making personal sacrifices to make it so just totally warms my heart.

Next month this couple will quietly celebrate their platinum wedding anniversary of 70 years. Not only is it a royal record or something that most of us can only aspire to, what stands out for me that the consistency and the steadfast connection that this couple has maintained with the people for the past 70 years. They may be celebrating quietly and privately but I don't think there are many people out there that won't be winging their own special congratulatory thoughts to this beloved couple.

Not only was Elizabeth and Philip's marriage made in heaven, it was also cemented with the support of all the people whose lives they have touched over the years.

:previous:

1. That article is written by Robert Hardman - the guy who wrote the book ''Our Queen'' in 2011, where William told him that the Queen wanted him to marry in his Irish Guards uniform.

2. He's also written the BBC documentary ''The Queen's Castle'' (2005), the BBC documentary ''Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work'' (2007), the ITV documentary ''Our Queen'' (2013) and the ITV documentary ''Our Queen at Ninety'' (2016).

3. All his royal articles is very serious and pro monarchy.

Thanks, m'friend for more information on Mr. Hardman. He knows his stuff and his book "Our Queen" is one that I don't have yet and am adding it to my November list of books to get. :D

I read in another Daily Mail article that the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have lost so many friends recently that another big celebration wouldn't feel the same and would have a sad note to it.

I read in another Daily Mail article that the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have lost so many friends recently that another big celebration wouldn't feel the same and would have a sad note to it.

That would be a consideration for not having a large party, but wouldn't necessarily for not having the public Service of Thanksgiving.

Great pictures!

LaRae

Ingrid Seward's new book ''My Husband and I'' is being serialised by the Daily Fail starting tomorrow:

The Queen and Philip is the cover story in the November issue of Majesty Magazine:
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=53e0f157d6343615538b90f1db00fc89&oe=5A6720EC

Also the cover story in People:
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=0aab5f2b04cdee41391150ceb5308c89&oe=5AAAAAC6

And a special edition coming on Now 24:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOJKId2WAAA2trs.jpg

Patricia Treble‏ @PatriciaTreble
The most famous person in the world finally gets her first People cover (plus a special issue)

Last edited:
I'm hoping for an updated version of this photo from 2007.

I'm hoping for an updated version of this photo from 2007.

yes - would actually be wonderful if it was then turned into a painting for the royal collection - significant milestone and gathering of the family

Yes, I think we’re all looking to see if we’ll get an updated version of that beautiful family portrait.

That would be a consideration for not having a large party, but wouldn't necessarily for not having the public Service of Thanksgiving.
Having seen Prince Philip on the balcony during the Remembrance Day Service I can only agree with the theory that had he continued to reside at BP he would feel obliged to do his bit.

During the Service he leaned on the wall and leaving the balcony he was bent over coughing his heart out. It seems he would not even allow himself a cough during the Service. A public Thanksgiving Service would not only be another "Command Performance", but he and Elizabeth would be the total focus and that would be exhausting.

For all their people love and respect them in a very "British" way, they would still have wanted to show them just how much they appreciate them celebrate such a rare milestone and would have expected a balcony appearance at the very least. That is not only tiring, cold temperatures could only raise further concerns about Prince Philip's health which seems to have become be a day to day concern.

A look back at the Silver, Golden and Diamond Wedding Anniversary Celebrations in videos:

Silver Wedding Anniversary 1972:

November 20th:

Watch from 2:12:

Golden Wedding Anniversary 1997:
Even though the Queen was popular in the 1990 too, this was right after Diana's death, so the ITN commentaries below isn't as praising of the Queen as they were for her 80th/90th Birthdays and her Diamond Jubilee.

November 19th:
Queen Elizabeth and The Duke of Edinburgh's Golden Wedding... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

November 20th:
Queen and Prince Philip Collection 3; T20119701 The Queen and... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

Diamond Wedding Anniversary 2007:

November 19th:
Queen Elizabeth II diamond wedding anniversary service: arrivals;... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images
Queen Elizabeth II diamond wedding anniversary: Service departures;... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images
Queen Elizabeth II diamond wedding anniversary: Plaque unveiled; EXT... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

Last edited:
Yes, I think we’re all looking to see if we’ll get an updated version of that beautiful family portrait.

I'd love to see one of The Queen and Duke with ALL their descendants (and spouses).

I went through the Silver, Golden and Diamond Wedding Anniversary Celebrations in videos in post 59, and here's a look back in photos as well:

Silver Wedding Anniversary 1972 - 43 photos:
The Queen's Silver Wedding Anniversary 1972 Pictures and Photos | Getty Images

Golden Wedding Anniversary 1997 - 166 photos:
The Queen's Golden Wedding Anniversary 1997 Pictures and Photos | Getty Images

Diamond Wedding Anniversary 2007 - 363 photos:
Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Wedding Anniversary 2007 Pictures and Photos | Getty Images

Two quotes from this long Telegraph article from Sally Bedell Smith:
The Queen and Prince Philip at 70 years of marriage: a portrait of domestic intimacy
Late last spring, the Queen arrived at Cumberland Lodge, a royal residence in Windsor Great Park where her father, King George VI, had established an educational foundation to encourage exchanges between people with differing religious and political views. As the foundation’s patron, she was due to be briefed by one of her former advisers on plans for its 70th anniversary celebrations.

At the last minute, the Duke of Edinburgh—only days away from his 96th birthday—joined his wife for the reception and presentation. Spotting the Queen’s courtier who he hadn’t seen in over a decade, Prince Philip exclaimed, “I see you are being recycled!”

The Queen couldn’t help smiling. Such moments of levity have been an essential ingredient in their 70-year marriage, the anniversary of which is on Monday. During their honeymoon at Birkhall on the royal Balmoral estate in November 1947, Philip set out his ambition for their life together in a letter to his mother-in-law: “to weld the two of us into a new combined existence that will not only be able to withstand the shocks directed at us but will also have a positive existence for the good.”

As the Duke of Edinburgh spends more time in his retirement at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate – a modest refuge of tranquility that he has enjoyed for many years – he and his wife of seven decades can enjoy the camaraderie of shooting luncheons in a nearby barn. When she is at Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle carrying out her duties, he remains her emotional touchstone, and they try to speak on the phone every day.

There was a special poignancy in their moment of solidarity on the balcony of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office while watching the Remembrance Sunday commemoration scarcely a week before their milestone wedding anniversary. It was a reminder that their public role together will continue to diminish.

No service will be held in their honour at Westminster Abbey this year as there was a decade ago. But it is worth remembering the verse by poet laureate Andrew Motion read by Judi Dench that day, commending Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh for “a life where duty spoke in languages their tenderness could share, a life remote from ours because it asked each day, each action, to be kept in view.”

Two days to go, and more articles from the Telegraph and DF:

Queen to celebrate another 70th anniversary milestone as entire family gathers in Windsor to mark the occasion
In their record-breaking lifetime of service, the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh will no doubt have lost count of the toasts raised to their achievements, health and happiness.

Surely none, though, will mean more than seeing their children, grandchildren and closest friends raise a glass to them on Monday evening, in celebration of 70 years of the most successful marriage in British Royal history.

The Queen and Duke will mark their platinum wedding anniversary on November 20, in a milestone no other monarch has achieved and will likely never surpass.

The date will see them join a select group of devoted spouses to reach the landmark anniversary, with the Queen helping just 1,260 other couples celebrate a 70th wedding anniversary with a personal card from Buckingham Palace so far this year.

It is another landmark for Her Majesty, who has already become the longest-reigning monarch in UK history at 65 years, and the longest-lived at 91.

Two quotes from this long article:
'I helped make The Queen's wedding dress, and loved it so much I used the pattern for my own'
It may be 70 years since the wedding of Princess Elizabeth to Phillip Mountbatten, but Betty Foster’s memory of the time is still as sharp as a dressmaker’s pin. Now 89, Betty, from Harold Wood in Essex, was one of the seamstresses working in the studio of couturier Norman Hartnell when he was entrusted with the commission of a lifetime: to create the wedding gown of the glamorous young Princess and future Queen.

“I think it was the most wonderful dress of the century,” Betty declares proudly. “When you look back at the Queen Mother’s wedding dress, or Queen Victoria’s, they were very plain by comparison.”

“One day, the Queen (later the Queen Mother), Princess Margaret, the Duchess of Gloucester and Queen Mary arrived because they wanted to see where the dress was being made. Mr Hartnell was telling them about some Americans who had rented a flat opposite to see if they could get a glimpse of the dress. Of course, they couldn’t, but Queen Mary said in her very deep voice: ‘What a bore!’ She was so regal, every inch a Queen.”

Although Betty didn’t go to the wedding itself, she still remembers having a special ticket for a viewing point outside Buckingham Palace where she glimpsed the Princess in the carriage.

“She looked so beautiful,” she gasps at the memory. Years later, she saw the dress at an exhibition at the palace. “I wanted to see the back, because I never remembered if I made 20 or 22 buttonholes, but I couldn’t see. I think it’s getting very frail now but it was still magical.”

Queen's 70th wedding anniversary marked with stamps | Daily Mail Online
A new set of stamps is being issued to commemorate the 70th wedding anniversary of the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh, including images of their wedding and honeymoon.

The six stamps include an image of the royal couple on their honeymoon in the grounds of Broadlands, Romsey, Hampshire, looking at photographs of their wedding and one of the royal couple walking down the aisle of Westminster Abbey after their wedding service on November 20 1947.

Two stamps mark their engagement announcement in July 1947, showing the couple at Buckingham Palace.

Today's Telegraph front page with a picture from Her Majesty's 80th birthday celebrations in 2006:
https://d2kmm3vx031a1h.cloudfront.net/VmMhUDQRRguv3fJ3BgPb_TELEGRAPH.PNG

Last edited:
These are such great articles and photos. Thank you for taking the trouble to post all the links, ROYAL NORWAY.

Seventy years married. What a wonderful achievement it is, a journey together that began on a cool November day amid the austerity of post war London. and a record that probably will not be broken for a very very long time. I hope the couple have a wonderful time at the celebratory dinner with all their family around them and reflect on the happy memories of all the years.

Back
Top Bottom