Queen Elizabeth & Prince Philip: State Visit to Malta & CHOGM - November 26-28, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget the Wit and Humor of PP. The Queen busts a funny: Prime Minister Muscat,, As Head of the Commonwealth, it is with great pleasure that I welcome you all here this evening.​
Thank you, Mr Prime Minister of Canada, for making me feel so old! We are grateful to be with you for the second Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting hosted by Malta, and I hope that this occasion will allow you to gather as friends and enjoy Malta's hospitality.​

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsa...oastattheCHOGMDinnerinMalta27November201.aspx

The Queen joked with the Canadian Prime Minister that he had "made her feel so old" after he spoke of her historic visits to Canada.

Justin Trudeau toasted the monarch at a Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (Chogm) banquet at the Corinthia Hotel in Malta.

He began his speech in French before joking that he is not the youngest prime minister but the newest.

Mr Trudeau went on to recount the Queen's past visits to Canada, including in Ottawa when she signed the Constitution Act in 1982.

He was visibly emotional as he spoke of his father attending the event before quipping that the Queen has "seen more of Canada than most Canadians".

The Queen responded by joking that the Canadian prime minister had made her feel "so old".

She said: "As Head of the Commonwealth, it is with great pleasure that I welcome you all here this evening.

"Thank you, Mr Prime Minister of Canada, for making me feel so old.
Read more: Queen jokes the Canadian PM made her 'feel old' at Commonwealth banquet - BT

Last edited:
^ Both the Queen and Camilla have brought out the big guns as far as their jewellery is concerned. As I dearly love a tiara occasion (few and far between as far as the BRF is concerned) I very much approve!

I think the Queen and Prince Philip seem to be thoroughly enjoying their trip to Malta so far, a trip full of nostalgia. I too think that in her speech the Queen was signalling to the Commonwealth leaders that for the rest of her reign probably the Prince of Wales will be deputising for her at future CHOGMs unless they are held in Britain. I don't think she would be so presumptuous as to suggest that Charles will automatically follow her as Head of the Commonwealth, though obviously she hopes he will.

Was it really a joke or did the Queen find Trudeau's remarks rude and annoying ? I am sure Mr Trudeau meant it well, but it may have sounded that way.

^ Both the Queen and Camilla have brought out the big guns as far as their jewellery is concerned. As I dearly love a tiara occasion (few and far between as far as the BRF is concerned) I very much approve!

I think the Queen and Prince Philip seem to be thoroughly enjoying their trip to Malta so far, a trip full of nostalgia. I too think that in her speech the Queen was signalling to the Commonwealth leaders that for the rest of her reign probably the Prince of Wales will be deputising for her at future CHOGMs unless they are held in Britain. I don't think she would be so presumptuous as to suggest that Charles will automatically follow her as Head of the Commonwealth, though obviously she hopes he will.

It is weird though to see men wearing condecorations with black tie attire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was it really a joke or did the Queen find Trudeau's remarks rude and annoying ? I am sure Mr Trudeau meant it well, but it may have sounded that way.

I believe it is a joke to I mean the last time Her Majesty met with our Prime Minister was when he was just a little boy and son to another Prime Minister Trudeau.

Well, if she did not see the humor, then her comment tonight was a complete blast at Trudeau and Canada. Is that the Queen's style? To embarrass the Canadian PM in front of all the Commonwealth ministers? I think not. I think she is quite pleased to see the circles that history plays out.
Her old villa in Malta may be a bit run down while Trudeau is quite pleasing to the eye. :whistling:

Well, if she did not see the humor, then her comment tonight was a complete blast at Trudeau and Canada. Is that the Queen's style? To embarrass the Canadian PM in front of all the Commonwealth ministers? I think not. I think she is quite pleased to see the circles that history plays out.
Her old villa in Malta may be a bit run down while Trudeau is quite pleasing to the eye. :whistling:

Well, I'd be embarassed if I were in Trudeau's shoes and got a line like that from the Queen. In fact, I think Trudeau has been annoying since his meeting with the Queen in London when he made that comment about the "Queen being much taller" the last time the two met.

Quite frankly, Trudeau met the Queen once when he was a boy because of his father. He is trying to imply a degree of initimacy with the Queen that he doesn't have and, to me, that sounds embarassing.

Maybe I am the one not getting the humor after all.

Last edited:
Well, I'd be embarassed if I were in Trudeau's shoes and got a line like that from the Queen. In fact, I think Trudeau has been annoying since his meeting with the Queen in London when he made that comment about the "Queen being much taller" the last time the two met.

Quite frankly, Trudeau met the Queen once when he was a boy because of his father. He is trying to imply a degree of initimacy with the Queen that he doesn't have and, to me, that sounds embarassing.

Wow...I think you're completely misreading the situation, misunderstanding Trudeau's personality as well as the nature of the Queen's relationship with her Canadian prime ministers. She had quite a history with Pierre Trudeau so I'm pretty sure Justin Trudeau met her more than once.
I think her line about feeling old was typical of a dry sense of humour.

If you read the actual text of Trudeau's toast, it's quite endearing, there's nothing offensive in it. The reference to her feeling old is to the fact that he referred to the various significant dates in Canadian history which the Queen has been a part of (starting with 1935).

Here's the entire text and video of the toast:
Justin Trudeau's toast to the Queen elicits cheeky response - Politics - CBC News

Trudeau later responded to the queen via Twitter: (mentioned in the article too)
"On the contrary, you are forever young. I was honoured to toast your lifetime of service tonight."

By Robert Hardman
The Queen indicates Prince Charles is the future of the Brtitish monarchy | Daily Mail Online
Whisper it, but was this a royal handover? The Queen gives her clearest indication yet that Prince Charles is the future of the monarchy, writes Robert Hardman

Unlike all the other trappings which go with being the British Sovereign, the Commonwealth is not automatic. All agree the Queen has been the single most important factor in keeping the whole thing going. But as she approaches her 90th birthday (and Prince Philip’s 95th), it is acknowledged that thought must be given to the future.

So this trip is about dropping hints and testing waters. Hence the carefully enhanced role for the Prince of Wales at this summit.

As well as sharing the stage with the Queen at the opening ceremony for the first time, the Prince was also invited behind closed doors to address an executive session of the summit – something the Queen has never done.

And last night, as the Prince and the Duchess of Cornwall helped the Queen to host her traditional banquet – she had brought her own Commonwealth goblets from London – it was increasingly clear that the future Royal connection is secure. ‘I’m not even sure why there’s a question about it,’ John Key, Prime Minister of New Zealand, told me. ‘The title should just go with the Crown. The Commonwealth would be insane to think otherwise.’

The Queen dazzles in a tiara at Commonwealth Heads of Government dinner in Malta* | Daily Mail Online

The Queen
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/27/21/2EDCD03D00000578-0-image-m-4_1448658955184.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/27/21/2EDCDCA100000578-0-image-a-6_1448659179446.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/27/21/2EDCBDF800000578-0-image-m-15_1448659290254.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/27/21/2EDCBAD800000578-0-image-m-12_1448659248068.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/27/21/2EDCB66600000578-0-image-a-13_1448659266520.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/27/21/2EDCC4D000000578-0-image-m-8_1448659193573.jpg

Camilla
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/27/21/2EDCB6E100000578-0-image-m-5_1448658964630.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/27/21/2EDCBD3500000578-0-image-m-10_1448659223877.jpg

Queen Elizabeth II Photos - The Queen and Senior Royals Attend the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting - Day Two - Zimbio

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Queen+Elizabeth+II+Queen+Senior+Royals+Attend+m02wXivYo-6l.jpg

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Queen+Elizabeth+II+Queen+Senior+Royals+Attend+_2nyNX427Rwl.jpg

Video/BBC News' Royal Correspondent Nicholas Witchell reports:
The Queen arrives in Malta for Commonwealth meeting - BBC News

ITV News' Royal Editor Tim Ewart reports:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJnWdEQ9brI

I have mixed feelings when I look back on this visit. It seems to me that the Queen traveled to Malta to say goodbye to the Commonwealth, and I don't like it at all, but she is almost 90, so it's quite natural.

Last edited:
I don't think the Queen will ever really say goodbye to the Commonwealth. She's taken such pride in it, such an abiding interest, that the bonds linking her to those lands overseas will only cease when she does.

I read yesterday how Trudeau recollected having to skip school meals and rush home to have lunch with the Queen so it seems fairly sure that they met a number of times. Neither her or Philip mind having kids around so I highly doubt that they Trudeaus would hide them away when the Windsors came calling. Remember that story of how the, by the Blair's, dreaded Balmoral weekends in the end got very pleasant when their youngest son acted as the proverbial icebreaker.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I don't think the Queen will ever really say goodbye to the Commonwealth. She's taken such pride in it, such an abiding interest, that the bonds linking her to those lands overseas will only cease when she does.

I agree!

With ''goodbye to the Commonwealth'' I meant no more visits to Commonwealth countries and no more CHOGM if they are not held in the UK, Cyprus or Malta.

I have for many years now been a big fan of HM and she continues to amaze me for all that she does, where does she get the strength to carry on like she does. She looks absolutely beautiful in emeralds. When the PM of Canada was greeting her, he looked like he was besotted with her, she charmed him and had him right where she wanted him, at her back and call, like a puppy following his lady which she is.:lol::lol:

Wow...I think you're completely misreading the situation, misunderstanding Trudeau's personality as well as the nature of the Queen's relationship with her Canadian prime ministers. She had quite a history with Pierre Trudeau so I'm pretty sure Justin Trudeau met her more than once.
I think her line about feeling old was typical of a dry sense of humour.

This wasn't the first time HM has come back at a gaffe or a teasing remark with her sparking wit. If you thought Trudeau made HM look old, he's got a long way to go to catch up to George Bush, Sr.

Queen Elizabeth ended her US trip last night with a rare public show of humour, gently teasing President George Bush for his verbal slip-up that added 200 years to her age.

During an official welcome ceremony on the White House lawn on Monday, Mr Bush stumbled over a line in his speech, initially saying the Queen had helped celebrate the US bicentennial in 1776, rather than 1976.

Realising his mistake, he winked broadly at the monarch before turning back to the assembled dignitaries to say: "She gave me a look that only a mother could give a child."

At a formal dinner last night at the British ambassador's residence in Washington, the Queen opened her speech with a toast to the US president.

Grinning playfully, she began: "I wondered whether I should start this toast by saying, 'When I was here in 1776...'" The guests, including Mr Bush, erupted in laughter.

In his own speech, the president responded: "Your Majesty, I can't top that one."

Queen teases Bush over verbal gaffe | World news | The Guardian

This wasn't the first time HM has come back at a gaffe or a teasing remark with her sparking wit. If you thought Trudeau made HM look old, he's got a long way to go to catch up to George Bush, Sr.

Queen Elizabeth ended her US trip last night with a rare public show of humour, gently teasing President George Bush for his verbal slip-up that added 200 years to her age.

During an official welcome ceremony on the White House lawn on Monday, Mr Bush stumbled over a line in his speech, initially saying the Queen had helped celebrate the US bicentennial in 1776, rather than 1976.

Realising his mistake, he winked broadly at the monarch before turning back to the assembled dignitaries to say: "She gave me a look that only a mother could give a child."

At a formal dinner last night at the British ambassador's residence in Washington, the Queen opened her speech with a toast to the US president.

Grinning playfully, she began: "I wondered whether I should start this toast by saying, 'When I was here in 1776...'" The guests, including Mr Bush, erupted in laughter.

In his own speech, the president responded: "Your Majesty, I can't top that one."[/B]

I remember that. It was hilarious.

Se it here from 3:30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwvXA3vXSjc

No, J.T. has met the Queen more than once in his childhood! And that´s much more than she has seen most current boy-princes or little princesses of europe (I guess she has never met the children of CP Frederick, the sons of Pr. Joachim, the belgian royal children, the little spanish infantas etc etc)!
I don´t see any "try to imply a degree of intimacy" at all. He was just making a harmless, small talk joke and I´m sure this was quite to HMs taste as she has a similar sense of humour.

In his own speech, the president responded: "Your Majesty, I can't top that one."

George Bush, Sr? The George Bushes aren't Sr and Jr. George Herbert Walker Bush -41st President and George Walker Bush -43rd President. It was the younger Bush with the 1776 gaffe during the Queen's visit.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Tim Ewart ‏@EwartRoyale
Downing Street say the next Commonwealth leaders meeting will now be in the UK in 2018. A clear sign that they want the Queen to be there

Tim Ewart ‏@EwartRoyale
Downing Street say the next Commonwealth leaders meeting will now be in the UK in 2018. A clear sign that they want the Queen to be there

Good news! It was rumors about it yesterday.

George Bush, Sr? The George Bushes aren't Sr and Jr. George Herbert Walker Bush -41st President and George Walker Bush -43rd President. It was the younger Bush with the 1776 gaffe during the Queen's visit.

Ok. You've just proven something to me that I didn't realize before. I know more about HM and the British Royal Family than I do about my own country's presidents. I got the gaffe right but the presidents mixed up royally. Go figure. :D

I also have been prone to thinking the H. W. initials stand for Hiram Walker but waitaminute... that's booze.

Tim Ewart ‏@EwartRoyale

God's willing, right? I mean, it's 2018 ones talking about.

God's willing, right? I mean, it's 2018 ones talking about.

Perhaps this is one of the greatest compliments that the Commonwealth could give HM. Although in 2018, the fact that the Commonwealth has decided that the next CHOMG would come to HM's backyard reflects the very high esteem they hold of her.

2018 really isn't that far away if you really think about it. We're almost to 2016 now. I would be willing to bet my last leftover turkey sandwich that the 2018 CHOGM is being added to the Queen's daily planner as we speak. ;)

Perhaps this is one of the greatest compliments that the Commonwealth could give HM. Although in 2018, the fact that the Commonwealth has decided that the next CHOMG would come to HM's backyard reflects the very high esteem they hold of her.

2018 really isn't that far away if you really think about it. We're almost to 2016 now. I would be willing to bet my last leftover turkey sandwich that the 2018 CHOGM is being added to the Queen's daily planner as we speak. ;)

CHOGM is every 2 years. It was due in Vanuatu in 2017. Perhaps the tweet got the date wrong.

2017 is even closer! Anyone seen the official communication?

CHOGM is every 2 years. It was due in Vanuatu in 2017. Perhaps the tweet got the date wrong.

2017 is even closer! Anyone seen the official communication?

I've let my fingers do the walking and cannot find one source that says the London meeting will be held in 2018. There is a link that links to Wikipedia but that's not an official source in my book. We'll just have to wait and see what develops.

:previous: I did the same... 2017 Vanuatu and 2019 in Malaysia.

So London is probably 2017. Great news :flowers:

:previous: I did the same... 2017 Vanuatu and 2019 in Malaysia.

So London is probably 2017. Great news :flowers:

I think so too. Vanuata is a prime spot for earthquake activity recently. If it is London in 2017 and there's been no official confirmation yet, it indicates to me that they wished the announcement to come after the close of the CHOMG in Malta and wanted perhaps a special surprise for HM once she returned home. To announce it in Malta would have diminished all the special memories of Malta that the Queen and the DoE shared while there.

One thing for sure now, although I'd read about it several places before, is that I will always associate the song "People will say we're in love" with the Queen and DoE just as I associate "Let me call you sweetheart" with my mom and dad.

Vanuatu apparently pulled out of hosting in 2017 because it got hit by cyclone Pam in March

Commonwealth leaders retreat to fortress to finalise climate deals | GulfNews.com

That would do it. Vanuatu gets more than its share of disastrous events there. They're probably very happy to have the Prince of Wales speaking out on climate changes.

Apologies if this photo has been posted already in this thread but to me, its my favorite one of all and is an excellent example of just how a smile lights up HM's face and the room she's in.

https://twitter.com/TV2KjellArne/st...toactions=1448737456&uid=23027050&nid=244+593

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom