The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-28-2015, 01:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

Quite frankly, Trudeau met the Queen once when he was a boy because of his father. He is trying to imply a degree of initimacy with the Queen that he doesn't have and, to me, that sounds embarassing.

I read yesterday how Trudeau recollected having to skip school meals and rush home to have lunch with the Queen so it seems fairly sure that they met a number of times. Neither her or Philip mind having kids around so I highly doubt that they Trudeaus would hide them away when the Windsors came calling. Remember that story of how the, by the Blair's, dreaded Balmoral weekends in the end got very pleasant when their youngest son acted as the proverbial icebreaker.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 11-28-2015, 02:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I don't think the Queen will ever really say goodbye to the Commonwealth. She's taken such pride in it, such an abiding interest, that the bonds linking her to those lands overseas will only cease when she does.
I agree!

With ''goodbye to the Commonwealth'' I meant no more visits to Commonwealth countries and no more CHOGM if they are not held in the UK, Cyprus or Malta.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:56 AM
Aristocracy

I have for many years now been a big fan of HM and she continues to amaze me for all that she does, where does she get the strength to carry on like she does. She looks absolutely beautiful in emeralds. When the PM of Canada was greeting her, he looked like he was besotted with her, she charmed him and had him right where she wanted him, at her back and call, like a puppy following his lady which she is.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

PPE

PPE Agency
Old 11-28-2015, 08:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Live from TVM. They have had live coverage during the entire visit.

https://www.google.no/url?sa=t&rct=j...dybGR8TyYuiQQQ

Her Majesty the Queen has left Malta for what I think is the last time.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:46 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post
Wow...I think you're completely misreading the situation, misunderstanding Trudeau's personality as well as the nature of the Queen's relationship with her Canadian prime ministers. She had quite a history with Pierre Trudeau so I'm pretty sure Justin Trudeau met her more than once.
I think her line about feeling old was typical of a dry sense of humour.
This wasn't the first time HM has come back at a gaffe or a teasing remark with her sparking wit. If you thought Trudeau made HM look old, he's got a long way to go to catch up to George Bush, Sr.

Queen Elizabeth ended her US trip last night with a rare public show of humour, gently teasing President George Bush for his verbal slip-up that added 200 years to her age.

During an official welcome ceremony on the White House lawn on Monday, Mr Bush stumbled over a line in his speech, initially saying the Queen had helped celebrate the US bicentennial in 1776, rather than 1976.

Realising his mistake, he winked broadly at the monarch before turning back to the assembled dignitaries to say: "She gave me a look that only a mother could give a child."

At a formal dinner last night at the British ambassador's residence in Washington, the Queen opened her speech with a toast to the US president.

Grinning playfully, she began: "I wondered whether I should start this toast by saying, 'When I was here in 1776...'" The guests, including Mr Bush, erupted in laughter.

In his own speech, the president responded: "Your Majesty, I can't top that one."

Queen teases Bush over verbal gaffe | World news | The Guardian
Old 11-28-2015, 09:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
This wasn't the first time HM has come back at a gaffe or a teasing remark with her sparking wit. If you thought Trudeau made HM look old, he's got a long way to go to catch up to George Bush, Sr.

Queen Elizabeth ended her US trip last night with a rare public show of humour, gently teasing President George Bush for his verbal slip-up that added 200 years to her age.

During an official welcome ceremony on the White House lawn on Monday, Mr Bush stumbled over a line in his speech, initially saying the Queen had helped celebrate the US bicentennial in 1776, rather than 1976.

Realising his mistake, he winked broadly at the monarch before turning back to the assembled dignitaries to say: "She gave me a look that only a mother could give a child."

At a formal dinner last night at the British ambassador's residence in Washington, the Queen opened her speech with a toast to the US president.

Grinning playfully, she began: "I wondered whether I should start this toast by saying, 'When I was here in 1776...'" The guests, including Mr Bush, erupted in laughter.

In his own speech, the president responded: "Your Majesty, I can't top that one."[/B]

I remember that. It was hilarious.

Se it here from 3:30.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Well, I'd be embarassed if I were in Trudeau's shoes and got a line like that from the Queen. In fact, I think Trudeau has been annoying since his meeting with the Queen in London when he made that comment about the "Queen being much taller" the last time the two met.

Quite frankly, Trudeau met the Queen once when he was a boy because of his father. He is trying to imply a degree of initimacy with the Queen that he doesn't have and, to me, that sounds embarassing.

Maybe I am the one not getting the humor after all.

No, J.T. has met the Queen more than once in his childhood! And that´s much more than she has seen most current boy-princes or little princesses of europe (I guess she has never met the children of CP Frederick, the sons of Pr. Joachim, the belgian royal children, the little spanish infantas etc etc)!
I don´t see any "try to imply a degree of intimacy" at all. He was just making a harmless, small talk joke and I´m sure this was quite to HMs taste as she has a similar sense of humour.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

In his own speech, the president responded: "Your Majesty, I can't top that one."

George Bush, Sr? The George Bushes aren't Sr and Jr. George Herbert Walker Bush -41st President and George Walker Bush -43rd President. It was the younger Bush with the 1776 gaffe during the Queen's visit.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-28-2015, 09:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Tim Ewart ‏@EwartRoyale
Downing Street say the next Commonwealth leaders meeting will now be in the UK in 2018. A clear sign that they want the Queen to be there
Old 11-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Tim Ewart ‏@EwartRoyale
Downing Street say the next Commonwealth leaders meeting will now be in the UK in 2018. A clear sign that they want the Queen to be there
Good news! It was rumors about it yesterday.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
George Bush, Sr? The George Bushes aren't Sr and Jr. George Herbert Walker Bush -41st President and George Walker Bush -43rd President. It was the younger Bush with the 1776 gaffe during the Queen's visit.
Ok. You've just proven something to me that I didn't realize before. I know more about HM and the British Royal Family than I do about my own country's presidents. I got the gaffe right but the presidents mixed up royally. Go figure.

I also have been prone to thinking the H. W. initials stand for Hiram Walker but waitaminute... that's booze.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Tim Ewart ‏@EwartRoyale
God's willing, right? I mean, it's 2018 ones talking about.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-28-2015, 11:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
God's willing, right? I mean, it's 2018 ones talking about.
Perhaps this is one of the greatest compliments that the Commonwealth could give HM. Although in 2018, the fact that the Commonwealth has decided that the next CHOMG would come to HM's backyard reflects the very high esteem they hold of her.

2018 really isn't that far away if you really think about it. We're almost to 2016 now. I would be willing to bet my last leftover turkey sandwich that the 2018 CHOGM is being added to the Queen's daily planner as we speak.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Perhaps this is one of the greatest compliments that the Commonwealth could give HM. Although in 2018, the fact that the Commonwealth has decided that the next CHOMG would come to HM's backyard reflects the very high esteem they hold of her.

2018 really isn't that far away if you really think about it. We're almost to 2016 now. I would be willing to bet my last leftover turkey sandwich that the 2018 CHOGM is being added to the Queen's daily planner as we speak.
CHOGM is every 2 years. It was due in Vanuatu in 2017. Perhaps the tweet got the date wrong.

2017 is even closer! Anyone seen the official communication?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
CHOGM is every 2 years. It was due in Vanuatu in 2017. Perhaps the tweet got the date wrong.

2017 is even closer! Anyone seen the official communication?
I've let my fingers do the walking and cannot find one source that says the London meeting will be held in 2018. There is a link that links to Wikipedia but that's not an official source in my book. We'll just have to wait and see what develops.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:51 AM
Heir Apparent

I did the same... 2017 Vanuatu and 2019 in Malaysia.

So London is probably 2017. Great news

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-28-2015, 12:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I did the same... 2017 Vanuatu and 2019 in Malaysia.

So London is probably 2017. Great news
I think so too. Vanuata is a prime spot for earthquake activity recently. If it is London in 2017 and there's been no official confirmation yet, it indicates to me that they wished the announcement to come after the close of the CHOMG in Malta and wanted perhaps a special surprise for HM once she returned home. To announce it in Malta would have diminished all the special memories of Malta that the Queen and the DoE shared while there.

One thing for sure now, although I'd read about it several places before, is that I will always associate the song "People will say we're in love" with the Queen and DoE just as I associate "Let me call you sweetheart" with my mom and dad.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Vanuatu apparently pulled out of hosting in 2017 because it got hit by cyclone Pam in March

http://m.gulfnews.com/news/europe/co...eals-1.1627952

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-28-2015, 12:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Vanuatu apparently pulled out of hosting in 2017 because it got hit by cyclone Pam in March

Commonwealth leaders retreat to fortress to finalise climate deals | GulfNews.com
That would do it. Vanuatu gets more than its share of disastrous events there. They're probably very happy to have the Prince of Wales speaking out on climate changes.

Apologies if this photo has been posted already in this thread but to me, its my favorite one of all and is an excellent example of just how a smile lights up HM's face and the room she's in.

https://twitter.com/TV2KjellArne/sta...50&nid=244+593