The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-23-2016, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

The role of the HOS will always be different then that of even the POW or lower members. of course she is busy with duties that are not 'patronages' and it will be the same for Charles and one day for William. The queen and Prince Philip do have plenty of patronages, but they have a different role.

Anne, Edward and Sophie an so on, are a better comparison. They have patronages and they do at least twice as many as the Cambridges. They all have patronages that make a huge impact on society (Camilla and osteoporosis and literacy, Princess Anne and Save the Children, Edward with the DOE awards and the Parolympics, Sophie is involved with Guiding, Andrew is big into blindness and does a lot of work with the military including the Canadian military,Charles has the Prince's trust). They make many visits for these patronages as well as the 'behind the scenes work' as well as representing other patronages.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:28 PM
Serene Highness

After he turns 95, I can see him cutting down to about 100 engagements per year. I think he'll spend more time at Sandringham, he seems to enjoy the countryside, and it will allow him more time with his friend Penny Romsey.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Considering retirement age is 65, him slowing down and 'only' doing 100 engagements would be understandable, less even would be. Enough to keep him busy and feeling like he isn't abandoning ship, but he can relax and enjoy the country, the animals, and hopefully his great-grandkids.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:46 PM
Heir Apparent

I think he'll carry on till he drops frankly! He is a work-horse, believes in "getting on with it". He may have earned a rest, but I don't think he wants one

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-23-2016, 08:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Philip will go down with his ship. If he keeled over during an engagement and died right away I'm sure he'd die a happy man.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I think so too. I just get that sense from him.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 02-23-2016, 09:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Considering retirement age is 65, him slowing down and 'only' doing 100 engagements would be understandable, less even would be. Enough to keep him busy and feeling like he isn't abandoning ship, but he can relax and enjoy the country, the animals, and hopefully his great-grandkids.
If he spent more time at Sandringham, he would have more quality time with George and Charlotte. I thought it was sweet that he was the only non-Cambridge royal to attend George's 2nd birthday.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Queen is to step down as patron of 25 national organisations at the end of her 90th birthday year, says Buckingham Palace.

The patronages, including the NSPCC, Save the Children, Barnardo's and Battersea Dog's Home, will be passed on to other members of the Royal Family.
Queen to step down as patron of 25 charities - BBC News

https://www.royal.uk/queens-patronages
Old 12-20-2016, 06:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Some of these charities, it's easy to see who will take over : Kate : Wimbledon, Harry: Rugby Union, William: Welsh Rugby Union. I would think Camilla gets Bernardo's and the Battersea Dog & Cat home.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:55 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
That was my first thought too when Battersea Dog Home was mentioned. That is a place that Camilla already has some connections with. If I remember right, she adopted her Jack Russell Bluebell from there.

One thing I've noticed as I've continued to read through the threads on how the Queen's patronages are being handed down is that as HM looked around to see who would most fit into some of these patronages, she most likely had to smile as she realized how most of them already fit quite nicely into the areas of interests her family already works to bring attention to. That has had to have made her very proud of them all and know her patronages will be in very good hands.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

I could see Sophie taking on the blind veterans. She has an interest in eye related patronages. Possibly also the cycling association. I could see her or Edward taking in the Edinburgh international festival, considering their future title.

Along with the batteries shelter, the animal health trust is likely a pair for Camilla.

The Royal African might be a good kid for Harry. He also seems to be taking more of an interest in nature, so perhaps the wetlands and royal geographic might pair well.

I really do hope the naval one goes to Andrew. He has served in the navy, not just honorary, and it seems the right fit IMO.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:22 PM
Aristocracy

Some guesses:

Save the Children UK probably to Anne as she's been involved with it since forever.
Royal Navy and Royal Marines Children's Fund maybe to Andrew?
Doesn't William have a degree in Geography? Might be the link with the Royal Geography Society.
Royal African Society to Africa-enthusiast Harry. And maybe the Blind Veterans too.
If Edward is supposed to get his father's dukedom then he should also get the Edinburgh International Festival.
The Duchess of Gloucester is in the council of the Lawn Tennis Association so she could get the patronage.
And didn't Sophie take part in some charity bike ride recently? There it goes the British Cycling Federation.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 26: December 2014

They are grouped by royal with the information already coming out it's easy to tell which royal got which. The first three are Charles's, then Camilla, William, Kate, Harry, Edward, Sophie, Andrew and Anne.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Queen steps down from charity roles to lighten her workload - BBC News

Old Article-
http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/...ebration-royal

The Queen is now following in Prince Philip's lead in passing down her patronages.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-20-2016, 02:16 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Quite a natural progression of things. When you really think about it, it would be understandable that a majority of 90+ year olds (if polled) probably couldn't remember what they had for dinner last Sunday let alone keep up with the day to day activities and responsibilities that both HM and the DoE have been doing and really show no sign of retiring from.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Sophie has taken on the NSPCC patronage and the Blind Veterans as expected. Andrew has taken over the Naval patronage, along with Harry for Rugby and William the Welsh rugby. I am sure a list of who has taken on what will come out eventually.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Sophie has taken on the NSPCC patronage and the Blind Veterans as expected. Andrew has taken over the Naval patronage, along with Harry for Rugby and William the Welsh rugby. I am sure a list of who has taken on what will come out eventually.
More info is due to come out in the new year.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-20-2016, 04:04 PM
Serene Highness

this was a nice elegant transition announcement of HM's patronages. Of course I expect nothing else from HM
Old 12-20-2016, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
this was a nice elegant transition announcement of HM's patronages. Of course I expect nothing else from HM
I quite agree. It is organized, open and honest and clear. It shows a way forward which is an excellent approach. The Job QEII has done and continues to do is quite humbling when you look at her peer group and the times they faced. She is amazing!

Frankly, I am plumping for Sophie to get the cycling organization because of her recent achievements!
Old 12-20-2016, 06:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
You are absolutely right Michelle. It seems to me that she has selected the family member who will now be the patron based upon their interest in the organizations and because they were already holding a presidency or vice-patron position.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:04 AM
Courtier

Currently confirmed new patronages:

Holocaust Day Memorial Trust - Charles
Royal Institution of Great Britain - Charles
Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust – Charles
Barnardo's – Camilla
Welsh Rugby Union – William
Amateur Swimming Association – William
All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club (AELTC) Wimbledon – Catherine
Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) – Catherine
Blind Veterans UK - Sophie