Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 27: June 2018 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tardiness is a true pet peeve of mine.

IMO its a sign of disrespect...not respectful of anyone's time.

Doesn't matter if you are President, Queen, cashier at the local McDonalds, etc.

Oh well....it went as well as to be expected. I guess we will really know the details when/if he tweets about it right?

It can also be viewed as a power play. Some top executives in the business world do this as a way of implying that their time is more valuable than anyone else's.

Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh Current Events Part 27: June 1, 2018 -

I’ll say again, Trump was not late for The Queen. He arrived at Windsor at 4:59pm.

Someone compared The Queen having to explain things to him as she'd have to train her corgis. Obviously a joke, but he did seem quite out of place and lacked basic manners as to what to do. Given the number of people he brought, I'm surprised no one went over basic things with him before this. I'm also quite baffled by the tardiness.

Something has occurred to me and it might be from left field in a galaxy far, far away but I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Trump was even a little bit intimidated by the presence of the Queen. We've seen how he is and how he interacts with those on the world stage today but those people aren't HM, The Queen that Trump has known about since his childhood.

Many, many people have remarked that upon meeting the Queen, they've been at a loss for words or at a loss for what to do. Just her presence can make some feel like they're schoolboys being sent to the principal's office. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if this is what happened with The Donald. He's met his match even though he outsizes her by quite a bit. :D

I hope he can and does pick up some lessons on diplomacy from meeting what may be the most iconic head of state on the world stage today. If he's noticed that over her very long reign, she has never put a foot wrong, perhaps he'll realize that this is a woman that knows her stuff and has been at it since he was a kid, perhaps he can in some ways, emulate her.

I figured that the Trump entourage was running late when we saw the Queen glancing at her watch and just standing there waiting and waiting and waiting. That was a faux pas. Usually these things are planned and executed right down to the minute and one doesn't keep the Queen waiting. Hope she chastised him good and proper over tea about being late. :lol:

Last edited:
Something has occurred to me and it might be from left field in a galaxy far, far away but I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Trump was even a little bit intimidated by the presence of the Queen. We've seen how he is and how he interacts with those on the world stage today but those people aren't HM, The Queen that Trump has known about since his childhood.

Many, many people have remarked that upon meeting the Queen, they've been at a loss for words or at a loss for what to do. Just her presence can make some feel like they're schoolboys being sent to the principal's office. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if this is what happened with The Donald. He's met his match even though he outsizes her by quite a bit. :D

I hope he can and does pick up some lessons on diplomacy from meeting what may be the most iconic head of state on the world stage today. If he's noticed that over her very long reign, she has never put a foot wrong, perhaps he'll realize that this is a woman that knows her stuff and has been at it since he was a kid, perhaps he can in some ways, emulate her.

I figured that the Trump entourage was running late when we saw the Queen glancing at her watch and just standing there waiting and waiting and waiting. That was a faux pas. Usually these things are planned and executed right down to the minute and one doesn't keep the Queen waiting. Hope she chastised him good and proper over tea about being late. :lol:

ETA: OK. Saw Lumutqueen's timing that Trump was *not* late. The Queen though had been standing there for a while though which I wish she hadn't had to do and sit a bit more and rest the knees. :D

Since HM has inspected the troops with visiting dignitaries 100’s of times, the logical thing would have been for him to watch the films of same. That’s what I intend to do should the occasion arise!

And he would have known to button his suit coat, too.

Well, the British mods have received no less than 5 reported posts in the last 30 minutes regarding this visit.

So as a result, several posts that are political in nature and are derogatory to President Trump have been deleted.

There is a reason we don't discuss politics here at TRF as there are a variety of different opinions and it can get ugly really quick.

Let's stay on topic.

Please keep your political opinions, the political discussion regarding Brexit, the EU and NATO as well your opinions on President Trump to yourselves. There are plenty other places you can discuss these subjects to your hearts content.

TRF IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

Also, discussing whether or not he was late or intimated by the Queen as well how the inspection of the troops went are fair game but let's not discuss this too long or do behind the computer psycho analyzing. And no Speculation.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Last edited:
Now we just have to stay tuned to our news feeds for any possible tweets of President Trumps reaction to meeting the Queen.

As the Queen does move on with her schedule every day, this short and sweet visit is now over and time to move onto other things. I hope HM enjoys her weekend at Windsor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed the official picture wasn’t taken in the Oak Room, but in a less than glamorous hallway. And next to a dog bowl, :lol:

May I ask why Mrs Trump didnt have to curtsey?

Nancy Reagan curtsied to the Queen when she was First Lady. Totally inappropriate in my opinion. I have the utmost respect for the Queen, and would probably bow to her if in England. The First Lady represents the United States as the spouse of a head of state, and should bow to no one. Once she is a regular citizen again, she could lay prostrate on the floor and kiss her shoe and I would not care.

JFK's Chief of Protocol told the media that the wife of a US President should never curtsey to a monarch, so when President and Mrs Kennedy visited Buckingham Palace she did not curtsey.

But after she became a widow not only did Jackie curtsey to HM she instructed her children to do the same.

OK...so it was just the Queen by herself meeting the Trumps? No other member of the royal family joined in the tea or would that information be kept private?

I am pretty sure it was just HM. Shortly after he was elected and was first discussing the possibility of a visit to Britain, Trump reportedly demanded a private visit with the Cambridges, same as his predecessor had.

But that was never, ever going to happen.:cool:

Since HM has inspected the troops with visiting dignitaries 100’s of times, the logical thing would have been for him to watch the films of same. That’s what I intend to do should the occasion arise!
She didn't. It was prince Philip's job.

:previous:
Just wondering if we here know for sure his staff told him what to do for he seemed a bit confused to me......maybe they did and maybe they didn't. Can't always rely on other people to help you with things now can we.......

Trump wanted to meet the Cambridges? I bet he wanted to meet the Sussexes too. I'm afraid Trump will see their no shows as a snub and take to Twitter.

It has been my experience watching President Trump that he likes to run things and for good or ill he does.

When faced with a stunningly dressed nonagenarian trying to direct him he ignores her and does his own thing too fast for HM. Jacqui's very entertaining meme shows it all in glorious, technicolour.

To be absolutely honest I think when she stopped behind him it was to slow him down. The humour was just a bonus.

I think the First Lady did the US proud, as always. Immaculately turned out and perfect manners. The President, however, needs to remember the basics of good manners and remember to button his suit. The more ancient courtesy of allowing a man with a sword to finish his salute is a no-brainer. There are no brownies points for skewering the guest of honour and that doesn't even consider the adverse effects it would have on the UK/US special relationship.

Last edited:
Yes, I just watched the clip of them inspecting the Guard and it was quite awkward and embarrassing. You would think that his staff would have told him what to do.

Last bit I'll say, but to me it's clear that it was Her Majesty who was sending conflicting messages. ;) She's clearly telling him what to do and he is following her instructions (no matter what he was told to do I think you do what the Queen tells you to do in the moment) but then she changes the scenario on him. You can see it happening. When she doesn't show up (location wise) where he expects he just stops and allows her to do what she wants. Looked reasonable to me from the position of President Trump, though confusing. ;)

Trump is getting a bad rap on this one, methinks. :D

I did see the awkwardness regarding the sword salute. Strange.

BTW I find his holding of Mrs May's hand odd. What is that? Does he need support mounting stairs?

If anything, I imagine the Queen got a huge giggle out of the snafu. Its often been said that she thoroughly enjoys when things go wrong as it livens up things that she'd done a gazillion times before. As I've posted in another thread (along with a video from 1946) about the Queen and her friends, she was inspecting the ranks in a professional manner as long as 72 years ago. The majority of us haven't even been on the planet that long yet. :D

This is just made for memes.

With sound effects below.

:lol:

They probably did.;)

True. It wouldn't be the first time that he didn't listen to his advisers.

I am pretty sure it was just HM. Shortly after he was elected and was first discussing the possibility of a visit to Britain, Trump reportedly demanded a private visit with the Cambridges, same as his predecessor had.

After what he said about Diana and Kate, I'm surprised he thought the Cambridges would want to meet him.

He mainly didn't walk close enough to the guards even though the queen told him to keep walking towards them before turning.

Just wondering if there are microphones there to record what they say to each other so that we know for sure what is being said....facts are so much more interesting then assumptions......:whistling:

I’ll say again, Trump was not late for The Queen. He arrived at Windsor at 4:59pm.

Oh people just want to say this.....that he was late. He does look a bit awkward with the queen true...

Why would he want to meet the Cambrides? I don't know much about Trump but I get the feeling that he doesn't know that much about the RF.. and possibly just saw meeting the queen as something he had to do....

Last bit I'll say, but to me it's clear that it was Her Majesty who was sending conflicting messages. ;) She's clearly telling him what to do and he is following her instructions (no matter what he was told to do I think you do what the Queen tells you to do in the moment) but then she changes the scenario on him. You can see it happening. When she doesn't show up (location wise) where he expects he just stops and allows her to do what she wants. Looked reasonable to me from the position of President Trump, though confusing. ;)

Trump is getting a bad rap on this one, methinks. :D

I did see the awkwardness regarding the sword salute. Strange.

BTW I find his holding of Mrs May's hand odd. What is that? Does he need support mounting stairs?

The Queen doesn’t send conflicting message. It seems that he should’ve been walking to her right, and somehow he just started walking. No matter what, there is no way HM would’ve told him to walk ahead of her. A 92 year old woman had to accommodate him and walk around him.

Why would he want to meet the Cambrides? I don't know much about Trump but I get the feeling that he doesn't know that much about the RF.. and possibly just saw meeting the queen as something he had to do....

Don’t know about Cambridges, but in an interview after his election, it was obvious that he REALLY wanted to meet the Queen. So I hardly doubt he saw meeting the Queeen as something he had to do. I wouldn’t be surprised if he would’ve been upset had he not been able to meet the Queen even though this is only a working visit.

Well, I saw some first ladies, like Carla Bruni (wife of N. Sarkozy), curtsey to the Queen!
That's their choice of course but not something that's expected of them. I've seen posters either here or on Twitter post that they'd not like to see the wife of their president curtsy to a foreign monarch.

Don’t know about Cambridges, but in an interview after his election, it was obvious that he REALLY wanted to meet the Queen. So I hardly doubt he saw meeting the Queeen as something he had to do. I wouldn’t be surprised if he would’ve been upset had he not been able to meet the Queen even though this is only a working visit.

yes but she is the queen. Even if he's not personally interested in the BRF, he knows enough Im sure to know there would be talk if he didn't meet her,.. that it was a snub, because he's not popular in Britain blah blah....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom