Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 27: June 2018 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It must be hard for a man of his age to see the lack of sense of duty of nowadays.

Philip's generation was one that experienced world wars. They were the generation that "straightened up and flew right" and worked together for the "war effort" and it was an era where people pulled together for the greater good of everyone. Duty and responsibility was the norm more so than it is today.

If I had to describe the people today, I'd say they're people that are isolated in a global community. Its more of a "me first" kind of attitude and we see more of a social grouping of people online rather than meeting in town halls . Growing up, I had a home with one TV set and one telephone. The family shared. Now each kid has their own devices and interests.

Thank you for the link to the article, which showed some snippet to the book Prince Philip Revealed by Ingrid Seward (release in early October). Prince Philip certainly put royal duties and reputation as top priorities, which is not surprising, given that he had to leave Royal Navy and support the Queen. He also have to overcome courtiers and staff, who were very hostile/antagonising (even snobbish) towards him due to his background and finances.

To me, he exhibited the qualities of "stiff upper lips", "tough love" and "no nonsense/ telling every as it is". I do not think this approach is ideal, especially looking from hindsight and perhaps he should have been more flexible. An example from the article is that "When Philip feels that his advice is being ignored, he reverts to the cold man he is frequently portrayed as being."

However, I do think the younger royals could learn a lot from Prince Philip, based on his past experiences. Even Philip himself was very welcoming to his daughter-in-laws by writing letters and in some occasion having conversations with them.
Interesting comments..I believe that in this case it is the people behind the scenes that must change.
Philip complained about the snobby courtiers, their thoughts and advise being ignored, so did Diana, and Meghan. Each generation after Philip has in some way shape or form exited the royal family. The precedence has now been set. Things must change!

QUOTE=Alisa;2340917]Interesting comments..I believe that in this case it is the people behind the scenes that must change.
Philip complained about the snobby courtiers, their thoughts and advise being ignored, so did Diana, and Meghan. Each generation after Philip has in some way shape or form exited the royal family. The precedence has now been set. Things must change![/QUOTE]

Yes, the Monarchy as an institution needs to adapt and modernize to a certain extent in order to keep pace with the changing times, however, there also needs to be checks and balances in place to ensure the traditions and standards are respected and that members of the BRF conduct themselves accordingly as representatives of the Crown and not just individuals using the their positions to promote their own self interests.

The “Firm” is in place for a reason. They are there to ensure the Monarchy runs smoothly and that the Crown is protected with the checks and balances for all who represent it. Everyone has their place and their roles to play within the institution. That is how it works.

QUOTE=Alisa;2340917]Interesting comments..I believe that in this case it is the people behind the scenes that must change.
Philip complained about the snobby courtiers, their thoughts and advise being ignored, so did Diana, and Meghan. Each generation after Philip has in some way shape or form exited the royal family. The precedence has now been set. Things must change!

[/QUOTE]Yes, the Monarchy as an institution needs to adapt and modernize to a certain extent in order to keep pace with the changing times, however, there also needs to be checks and balances in place to ensure the traditions and standards are respected and that members of the BRF conduct themselves accordingly as representatives of the Crown and not just individuals using the their positions to promote their own self interests.

The “Firm” is in place for a reason. They are there to ensure the Monarchy runs smoothly and that the Crown is protected with the checks and balances for all who represent it. Everyone has their place and their roles to play within the institution. That is how it works.[/QUOTE]​

I agree with you on the balance between changing with the times and maintaining tradition according to The Crown. I think the Queen, Prince Phillip and possibly Princess Anne embodies this balance or "equilibrium". From looking at the social media posts that some "pro-constitutional monarchists" or even royalist have mentioned, they supported the monarchy, because of their embodiment of British rich History and stability over a fast-changing time, whether is it in politics or culture. This is why I think changes need to be gradual not sudden and should happen for a very good reason not just for the sake of modernisation and progressiveness.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]I agree with you on the balance between changing with the times and maintaining tradition according to The Crown. I think the Queen, Prince Phillip and possibly Princess Anne embodies this balance or "equilibrium". From looking at the social media posts that some "pro-constitutional monarchists" or even royalist have mentioned, they supported the monarchy, because of their embodiment of British rich History and stability over a fast-changing time, whether is it in politics or culture. This is why I think changes need to be gradual not sudden and should happen for a very good reason not just for the sake of modernisation and progressiveness.[/QUOTE]

Yes! The Queen, Prince Phillip and Princess Ann are the embodiment of duty before self and upholding the traditions and standards of the Crown. They are what the current and future generations should look to as examples of what the Monarchy should be about. Of the upcoming generations in line to the throne....I have hope.

Last edited:
I’m not sure how Charles doesn’t belong in this group - despite the messiness of the War of the Wales, he’s spent decades doing his duty and being an impressively successful PoW.

I’m not sure how Charles doesn’t belong in this group - despite the messiness of the War of the Wales, he’s spent decades doing his duty and being an impressively successful PoW.

You are right of course. Prince Charles has served the Crown and the Queen his entire life and done so admirably. He is also extremely hard working. His past and the impact it’s had on the monarchy and it’s future is another conversation for another thread.

You are right of course. Prince Charles has served the Crown and the Queen his entire life and done so admirably. He is also extremely hard working. His past and the impact it’s had on the monarchy and it’s future is another conversation for another thread.

Believe me, I had no intention of starting a conversation on Charles here...

Dickie Arbiter has tweeted out with a picture of the Court Circular that the Queen commemorated the Centenary of the burial of the Unknown Warrior at Westminster Abbey on 4th November.

Dickie Arbiter [Flag of United Kingdom] @RoyalDickie
In this week of @PoppyLegion and our act of #Remembrance, The Queen undertook her first official engagement in London since March. The Unknown Warrior was buried at @wabbey on 11 November 1920 in the presence of her grandfather, King George V. #WeWillRememberThem
8:17 PM · Nov 5, 2020·Twitter Web App​

I haven't seen pictures of the Queen, but Dickie Arbiter has posted a painting and picture of the Remembrance service in 1920.

The Queen also had an audience with The Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP (Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury) via telephone on the same day.

Today, December 4, Queen Elizabeth held virtual audiences from Windsor Castle for Sophie Katsarava, Ambassador of Georgia, Gil da Costa, Ambassador of Timor-Leste and Ferenc Kumin, Ambassador of Hungary, who were at Buckingham Palace:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** pa images gallery **

I don’t know that this is the best place for this, but I don’t know where else this would go.

I think this is a fantastic idea, and I can’t wait to see more of the “New Firm” !

The Queen has given the go ahead for a new version of 'The Firm' with eight senior members of the Royal Family attending events together from next year.

The ‘New Firm’ were pictured together as a group for the first time this week, as they paid tribute to the nation's coronavirus heroes at the end of Prince William and Kate’s whistle stop royal train tour of Britain.

The collective - which notably doesn't include Prince Harry, his wife Meghan or Prince Andrew - will work together and help highlight each other’s causes as they aim to get back to full duties “as soon as possible”.

A royal source said: "The family are united in exploring the possibilities in working with each other to highlight the causes dear to their hearts, helping each other and the country at the same time.

"They are working on opportunities for next year and beyond already
. As soon as they are able it will be all hands on deck to make up for lost time.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-ne...r.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

It's great but I hope they will find ways to include the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester at times as well. They've been a great support act for decades (as well as the Duke of Kent and his sister princess Alexandra; but especially the Duke is visibly getting older).

The Queen paid a virtual visit to KPMG

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Elizabeth received the the High Commissioner of New Zealand and the Ambassador of Belgium today, December 18:

** Pic ** pa images gallery **

And the Duke of Edinburgh as Patron of the Chartered College of Teaching, has sent a "message of thanks to teachers and school staff, at the start of the Christmas holidays":

** Message **

Last edited:
The Duke of Edingburgh, Patron of the Chartered College of Teaching, has sent a message thanking teachers and school staff before the start of Christmas holidays.
The Royal Family @RoyalFamily
The Duke of Edinburgh, Patron of the Chartered College of Teaching, has sent the following message of thanks to teachers and school staff, at the start of the Christmas holidays.
5:53 AM · Dec 19, 2020·Twitter for iPhone​

From Court Circular published on The Times, the Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP (Prime Minister and First Lord President of the Treasury) had an audience of The Queen via telephone on 24th December 2020 at Windsor Castle

Screenshot from the Court Circular on The Times

Credit to Joe Little from Majesty Magazine for tweeting and attaching this screenshot.
Majesty/Joe Little @MajestyMagazine
‘Twas the afternoon before Christmas, but HM takes a telephone call from her British prime minister in the wake of the #Brexit deal.
8:30 PM · Dec 28, 2020·Twitter for iPad​

New Year message from Her Majesty The Queen. The Royal Family's social media account also included four pictures summarising 2020.
“We should take comfort that while we may have more still to endure, better days will return: we will be with our friends again; we will be with our families again; we will meet again.” - HM The Queen.
Wishing you all a Happy and Healthy New Year.
11:49 PM · Dec 31, 2020·Twitter for iPhone​

New Year message from Her Majesty The Queen. The Royal Family's social media account also included four pictures summarising 2020.
“We should take comfort that while we may have more still to endure, better days will return: we will be with our friends again; we will be with our families again; we will meet again.” - HM The Queen.
Wishing you all a Happy and Healthy New Year.
11:49 PM · Dec 31, 2020·Twitter for iPhone​

Lovely quote and beautiful photos...

Number 10 Downing St (and UK Government's website ) has announced that The Queen has approved Stuart Andrew MP, Nigel Evans MP, Mark Pritchard MP, Col Robert Stewart DSO MP, Stewart Hosie MP, Dame Diana Johnson MP, Angela Rayner MP, Nicklaus Thomas-Symonds MP, Jonathan Ashworth MP and Lord (Edward) Udny-Lister to be sworn into Her Majesty’s most Honourable Privy Council.

UK Government's website: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/privy-council-appointments-12-february-2021

Picture of Number 10's announcement: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuCIdgXXYAIGeKH?format=jpg&name=900x900

The Queen has spoken to the British Ambassador to the United States, Karen Pierce via telephone this morning on 16th February. This comes after her appointment to the post.

British Embassy Washington D.C. @UKinUSA
[United Kingdom government account]
This morning, British Ambassador to the United States, @KarenPierceUK had a telephone audience with Her Majesty The Queen from the British Embassy in Washington, to mark the Ambassador’s appointment to the post.
7:32 AM · Feb 17, 2021·Twitter Web App​

The Royal Family has retweeted the tweet by British Embassy Washington D.C.

As Head of State, The Queen receives Her Majesty’s Ambassadors upon their appointments.
Earlier today, The Queen spoke to Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the United States of America, Dame Karen Pierce, via telephone.
7:39 AM · Feb 17, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

The Queen had a telephone meeting with the First Sea Lord, Admiral Tony Radakin this afternoon to provide updates on Royal Navy operation and well-being through the pandemic.
Royal Navy @RoyalNavy
This afternoon the First Sea Lord (@AdmTonyRadakin) had a telephone audience with Her Majesty The Queen to provide an update on #RoyalNavy operations and the well-being of our people throughout the pandemic.
3:22 AM · Feb 18, 2021·Twitter Web App​

The Royal Family has retweeted the Royal Navy's tweet
[Telephone] [Anchor] Earlier today, The Queen spoke to the First Sea Lord,
@AdmTonyRadakin, about the ongoing work of the @RoyalNavy at home and overseas.
As Sovereign, The Queen is Head of the Armed Forces, and has close links with all three Services.
Read more here: https://bit.ly/3s3edxu
3:27 AM · Feb 18, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

And there's a model of one of the Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carriers in the background.

American posters might be interested to know that US Marine fighters have flown off one of the QE class carriers - HMS Queen Elizabeth.

Named for the first Elizabeth though, if you're wondering.;)

On the 10th anniversary of the Christchurch Earthquake, Her Majesty The Queen released a message which was read out by the Governor General of New Zealand during a service at the Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial.

Today marks the tenth anniversary of the earthquakes which devastated Christchurch and surrounding areas in 2011.
This message from The Queen was read by @GovGeneralNZ during a service at the Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial in Christchurch, New Zealand earlier today.
8:04 PM · Feb 22, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

"The Queen has spoken to health officials leading the deployment of the COVID-19 vaccine across the four nations of the UK.

Her Majesty heard about the vital importance of ensuring all communities have access to the vaccine, and shared her own experience."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56203768

Yes - she said that it didn't hurt, and she also said that, whilst she understands that some people may be nervous, anyone considering not being vaccinated should think about others rather than themselves. Those are pretty strong words, coming from the Queen. Let's hope that people listen!

Its getting a lot of headlines with some people calling it an "extraordinary intervention", "astonishing intervention", "highly unusual" ... well if so even better. This is the sort of bold move HM should be making at times of crisis. HM rarely makes statements so bold or opinionated, she has mastered saying much by saying nothing but clearly she feels this is vitally important. Well done Ma'am.

Those are strong words from her, unlike for example Queen Margarethe has done, she doesn't normally jump in like that with her strict opinion. And sadly I think it's necessary that she among others say this, as I've heard an uptick in people saying they won't get it done (highly anecdotal evidence).

HM doesn't say things like that lightly so hopefully it will give some people pause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom