Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 27: June 2018 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Really like the Queen's floral dress/suit in this instance. :flowers: One of the few of her recent floral creations I can say I unequivocally like. ;) She looks great and seems pretty lively, peppy and alert. I thought she was suppose to be on vacation at Balmoral. Does she usually do these events prior to going to Balmoral? Is this usual?

I read somewhere that she is thinking of getting knee replacement surgery: ouch! Painful recovery lasting a few months. No matter when she does it she will be out-of-commision for several months (painful rehab). Wonder if that means she will take the autumn off from her duties?

Last edited:
:previous: Really like the Queen's floral dress/suit in this instance. :flowers: One of the few of her recent floral creations I can say I unequivocally like. ;) She looks great and seems pretty lively, peppy and alert. I thought she was suppose to be on vacation at Balmoral. Does she usually do these events prior to going to Balmoral? Is this usual?

I read somewhere that she is thinking of getting knee replacement surgery: ouch! Painful recovery lasting a few months. No matter when she does it she will be out-of-commision for several months (painful rehab). Wonder if that means she will take the autumn off from her duties?

Its not Balmoral time just yet. She is in Edinburgh doing engagements. She usually spends a week there around this time of the year. Balmoral is not until late July.

Yes this is usual. This is Holyrood Week where she spends the week in Edinburgh staying at the Palace of Holyrood and undertaking engagements only in Scotland and hosting things like an Afternoon Party.

She usually returns to London for two to three weeks before moving to Balmoral at the end of July for about 10 weeks - last week in July, all of August and September and the first week or so of October. With a wedding on the 12th and a state visit a week or so later she may need to return to London earlier in October this year.

If she is going to have her knee replaced she will probably be doing it in late July and thus using her summer holidays to recover so she is close to full fitness for those events scheduled in early October. She knows the dates for Eugenie's wedding and the Dutch State Visit in early Autumn so either later this month or not until the winter and from what I have heard (and as someone facing the very real possibility of being told in about 2.5 weeks that I have to have a replacement this year I am sure she would be better off having it in the summer rather than in the winter).

Last edited:
Thank you, Muriel and Iluvbertie, for the answers regarding the Queen's Scotland schedule. Thank you. :flowers: I had always thought the Queen went to Balmoral early in July, stayed at a cottage to avoid the tourists, and then moved into Balmoral once the tourist season was over. From somewhere along the line I got that impression, but I am now corrected.

As for recuperation from knee replacement surgery, each person is different. The doctors never guarantee anything. It's a difficult, painful rehab. At least 3 months and if she has the operation in late July that takes her through October. She would be off a walker, and on a cane by then, but again, each person is different. It's major surgery. If I were her I'd relax for July (even August) and then block out the whole of the fall. (That's if she would be getting a full knee replacement, if it's anything less, then the timeline would be different).

In articles on-line that I just checked they say she is refusing the surgery.

Last edited:
She can't block the entirety of autumn as she has a granddaughter's wedding on the 12th and a State Visit from The Netherlands a week later.

Then in November there is the 100th anniversary of the end of WWI and there is no way she will want to not be seen at the Cenotaph on that day.

If she is going to have the surgery she needs to be doing so within the next couple of weeks - or not until this time next year. It is the summer where she gets the long break.

Over Christmas it is two weeks in December, all of January and a week and a half in February - or 7 week compared to 10 or so over the summer.

As she would be a lot fitter than I will be (being bedridden for 4+ weeks due to a broken bone in the knee has meant no exercise allowed) I suspect she would recover a lot faster than I will as well and I am being told 8 - 10 weeks should see me able to return to work. I am some 30 years younger than the Queen though which may also have some impact. I am still hoping for a cortisone injection as a solution rather than surgery but when I had one of those with my shoulder it laster 8 weeks and a friend of mine had the injection give relief for less than one week ...)

She can't block the entirety of autumn as she has a granddaughter's wedding on the 12th and a State Visit from The Netherlands a week later.

I think she will do what is needed to be done for her health. She is in her 90's. Some leeway with expectations is not unreasonable. JMO. :flowers:

If she is going to have the surgery she needs to be doing so within the next couple of weeks - or not until this time next year. It is the summer where she gets the long break.

Personally I don't think a much-looked-forward-to vacation is the best time to be engaging this kind of surgery. ;) That's me.

Depending on the condition of the knee, waiting an additional year may not be what the doctors advise.

As she would be a lot fitter than I will be (being bedridden for 4+ weeks due to a broken bone in the knee has meant no exercise allowed) I suspect she would recover a lot faster than I will as well and I am being told 8 - 10 weeks should see me able to return to work. I am some 30 years younger than the Queen though which may also have some impact. I am still hoping for a cortisone injection as a solution rather than surgery but when I had one of those with my shoulder it laster 8 weeks and a friend of mine had the injection give relief for less than one week ...)

From what I see the Queen is not particularly fit, but even so, recovery is different for each person. Here in the US people have been known to return to work after a week, though they cannot drive themselves until about 4-6 weeks. (This is solely to do with medications and mobility, the pain continues for a while). Even so, there is the walker, then the cane. Someone in good shape will be clear sailing in 6-8 weeks, but someone like the Queen I could see the potential for full 3-4 months.

So saying, I think they would likely work with her recovery and would adjust her public schedule accordingly (meaning a full autumn on medical leave would not surprise me). The pain and discomfort is significant (handled with opioids in the US), especially with the physical therapy. It's a big step. It's major surgery. I know several people who have done the procedure and love the results (after a year). There have been others who've had a tough time. The key to recovery is the physical therapy.

But it does look like she is declining the surgery.

Last edited:
They wouldn't have just announced a statevisit if the queen intended to take all autumn off. Given that she feels the responsibility that comes with her position, she surely wouldn't first vacation for months and only have surgery when she is suppossed to start working again.

Taking on fewer engagements is of course an option as that would be consistent with her pattern that she lowers her workload because of age but the major events she surely will want to attend. I don't think she is going to ask Charles to take on a regency for few months - as I'd think that would be the consequence if she truly decided to take a full medical leave.

Last edited:
I think she will do what is needed to be done for her health. She is in her 90's. Some leeway with expectations is not unreasonable. JMO. :flowers:

The Shawcross biography of the Queen Mother includes a note from the Queen to her mother when she was in her 90s that really stuck out in my mind. It said something along the lines of, "Mummy, will you please use the walking stick? It would make Jean and the two Margarets very happy." Jean referred the the Queen Mother's niece, Jean Wills, and the two Margarets were Princess Margaret and Margaret Rhodes, another of the Queen Mother's nieces.

It occurred to my recently that it is getting to the point where Charles might have to plead with his mother and father to use a walking stick. :ohmy:

The Shawcross biography of the Queen Mother includes a note from the Queen to her mother when she was in her 90s that really stuck out in my mind. It said something along the lines of, "Mummy, will you please use the walking stick? It would make Jean and the two Margarets very happy." Jean referred the the Queen Mother's niece, Jean Wills, and the two Margarets were Princess Margaret and Margaret Rhodes, another of the Queen Mother's nieces.

It occurred to my recently that it is getting to the point where Charles might have to plead with his mother and father to use a walking stick. :ohmy:

I remember how the CBC Commentators at Harry & Meghan’s Wedding were jokingly talking about how the DoE must have thrown away his walker/crutches w/glee as soon as he was allowed to. I turned to Mom & asked, “What do you think?” She laughed & replied he’d probably pitched them out the nearest window. [emoji1]

All joking aside, I’m in the same boat w/Mom that Prince Charles & his Siblings are facing w/their Parents. They’re bound & determined nothing’s going to keep them from doing what they’ve always done. Regardless if, as w/Mom, they’re very severely Visually Impaired & have a hard time walking rough ground anymore thanks to badly breaking her ankle a few years ago. Or in need of a Knee Replacement like Her Majesty needs, there’s nothing you can do or say to get them to do it or to face that changes really need to happen in order to able to have a better quality of life.

I can only imagine the pain Her Majesty’s in w/her knee, but I wince in sympathy w/her whenever I’ve seen how she walks in videos the last 2 years. That, what I call, careful very fragile way of walking because you’re in pain w/your knee (in this case), you’re trying to walk so the knee doesn’t give out on you or both...That’s how Her Majesty’s walking these days.

Having been there, done that & doing so at the moment after a fall a few weeks ago, it’s not something you want to do long term, as it affects so much more. I’ve actually been wondering lately if maybe the change in The Queen’s posture the past few years is partly because of how she’s been guarding the knee while standing/walking, instead of solely due to it being age related, as does/can happen w/some Elderly People.

I wish she would have it done. Yes, it’s a big Surgery w/a painful Rehab for anyone. Especially when that person’s in their 90’s. In this day & age though, it’s not as dangerous a Surgery for someone in their 90’s as it was say...even 20 yrs ago & take place all the time now.

The fact Her Majesty’s both in such great shape & to our knowledge no major on going health issues is another plus. In fact I’d be willing to believe their Medical Team was far more concerned about the DoE’s Hip Replacement than a potential Knee Replacement for The Queen. Not only was his age a concern, but this is a man who’s had his fair share of major health issues the past decade. Most serious being his heart & the need for a stent (1 or 2? It’s been so long, can’t recall) & stents means blood thinners.

So they’d have to stop them & wait for those drugs to clear, while hoping a clot doesn’t form in between going off & back on them. That’s on top of whatever we don’t know about HRH’s health, his age &...

See what I mean?

I wish she would have it done, but more than likely Her Majesty’s putting The Job/Her Duty, before anything else. Just as she’s done through her reign many times. As much as I admire that...I really do wish she’d go & get this done.

I can only imagine the pain Her Majesty’s in w/her knee, but I wince in sympathy w/her whenever I’ve seen how she walks in videos the last 2 years. That, what I call, careful very fragile way of walking because you’re in pain w/your knee (in this case), you’re trying to walk so the knee doesn’t give out on you or both...That’s how Her Majesty’s walking these days.

Having been there, done that & doing so at the moment after a fall a few weeks ago, it’s not something you want to do long term, as it affects so much more. I’ve actually been wondering lately if maybe the change in The Queen’s posture the past few years is partly because of how she’s been guarding the knee while standing/walking, instead of solely due to it being age related, as does/can happen w/some Elderly People.

Yes, the bad knee (or hip, or spine) starts to impact other joints, and definitely impacts general posture. It's why the knee surgery is better undertaken than not. :ermm:

I wish she would have it done. Yes, it’s a big Surgery w/a painful Rehab for anyone. Especially when that person’s in their 90’s. In this day & age though, it’s not as dangerous a Surgery for someone in their 90’s as it was say...even 20 yrs ago & take place all the time now.

The surgery is now more routine, yes, they have it down pat, but it remains serious, major surgery. In fact, looking at the Queen in her recent Thistle outing, I was thinking about her BMI and how much real exercise she's getting (riding a horse doesn't count). At a certain BMI count they won't do the surgery.

The fact Her Majesty’s both in such great shape & to our knowledge no major on going health issues is another plus.

I do not see the same thing you see. :sad: She is not in 'great shape'. She needs to lean down a bit and get in some exercise. The latter is hard to do, of course, because the knees impact mobility and flexibility. Vicious circle. :sad:

I wish she would have it done, but more than likely Her Majesty’s putting The Job/Her Duty, before anything else. Just as she’s done through her reign many times. As much as I admire that...I really do wish she’d go & get this done.

If she gets it done she needs to block out a swath of months for her recovery. It's one thing for someone highly athletic and young to be getting back to work in a week, they are still pumped up on pain killers and monitoring swelling and a walker and such. It's quite another to be in your 90's and already showing signs of being infirm.

She would absolutely be needing to use a cane (walking stick) as balance can be dicey during healing, and falling on that healing knee would be nothing one wants to contemplate. Public events would have to be structured differently.

BTW there are additional medical procedures that can eventuate if scar tissue becomes a problem, meaning the person undergoes anesthesia again for a 'crunch'. More swelling, more pain, and a lengthier recovery. These do not always happen but have to be considered. IMO she is better having the procedure in the fall and going through rehab and recovery during the winter months. JMO.

The larger issue is if it is both her knees that are in need of replacements.

The knee replacement stories have been around for at least 14 years, so I'm not sure it's actually imminent.

Queen Elizabeth received the Governor General of New Zealand Dame Patsy Reddy and her husband for an audience at Buckingham Palace on July 10:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Court Circular 4th July:
Palace Of Holyroodhouse

Mr. Kenneth Mackintosh MSP (Presiding Officer of the Scottish Parliament) was received by The Queen today.

The Rt. Hon. Nicola Sturgeon MSP (First Minister of the Scottish Government) was received by Her Majesty.

The Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry KT (Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland) was received by The Queen and reported on the recent proceedings of the General Assembly.

Captain Rory Maclachlan, winner of the annual shooting event of The Queen's Body Guard for Scotland, Royal Company of Archers, was presented to Her Majesty this afternoon and received The Queen's Prize.

The Queen gave an Afternoon Party in the garden of the Palace of Holyroodhouse.
The Duke of York and The Earl of Wessex were present.
The Queen's Body Guard for Scotland, Royal Company of Archers and the High Constables of the Palace of Holyroodhouse were on duty.
The Royal Marine Band Scotland, the Band of The Royal Regiment of Scotland and the Royal Scottish Pipers' Society played selections of music during the afternoon.

Court Circular 5th July:
Palace of Holyroodhouse

The Queen, Colonel-in-Chief, this morning visited The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers and Greys) at Leuchars Station and was received by The Duke of Kent (Deputy Colonel-in-Chief), Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Fife (Mr Robert Balfour), the Regimental Colonel (Brigadier David Allfrey) and Lieutenant Colonel Dominic Coombes (Commanding Officer).

Her Majesty was received with a Royal Salute and inspected the Parade from the State Review Range Rover before presenting the Regiment with a New Standard.

The Queen was graciously pleased to address the Parade and the Regimental Colonel replied.

The Regiment subsequently marched past Her Majesty and off Parade.

The Queen afterwards walked to the Hangar, meeting members of the local community who support the Regiment, before viewing a display of equipment and vehicles and meeting families of the Regiment.

Her Majesty and His Royal Highness were entertained to Luncheon in the Officers’ Mess by the Regimental Colonel this afternoon.

Court Circular 6th July:
Palace of Holyroodhouse

The Queen, accompanied by Prince William, Earl of Strathearn and The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, this morning attended a Service in St. Giles’ Cathedral for the Installation of the Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry and Sir Ian Wood as Knights of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle.

Her Majesty and Their Royal Highnesses were received at St. Giles’ Cathedral by the Chancellor of the Thistle (the Earl of Airlie), the Dean of the Thistle (the Very Reverend Professor Iain Torrance) and the Minister of St. Giles’ (the Reverend Calum MacLeod).
The Hon. Augustus Stanhope (Page of Honour to The Queen) was in attendance.
A Guard of Honour was mounted in Parliament Square West by The Queen’s Body Guard for Scotland, Royal Company of Archers, with the Colours of the Royal Company, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Sir Malcolm Ross, and accompanied by the Band of The Royal Regiment of Scotland.

The Queen gave a Lunch Party at the Palace of Holyroodhouse for the Knights of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle.

The following were invited: the Earl of Airlie, the Lord and Lady Macfarlane of Bearsden, the Lord and Lady Mackay of Clashfern, the Lord and Lady Wilson of Tillyorn, Sir Eric and Lady Anderson, the Lord and Lady Steel of Aikwood, the Lord and Lady Robertson of Port Ellen, the Lord and Lady Cullen of Whitekirk, the Lord and Lady Hope of Craighead, the Lord and Lady Patel, the Earl and Countess of Home, the Lord and Lady Smith of Kelvin, the Duke and Duchess of Buccleuch and Queensberry, Sir Ian and Lady Wood, the Very Reverend Professor Iain Torrance (Dean of the Thistle), Mrs. Christopher Roads (Secretary of the Thistle), Dr. Joseph Morrow (Lord Lyon King of Arms), Rear Admiral Christopher Layman (Gentleman Usher of the Green Rod) and the Hon. Augustus Stanhope (Page of Honour to The Queen).

Court Circular 10th July:
Buckingham Palace

The Queen was present at a Service in Westminster Abbey this morning to celebrate the Centenary of the Royal Air Force and was received at the Great West Gate by the Dean (the Very Reverend Dr John Hall) and, at the Great West Door, by the Chapter, the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Chaplain-in-Chief, Royal Air Force (the Venerable Jonathan Chaffey) and the Chief of the Air Staff (Air Chief Marshal
Sir Stephen Hillier).

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, The Duke of York, The Earl and Countess of Wessex, The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, The*Duke of Kent, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent and Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy were also present.

The Queen, accompanied by The Prince of Wales, later presented a New Queen’s Colour to the Royal Air Force in the Forecourt of Buckingham Palace and was received with a Royal Salute.

Her Majesty was graciously pleased to address the Parade and the Chief of the Air Staff replied.

The Queen, from the Balcony of Buckingham Palace, with other Members*of the Royal Family, afterwards witnessed a fly-past and*Feu de Joie.

Her Excellency the Rt Hon Dame Patricia Reddy (Governor-General of New Zealand) was later received by The Queen.
Sir David Gascoigne was also received by Her Majesty.

The Queen received the the Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby and Grand Imam of Al Azharfor, Sheikh Ahmad Al-Tayeb for an audience at Windsor Castle today, July 12: Getty Images gallery

--------------------

Some information about the Trumps meeting HM at Windsor Castle tomorrow:

Donald Trump to receive a guard of honour when he meets the Queen Sky News
Buckingham Palace has confirmed further details about the US president's meeting with the monarch ahead of Mr Trump arriving in the UK on Thursday.

The Queen will meet Mr Trump and first lady Melania Trump at the dais in the quadrangle of the historic royal residence on Friday.

A guard of honour, comprised of the Coldstream Guards, will give a royal salute and the Star-Spangled Banner will also be played.

Mr Trump and the Queen will then inspect the guard of honour and watch the soldiers march past.

The US president and first lady will then join the Queen for tea at the Berkshire castle.

How will Donald Trump behave when he meets the Queen? - ITV
US President Donald Trump is to finally meet the Queen.

The monarch – an expert in diplomacy – has met all manner of controversial world leaders during her 66-year reign.

But how will the American leader fare when he encounters Britain’s head of state?
Read the entire article if you want to know the points ITV has listed up.

--------------------

Well, (for once) I agree with what Piers Morgan said some weeks ago: ''The Queen can handle Donald Trump.''
What worries me, however, is how he will act when he stand next to her before the cameras, and what he will say after the meeting.
For I REALLY HOPE I wont have to see headlines like: ''She thinks I'm the best US president ever'' or something similar.

Last edited:
The Queen received the the Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby and Grand Imam of Al Azharfor, Sheikh Ahmad Al-Tayeb for an audience at Windsor Castle today, July 12: Getty Images gallery

--------------------

Some information about the Trumps meeting HM at Windsor Castle tomorrow:

Donald Trump to receive a guard of honour when he meets the Queen Sky News
--------------------

Well, (for once) I agree with what Piers Morgan said some weeks ago: ''The Queen can handle Donald Trump.''
What worries me, however, is how he will act when he stand next to her before the cameras, and what he will say after the meeting.
For I REALLY HOPE I wont have to see headlines like: ''She thinks I'm the best US president ever'' or something similar.

If he´d say something like, this it would be a lie, and everybody would know that. Even if she thought so (what would be totally impossible...!) she would never say that!
And if Trump would claim something like this (unheard of) it would be denied instantly by the Palace.

:previous:

1. It was ironically written, because I don't think he will do that when it comes to the Queen, but he says stuff like that all the times about other state-leaders.

2. Yes, of course it would be a lie - and people will know that, but it will create a lot of drama and put HM in a difficult position.

Maybe it would be a good idea to wait and see what happens before jumping to assumptions on what if.....:whistling::lol:

:previous:

I just read that, I honestly do not think HM wants this country anymore...and not many do....makes for a great soap opera.......:lol::lol:, besides HM has better things to do then whip this country into shape.....so lets move to England and then we have really enjoy her all the time.

Make it Scotland and give me the Castle of Mey and I'll start packing. ?

Ahhh... my funny bone needed tickling today so thanks Heather for finding that humorous article!!

It won't be an easy afternoon for HMQ [especially as the DoE is unlikely to be on hand to crack jokes during the inevitable 'longueurs'], but doubtless she will get through it with her customary tact and aplomb..
And the US media can get on with flashing the PR images across the Globe, as Mr Trump SO wants...

I think even he has enough sense not to try putting words in QE2’s mouth. I think it would be safe for him to say that he was not the worst leader she ever had to meet.

Needless to say.. I would love to be a fly on the wall when they meet. With Trumps inability to be modest it could be interesting .

On one hand you have an iconic, diplomatic introvert in the Queen and on the other hand you have a very extroverted man that is a head of state. They'll watch a parade and listen to the military band play anthems and then have a tea in the castle. Short and simple and then onto something else.

To me, it looks like what the public is going to see is mostly a photo op of the Queen and President Trump together. He's not really going to be given too much time to make statements that the press can pick up on. If anything, he'll tweet his experience with the Queen but whatever he says about that, its solely on him to express himself and will not reflect on the Queen at all.

It looked like things went well with the formal dinner with Prime Minister May last night and most of the news reports that are coming out today are focused more on Melania's gown than anything else. Not going to mention the political stuffs going around. I was more impressed with the gown. :D

We'll see what happens today.

Well... so much for my theory that the President wouldn't have much of a statement regarding the Queen. Its being reported that President Trump has given an interview to the Sun and has described the Queen as a "tremendous woman".

The quote attributed to the president states "If you think of it, for so many years she has represented her country, she has really never made a mistake. You don't see, like, anything embarrassing. She is just an incredible woman,"

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/13/politics/trump-meets-queen-intl/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously?

Posts attacking President Trump have been deleted. Posts responding to attacks on President Trump have also been deleted.

Posters are reminded that politics are to be kept out of the forums. Further political posts will also be deleted without warning.

Posters are also reminded that it is not necessary to respond to political posts; please report them. Responding will only ensure that your posts get deleted as well.

Mrs Trump looked posh ... as usually though.

Oh I agree. Melania Trump looks good in just about anything she wears. I just wish that she had more of a smile to her. Her facial expressions seem to reflect a very private person schooled in the art of not letting her feelings show on her face.

As for the diplomatic award of the day, hands down it goes to the Queen. She was pleasant and delightful from the start to finish. I just kept thinking that I wished at some point there, she would be able to sit down. Standing on one's feet for even 30 minutes is a trial when ones legs and knees don't want to cooperate but the Queen is an expert at being on her feet.

Of the three of them, HM smiled the most and seemed to have enjoyed it the most. I think she definitely took pleasure is instructing President Trump what to do as he inspected the troops. All in all, I think it went very well. :D

Just an odd blip about men's fashions. Anyone else besides me notice that the President's suit looks like it had been slept in? Lots of wrinkles in the pants and at the pockets. Wasn't a good look at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom