Proposals for celebrating HM's 90th birthday in 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muriel

Imperial Majesty
City
London / Guildford
Country
United Kingdom
I thought it would be useful to have a place where we could discuss what we would like to see done to mark the Queen's 90th birthday in 2016.

I think we will see a Service of Thanksgiving at The Abbey, and perhaps an enhanced Trooping of the Colour.

Sounds interesting: did celebrations take place when HM turned 80?

Sounds interesting: did celebrations take place when HM turned 80?

Nothing public. If my memory serves me right, there was a service of Thanksgiving, and a private dinner for the family that Charles & Camilla hosted.

I think a quiet dinner with family and friends would suit HM.

God's willing. No sickness or death. I think there should be a public celebration for Her Majesty's 90th Birthday. There may be some plans being drawn up.

I think the Queen will be reluctant to have any grand public celebration for her 90th Birthday although I agree that a Service of Thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey or St Paul's Cathedral is quite likely.
New stamps will be issued and a various TV programmes will be shown to mark the occasion.
Perhaps there will be a dinner with some dignitaries and a few select overseas royals such as there was for King Constantine's birthday a few years ago.

Was The Queen Mother's 90th birthday a grand public celebration?

Oh yes, there was a big royal gala at the London Palladium:

There was a Horse Guards Parade Pageant:

I think there was a party at Clarence House too. Diana attended as well.

So I believe we can expect similar celebrations for the Queen's birthday. That's something I'm looking forward to.

Oh goodness, I'd forgotten about the Queen Mother's 90th Birthday Pageant - gosh I would have only been 18 at the time! Well, we'll be due for another big event in this country, so lets hope the Queen's 90th Birthday is celebrated in style!

Maybe the Queen will do low key like Philip's 90th. They just did the service at St George and then had dinner with the grandkids at a restaurant in Windsor.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The Queen may very well feel that having had two jubilees and a royal wedding that another big celebration for her 90th would be over the top.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is more like her 80th - service at St Georges and private family dinner. Her birthday, to her, is a private event not a public one. Remember that ToC isn't on her birthday but months later.

I just think it would a badly missed opportunity to not publically celebrate The Queen's 90th Birthday. We don't know how many years Her Majesty have left. I'd say get her party on and wave those hands like she just don't care.

I just think it would be very appropriate to publically celebrate The Queen's life, give her tons of cards and flowers, everyone say thank you and wish her all the blessings and good health in the world. It was done for The Queen Mother's 90th Birthday and 100th Birthday. Those are opportunities you just don't let slip by without a proper celebration.

Everyone knows Prince Philip is different and don't like much fuss. The Queen is a different matter.

Last edited:
I'm sure the Queen herself won't want a fuss for her 90th, I reckon it depends on how much other people invite her /set up events for her and how much she her staff can persuade her to attend. I imagine they will be, at the very least; a private family celebration/dinner - maybe a summer cruise again and a dinner/party, a Service of Thanksgiving, some enhancements to the trooping the colour ceremony and possibly some sort of public walkabout like the Windsor one we saw on her 80th. The tv channels & media will make a big fuss.

How do you do an enhanced Trooping of the Colour? It is pretty over the top to begin with plus the RAF flypast? Also it is 2 months after her birthday in April.

How do you do an enhanced Trooping of the Colour? It is pretty over the top to begin with plus the RAF flypast? Also it is 2 months after her birthday in April.

Well it has been done before, for the Queen's 80th birthday there was a larger RAF flypast (ie. more and bigger aircraft) and the army fired the first feu de joie ("fire of joy") to take place in front of HM. Of course there are limits to how much in can be made more significant but its been done before which makes it highly possible they will do it again. As its the Queen 'official birthday' the fact that its 2 months after her actual birthday is, to an extent, irrelevant, it will still be an important part of any celebrations.

Odd thought of mine. Could it be done that instead of Trooping the Color with just one regiment's flag, could it be done with trooping all of the flags for HM's 90th?

I do think that anything big being done for HM's 90th birthday will be done to coincide with her role as monarch. For her private celebration, I think it will be just for her family.

I would just love to see an official photo of The Queen and all her close family: Children, Grandchildren, GreatGrandchildren, Niece, Nephew, Great Nieces, Great Nephews, and all the inlaws. I think that would celebrate nicely her 90th in both a Monarchial and Matriachal way.

Proposals for celebrating HMs 90th birthday in 2016

They did a big group photo for the Queen's 80th(?). It had all the adults in tuxs and evening gowns. The Queens children and their spouses, adult grandchildren and spouse (it was only Autumn at the time), David and Serena, Sarah and Daniel and the Kents and Gloucester royals.

Maybe do one of the Queen and Philip (if he is still there) with the great grandkids-Savannah,Isla, George, Mia and Cambridge to be named later sort of like the one they did with William, Harry, Peter and Zara where they were in kilts?

Last edited:
Will there be any special Royal Garden Parties? :lancasterrose::tudorrose::lancasterrose::tudorrose:

Last edited:
The problem I see with garden parties when HM is 90 is that she might be more unsteady on her feet then, and she'd have to stand quite a bit for a garden party.

The problem I see with garden parties when HM is 90 is that she might be more unsteady on her feet then, and she'd have to stand quite a bit for a garden party.

She's already showing signs of being unsteady on her feet. Then again, so am I and I'm way younger than The Queen.

I think 2016 (God's willing and fingers crossed) will be a year of celebration for Her Majesty's 90th Birthday. I also think it will be the time the Cambridge's will fully dedicate themselves to the "Firm."

Last edited:
Don't think she would want a big celebration for her birthday. How about a celebration when she becomes the longest reigning monarch? That should be in the next year or so.

We don't know what she might like. She will do what she is told by the government.

In the past she has had quiet birthday celebrations with her family - and I suspect that is exactly what she would like - just her family and close friends in a dinner at Windsor with no fuss.

As for being the longest reigning - again I don't think she would want a fuss made - some acknowledgement maybe but no a big celebration.

She simply does what she is told - if the government thinks a celebration would be good for the nation she will go along with it as it is her duty but she wouldn't be the one to suggest it.

She will do what she is told ? That's not quite how it works !

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

In the past she has had quiet birthday celebrations with her family - and I suspect that is exactly what she would like - just her family and close friends in a dinner at Windsor with no fuss.

The Queen's 80th birthday celebrations was not quiet.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/HMTheQueen/...thbirthday2006/TheQueens80thbirthday2006.aspx

We don't know what she might like. She will do what she is told by the government. She simply does what she is told - if the government thinks a celebration would be good for the nation she will go along with it as it is her duty but she wouldn't be the one to suggest it.

It is The Queen and the Palace who makes the decisions, the Government approves them.

Last edited:
She will do what she is told ? That's not quite how it works !

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

It most certainly is how it works.

The Government makes the decisions and she does as she is told - that is how a constitutional monarchy works.

She is a figurehead who signs the laws into force - but she can't refuse to do so (unless she wants to trigger an election with the rights of the monarch as the only issue on the agenda).

Do you really think she wanted to shake hands with the murderers of her Uncle Louis, or greet Emperor Hirohito whose armies killed so many of her countrymen, or host the Chinese leaders etc? No she wouldn't have wanted to do so - but she did because she was told she had to do so.

She does it because it is her duty. She has always put duty first - not her own wishes - because she understands that a constitutional monarch is there to do the government's bidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom