The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 08:51 AM
Majesty

Proposals for celebrating HM's 90th birthday in 2016

I thought it would be useful to have a place where we could discuss what we would like to see done to mark the Queen's 90th birthday in 2016.

I think we will see a Service of Thanksgiving at The Abbey, and perhaps an enhanced Trooping of the Colour.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Sounds interesting: did celebrations take place when HM turned 80?

Old 11-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Sounds interesting: did celebrations take place when HM turned 80?
Nothing public. If my memory serves me right, there was a service of Thanksgiving, and a private dinner for the family that Charles & Camilla hosted.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Serene Highness

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: Flashback: The Queen's Birthday
Old 11-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Heir Apparent

I think a quiet dinner with family and friends would suit HM.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

God's willing. No sickness or death. I think there should be a public celebration for Her Majesty's 90th Birthday. There may be some plans being drawn up.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

I think the Queen will be reluctant to have any grand public celebration for her 90th Birthday although I agree that a Service of Thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey or St Paul's Cathedral is quite likely.
New stamps will be issued and a various TV programmes will be shown to mark the occasion.
Perhaps there will be a dinner with some dignitaries and a few select overseas royals such as there was for King Constantine's birthday a few years ago.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Courtier

Was The Queen Mother's 90th birthday a grand public celebration?
Old 11-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
Was The Queen Mother's 90th birthday a grand public celebration?
Oh yes, there was a big royal gala at the London Palladium:

There was a Horse Guards Parade Pageant:

I think there was a party at Clarence House too. Diana attended as well.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Oh yes, there was a big royal gala at the London Palladium:

There was a Horse Guards Parade Pageant:

I think there was a party at Clarence House too. Diana attended as well.
So I believe we can expect similar celebrations for the Queen's birthday. That's something I'm looking forward to.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Oh goodness, I'd forgotten about the Queen Mother's 90th Birthday Pageant - gosh I would have only been 18 at the time! Well, we'll be due for another big event in this country, so lets hope the Queen's 90th Birthday is celebrated in style!
Old 11-04-2014, 03:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe the Queen will do low key like Philip's 90th. They just did the service at St George and then had dinner with the grandkids at a restaurant in Windsor.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen may very well feel that having had two jubilees and a royal wedding that another big celebration for her 90th would be over the top.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is more like her 80th - service at St Georges and private family dinner. Her birthday, to her, is a private event not a public one. Remember that ToC isn't on her birthday but months later.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

I just think it would a badly missed opportunity to not publically celebrate The Queen's 90th Birthday. We don't know how many years Her Majesty have left. I'd say get her party on and wave those hands like she just don't care.

I just think it would be very appropriate to publically celebrate The Queen's life, give her tons of cards and flowers, everyone say thank you and wish her all the blessings and good health in the world. It was done for The Queen Mother's 90th Birthday and 100th Birthday. Those are opportunities you just don't let slip by without a proper celebration.

Everyone knows Prince Philip is different and don't like much fuss. The Queen is a different matter.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Serene Highness

I'm sure the Queen herself won't want a fuss for her 90th, I reckon it depends on how much other people invite her /set up events for her and how much she her staff can persuade her to attend. I imagine they will be, at the very least; a private family celebration/dinner - maybe a summer cruise again and a dinner/party, a Service of Thanksgiving, some enhancements to the trooping the colour ceremony and possibly some sort of public walkabout like the Windsor one we saw on her 80th. The tv channels & media will make a big fuss.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Heir Apparent

How do you do an enhanced Trooping of the Colour? It is pretty over the top to begin with plus the RAF flypast? Also it is 2 months after her birthday in April.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
How do you do an enhanced Trooping of the Colour? It is pretty over the top to begin with plus the RAF flypast? Also it is 2 months after her birthday in April.

Well it has been done before, for the Queen's 80th birthday there was a larger RAF flypast (ie. more and bigger aircraft) and the army fired the first feu de joie ("fire of joy") to take place in front of HM. Of course there are limits to how much in can be made more significant but its been done before which makes it highly possible they will do it again. As its the Queen 'official birthday' the fact that its 2 months after her actual birthday is, to an extent, irrelevant, it will still be an important part of any celebrations.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Odd thought of mine. Could it be done that instead of Trooping the Color with just one regiment's flag, could it be done with trooping all of the flags for HM's 90th?

I do think that anything big being done for HM's 90th birthday will be done to coincide with her role as monarch. For her private celebration, I think it will be just for her family.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Nobility

I would just love to see an official photo of The Queen and all her close family: Children, Grandchildren, GreatGrandchildren, Niece, Nephew, Great Nieces, Great Nephews, and all the inlaws. I think that would celebrate nicely her 90th in both a Monarchial and Matriachal way.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Proposals for celebrating HMs 90th birthday in 2016

They did a big group photo for the Queen's 80th(?). It had all the adults in tuxs and evening gowns. The Queens children and their spouses, adult grandchildren and spouse (it was only Autumn at the time), David and Serena, Sarah and Daniel and the Kents and Gloucester royals.

Maybe do one of the Queen and Philip (if he is still there) with the great grandkids-Savannah,Isla, George, Mia and Cambridge to be named later sort of like the one they did with William, Harry, Peter and Zara where they were in kilts?

Closed Thread

Tags
celebrations, hms 90th