The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Royal Highness

The Queen's 80th birthday was actually celebrated throughout the year, and I think and hope the same will be done in 2016.

Happy Birthday to the Queen | Video - ABC News

The Queen Celebrates 80 | Video - ABC News

Old 11-04-2014, 11:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Will there be any special Royal Garden Parties?

Old 11-05-2014, 12:45 AM
Majesty

The problem I see with garden parties when HM is 90 is that she might be more unsteady on her feet then, and she'd have to stand quite a bit for a garden party.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
The problem I see with garden parties when HM is 90 is that she might be more unsteady on her feet then, and she'd have to stand quite a bit for a garden party.
She's already showing signs of being unsteady on her feet. Then again, so am I and I'm way younger than The Queen.

I think 2016 (God's willing and fingers crossed) will be a year of celebration for Her Majesty's 90th Birthday. I also think it will be the time the Cambridge's will fully dedicate themselves to the "Firm."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-05-2014, 03:40 AM
Heir Apparent

We live in hope of that!
Old 11-09-2014, 01:09 AM
Commoner

Don't think she would want a big celebration for her birthday. How about a celebration when she becomes the longest reigning monarch? That should be in the next year or so.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

We don't know what she might like. She will do what she is told by the government.

In the past she has had quiet birthday celebrations with her family - and I suspect that is exactly what she would like - just her family and close friends in a dinner at Windsor with no fuss.

As for being the longest reigning - again I don't think she would want a fuss made - some acknowledgement maybe but no a big celebration.

She simply does what she is told - if the government thinks a celebration would be good for the nation she will go along with it as it is her duty but she wouldn't be the one to suggest it.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:49 AM
Gentry

She will do what she is told ? That's not quite how it works !

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 11-09-2014, 03:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
In the past she has had quiet birthday celebrations with her family - and I suspect that is exactly what she would like - just her family and close friends in a dinner at Windsor with no fuss.
The Queen's 80th birthday celebrations was not quiet.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/HMTheQueen/T...thday2006.aspx

Quote:
We don't know what she might like. She will do what she is told by the government. She simply does what she is told - if the government thinks a celebration would be good for the nation she will go along with it as it is her duty but she wouldn't be the one to suggest it.
It is The Queen and the Palace who makes the decisions, the Government approves them.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlfraley View Post
She will do what she is told ? That's not quite how it works !

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

It most certainly is how it works.

The Government makes the decisions and she does as she is told - that is how a constitutional monarchy works.

She is a figurehead who signs the laws into force - but she can't refuse to do so (unless she wants to trigger an election with the rights of the monarch as the only issue on the agenda).

Do you really think she wanted to shake hands with the murderers of her Uncle Louis, or greet Emperor Hirohito whose armies killed so many of her countrymen, or host the Chinese leaders etc? No she wouldn't have wanted to do so - but she did because she was told she had to do so.

She does it because it is her duty. She has always put duty first - not her own wishes - because she understands that a constitutional monarch is there to do the government's bidding.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
The Queen's 80th birthday celebrations was not quiet.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/HMTheQueen/T...thday2006.aspx

It is The Queen and the Palace who makes the decisions, the Government approves them.

Many of those events were events that would have taken place anyway - but they decided to dovetail them onto the Queen's birthday - to link them e.g. she visited the BBC - she does that quite often so they made it a 'birthday visit.

Not it is NOT the Queen who decides.

The government decides and she approves them. She is their puppet, not the other way round.

She has three rights - to warn, to advise and to be consulted but ... if a PM decided not to tell her what was going on she could do nothing about it.

She is allowed ONE speech a year that isn't approved in advance - the Christmas Message but if they started to become political it would also be subjected to political approval.

She is simply a puppet who has little say in what she does and when she does it. That is decided for her.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:01 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Many of those events were events that would have taken place anyway - but they decided to dovetail them onto the Queen's birthday - to link them e.g. she visited the BBC - she does that quite often so they made it a 'birthday visit.

Not it is NOT the Queen who decides.

The government decides and she approves them. She is their puppet, not the other way round.

She has three rights - to warn, to advise and to be consulted but ... if a PM decided not to tell her what was going on she could do nothing about it.

She is allowed ONE speech a year that isn't approved in advance - the Christmas Message but if they started to become political it would also be subjected to political approval.

She is simply a puppet who has little say in what she does and when she does it. That is decided for her.
Iluvbertie! You misunderstand. I meant when it comes to The Queen's 90th birthday celebrations, it is she and the palace who make the decisions. The Government will of course go through the cost and approve them.

I am fully aware of The Queen's constitutional role. Britain is a democracy with a constitutional monarchy with an elected parliament / the house of commons. The Queen is apolitical, the majority in Parliament and the government has the political power. That's what's great about this system.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Will school children make birthday cards and have them mailed to the Queen?
Old 11-10-2014, 12:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Iluvbertie! You misunderstand. I meant when it comes to The Queen's 90th birthday celebrations, it is she and the palace who make the decisions. The Government will of course go through the cost and approve them.
If she wants a big celebration and the government says 'no' who is going to win?

The government.

If she wants a small private celebration and the government says 'no' we want to go all out who is going to win?

Again the government.

She won't decide - the government will and she will do as she is told - as she has always done.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:38 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
If she wants a big celebration and the government says 'no' who is going to win?

The government.
No, The Palace and the government.

Quote:
If she wants a small private celebration and the government says 'no' we want to go all out who is going to win?

Again the government.
No, The Palace and the government.

When it comes to political issues, the government decides. When it comes to a birthday celebration, the palace and the government will make a decision together.

We agree to disagree.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

If they disagree then the government will win - simple.

They may discuss things and come to an agreement but if there is no agreement then the government wins - because the government makes ALL decisions and The Queen goes along. If she doesn't want to do something and the government says they want her to do it she does it - doesn't matter whether it is political or a birthday - it is the same thing.

The government pulls the strings and the Queen jumps. The government might discuss matters with her but in the end it is the government that decides and she has to go along.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:06 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Does anyone actually believe that should HM, at reaching the age of 90, make her wishes known of how she would like to celebrate her birthday, that either the Palace, the government or anybody would not heed HM's wishes? I would think that they would bend over backwards to please her.

IF HM wanted to spend the day in bed with every Harry Potter book, all kinds of junk food imaginable and a case of beer and hang out the Do Not Disturb sign, at 90 years old... that's what she should do.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-10-2014, 01:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm not sure I think either of you is necessarily right on this one.

I don't think it's going to be a case of one wants to do nothing and the other wants to do something, so one wins and the other loses. It's more likely to be a case of one wants to do nothing, the other wants to do something, and they find some way to meet in the middle. The government really can't force the Queen to go for a pageant if she's not interested in it, but the Queen can't really force the government to allow and pay for a pageant that they're not interested in having.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened with the Queen's 80th birthday; one wanted to make a big deal out of it, the other didn't, so they found a way to just make a bigger deal out of things that the Queen was going to be doing anyways.

Given as next year is both the Queen's 90th and the year she surpassed Victoria in length of reign I would expect some kind of extra celebration, likely something that's a bit of a cross between what they did for her 80th and what they did for the Jubilee. I don't think we'll see anything too extravagant, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of a party, and the Trooping is a bit extra, and perhaps there's a special church service.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Given as next year is both the Queen's 90th and the year she surpassed Victoria in length of reign I would expect some kind of extra celebration, likely something that's a bit of a cross between what they did for her 80th and what they did for the Jubilee. I don't think we'll see anything too extravagant, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of a party, and the Trooping is a bit extra, and perhaps there's a special church service.
I agree with you in this.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:20 AM
Courtier

I think Ish's suggestion of the church service is most likely. Isn't that what happened when Prince Philip turned 90? Given her strong sense of duty and the fact she also becomes the longest reigning monarch, I also wouldn't be surprised at some form of reaffirmation that she will continue to serve the people.

Closed Thread

Tags
celebrations, hms 90th