The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-27-2019, 01:04 PM
Commoner

Prince Phillip's Qualities

As an American I have to admit that I don't know much about Prince Phillip, as much as the rest of the family (obviously other than what is written about him). I would like to think there is a reason that Queen Elizabeth seems to simply adore him, and that he has redeeming qualities, but he comes across as a grouch. You hear things like he sent Charles to his alma mater as a child where Charles was bullied and miserable, he didn't like Diana, won't be in the same room as Fergie, that even though the Queen is the "Queen," he is really the pants in the relationship/family and rules it with an iron fist. Surely there is some light you guys can shed to me on him in regards to positive characteristics of him.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPeach77 View Post
As an American I have to admit that I don't know much about Prince Phillip, as much as the rest of the family (obviously other than what is written about him). I would like to think there is a reason that Queen Elizabeth seems to simply adore him, and that he has redeeming qualities, but he comes across as a grouch. You hear things like he sent Charles to his alma mater as a child where Charles was bullied and miserable, he didn't like Diana, won't be in the same room as Fergie, that even though the Queen is the "Queen," he is really the pants in the relationship/family and rules it with an iron fist. Surely there is some light you guys can shed to me on him in regards to positive characteristics of him.
He was a highly regarded naval officer who gave up his career for the queen, there was no question of him carrying on in the navy as her consort. He saw active service in the war. I think we also have to remember the times they lived in,when they were first married, the husband/ father was the decision maker and they followed that as almost a way of giving him his place at least within the family.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
IMHO he's been a supportive and caring grandfather to his four grandsons and four granddaughters especially to those who experienced a divorce between their parents. Prince Phillp had a similar situation in his own childhood, so he appears to go out of his way to have been a nurturing grandfather to them.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Philip is and was a man's man. Straight shooting, stand up kind of guy. He doesn't mince words but also is known for his "gaffes" that can be insulting or funny depending on how you look at it. He's loyal to a fault. He can be a stubborn old goat set in his ways. He's a tinker that likes to look at things and come up with innovative ways of doing things and modernizing. It took time but he found his niche within the "Firm" and was even the chairperson when they had meetings of the "Way Ahead" group to plot the future of the "Firm". He's established The Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme that is far reaching across the globe. He's the type of man that love to be active and would be late for his own funeral if he had any say in it.

He has always been the patriarch of the family. Once upon a time, the Queen and Philip were driving in the car (Margaret Rhodes, the Queen's cousin was also there). The Queen was "backseat driving" and Philip, without mincing words, told her to "shut up or you're going to walk". Margaret later said to the Queen, "You're the Queen. Why did you shut up?" HM responded, "I didn't want to walk". This couple has had their ups and downs and "I love you but I don't like you too much right now" days just like every other couple. They respect each other's individuality and don't need to be in each other's back pockets all the time. They have endured for going on 72 years together and the Queen sees Philip as "her strength and stay".

As far as Philip insisting on Gordonstoun for Charles' education, I think he did have Charles' best interests at heart but he didn't realize fully just what his son's character makeup was really like. Charles could probably, at the time, be deemed the negative to the photo of Philip's personality. It worked for Philip and made a man out of him but it was a miserable existence for Charles. Anne is really more like her dad than any of the other siblings and she's a no nonsense, straight up personality just like her dad.

Philip is the longest serving consort to the British monarch and his life span is an interesting one. He's earned his place in British history and has been stellar in his service to Crown and Country.

My favorite quote of Philip's has to be "You have mosquitoes. We have the press."
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 09-28-2019, 08:40 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Philip is and was a man's man. Straight shooting, stand up kind of guy. He doesn't mince words but also is known for his "gaffes" that can be insulting or funny depending on how you look at it. He's loyal to a fault. He can be a stubborn old goat set in his ways. He's a tinker that likes to look at things and come up with innovative ways of doing things and modernizing. It took time but he found his niche within the "Firm" and was even the chairperson when they had meetings of the "Way Ahead" group to plot the future of the "Firm". He's established The Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme that is far reaching across the globe. He's the type of man that love to be active and would be late for his own funeral if he had any say in it.

He has always been the patriarch of the family. Once upon a time, the Queen and Philip were driving in the car (Margaret Rhodes, the Queen's cousin was also there). The Queen was "backseat driving" and Philip, without mincing words, told her to "shut up or you're going to walk". Margaret later said to the Queen, "You're the Queen. Why did you shut up?" HM responded, "I didn't want to walk". This couple has had their ups and downs and "I love you but I don't like you too much right now" days just like every other couple. They respect each other's individuality and don't need to be in each other's back pockets all the time. They have endured for going on 72 years together and the Queen sees Philip as "her strength and stay".

As far as Philip insisting on Gordonstoun for Charles' education, I think he did have Charles' best interests at heart but he didn't realize fully just what his son's character makeup was really like. Charles could probably, at the time, be deemed the negative to the photo of Philip's personality. It worked for Philip and made a man out of him but it was a miserable existence for Charles. Anne is really more like her dad than any of the other siblings and she's a no nonsense, straight up personality just like her dad.

Philip is the longest serving consort to the British monarch and his life span is an interesting one. He's earned his place in British history and has been stellar in his service to Crown and Country.

My favorite quote of Philip's has to be "You have mosquitoes. We have the press."
Excellent summary of his life and contribution.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:09 AM
Commoner

Quote:
he didn't like Diana,
Actually he tried very hard to support Diana and to keep her marriage together. (Google his letters to her).

His childhood was awful - his father abandoned the family, his mother had mental problems and he was passed from pillar to post, living with relatives. He said that marrying Elizabeth gave him the first home he'd ever known.

His letter to the Queen Mother after his wedding is of a man of deep feeling eg

“‘Lilibet is the only thing in this world which is absolutely real to me and my ambition is to wield the two of us into a new combined existence.’.... and “‘Cherish Lilibet?

“I wonder if that word is enough to express what is in me.

“Does one cherish one’s sense of humour or one’s musical ear or one’s eyes?

“I am not sure but I know that I thank God for them and so, very humbly I thank God for Lilibet and for us.’”

He has been her strength and stay indeed, but she has been the home he never had.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet14 View Post
His childhood was awful - his father abandoned the family, his mother had mental problems and he was passed from pillar to post, living with relatives. He said that marrying Elizabeth gave him the first home he'd ever known.
<snip>
He has been her strength and stay indeed, but she has been the home he never had.
One of his Mountbatten cousins said that once as a young man when he signed a visitor's book at a country house party he marked his residence as "no fixed abode." He was literally homeless when he married Princess Elizabeth (he was crashing most nights at his Grandmother Victoria Marchioness of Milford-Haven's KP apartment.)
Old 09-28-2019, 06:37 PM
Aristocracy

I’ve read that he’s fiercely protective of The Queen (who is innately very shy) when they’re in public - if he senses that she’s uncomfortable, he will jump in to lighten the burden for her, or steer her off in a different direction. That’s devotion!