Prince Philip's Former Greek Citizenship and Greek and Danish Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I doubt it especially if the older heir had married and had children. When Prince Albert married Victoria, he did not have to give up succession to the Saxe-Coburg duchy and eventually one of Albert and Victoria's sons inherited the duchy. Also British royals who married into foreign royal houses did not lose their succession rights. I know that the Norwegian royals are in the line of succession for the British throne, but now I am wondering if the same is true of the Swedish and Danish royals.

I think it was pretty unusual for Philip to give up his rights - Queen Anne was always called princess Anne of Denmark before she became queen, due to her marriage to prince George of Denmark. Her husband stayed the "prince of Denmark" through the reigns of Charles II. and his father-in-law James II/VII., but was naturalized by William III. and created Duke of Cumberland in 1689. While from then on, his wife used his ducal title, she still held and used the title "princess of Denmark" as well.

It must have been the mood of the day, that Philip von Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, known as HRH Prince Philippos of Greece and Denmark (as they did not use a surname for Greek royals) had to adapt his mother's anglicized surname to become Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten indeed. To appear as British as possible.

His predecessors kept their titles until marriage: His Serene Highness Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (consort of Victoria), His Serene Highness Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (consort of Charlotte), His Royal Highness Prince Georg of Denmark (consort of Anne), His Highness The Prince of Orange (consort of Mary II), etc.

Prince Philip of Edinburgh was not Heir to the Greek throne, as I am reading. Prince Philip was in fifth position in the Greek succession. 1 Crown Prince Pavlos, 2.' Prince George of Greece, 3. ' Prince Peter (son of George), 4 - Prince Andrew, father of Fhilip and 5. Prince Philip.
The Greek princes have to serve in the Greek army, when Philip went to the British army he assumed British nationality to access the army, for this he had to assume the surname of his mother, Battenberg, and renounce his nationality and therefore to their titles. Philip of Edinburgh resigned at that time the title of prince of Greece and Denmark. He did not serve in the Greek Army, nor to King George II of Greece.
Philip did not put himself in the service of King George II, he put himself in the service of King George V, who was the Head of another state. In Greece the Greek nationality was lost to serve the interests of another state.
Having a monarchy in Greece, a prince of Greece has to serve in the Greek army, and put himself at the service of the King of Greece. But a Greek Prince who renounces Greek nationality, and places himself at the service of another country ..
I try to explain that Prince Philip lost his title of Greece and Denmark when he assumed the British passport, the Battenberg as his first surname, he entered the British Army ... At that time he renounced the title of Prince of Greece and Denmark.
He resigned to his titles when he married with Princess Elizabeth II, I believe that this is totally false.

It must have been the mood of the day, that Philip von Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, known as HRH Prince Philippos of Greece and Denmark (as they did not use a surname for Greek royals) had to adapt his mother's anglicized surname to become Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten indeed. To appear as British as possible.

His predecessors kept their titles until marriage: His Serene Highness Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (consort of Victoria), His Serene Highness Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (consort of Charlotte), His Royal Highness Prince Georg of Denmark (consort of Anne), His Highness The Prince of Orange (consort of Mary II), etc.

Somewhat understandable in the immediate wake of WWII that he should be presented as British and committed to Britain as possible, just as Prince Louis of Battenberg became Louis Mountbatten during WWI.

Philip Mountbatten RN is a member of the CofE and fought for the allied cause with distinction. Prince Philippos of Greece and Denmark (Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg) is a foreign prince with Nazi connections, why can't Princess Elizabeth pick some British aristocrat?

Not saying it was right but it was understandable.

The unclear issue is the following.
At 1922, Prince Andreas, has been convicted to death for high treason and left the country ashamed.
In 1935 royalty was established back in Greece, Pcs Andreas I think never returned back. Princess Alice returned and spent almost 3 decades in Greece
Pcs Phillippos did only a few occasional trips
Was his father Whitelisted from his trial? Was his honor re-established back?
I know that for the other convicted and executed, the famous trial of the 6, they are trying to redo the trial. What about prince Andreas?
Considering that from 1936 till 1967 Greece was a kingdom, has any action be taken in favor of Prince Andreas honor?
Reply to this could clarify many of actions and feelings of DoE towards Greece

Prince Philip of Edinburgh was not Heir to the Greek throne, as I am reading. Prince Philip was in fifth position in the Greek succession. 1 Crown Prince Pavlos, 2.' Prince George of Greece, 3. ' Prince Peter (son of George), 4 - Prince Andrew, father of Fhilip and 5. Prince Philip.
The Greek princes have to serve in the Greek army, when Philip went to the British army he assumed British nationality to access the army, for this he had to assume the surname of his mother, Battenberg, and renounce his nationality and therefore to their titles. Philip of Edinburgh resigned at that time the title of prince of Greece and Denmark. He did not serve in the Greek Army, nor to King George II of Greece.
Philip did not put himself in the service of King George II, he put himself in the service of King George V, who was the Head of another state. In Greece the Greek nationality was lost to serve the interests of another state.
Having a monarchy in Greece, a prince of Greece has to serve in the Greek army, and put himself at the service of the King of Greece. But a Greek Prince who renounces Greek nationality, and places himself at the service of another country ..
I try to explain that Prince Philip lost his title of Greece and Denmark when he assumed the British passport, the Battenberg as his first surname, he entered the British Army ... At that time he renounced the title of Prince of Greece and Denmark.
He resigned to his titles when he married with Princess Elizabeth II, I believe that this is totally false.

Philip didn't serve in the British army but the navy.

He renounced his Greek and Danish nationality in 1947 when he took out British citizenship - which had to be gazetted and it was - in 1947 and not before. He went through the paperwork in 1947 with the approval of King George II of Greece.

I am not familiar with the laws of succession to the Greek throne, but Wikipedia says that, prior to 1952, all descendants of George I were in the line of succession according to male preference primogeniture. Does that mean Philip was once in the line of succession in Greece? I imagine he may have been disqualified though when he joined the Church of England in 1947.

On the other hand, as an agnatic descendant of Christian IX, prior to 1953, Philip was also theoretically in the line of succession to the Danish throne. Was he disqualified, however, for being Greek Orthodox?

Last edited:
On the other hand, as an agnatic descendant of Christian IX, prior to 1953, Philip was also theoretically in the line of succession to the Danish throne. Was he disqualified, however, for being Greek Orthodox?

I think all male line descendants of pricne Vilhelm of Denmark aka King Georg I. of the Hellenes where in the danish lie of succession until 1953. And all of them have been baptized greek-orthodox.

I seem to recall that there was a law in Britain (also from 1917?) that foreign Royal titles did not count when not accepted by the British monarch. I think Marina of Greece and Denmark was such a case when she became a British subject on her marriage. So this is what happened to Philip, too, I believe.

I am not familiar with the laws of succession to the Greek throne, but Wikipedia says that, prior to 1952, all descendants of George I were in the line of succession according to male preference primogeniture. Does that mean Philip was once in the line of succession in Greece? I imagine he may have been disqualified though when he joined the Church of England in 1947.

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that Philip was 5th in line for the Greek throne when he was born ... but that doesn't sound right, because Constantine I had two living sons, then there were two other brothers ahead of Andrew. Having said which, I'm not 100% sure who was and wasn't excluded when because of all the abdications and reinstations! But Philip was certainly in line, and fairly close.

I think all male line descendants of pricne Vilhelm of Denmark aka King Georg I. of the Hellenes where in the danish lie of succession until 1953. And all of them have been baptized greek-orthodox.

Why aren't Queen Anne-Marie and her children in the Danish line of succession today then? I was under the impression that Anne-Marie had to renounce her sucession rights when she became Greek Orthodox, so I thought the same would have applied before to the descendants of King Georg I, but I am confused now.

The Danish constitution, unlike the Swedish Act of Succession, doesn't actually impose any explicit religious tests on successors to the throne, but the monarch is explictly required to be a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure if this is in the right thread.

The Mail on Sunday has apparently unearthed Prince Philip's birth certificate handwritten and issued by a priest named Spiriodon Tryfonas. It was written Katharevousa Greek. Prince Philip's birth certificate has been "lying buried" "in a municipal archive" located in an old British Army barracks". This old British Army barracks "sits within the imposing Venetian fortress overlooking Corfu's Old Town". Philip was born in Mon Repos, Corfu.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/04/10/21/41593568-9457569-image-a-4_1618086038426.jpg

The rough translation of Prince Philip's birth certificate in the Mail on Sunday article (Unsure about the accuracy and reliability):

In Corfu, on October 24 of the year 1921, I, the undersigned vicar of the Church of Our Christ the Saviour, which is located in the grounds of the Royal Estate Mon Repos, declare that His Royal Highness Prince Andreas (Andrew) of Greece, aged 39, son of our late King George I, born in Athens and residing in Corfu, appeared before me.

He presented to me a newborn male infant, and stated that he was born on Friday May 28 1921 at 10am in his residence to Her Royal Princess Aliki (Alice), aged 36, daughter of Louis, Prince of Battenberg, born in Windsor Castle.

During his baptism the newborn was given the name Philippos (Philip) by his godparents, namely Her Royal Majesty Queen Mother Olga, represented by Her Highness Princess Olga, daughter of His Royal Highness Prince Nikolaos of Greece, and the Municipality of the Corfiates, represented unanimously by Mayor Mr Alexandros S. Kokotos, and Mr Stylianos I. Maniarizis, president of the Municipal Council.

The hereby act of registration was compiled in presence of the witness, Theodoros Chrysovitsianos, son of Nikolaos, aged 45, doctor, born in Corfu, and Konstantinos Alamanos, son of Pericles, aged 39, lawyer, born in Corfu, and both municipal councils.

The act of registration is legally signed by me, the appeared, and the witnesses.

Prince Philip's birth certificate is unearthed after lying buried for 99 years in an archive close to the Greek villa where he was born
  • Document was written by hand in Katharevousa Greek, a purist version of modern Greek, by priest named Spiriodon Tryfonas on island of Corfu
  • Found in municipal archive housed in old British Army barracks that sits within the imposing Venetian fortress overlooking Corfu's Old Town
  • Details how Prince Andrew of Greece, Philip's father, presented baby boy to priest, which he said had been born at 10am on May 28, 1921
  • Philip was actually born on June 10, 1921 but experts say his birth was registered using old Julian calendar, still being used in Greece in early 20th Century

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...taboola_feed&ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed

Thank you very much for posting this interesting document and its translation.

Note that the family members are referred to as "of Greece", rather than "of Greece and Denmark". I believe the latter form was used only outside of Greece.

Why aren't Queen Anne-Marie and her children in the Danish line of succession today then? I was under the impression that Anne-Marie had to renounce her sucession rights when she became Greek Orthodox, so I thought the same would have applied before to the descendants of King Georg I, but I am confused now.

The Danish constitution, unlike the Swedish Act of Succession, doesn't actually impose any explicit religious tests on successors to the throne, but the monarch is explictly required to be a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Because in 1953 the line of succession was limited to the descendantsof King Christian X. so the greeks fell out. And as Anne-Marie was marrying a foreign head of State it was probably thought her decendants should have no succession rights in Denmark.

Philip didn't serve in the British army but the navy.

He renounced his Greek and Danish nationality in 1947 when he took out British citizenship - which had to be gazetted and it was - in 1947 and not before. He went through the paperwork in 1947 with the approval of King George II of Greece.

Sorry for the mistake, butthe english is not my first idiom. I don't usually use English. I have used Army in a broader definition, but I think that does not change my argument.

Well, he was in the British navy, therefore in the service of the King of Great Britain and the interests of another state .

I imagine that after the First World War, in the Britain navy would require British nationality to gain access to it. These harsh laws were imposed in many countries after the First World War.

But I'm going to talk to you about Greece.

The version that Philip renounced his title of prince of Greece and Denmark, and assumed his British citizenship in 1947, I am sorry but that does not fit me in the history of Greece or in Greek law.

When Philip was 18 years old, Greece had a monarchy, and military service was compulsory for Greeks.
But in addition, in 1940 Greece was threatened by Italy, Italy gave Greece an ultimatum , Greece said no to invasion. The king called the people to war, all Greeks were called to defend the homeland, over 18 years old.... Except for Philip? Who was in the British navy. This does not add up.
If being called to war he did not come to defend the country.

I am only trying to explain him that he had to lose the title of Prince of Greece or Denmark, or give it up, when he entered the British navy.

He didn't renounce his title and Greek nationality, as far as I know until 1947. he served in the British Navy all through the war....

Sorry for the mistake, butthe english is not my first idiom. I don't usually use English. I have used Army in a broader definition, but I think that does not change my argument.

Well, he was in the British navy, therefore in the service of the King of Great Britain and the interests of another state .

I imagine that after the First World War, in the Britain navy would require British nationality to gain access to it. These harsh laws were imposed in many countries after the First World War.

The version that Philip renounced his title of prince of Greece and Denmark, and assumed his British citizenship in 1947, I am sorry but that does not fit me in the history of Greece or in Greek law.

When Philip was 18 years old, Greece had a monarchy, and military service was compulsory for Greeks.
But in addition, in 1940 Greece was threatened by Italy, Italy gave Greece an ultimatum , Greece said no to invasion. The king called the people to war, all Greeks were called to defend the homeland, over 18 years old.... Except for Philip? Who was in the British navy. This does not add up.

I am only trying to explain him that he had to lose the title of Prince of Greece or Denmark, or give it up, when he entered the British navy.

It's very simple. Philip had thought of returning to Greece with his mother both before and I think slightly after the war broke out, but his relative George II asked him specifically to stay in the British navy. (Even so, Alice was apparently quite surprised when she later learned he wasn't on a Greek ship.)

If you are a Greek citizen-subject and especially a prince, you fulfill your service by doing whatever the king asks you to do. ? No renunciation required.

he was training for the Navy in 1939, and presumably was thinking of making the British navy his career.... and he didn't give up his nationality til he was about to marry P Elizabeth....

Interestingly, as former Canadian prime minister Jean Chrétien noted below, the Duke of Edinburgh did not think of himself as an Englishman:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/con...ects-on-his-time-with-prince-philip-1.5381102
The Prince was born a Greek and retained his status of outsider, even though he lived the majority of his life in the bosom of the British royal family. A fascinating man indeed, whose contribution to Great Britain and the Commonwealth will be studied for years to come.

Last edited:

Interesting perspective. Can you give evidence for this interpretation? I do understand somewhat where you are coming from but was Philip ever invited back to Greece after his family went into exile? It would be rather unlikely to expect someone who was forced into exile with his family (and whose father was put on military trial and banished for life) to suddenly be expected to come and serve the country in a war. It seems far more likely that they were happy to see the back of him and didn't want him to return.

So, the question is whether Philip was still a Greek citizen or had only Danish citizenship as apparently some sources claim that the family had lost their Greek citizenship upon exile. However, in that case, it wouldn't make sense for princess Alice to return to Greek once banishment was quashed.

I haven't seen anyone else claim that he also lost his style and title. It seemed the Head of the Greek family still recognized it... If not, any paperwork to the contrary would be false and fabricated. I don't think there is sufficient evidence for that claim - and it would be a rather harsh accusation against both Philip and the British royal family that they fabricated something that had no legal value whatsoever...

Interestingly, as former Canadian prime minister Jean Chrétien noted below, the Duke of Edinburgh did not think of himself as an Englishman:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/con...ects-on-his-time-with-prince-philip-1.5381102
The Prince was born a Greek and retained his status of outsider, even though he lived the majority of his life in the bosom of the British royal family. A fascinating man indeed, whose contribution to Great Britain and the Commonwealth will be studied for years to come.

Jean Chrétien seems to be very close to The Queen. He was awarded the Order of Merit, which is now, I think, the highest non-military royal decoration available to a Canadian citizen (ranking above Companion of the Order of Canada).

Just read an article that Prince Andreas managed to restore his innocence and honor and was allowed to return in Greece around 1936, when his first cousin King George II returned from exile.
Weather prince Andreas stayed in Greece for along, it is not explain.
There is a relative TV broadcast, I will try to watch it tonight.

Just read an article that Prince Andreas managed to restore his innocence and honor and was allowed to return in Greece around 1936, when his first cousin King George II returned from exile.
Weather prince Andreas stayed in Greece for along, it is not explain.
There is a relative TV broadcast, I will try to watch it tonight.

I always thought that was just a brief return and he went back to Monte Carlo?

I think he spent most of his life in exile....(Andrew)

As far as I know, he was officially cleared in 1936, just after the monarchy was restored, and went back for a brief visit, but then went back to the Riviera ... more because he was happy living it up there with his mistress, whilst other people were looking after his son, than for any political reason!

He possibly went back to Greece to have his allowances restored?

Even today you don't have to be British to serve in the British military. You can be a citizen of a Commonwealth country or the Republic of Ireland.

In 1939 you could be a citizen of anywhere and citizens of the US, all European countries etc were welcomed - so long as they took the relevant oaths.

Philip was a citizen of a number of countries (he didn't even realise that he was born a citizen of Britain until the 1950s under the Sophia Naturalisation Act. Had that been realised in 1947 he would never have even had to go through the citizenship process in the UK ... which he didn't do until 1947 and his citizenship is clearly registered in that year.)

His military records show him as a citizen of Greece and Denmark prior to that. It is interesting to note that until Greece entered the war Philip wasn't allowed on a ship in the active war areas of the war so was out of harm's way but once Greece was invaded he was able to get permission to be in a active war zone and that is because the British navy and government regarded him as a citizen of Greece. He had asked to be allowed to serve in a war zone after Denmark was invaded but was denied as he was a Greek citizen, even though he was also a Danish citizen.

Or as a matter of pride. Never being allowed to go home again is extremely hurtful, so even a brief visit means you aren't in exile.

(If Andrea had any allowance restored, it didn't do him much good wrt to the dying broke part.)

Even today you don't have to be British to serve in the British military. You can be a citizen of a Commonwealth country or the Republic of Ireland.

In 1939 you could be a citizen of anywhere and citizens of the US, all European countries etc were welcomed - so long as they took the relevant oaths.

Philip was a citizen of a number of countries (he didn't even realise that he was born a citizen of Britain until the 1950s under the Sophia Naturalisation Act. Had that been realised in 1947 he would never have even had to go through the citizenship process in the UK ... which he didn't do until 1947 and his citizenship is clearly registered in that year.)

His military records show him as a citizen of Greece and Denmark prior to that. It is interesting to note that until Greece entered the war Philip wasn't allowed on a ship in the active war areas of the war so was out of harm's way but once Greece was invaded he was able to get permission to be in a active war zone and that is because the British navy and government regarded him as a citizen of Greece. He had asked to be allowed to serve in a war zone after Denmark was invaded but was denied as he was a Greek citizen, even though he was also a Danish citizen.

I have no idea about British immigration law in the 1930s, but, assuming Philip was not a British citizen (i.e. disregarding the Sophia Act), how did he live permanently with the Mountbattens in England ? I guess what I am asking is what his immigration status was at the time.

I have no idea about British immigration law in the 1930s, but, assuming Philip was not a British citizen (i.e. disregarding the Sophia Act), how did he live permanently with the Mountbattens in England ? I guess what I am asking is what his immigration status was at the time.

I'm not sure, given the familial relationship with the royal family, that his immigration status would have been questioned by immigration officials the same way some random Greek refugee with no relatives in the UK would have been questioned.

But he didn’t live permanently with the Mountbattens when in England. He was very fond of his Uncle George Milford Haven but after his death from cancer he often stayed with family friends and sometimes extended family in the school holidays as well as at the Mountbatten home with his cousins. Dickie Mountbatten and his wife Edwina were often away on separate trips anyway.

In the 1930s he also spent time with his sisters in Germany, especially Sophie, and sometimes was on holiday in Romania, with the young King Michael and his mother Helen. All the royals at that time seemed to flit from country to country and there didn’t seem to be trouble with immigration laws.

Back
Top Bottom