Prince Philip's 90th Birthday: June 10, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Birthday to HRH What does a LHA Do??

Just watched the interview. I don't think that Prince Philip gave a lot away in it, but it was still interesting to watch.

That last bit of the video that shows the royal family dancing is delightful!

Well I must say, he is quite a character. The videos were very interesting though. I know him much better now. He has been through alot in his lifetime and I must commend him on his strength and character. He has been a loyal subject to the Queen and has has fulfilled his duty as a consort/ husband. I admire his tenacity and his ability to do what is expected without reservations. Happy Birthday and Cheers to you Sir.:flowers:

Birthday Wishes

A very Happy Birthday to Prince Phillip today. Ninety is such and accomplishment and he done it with such verve. I can only say I wish he has many more years of crashing the pony carts, stealing cookies and sneaking around the household. "Con Gusto" is how I would describe the prince everyday. Don't forget to wear your riding helmut please! Pony Clubs rules.

Suzzanah

A very happy birthday to you Sir......

Wasn't there supposed to the a Thanksgiving service or something to celebrate Prince Phillip's birthday?

On his 90th birthday Prince Philip hosted a reception for a charity helping the hearing impaired at Buckingham Palace. I know these events are planned well in advance but there is something touching about the fact that here he is, 90 years old and he is hosting a charity for people with the same handicap as his mother, Princess Alice of Greece, who was deaf most of her life. Maybe she is uppermost in his thoughts today.

Happy birthday to one of my favorite Royals.

I bought you a 10-year date diary, Your Royal Highness. Don't let me down!

Wasn't there supposed to the a Thanksgiving service or something to celebrate Prince Phillip's birthday?
It is on Sunday at Windsor Castle :flowers:

Prince Phillip gets Canadian military command for 90th

Prince Phillip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has been named honorary admiral and general in the Canadian Armed Forces, to celebrate his 90th birthday.

“I am delighted that His Royal Highness has accepted this honour from Canada in recognition of his significant contribution to our national life,” said Prime Minister Stephen Harper in a release.

Happy Birthday to His Royal Highness on his 90th Birthday!! May he celebrate many more!!!

BTW...IMO The Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme is one of the greatest things/acheivements HRH can lay claim to. I was working on my Gold Award, but then my kidneys shut down and I had to go on Dialysis back in the early 90's, and I can honestly say it was one of the hardest things I've ever attempted to do and certainly showed me what is possible if you give it your all. I wish more young people tried it, as it really does test your mettle and show you just what kind of a person you are.

Looking forward to the Service of Thanksgiving Sunday, but even more to seeing him and the rest of the Family at Trooping The Colour tomorrow. :eek:)

What kinds of things did you try to try and earn your award?

I helped plan and organize an Overnight Camping Trip at the Provincial Park nearest the Camp (it's a grouping of buildings w/a main lodge and cafeteria) the Canadian National Institute for the Blind has in what's known as Cottage Country here in Ontario. It's one thing to help plan something like that when there isn't anyone w/a disablity to have to consider, but when every camper has severe visual impairments (myself included) and/or are blind entirely, it's even more difficult to do. That was one part of the leadership requirements, and I was also going to work w/the local Girl Guide Company for that year. I was also in the planning stages of setting up other things, such as the Physical Challenges, but....

As I said more important things took over and I never was able to finish it, as by the time I'd recieved my Transplant, I was over the age limit for the DoE. I still learned a *lot* though by the few bits and pieces I was able to complete before my health went downhill. It really is something I wish more High Schools in Canada promoted, as the idea is out there that unless you're in Scouting, Guilding or any of the Military Cadet programs, you aren't able to take part in the DoE Scheme and that's just not the case.

It really is something I believe will be mentioned in the Future as one of many programs/ideas HRH has insitutued to end up being his Legacy. :eek:)

I wish I had done the DoE when I was at school, as they organised certain trips and achievements to do for it. I was much too lazy back then and did not have the will power to do it. In hindsight it would have been an excellent thing to do, and perhaps I could have met a member of the BRF because of it! (Selfish reasons...shameful really, hah.)

Is the Service of Thanksgiving being shown on TV tomorow?

Happy Birthday to a truly remarkable man! He gets a lot of heat from the media these days about being old-fashioned and stuffy. But he is the embodiment of all the good (abet, sometimes embarrassing) qualities of the Greatest Generation.

His title of Lord High Admiral is well deserved, and a long time coming: nearly 60 years since he left his naval career. Those who thought that the Queen would allowed the Duchess of Cambridge to be styled Princess Catherine - this is proof that the Queen does NOT easily give out titles/styles to people who marry into royal family. You have to earn through decades of service to the Firm.

Happy Birthday to a truly remarkable man! He gets a lot of heat from the media these days about being old-fashioned and stuffy. But he is the embodiment of all the good (abet, sometimes embarrassing) qualities of the Greatest Generation.

His title of Lord High Admiral is well deserved, and a long time coming: nearly 60 years since he left his naval career. Those who thought that the Queen would allowed the Duchess of Cambridge to be styled Princess Catherine - this is proof that the Queen does NOT easily give out titles/styles to people who marry into royal family. You have to earn through decades of service to the Firm.

I agree wholeheartedly. Those who thought Catherine would be princess will have to wait! Not even Sarah became a Princess when she married into the family, nor did Sophie. I think the Duchess of Cambridge sounds nicer...

I agree, Molly and Empress !

The Queen is a shrewd woman.

I agree, Molly and Empress !

The Queen is a shrewd woman.

She is and rightly so! Catherine's full title would be the Princess William of Wales anyway (something to that affect), so she has Princess in there somewhere as Sophie's full title is The Princess Edward, Countess of Wessex etc. Although the Princess title is rarely use, when they were in Canada it was used in full. I can't comprehend that though. Imagine growing up with someone at school, knowing them as a regular "joe" and then suddenly they're standing beside the Queen with the title "Duchess of Cambridge" as their name. Madness.

I hope we get to see some more lovely family moments tomorow.

Anyone know what time the service will likely start? I think the best chance we will get a full shot of the gathering Royals would be on the steps outside of the Chapel.

I think it is a pity that there will be no coverage of the service - typical of the man of course - but I think he would be very surprised to realise that the public do actually admire him and would love to be able to show him with a public chance to cheer him on.

With no public in the Lower Ward there won't even be any unofficial pictures available - so sad to deny the public the opportunity to say 'well done sir - your years of service have been appreciated'. I can almost see his will stating that he won't have a public funeral.

Im pretty sure we will get a few pictures form the arrival & departure from the church. I doubt any pictures from the reception.

Im pretty sure we will get a few pictures form the arrival & departure from the church. I doubt any pictures from the reception.

I certainly wouldn't expect anything other than maybe some arrivals and/or departures as the media are reporting that there will be no public in the Lower Ward and no media coverage of anything else. I just hope that the media are allowed to show the arrival and/or departure.

I have just been watching SkyNews UK and they reported that the service is on at the moment but no footage of the arrivals.

Last edited:
A little footage of the arrivals on Skynews. Kate wears a blue printed coat she wore at a wedding one or two years ago. With a blue hat.

thanks for the news...hope we'll have some pictures as well! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom