The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Aristocracy

When will the interview with Fiona Bruce air?

Old 06-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Nobility

Happy Birthday Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh. You have been a blessing to Britain and the Commonwealth. Truly God's gift to Her Majesty, the Queen.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I've just watched the BBC interview.

Philip comes across as a self-effacing, practical chap.
I've always thought of him as an irrelevance.....
Old 06-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Aristocracy

Can anyone upload the interview via youtube? I checked the BBC website but you can't watch their videos online in the U.S.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Commoner

I've always enjoyed Prince Philip's dry sense of humor and the way he has a twinkle in his eye...I should be so lucky to be that active and fit at 90.

-- Linda
Prince Philip turns 90, tries to ignore his birthday - National British Royal Family | Examiner.com
Old 06-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Commoner

Thanks for posting these links. It's great viewing so far. And, could he have more of a resemblance to Prince Harry in this clip? The clip in question is about 8 minutes and 20 seconds in.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:14 AM
Aristocracy

Hard to believe he's 90. Hope I can still be going like he does at that age.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:25 AM
Aristocracy

I hope Prince Philip will finally receive all the credit he is due for having been the best royal consort of the 20th century, IMHO. He has served HM like no other in her family and for an alpha male like the D of E - it must be terribly difficult to always take second place as he has done with enormous grace and without fail.

Looking at pictures of him during his engagement and wedding, it is so easy to see why the young Princess Elizabeth would fall so hard and so quickly in love with him. If Victoria and Albert were THE Royal Couple of that era, Philip and Elizabeth fill that position in our time.

This is without mentioning his unbelievably hard work at so many different levels for many, many causes. I think his contributions will not be recognised fully during his lifetime, but I hope I am wrong.

God bless Prince Philip - and may we see other Royal Consorts following in his footsteps as time marches on and the reign of this Queen will then be a part of history. I hope he enjoys many more happy and fulfilling years by HM's side; I can not imagine one without the other!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:36 AM
Heir Apparent

I can not imagine one w/o the other either! The DOE is HM's strength, her rock.
She is his happiness. They both are life to each other.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

The Duke of Edinburgh has taken the Salute at the Household Division Beating
Retreat outside the Guards Museum on June 9, 2011 in London.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages/zimbio gallery **
Old 06-10-2011, 06:10 AM
Courtier

As I said in my above post I was there at the Ceremony, which actually takes place on the same Parade Ground as where the Birthday Parade [Trooping the Colour]. [The Guards Museum is actually some distance away along Birdcage Walk, which is much nearer to BP. Hope you don't mind me pointing this out.]

The Ceremony was performed by the massed mounted bands and Trumpeters of the Household Cavalry The massed Corps of Drums, the Massed Pipes and Drums and, as a very novel and interesting addition to the 'usual programme' of previous years, a stirring and innovative performance given by the United States Army Europe Band, which included [and I have never seen this before at Horseguards!!] an energetic jiving routine performed by dancers from the US Army Europe Band. Music ranged from the 'traditional' American Favourites [In the Mood, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy etc right through to an American rendition of Vera Lynn's 'White Cliffs of Dover'. I was amused to see a 'modern' drum kit and an electonic Kawai keyboard used - another first on the Parade Ground!! There was also a fine solo by the extremely talented Staff Sergeant Linda Wolfe USAEEUR. The peformance of Abide With Me was equal to any operatic version I have heard - it was performed because it had been included in the wedding ceremonies of both the Queen and her own Parents.

During the 'American dance part' of the programme, your Diarist observed much foot-tapping on the part of the Duke, who was clearly enjoying himself.

After the Duke left the Parade Ground at 10.15pm [Beating Retreat was a floodlit performance commencing at 9pm] by car [no carriages] I had the honour to meeet and speak with Staff Sergeant Wolfe, who despite her enormous talent was delightfully modest. If I may say so, it is touching that she made a career in the US Army, because she would have undoubteldy had great commerical success.

I then had the great honour to be a guest at a delightful Reception. This all meant that I was very late to bed.

American members of the forum - you can be very proud of the wonderful contribution that your fellow countrymen and women gave last night.

Thank you

[A rather tired] Diarist!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Philip's smiling face on svenskdam.se:

Prins Philip har också födelsedag idag – fyller 90 | Svensk Damtidning
Old 06-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Serene Highness

and

There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2rhyme View Post
When will the interview with Fiona Bruce air?
Aired on BBC last night.

Pardon? Prince Philip celebrates his 90th birthday - with a pair of ear defenders | Mail Online
Old 06-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Best wishes and Happy Birthday to Prince Phillip
Old 06-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza View Post
I hope Prince Philip will finally receive all the credit he is due for having been the best royal consort of the 20th century, IMHO. He has served HM like no other in her family and for an alpha male like the D of E - it must be terribly difficult to always take second place as he has done with enormous grace and without fail.

Looking at pictures of him during his engagement and wedding, it is so easy to see why the young Princess Elizabeth would fall so hard and so quickly in love with him. If Victoria and Albert were THE Royal Couple of that era, Philip and Elizabeth fill that position in our time.

This is without mentioning his unbelievably hard work at so many different levels for many, many causes. I think his contributions will not be recognised fully during his lifetime, but I hope I am wrong.

God bless Prince Philip - and may we see other Royal Consorts following in his footsteps as time marches on and the reign of this Queen will then be a part of history. I hope he enjoys many more happy and fulfilling years by HM's side; I can not imagine one without the other!
Beautifully put.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

BBC News - New title for Duke of Edinburgh as he turns 90

The Queen has conferred the title and office of Lord High Admiral of the Navy on HRH Duke of Edinburgh on the occasion of his 90th birthday.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Royal Highness

My husband has ear defenders that allow to listen to the radio while working in his studio or mowing the lawn. Plus there are some on the market which allow to use an Ipod with it. A lot of top shooters use them listeing to meditation music at contests. So his question was no gaffe or joke, but could have been meant seriously.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Courtier

Happy birthday to HRH The Duke of Edinburgh.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Commoner

I would really like to be that active and involved when I am 90! Happy Birthday to HRH The Duke of Endinburgh...long life and much happiness.