Prince Philip in Hospital for "Exploratory Operation": June 6-17, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose it's against royal protocol but shouldn't the Queen be at the hospital for the operation?

I suppose it's against royal protocol but shouldn't the Queen be at the hospital for the operation?

The Queen doesn't visit Philip in hospital, don't think she has the past 3 times he's been in. She phones him I believe.
I don't think it's royal protocol, more if The Queen's at Philip's bedside the press are going to jump on the 'it's serious' bandwagon. Other family members visit however.

One question that's crossed my mind. Isn't the London Clinic where Prince Friso is?

Friso is at The Wellington Hospital in North London, the DOE is at London Clinic Harley Street. London Clinic is a private healthcare organisation and one or its main buildings is a cancer centre.

Last edited:
The queen will also continue withi her royal engagements. That's the job

The queen will also continue withi her royal engagements. That's the job

Well you can attend royal engagements and still visit your husband during visiting hours, should she wish. Job or not. But it seems it's not The Queen's way to visit and it's probably at Philips insistence.

At 92 any operation is major operation.

The Queen has visited Prince Philip when he was in hospital during Christmas before last, some royals did too. She and other members of the family also went to visit him last June: Queen Elizabeth II Speaks To Staff As She Leaves The King

Interesting that he was in the hospital on this day and this time last year too:
http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/S...graphy&p=+Prince+Philip+in+hospital+June+2012#

I'm guessing there will be more private visits if he's going to be in the hospital for two weeks.

Last edited:
My thoughts and prayers are with Her Majesty and Prince Phillip. This is going to be a very difficult time for them as well as for their family. The Queen is a wonderful woman, but she is also a loving wife. She must remain strong even if she is sick with worry for her husband. It can not be easy! God Bless to a very special couple!!

The Queen may visit Philip at some point, she did when he was taken ill over Christmas in 2011 (but it was christmas after all) and she did when he was taken ill in the middle of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations.
On both times as far as i remember (and without searching to check) it was as he was nearing the end of the recovery period and not that long before he was discharged so I doubt a visit friday, maybe the end of the weeknd. 2 weeks is a long time so if he is that long it wouldn't surprise me if the Queen visits once or twice even if its very very private.

Last edited:
I just hope Prince Phillip will recover until birth of Cambridge baby, future heir to the throne

Imagine the headlines if she were:ohmy:!

I have no medical insight, but the information from BP is so
carefully worded that it reveals absolutely nothing; it's issued on a
need-to-know basis rather than nice-to-know! Judging from recent
photos Prince Philip does look his age! IMO it's no surprise that the ailments of old age are catching up with him! What's remarkable is
that he has been in good Health for so very long, until a few years
back!

this guy is stong: 81 years old. He can get it.

this guy is stong: 81 years old. He can get it.

Add almost another 11 years and you've got Philip. He'll be 92 on June 10th. :D

Hope Phillip gets well soon.

Maybe that is why the Queen was looking worried at the 60th anniversary of her Coronation.

Phillip needs to take it easy so that he can be with the Queen for a long time.

She should be there during the surgery.

Why? HM trained as a mechanic during WWII, not a medic.There is nothing she could do. Her presence would just create more disturbance inside and outside the hospital than would be good for anyone.

Why? HM trained as a mechanic during WWII, not a medic.There is nothing she could do. Her presence would just create more disturbance inside and outside the hospital than would be good for anyone.
I quite agree, my husband is always telling me when I say he should be there when someone in his family has surgery, why I am not a doctor, the queen can't go anywhere without a lot of fanfare, I know if she isn't there personally, she will be there in prayer and thoughts:flowers:
God Bless the DoE!!

I think if The Queen wants to be there for the surgery, she'll be there. All the arrangements would be made for it. If not, she'll be on that phone like white on rice.

I think it's best for the Queen to carry on doing her engagements. Keep her mind of it.

I agree she should be there. Any kind of surgery on an almost-92-year old is very risky and they would never operate on anyone his age were it not absolutely necessary.

I agree she should be there. Any kind of surgery on an almost-92-year old is very risky and they would never operate on anyone his age were it not absolutely necessary.

she should do what she is comfortable with, not act on other people's standards.

My thoughts and prayers are with Her Majesty and Prince Phillip. This is going to be a very difficult time for them as well as for their family. The Queen is a wonderful woman, but she is also a loving wife. She must remain strong even if she is sick with worry for her husband. It can not be easy! God Bless to a very special couple!!

Well said, mum!

she should do what she is comfortable with, not act on other people's standards.

Yes, she should ... and I wonder what that is ... and if she is.

Still do not understand why some people think HM should be in the hospital during Philip's surgery. How would that help either of them?

Still do not understand why some people think HM should be in the hospital during Philip's surgery. How would that help either of them?

I agree. Its business as usual for her with an engagement at the BBC tomorrow.
She's in London and will be in touch with the hospital. He gets treatment and she keeps busy. Best for both of them.

I think everyone is just worried that Prince Philip is having a surgery like this at 91 and nearly 92. Those who think The Queen should be there for this means well. I think we all are keeping in mind that The Queen have a job to do and probably rather keep busy but it's just the surgery sound serious and some think it would be nice for her to be at his side.

I'm sure if she's not there, she will be kept updated on his progress. I'm sure the whole family will be kept updated. I hope he sail through this surgery and take some time off and recover.

It is very tough when someone older goes under general anesthesia and has surgery. My mother required surgery, and she's about 20 years younger than the Duke. It took months to get her back to normal.

We planned on being at the hospital for her surgery, but we were all so exhausted from worry, we all slept in a bit. She was taken first, and by the time we were all getting up, the surgeon was calling me to tell me all was over.

So while I think a lot of loved ones are at the hospital during a procedure, it's better to stay away and in your routine, if you can do it.

So whatever is wrong or not wrong, this will be a long, grueling convalescence.

People on the internet were commenting that some of the royals looked glum at the coronation ceremony. This is surely a factor - not only is he a beloved patriarch, but unlike the vast majority of us, the DoE's and Queen's eventual passings will have a cataclysmic effect on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom