The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
It is usually better not to speculate about medical matters a doctor has made their diagnosis and everyone knows what they are talking about.
Its like when it was announced that he was going into hospital every media outlet found a doctor to start guessing and prognosing but none of them had ever examined the duke or seen any results from his tests.
I completely agree.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent

What a choice - let everyone know your medical history/facts or have your obit prepared ready to go to print.

Poor old devil - love him!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
What a choice - let everyone know your medical history/facts or have your obit prepared ready to go to print.

Poor old devil - love him!
My husband is managing editor for a major newspaper. They have obits on file for all important/famous individuals and update them annually so they are ready immediately when someone notable dies. That said, I think Philip is quite a character and hope his obit does not go to print for a very long time.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPWillie View Post
My husband is managing editor for a major newspaper. They have obits on file for all important/famous individuals and update them annually so they are ready immediately when someone notable dies. That said, I think Philip is quite a character and hope his obit does not go to print for a very long time.
Some of them have even been known to print them before their time. My fathers obit story was printed in London 14 years before he actually died. A journalist happened to be at the KE7 Hospital when my father was admitted, overheard a young intern tell me he would die that night but did not stick around to overhear the 2 actual attending physicians come out and tell us the intern was wrong and my father would be fine after treatment. Needless to say the story caused a lot of upset the next morning when we read it over breakfast. When my father actually did die 14 years later they called to confirm before running pretty much the same obit.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Actually its not so much the obit but the "pre-obit" tosh written by papers who haven't got the medical info (quite right) so put out articles that imply the man is dying.

Also happens with posters on blogs and forums

Old 06-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Actually its not so much the obit but the "pre-obit" tosh written by papers who haven't got the medical info (quite right) so put out articles that imply the man is dying.

Also happens with posters on blogs and forums
Yes I'm seeing a lot of that lately concerning Mandela as well as the DoE.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

Some of them have even been known to print them before their time. My fathers obit story was printed in London 14 years before he actually died. A journalist happened to be at the KE7 Hospital when my father was admitted, overheard a young intern tell me he would die that night but did not stick around to overhear the 2 actual attending physicians come out and tell us the intern was wrong and my father would be fine after treatment. Needless to say the story caused a lot of upset the next morning when we read it over breakfast. When my father actually did die 14 years later they called to confirm before running pretty much the same obit.
Amazing! Your father may have been the only man ever to have had the experience of reading his own obituary in the newspaper! I hope it was complimentary at least.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Mark Twain twice
"The report of my death was an exaggeration" (which is usually misquoted, e.g. as "The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated", or "Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated").

So many that wiki have a page for them -
List of premature obituaries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know this is off topic but my favourite (still laughing)

Fidel Castro (Cuban leader) in the CNN.com incident. The draft obituary, which had used Ronald Reagan's as a template, described Castro as 'lifeguard, athlete, movie star'.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Heir Apparent

I take that back - favourite is for Dick Cheney

Dick Cheney (US Vice-President) in the CNN.com incident. The draft obituary, which had been based on the Queen Mother's, described Cheney as 'Queen Consort' and the 'UK's favorite grandmother'.

I think PRince Philip might approve

Old 06-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPWillie View Post
Amazing! Your father may have been the only man ever to have had the experience of reading his own obituary in the newspaper! I hope it was complimentary at least.
Pretty good actually. He at least got to correct a few factual errors, although 14 years later they still made a few mistakes.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Royal Highness

Philip is such an awesome creature, as is his wife... I want to see the around another 30 years. So many people are just a waste of space, and these two are absolutely not.

A toast to Philip.. a very British toast to Philip... well done, Sir!

And I don't bother to call too many people "sir". Or toast them.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
Quite true but, it could also mean that she is concerned because of the possibility of there being something going on that is more serious than expected. I understand what you are trying to say as my husband was in hospital for minor surgery and I was concerned for him. But I am merely saying that it could be a more intense concern than what we are being led to believe. All in all, we have to wait and see.
Of course you're right my Lady. We simply don't know if "concerned" means "concerned" or "scared half to death she may lose him". Palace statements tend to be as cryptic and guarded as they can be. We'll just have to wait.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Commoner

Quote:
It is usually better not to speculate about medical matters until a doctor has made the diagnosis and everyone knows what they are talking about.
Its like when it was announced that he was going into hospital every media outlet found a doctor to start guessing and prognosing but none of them had ever examined the duke or seen any results from his tests.
Maybe it helps us process what's going on and gives us some comfort by discussing it with other interested people; hence the purpose of the Royal Forums. And particularly b/c the Palace guards information so closely, there's not much we can do but speculate. The information will be given drip by drip by drip. I hope the Press Office didn't treat their infant children the same way. They would have starved to death waiting for their strained peas.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Serene Highness

Well said. Thank you.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Heir Apparent

The problem is one person speculates and the next person takes the speculation as fact and then everything goes downhill from there. Even the royals are entitled to some level of privacy, most especially medical privacy.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Courtier

I appreciate the concerns about speculation in the newspapers or on television, but I don't think anyone assumes that the people on this forum have inside information. Only the medical professionals and the immediate royal family are the only ones who truly know how he is, and that is how it should be.

That said, it's only natural for people who are interested in the royal family to discuss current events, including those involving Prince Philip's health. There is no doubt in my mind that the doctors decided to perform a major operation because they have good reason to suspect that there is a serious problem. On the other hand, they would not have risked a major operation if they didn't also feel there was a good chance that they could treat the problem. Let's keep good thoughts.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think a major operation has happened. This was exploratory - unless I've missed something. Everything depends on the outcome of the analysis of results of this stage.

And I agree with US Royal Watcher - keep positive.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Commoner

This is awful. Surgery is bad, exploratory is worse and being in the hospital on your birthday is terrible. Best wishes for a complete and fast recovery. I hope it is not cardiac infection or vegetation due to the heart attack. Please send my dear cousin my best. And maybe a spot of cake.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Aristocracy

If he went under general anesthesia and they cut into his abdomen, even for exploratory reasons, it would be considered major surgery. But you are correct, we really don't know exactly what was done, how it was done, or why it was done. I am hoping for the best for him, of course, and his amazing Mrs.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Courtier

KPWillie is correct. Any abdominal surgery under general anesthesia would be considered major surgery, but even more so for a 92 year-old man. I can't think of any reason doctors would perform such a serious surgery unless they truly believed it would substantially improve his longevity or quality of life.