Prince Philip in Hospital for "Exploratory Operation": June 6-17, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 16m
That two months estimate for Philip is a month shorter than doctors I spoke to estimated but illustrates the seriousness of the operation.

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal 11m
#royal Buckingham Palace confirms the #Queen will visit Prince Philip this evening

Last edited:
Prince Philip 'Comfortable' On 92nd Birthday

The Queen has visited the Duke of Edinburgh in hospital, where he is said to be "comfortable and in good spirits" on his 92nd birthday.

Her Majesty's visit to the London Clinic in Harley Street, where Prince Philip underwent exploratory surgery on his abdomen on Friday, came as Buckingham Palace gave an update on his condition.

In a statement, palace officials said he is likely to remain in hospital for up to two weeks and will then take a "period of convalescence of approximately two months".

The Queen has now left after a 20min visit

BBC News - Prince Philip 'in good spirits' as Queen visits hospital

The Queen is visiting Prince Philip in hospital as Buckingham Palace said he is "comfortable and in good spirits" after abdominal surgery.

The duke was said to be "progressing according to plans at this early stage" but will have to rest for two months after the exploratory operation.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 2m
The Queen, smiling, has just left Prince Philip's hospital after visiting him for 35 minute

Last edited:
I do wonder what the card she was holding said. There appeared to be some sort of writing on it. DM blew up the photo but I still can't quite make it out.

I do wonder what the card she was holding said. There appeared to be some sort of writing on it. DM blew up the photo but I still can't quite make it out.

says HRH The Duke of Edin...burgh

She is a very smart lady. She would never look grim. That would be reported. They do not reveal anything they do not want revealed.

She is a very smart lady. She would never look grim. That would be reported. They do not reveal anything they do not want revealed.

I completely agree,I was surprised to see so many of the media saying she looked happy as if there was really a chance she'd have come out wailing with tears.

She looked a lot happier coming out than she did when she went in.

The royals try not to give much away on these hospital visits. William looked worried though when he went to see Catherine first time in December but then he was all smiles on other visits.

From Monday 10th June's Telegraph

Summary from the article

The Duke of Edinburgh is today expected to receive his first visitor since going into hospital, when the Queen drops in to wish him a happy birthday.

The Dukehas been too tired to accept any visitors since he had an exploratory operation on his abdomen on Friday.

“It all depends on the hospital and it depends on whether he is up to it.

“As far as his condition goes, nothing has changed at all, he is still comfortable and he is still recovering from his operation.”
Link (if you can read it)
Queen to visit Duke in hospital - Telegraph

I'd like the duke to dress down whomever this source is. It makes him seem like a doddering invalid who can't even listen to good wishes from his children! It was laproscopy (by all reports) for heaven's sake. Just knowing the Duke's character (out front, irascible, overtly supportive of the firm, honest) I hope no one let him read this pap!

His wife has spoken to him on the phone, as have others. The sole reason for the spaced out and delayed visits are the hounds of hell that watch the gates (the press). Any photo op is like throwing them red meat. :bang:That's the reason for the soft pedal on the in-person visits, IMHO.

I hope he and his Med team are getting things straightened out. Frankly, I don't care about the press or our "need to know." Let the man eat his Jello and broth in peace!

:previous: Oh dear, I hope I didn't come across as too 'know-it-all' - it is late and I am tired. But I have had chemo and radiation and have never heard of a PET scan failing to detect cancer when other tests have been inconclusive. :flowers:

My mother had several concurrent cancers. Not all showed up on the PET scan. It all depends on the radio tracer used. The PET also gave us one false positive among the valid positives.
Anyway, off the topic.

If it was the Queen in hospital with the same condition, and months of recuperation, would this trigger a Regency?

But what if she was too ill to wave and cut ribbons?
Waving and cutting ribbons is not a constitutional requirement. Besides there are other family members and loads of Lord Lieutenants who can cut ribbons.

No. because she would still be mentally stable

The regency act states that a regency is established when the monarch is infirm of mind or body or is unavailable for a definite clause.

If the Queen is of infirm body and unable to perform essential roles (ie the red boxes) a regency can be established even if she's of sound mind.

One could also argue that a convalescence of a few months would be defined as unavailable for a definite clause.

But what if she was too ill to wave and cut ribbons?

Neither of which are essential roles that only a monarch or a regent can perform.

says HRH The Duke of Edin...burgh
Cepe thanks for excellent detective skills. I myself still can't make out anything but after so many years on this computer I'm not surprised my eyes have deteriorated :lol: And yes I do agree she looked much happier coming out then when she went in. Tbh the first few photos of her going in had me a bit worried but relieved to see her smiling again afterwards.

The regency act states that a regency is established when the monarch is infirm of mind or body or is unavailable for a definite clause.

If the Queen is of infirm body and unable to perform essential roles (ie the red boxes) a regency can be established even if she's of sound mind.

One could also argue that a convalescence of a few months would be defined as unavailable for a definite clause.
I think in this case Counsellors of State would act.

Any two Counsellors of State may preside over Privy Council meetings, sign state documents or receive the credentials of new ambassadors to the United Kingdom.

The Counsellors of State are:
  • Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
  • Charles, Prince of Wales
  • Prince William, Duke of Cambridge
  • Prince Henry of Wales
  • Prince Andrew, Duke of York
Counsellor of State - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think in this case Counsellors of State would act.

Any two Counsellors of State may preside over Privy Council meetings, sign state documents or receive the credentials of new ambassadors to the United Kingdom.

The Counsellors of State are:

[*]Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
[*]Charles, Prince of Wales
[*]Prince William, Duke of Cambridge
[*]Prince Henry of Wales
[*]Prince Andrew, Duke of York
Counsellor of State - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to the article you linked that only works when the monarch is incapacitated for a short time.

It all really just depends on how ill HM is in this scenario and how long she is projected to be incapacitated for.

So, do you suppose we will know at some point what is wrong with the Duke? Smiling faces coming out of the hospital mean nothing quite frankly.

So, do you suppose we will know at some point what is wrong with the Duke? Smiling faces coming out of the hospital mean nothing quite frankly.

He went into hospital for exploratory surgery on his abdomen. The four most common adbomial surgeries are listed on the wikipedia page;
Abdominal surgery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unless it is life-threatening eg and incurable cancer or disease, I doubt the palace are going to confirm what is/ was wrong with Philip.

I think that decision is his to make.

Personally I find the inherent speculation in Peter Hunt's twitter (post # 207) intrusive. I should add that I have strong views that medical in confidence should mean just that. And there is no formal "public interest" situation in this, just media and some public speculation and curiosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom