The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Courtier

I think it's best for the Queen to carry on doing her engagements. Keep her mind of it.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lallyvee View Post
She should be there during the surgery.
I agree she should be there. Any kind of surgery on an almost-92-year old is very risky and they would never operate on anyone his age were it not absolutely necessary.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPWillie View Post
I agree she should be there. Any kind of surgery on an almost-92-year old is very risky and they would never operate on anyone his age were it not absolutely necessary.
she should do what she is comfortable with, not act on other people's standards.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum View Post
My thoughts and prayers are with Her Majesty and Prince Phillip. This is going to be a very difficult time for them as well as for their family. The Queen is a wonderful woman, but she is also a loving wife. She must remain strong even if she is sick with worry for her husband. It can not be easy! God Bless to a very special couple!!
Well said, mum!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
At 92 any operation is major operation.
Absolutely!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

she should do what she is comfortable with, not act on other people's standards.
Yes, she should ... and I wonder what that is ... and if she is.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Still do not understand why some people think HM should be in the hospital during Philip's surgery. How would that help either of them?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Still do not understand why some people think HM should be in the hospital during Philip's surgery. How would that help either of them?
I agree. Its business as usual for her with an engagement at the BBC tomorrow.
She's in London and will be in touch with the hospital. He gets treatment and she keeps busy. Best for both of them.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Majesty

I think everyone is just worried that Prince Philip is having a surgery like this at 91 and nearly 92. Those who think The Queen should be there for this means well. I think we all are keeping in mind that The Queen have a job to do and probably rather keep busy but it's just the surgery sound serious and some think it would be nice for her to be at his side.

I'm sure if she's not there, she will be kept updated on his progress. I'm sure the whole family will be kept updated. I hope he sail through this surgery and take some time off and recover.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Royal Highness

It is very tough when someone older goes under general anesthesia and has surgery. My mother required surgery, and she's about 20 years younger than the Duke. It took months to get her back to normal.

We planned on being at the hospital for her surgery, but we were all so exhausted from worry, we all slept in a bit. She was taken first, and by the time we were all getting up, the surgeon was calling me to tell me all was over.

So while I think a lot of loved ones are at the hospital during a procedure, it's better to stay away and in your routine, if you can do it.

So whatever is wrong or not wrong, this will be a long, grueling convalescence.

People on the internet were commenting that some of the royals looked glum at the coronation ceremony. This is surely a factor - not only is he a beloved patriarch, but unlike the vast majority of us, the DoE's and Queen's eventual passings will have a cataclysmic effect on them.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well said.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Nobility

During my mother's major surgery 18 months ago, my siblings and I all were there, waiting. However, unlike most of us, the queen has instant access to information, and I'm sure will be updated as the surgery progresses, and should the need arise, can be whisked there at a moments notice. Thus I see no point in her sitting in a waiting room in the clinic, Phillip will be under anesthesia and won't know what's happening until he wakes up anyway and the Queen will have been informed of what the surgery revealed long before he regains consciousness. Best to learn the news privately particularly if it's not good news. The queen is an expert at 'stay calm and carry on' if she behaved otherwise speculation would run wild.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Caring friends and associates support others when they need help - they don't force opinions. I say, let's all support the Royal Family however/whenever they visit, call, send good thoughts, etc. Or when they don't. Let's let them make those family decisions and we'll just stand by and support them and wish them well.

I know when my family has been sick, that's the kind of support I needed. I'd send a casserole to BP - but doubt it would get past the door.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Serene Highness

Most worrisome! Best wishes to HRH and strength for HM.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Majesty

Best wishes to His Highness for a speedy recovery, and good health. It's sad that he'll be missing Trooping the Colour and Garter Day, but his health comes first.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post

Why? HM trained as a mechanic during WWII, not a medic.There is nothing she could do. Her presence would just create more disturbance inside and outside the hospital than would be good for anyone.
If someone I love dearly is having surgery or at the hospital for any reason I am camping out there whether I am a doctor or not. William is going to be there when Kate has the baby despite him not being a trained medic; I am not saying that Elizabeth has to be there just pointing out that being there for someone you love is not a waste of time.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post

If someone I love dearly is having surgery or at the hospital for any reason I am camping out there whether I am a doctor or not. William is going to be there when Kate has the baby despite him not being a trained medic; I am not saying that Elizabeth has to be there just pointing out that being there for someone you love is not a waste of time.
I hope Philip lives to see William and Kate's baby.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
I hope Philip lives to see William and Kate's baby.
Please lets not put the cart before the horse. I don't remember reading anything that stated that this hospitalization may be because of some "dire" circumstances or that its in any way an emergency. Of course any surgical procedures carry risks but I've not seen anything to indicate that Philip's is anything other than exploratory.

As far as the Queen being at the hospital, I do believe that she will go on with her scheduled engagements. We have to remember too that Philip is very much a "no muss no fuss" kind of guy and probably wouldn't appreciate people hovering around or fussing around him. After his procedure, his main job is to rest and from experience, sometimes having visitors can be very tiring and stressful if the only thing you really want to do is sleep. With phone calls, HM can talk to the doctors and staff for updates and talk to Philip when he feels up to phone calls.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Majesty

It's all speculation as to what the Duke suffers from,besides a huge stamina to live that is!And I count on him again,he will pull through this one again...And please,let people stop googling or looking up their medical enceclopedia as to what sort of systems are in the neighbourhood of the underbelly...I must say,the two weeks are a long time,but he's being closely monitored at any rate.Come on Phil,you've been there before!!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Anne was there, but the focus of the media is never on her.
She was there, alright, and she looked smashing. She was wearing a new outfit, I think. She doesn't get new outfits often, but when she does she really makes a mark.

I'm sure all the children and grandchildren were thinking of their father/grandfather's forthcoming surgery and the possibility that this might be the last time he attends one of these fancy dos.