The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Majesty

Another article on Wills' and Harry visiting their Grandfather. It's sad that Philip will have to spend his Birthday in the hospital, but hopefully, he'll be surrounded by family and will be getting the rest that he needs in order to get better.

Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry visit Duke of Edinburgh in hospital - Telegraph

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Hopefully, they'll have a birthday cake and small celebration for him there.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
I think she loves all her children in the same way.

I disagree.

Yes she loves them all but it is clear that she is definitely closer to her younger sons then to the older two children. It is also clear that she has a good relationship with Anne and that the child with whom she has the uneasiest relationship is Charles.

With Philip I would say he prefers Anne but also is closer to the younger sons.

That means that although they both love Charles and he them he also knows that they would prefer any of his siblings to himself - sad but to my mind very obvious.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

They love all their children, but Charles has written that he had a distant relationship with them, which hurt him. I, believe, to a, certain, extent Camilla fills that roll. Not good or bad, just is.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
They love all their children, but Charles has written that he had a distant relationship with them, which hurt him. I, believe, to a, certain, extent Camilla fills that roll. Not good or bad, just is.
I too think to a certain extent that Camilla is Charles "parent" and that this just is - plenty of people have similar relationships.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Aristocracy

I'm staring to get a little worried about Prince Phillip's condition - he has been in now for quite a while, and the family visits are of very short duration, with small numbers of people. I'm not sure that this was a "precaution." Why are they only staying 20 minutes or so, and why didn't Kate go with William?
Old 06-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Majesty

The thing that makes me less concerned (although concerned) is that The Queen hasn't visited since Wednesday. If there were really serious concerns she would be at her husband's side not at Sandringham planning a Garden Party for Tuesday of this upcoming week.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The thing that makes me less concerned (although concerned) is that The Queen hasn't visited since Wednesday. If there were really serious concerns she would be at her husband's side not at Sandringham planning a Garden Party for Tuesday of this upcoming week.
True!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post
I'm staring to get a little worried about Prince Phillip's condition - he has been in now for quite a while, and the family visits are of very short duration, with small numbers of people. I'm not sure that this was a "precaution." Why are they only staying 20 minutes or so, and why didn't Kate go with William?
I think a lot of it has to do with Philip's distaste for fuss. He may feel that it's not necessary to keep people in a hospital room for long hours, and keep them from whatever it is that they need to do (which he may feel is more important than being in a hospital room and fussing over him, since I'm sure there are plenty of nurses and doctors who do that day in and day out). Also, he may not want his kids and grandkids to see him at his worst, and therefore create any anxiety. We don't know if they communicate via phone, and if His Highness prefers to chat on the phone rather than having someone come and see him. I know that my godmother, who's around Her Majesty's age absolutely detests being fussed over. She refuses any sort of help around the house, won't have people drop in to see her when she's ill, etc. When she was in the hospital this past December, she didn't want anyone to know about it. The only way we found out was through her tenant, who was kind enough to call my grandmother and inform her that she had to take my godmother to the ER. We need to remember that a lot of elderly people really like to keep as much of their independence as possible, and maybe having short hospital visits is just Philip's way of showing self-sufficiency (and his way of saying that he'd like some peace and quiet ).

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
That's been my thought as well. I can't see her- and the entire rest of the family-going about "business as usual" if this was really serious.

I hope he gets well soon.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Nobility

The Queen may not be visiting every day, but I would not be surprised if she is speaking to Philip by phone every day.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:24 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
The Queen may not be visiting every day, but I would not be surprised if she is speaking to Philip by phone every day.
It wouldn't surprise me either.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Majesty

I have no doubts that she is in contact daily, if not more often, and that she is also being kept informed by the medical staff. That is what is making me less concered actually. If she was told 'look ma'am he isn't getting better, in fact he is deteriorating' she would be at his side, not going about her normal business.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

A wonderful surprise - Prince Philip has just left hospital! He was looking well as he thanked hospital staff and posed for a few moments for the assembled press to take a few pictures.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
A wonderful surprise - Prince Philip has just left hospital! He was looking well as he thanked hospital staff and posed for a few moments for the assembled press to take a few pictures.

Great news Now he can celebrate his 91st birthday with his family
Old 06-09-2012, 06:21 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Wonderful news!

Prince Philip has been let out of hospital in time to spend his 91st birthday at home with the rest of the royal family.

Quote:
Princes William and Harry visited the Duke of Edinburgh in hospital yesterday to lift his spirits after the Palace thought he would not be out in time to celebrate his birthday tomorrow. The Duke of Edinburgh is recovering from a bladder infection that has laid him low since Monday.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:25 AM
Courtier

Yay!
Wonderful news.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:12 AM
Courtier

Video of the Duke leaving hospital - BBC News - Duke of Edinburgh leaves hospital after five nights

Nice to see him up and about again!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:41 AM
Majesty

Fantastic news!!Bless the man!!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

So happy to know he will be with his family now ! Great news !