The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Royal Highness

Those pictures of the Queen and Prince Andrew are very encouraging. From what I saw, the Queen had a little smile on her face which must mean that Prince Philip is feeling somewhat better, that is always nice to see.

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I think this shows the absolute dedication of the Duke to his wife and his country. He must have felt rough on the day of the pageant though you'd never know it by his smile and his remarkable effort. Still boggles the mind why they'd think it was a good idea to put a (nearly) 91 year old man on a boat in the pouring rain and wind but there we are. I hope HRH gets better very very soon.

When you really think about it, you could really imagine another place that the DoE would have been so happy at? All during the pageant and watching Philip, I swear sometimes the look on his face was that of a young child watching a christmas tree light up. He really thoroughly enjoyed himself.

I hope he makes a speedy recovery too and once he is home with his family, he doesn't give them too much guff about taking it easy. Its hard to keep a good man down.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:26 PM

Oh absolutely. He did seem to love it, in fact I think he was more excited than the Queen was! I don't want to sound all 'health and safety' but I think both the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have to try and slow down! But we know from other sources that they've no intention of taking it easy whatever their age now. Which is great actually.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Oh absolutely. He did seem to love it, in fact I think he was more excited than the Queen was! I don't want to sound all 'health and safety' but I think both the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have to try and slow down! But we know from other sources that they've no intention of taking it easy whatever their age now. Which is great actually.
I do think that they will take it a bit easier as we see Charles and Camilla take over more and more engagements representing the Queen. What brought this thought on for me was the careful planning of the luncheon for the crowned heads. HM hosted her luncheon at Windsor Castle which is more of an "at home" atmosphere whereas the more formal dinner was hosted by Charles at BP - the more official business residence. I'm sure the Queen and the DoE will very much stay active but hopefully more so in endeavors that they enjoy so much
Old 06-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think anyone 'lets' Philip do anything. I suspect that when he decides he wants to do something there's very little anyone can do.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Nobility

So it's been interesting to finally watch the CTV interview with Andrew conducted last Friday. At one point, he's asked about Philip's health and assures the interviewer that Philip is in excellent health and fully recovered from his heart scare. Then Andrew goes on to say that everyone will see on Sunday just how good Philip is doing.

Either this bladder infection came out of nowhere, or Andrew really doesn't know what's going on with his father.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena
So it's been interesting to finally watch the CTV interview with Andrew conducted last Friday. At one point, he's asked about Philip's health and assures the interviewer that Philip is in excellent health and fully recovered from his heart scare. Then Andrew goes on to say that everyone will see on Sunday just how good Philip is doing.

Either this bladder infection came out of nowhere, or Andrew really doesn't know what's going on with his father.
Bladder infections can be hard to detect in the elderly, so I would go with that it (kinda) came out of nowhere. Generally speaking, the elderly patients who are admitted on the unit I work are up and about the ward, just hanging out and visiting, feeling fine and having no real outwards symptoms, but the labs will show a raging infection.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:17 PM
Courtier

Believe me a bladder infection can come on very suddenly.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post

Another point - is when was that interview done?
Old 06-07-2012, 11:40 PM
Nobility

Last Friday, because Andrew mentions that he and his daughters will be attending the Epsom Derby the very next day. So this would have been two days before the Thames river pageant.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:36 AM
Majesty

Thank you.

Seeing as we saw virtually none of the documentaries, except for The Diamond Queen one, I have no idea about these things.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Buckingham Palace are saying that Philip is unlikely to be released from hospital in time for his 91st birthday. So I would assume that we're looking at Monday at the earliest.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Is Prince Andrew the Queen’s favorite Son ?
Old 06-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Is Prince Andrew the Queen’s favorite Son ?
It has been often reported that the Duke of York is closest to Her Majesty.
How true those reports are, however, we don't know.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Heir Apparent

I think she loves all her children in the same way.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Aristocracy

is he getting any better i felt sorry for the queen when he was not next to her when she was going 2 the services
Old 06-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Prince Philip to spend his 91st birthday in hospital... but is hoped to be back by the Queen's side for Jubilee garden party next week
Quote:
He was determined to celebrate his 91st birthday on Sunday at home with his family. But it seems that the Duke of Edinburgh faces spending the day in hospital, as he continues to recover from a bladder infection. Buckingham Palace said he might not be discharged by Sunday despite the Duke of York's assurance this week that his father was on the mend. Philip had been planning to celebrate privately and was not due to attend his next scheduled engagement until Tuesday, when the Queen hosts a garden party at the Sandringham Estate to mark her Diamond Jubilee.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Heir Apparent

William and Harry visited today
Quote:
British Royals ‏@britishroyals RT @HWalesWatch: Exclusive pic: Prince Harry & Prince William leave hospital after visiting Prince Phillip today http://po.st/w5Ufoo
Old 06-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
William and Harry visited today
[URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/britishroyals"]
ahh that is so sweet
Old 06-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
William and Harry visited today.

William and Harry visit Prince Philip in hospital as Palace confirm he won't be out in time to spend his 91st birthday at home

Quote:
Princes William and Harry visited the Duke of Edinburgh in hospital this afternoon to lift his spirits after the Palace confirmed he won't be be out in time celebrate his 91st birthday on Sunday at home. It seems that the Duke of Edinburgh faces spending the weekend in hospital as he continues to recover from a bladder infection that has laid him low since Monday. Philip's grandsons paid him a "short private visit" just before 5pm after the news was released earlier today, Clarence House said.