The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I can not understand what happened suddenly!
He was taken ill with a urinary tract infection. An infection that would have been present the day of the pageant but was perhaps not as of yet a concern for him. He may not even known he had it that time.

Normally symptoms become evident when the bacteria has been in the system a number of days.

So, when he started to exhibit signs of ill health, he was checked over and taken to hospital by ambulance where treatment could be administered.

These things happen.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 06-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Heir Apparent

He was carriage driving on Monday morning at Windsor before complaining of pains and then being taken to hospital.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
He was carriage driving on Monday morning at Windsor before complaining of pains and then being taken to hospital.
That fact right there may be why they're keeping him in the hospital for a couple of days. You can't keep a good man down and Philip's dislike of being mollycoddled is well known. If he's in the hospital, they can be sure of keeping him in bed and a good eye on his recovery. I bet he is chomping at the bits to be released though. For a man of nearly 91, he really is quite remarkable.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Royal Highness

Loved this little pic from today's Daily Mail:
Caption is: Prince Philip to his doctor: "First visit and all she said was: "Move Over!"

Isn't that sweet? The shoes, the handbag, the hat? Wonder why she didn't bring a corgi, too. But then, it's a hospital room...
Old 06-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
Is there anyone here who is a medical professional and knows if it is common to have such a long hospitalization for a bladder infection? I'm feeling very concerned. Perhaps it is common when a person is in his nineties?
Infections can become more problematic for the eldery. Their immune systems aren't as robust and administered treatment often requires generous time frames. As a precaution the elderly are often kept under observation so ensure their health is well restored.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 06-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen together with Prince Andrew visited Prince Phillip
BelgaPicture - Category details
Old 06-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-birthday.html
Old 06-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
I am sure there was blown heat up there, and if I am not mistaken, the top of the barge had a glass covering. These people plan for everything. They know and plan for every possible scenario. They were dry and toast. Standing behind the throne helped.

The wind and rain didn't come just from above but from an angle - dry up to a point but there were certainly cold.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Home for his birthday
Prince Philip 'back home for his birthday' - UK - News - Evening Standard
Old 06-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Loved this little pic from today's Daily Mail:
Caption is: Prince Philip to his doctor: "First visit and all she said was: "Move Over!"

Isn't that sweet? The shoes, the handbag, the hat? Wonder why she didn't bring a corgi, too. But then, it's a hospital room...
Oh that is just delightful

Best wishes to HRH for a complete & speedy recovery!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Nobility

I tired to find that picture on the Daily Mail's website but could not Where is it? Thanks!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
I tired to find that picture on the Daily Mail's website but could not Where is it? Thanks!
You can find it in this article.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Nobility

Thank you!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Love that cartoon and I'm so glad that he'll be home for his birthday.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
Is there anyone here who is a medical professional and knows if it is common to have such a long hospitalization for a bladder infection? I'm feeling very concerned. Perhaps it is common when a person is in his nineties?
I'm not a medical professional, but I know from experience that such infections can recur if they aren't treated promptly. An acquaintance of mine had a father who was hospitalized and developed a recurring UTI. He was set to be discharged numerous times, and each time his infection came back. Then when he finally came home, he started showing symptoms of an infection within two weeks because he refused take his fluids.

Hopefully Philip won't be as ornery and lets his wife and kids fuss over his health when he gets home.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
I'm not a medical professional, but I know from experience that such infections can recur if they aren't treated promptly. An acquaintance of mine had a father who was hospitalized and developed a recurring UTI. He was set to be discharged numerous times, and each time his infection came back. Then when he finally came home, he started showing symptoms of an infection within two weeks because he take his fluids.

Hopefully Philip won't be as ornery and lets his wife and kids fuss over his health when he gets home.
Thank you for the info. I'm glad they're taking precautions and I agree - I hope he follows orders once he's home.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Infections can become more problematic for the eldery. Their immune systems aren't as robust and administered treatment often requires generous time frames. As a precaution the elderly are often kept under observation so ensure their health is well restored.
Oh wow! I didn't know that. Thank you for the info.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Nobility

Having had a sever urinary tract infection while in the process of flying home from a third world country. It starts as minor flu symptoms. Body aches, fever,etc. it comes on very quickly and becomes excruciating. When I got home, and straight to a dr from customs, I was given very strong antibiotics and was told no extreme changes in two days, I was going to be put in the hospital because the next strongest antibiotics were IV only. I was 23, not 91. This could all be exactly what we are being told. It gets into his blood stream, and there could be big problems, at any age.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Commoner

I expect that the main reason he was hopitalised was that the antibiotics had to be administered intravenously. Sounds like he is progressing well and will be home soon. I wish him all the best.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:56 PM

I think this shows the absolute dedication of the Duke to his wife and his country. He must have felt rough on the day of the pageant though you'd never know it by his smile and his remarkable effort. Still boggles the mind why they'd think it was a good idea to put a (nearly) 91 year old man on a boat in the pouring rain and wind but there we are. I hope HRH gets better very very soon.