The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Prince Philip finally discharged from hospital after five-day treatment for bladder infection | Mail Online

Old 08-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Aristocracy

Wonderful news!

Old 08-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

So glad to hear that the Duke of Edinburgh is out of the hospital, it looks like he's feeling better which is just wonderful.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Courtier

Wonderful news!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Gentry

This is the best news today!
Rest Well, Prince Philip :)
Old 08-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Serene Highness

He looks much better than he did the first time. Im glad he will be back with his family and lets hope that he stays well for a while.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Serene Highness

I wonder if he is going to take the advice of taking it easy. He is stubborn afterall. Maybe HM will put her foot down and make him do what he has been told. :)
Old 08-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Courtier

I think it benefits all that they are on holiday now and not in the midst of all of the jubilee activity.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Courtier

I hope he stays healthy, at least until after their wedding anniversary in Nov. I would hate to see him in hospital for that. HM has a right to be concerned about Phillips slow deteriation. I am at an age where we have been to 30 funerals in the last year and it never gets any easier. I haven't found a way to make it easier, so the flow of life and death will continue.My husbands brother was married 65 years last Nov.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Surely the obvious male companion for HM, should she need one, is Andrew. He's single and no longer a special representative for trade so will be in the UK much more. His schedule could likely be amended without too much difficulty to allow him to accompany his mother when/if necessary.

Sounds logical to us but he is too low in the pecking order - only being 4th in line of succession. It would send the wrong message to the world about his importance - remember that The Queen had to give Philip the precedence in order for him to accompany her (just as Victoria had to do with Albert).
Old 08-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
I wonder if he is going to take the advice of taking it easy. He is stubborn afterall. Maybe HM will put her foot down and make him do what he has been told. :)

Or maybe she'll plant that foot somewhere else in order to get him to follow doctor's orders
Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

He, I, believe, has an organic problem, she can put her foot anywhere it will not cure it.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Majesty

What wonderful news! I'm delighted to hear that His Highness is out of the hospital, and can return to Balmoral for some relaxation and quality time with his family.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Majesty

And Philip being Philip is taking it easy - only one engagement so far since coming out of hospital - receiving a number of military officers - The Duke of Edinburgh, Colonel-in-Chief, The Royal Hamilton Light Infantry (Wentworth Regiment of Canada), this afternoon received Colonel Timothy Hogarth (Honorary Colonel), Lieutenant Colonel Peter Young (Honorary Lieutenant Colonel), Lieutenant Colonel Daniel Stepaniuk (Commanding Officer), Major Gary McQueen (Deputy Commanding Officer), Major Robert Tremblay (Officer Commanding A Company) and Chief Warrant Officer Brian Robinson (Regimental Sergeant Major). From the CC for the 21st August.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

its a sit down, tea/coffee and a chat. Enough to keep the brain alert, interesting but not too tiring as they visited him

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Majesty

Yes but it was still an engagement which meant the preparations and formal side of events as well. This type of engagement actually makes up quite a high percentage of royal engagements.

He would have needed to read up on these people and the lastest activities of the unit. He would have had to get into formal clothes - whether a suit or uniform. He would have had to stand while there were formally introduced. All things that for a man who has just been released from hospital and told to take it easy, or so we have been lead to believe, especially at 91, would not find restful.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I imagine wearing a suit isn't that uncomfortable for a guy that wears them everyday, reading up on these men is easily done whilst resting in bed. I also imagine that the visitors took into account Prince Philips illness and he greeted them sat down.

He needs to be active so as not to go crazy in his own mind, resting 24/7 would be so boring.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Nobility

Dan Stepaniuk used to be the Latin teacher at my high school (Westdale Secondary in Hamilton) and he always led the Remembrance Day services in his military uniform. He even went to Haiti one semester. After I graduated, he became the vice principal at our city's self-paced high school. I never knew he was a member of the Rileys though!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
Does leading a grouse hunt qualify as taking it easy?
Prince Philip will not slow down as he refuses to alter his busy schedule - Celebrity News - Showbiz - Evening Standard