Prince Philip Hospitalised Due to Bladder Infection: August 15-20, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Based on one of the articles that were posted, Philip's attitude and work ethic make perfect sense; he wants to make sure that what happened to him will not happen to his wife, children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildrenn, which is only natural. He's very much like my grandfather; hates being idle and believes that every minute of every day needs to be taken up by 'useful activity'. The Duke loves his work, and may perhaps feel that slowing down is not an option, but I also hope that he understands his limitations and will take whatever advice the doctors will offer. It will serve him well in the long run.

If the family aren't visiting him that is only a good sign.

Iluvbertie said:
If the family aren't visiting him that is only a good sign.

I'm not sure about that. what do you mean. I guess different families handle things different ways. Plus I don't always trust the reports in the Daily Mail. Some family members may have seen him via a private entrance.

I'm not sure about that. what do you mean. I guess different families handle things different ways. Plus I don't always trust the reports in the Daily Mail. Some family members may have seen him via a private entrance.

All UK news outlets have reported since Thursday that the Duke hasn't been allowed to see any family members so he can fully rest.

Lumutqueen said:
All UK news outlets have reported since Thursday that the Duke hasn't been allowed to see any family members so he can fully rest.

Thanks for the update

First off the royals rarely visit people in hospital due to the disruption they would cause with security etc.

Secondly - if he was at death's door his family would be gathering at the hospital to be with him.

That they aren't visiting to me says that he is recovering and resting and will be back with them soon enough that they don't need to drop what they are doing to rush to be by his side.

Completely agree about family not visiting, its a sign they are confident he's going to be fine again soon. I think we've been spoilt by the royals visiting him on last two occasions he was taken to hospital but the circumstances were different on those occasions. The first was at christmas and understandably the family wanted to visit him Christmas day, the second time was in middle of jubilee weekend and again understandable family would want to visit him to make him part of the occasion. This time he was due to be resting at balmoral anyway so now he is simply resting in hospital.
I would be much more worried if he was getting family visiting him especially if they were travelling up to scotland to see him.

Last edited:
especially if they were travelling up to scotland to see him.

AFAIK most of the family are in Scotland either at Balmoral or Birkhall currently. William and Catherine should be up their now with Charles and Camilla I believe.

AFAIK most of the family are in Scotland either at Balmoral or Birkhall currently. William and Catherine should be up their now with Charles and Camilla I believe.

Good point it is the scotland time of year for the family. Still if the york girls, Harry or the phillips started to turn up I'd be worried.to be honest it panicked be a bit when we saw the Queen visiting phillip over the jubilee weekend, if it wasn't for everyone saying he was getting better I'd have though something was seriously wrong.

I can understand the "no visiting means he's well" thing, but for me having gone through an ill grandfather situation, not being able to see him would have hurt me. If Harry, Zara, Peter or any other family member whether in Scotland or not chose to visit him I'd see no issue with that, they're visiting their ill grandfather. Would it make a difference if he was ill at Balmoral instead of a hospital? For me, no.

Not putting a 'dampner' on the situation but if Philip turned quickly and this turned out to be a worse situation than imagined and people have not got to see their father/grandfather they'd feel pretty terrible.

He is too ill for visitors but not ill enough that the family is gathering and hovering.

Doctors have advised he have no visitors so he can fully rest, probably because if he has contact with his family something will worry him and he may deteriorate. This is not the first time Prince Philip has been in hospital and not received visitors. I wouldn't be surprised if he suggested it to the doctors, he is a 'no fuss' guy.

Well I think it is a good idea he not have visitors. He doesnt need to ne concerned with anything that is going on outside. He needs to just relax, read a book or watch the tele. Complete rest is good for the body. I think the family is fully capable of handling anything that comes up. I wish him a speedy recovery and good health.

The Duke probably finds it uncomfortable to greet visitors, even family, feeling poorly, attached to equipment and lying in bed.

You may be right, as rest doesn't cure baldder infections.

Heart. A bit more complicated.

The Duke probably finds it uncomfortable to greet visitors, even family, feeling poorly, attached to equipment and lying in bed.

Basing my thought on what I've read about His Highness and his distaste for fuss, having no visitors is a good thing. He's probably a little annoyed with all the medical personnel that is hovering over him. He probably won't want his wife, kids, grandkids being there too.

Basing my thought on what I've read about His Highness and his distaste for fuss, having no visitors is a good thing. He's probably a little annoyed with all the medical personnel that is hovering over him. He probably won't want his wife, kids, grandkids being there too.

probably both of you are right....:flowers:

hopping the best for him:rose2:

And not visiting, doesn't mean that they do not have contact with him. I'm sure that several telephone-calls are made dayly.

SLV said:
And not visiting, doesn't mean that they do not have contact with him. I'm sure that several telephone-calls are made dayly.

That's a good point

Four days in the hospital for "bladder infection" by someone supposedly under close doctors observation from the other very recent "bladder infection" does not make sense. I don't believe we are getting close to the whole story from the court.

Four days in the hospital for "bladder infection" by someone supposedly under close doctors observation from the other very recent "bladder infection" does not make sense. I don't believe we are getting close to the whole story from the court.

I have a feeling they have no intention of telling us exactly what's going on because of privacy.

Exactly so.

If the heart is involved - the 'no visitors' is an attempt to keep stimulation to a minimum. If Philip is the controller people are saying he will need to be forced into quiet. I interpret the 'must keep active' and 'no one can tell him what to do' as describing someone who needs to control and can possibly get over-wrought. Older people can lose perspective and become insistent - like with car keys "Yes I can still drive. Yes I am still a good driver" - when the truth is quite the opposite.

As the saying goes, as we get older we don't really change we just become 'more so'.

In the end, I really doubt the public is being given the full story at this point. Outside of privacy issues, I think this is the way the British Royal Family has handled these things in the past, not so?

Anyway, hospitals have protocols for dealing with high-visibility patients. I suspect the statement that there will be no visits is code to the press to stay clear - nothing to do with whether there really are visitors. There may be confusion, that the hub-bub of press would stimulate further in Philip. He may be drifting in-and-out of competence. He may need seclusion from infection. He may be sleeping. The possibilities are endless. One thing is clear - it is far more than what is being said, and from here-on-out always will be. He needs his privacy, as does the family.

Last edited:
Ultimately this is a family situation, it's private. If there is a bigger problem than a bladder infection, we might be told, we might not. It's entirely up to them. All we can do is wish him well.

If it was really serious we'd have some inkling of it by now. They wouldn't put out the "it's just a precaution" message if they feared something worse. This isn't Communist Russia

I feel so badly for the Queen. This must be absolute hell for her, having to watch her husband slowly yet surely slipping away and there is absolutely nothing she can do about it.

This is what, the third time in 6 months now that Prince Philip has been hospitalized? First his heart surgery and now two bouts of bladder infection. At age 91 that is simply not a good thing.

I certainly wish him a quick & thorough recovery from his present illness. But I'm afraid we are going to see more of this in the coming months rather than less especially if he refuses to slow down.

:sad:

You know, now that I think about it more, Im leaning towards what some of you have been saying about how it could be a bit more serious than what is being said. I know that the family expects privacy and that it is a personal family matter but I tend to think there just might be something a little more serious going on other than a bladder thing. Of course not being a doctor I am only assuming but my gut is saying there is more to it. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Of course in the elderly bladder infections do take a lot longer to clear than they do in younger people.

I have friends in their 90s who have been in hospital for a couple of weeks at times with bladder infections and then have come home and lived for a number more years - one lady is now 97 and spends, on average, about 6 weeks a year in hospital annually with bladder infections that she picks up.

As for the no visitor thing - it doesn't surprise me. I know when my mother was in hospital she loved seeing us but only for about 10 minutes at a time and then she would ask us to leave and come back later in the day, although she liked us to be there when she was having lunch or dinner so that we could help her as otherwise she struggled with the food but other than about 30 minutes twice a day basically we were asked by her, and the doctors to stay away to allow her to rest - except for the last day when Dad stayed with her all day.

Last edited:
Of course in the elderly bladder infections do take a lot longer to clear than they do in younger people.

There is also the matter of the 'logistics' for a man with such an infection. He may be 'fine' but the circumstances are - after all - embarrassing. I'd wave off the visitors, too.

Back
Top Bottom