The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with the comments about the Queen aging a lot this year. I feel that when Philip dies, Elizabeth will follow soon after. It sounds awful to say but he is a huge supporrt to her and to see him go will probably be extremely hard on her.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Nobility

Very sad to hear he's in hospital. These are definitely the kind of things that start to happen more frequently as one gets older, as has been mentioned. However, I do hope these are relatively minor things he's dealing with at the moment.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554
I just woke up to this ugh I cannot believe this is happening one day before I leave for Vegas. I really hope it's nothing serious and I hope the Duke recovers quickly. Can't imagine the strain the Queen must be other as well as the other members of the family.
My heart really goes out to Her Majesty. It's never easy to watch a loved one suffer. You can see that this past year has taken its' toll on both of them.

Quote:
Finally some news
Just saw this on my twitter page.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Nobility

Well this isn't the way Anne would've liked to start her 63rd year, hearing that her father's ill!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post

Just saw this on my twitter page.
I think I nearly died waiting for news on my twitter page. Not a good start to my day!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

The news is reporting Charles, Camilla, Edward and Sophie were all there when he was taken ill. Andrew and the girls must have left as they were there on Sunday.

I hope a good does of antibiotics is all it will take to bring him back to health.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Commoner

It is quite worrying how frequent these hospital visits have been over the past year but as others have said the Duke has recently turned 91 and at his age these increased amounts of visits have to be expected.

I'd like to think that now HRH will dramatically reduce the amount of engagements he takes on. Although I think he would probably be greatly against that idea.

Get well soon Sir.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Commoner

Have they said why the Duke was admitted to hospital ?
Old 08-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Sofia fan View Post
Have they said why the Duke was admitted to hospital ?
Recurrence of a bladder infection as per the BBC

BBC News - Prince Philip back in hospital 'as a precaution'
Old 08-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I think I nearly died waiting for news on my twitter page. Not a good start to my day!
I think my jaw hit the floor when I saw this thread. I almost expressed my surprise vocally, which would not have been good in a crowded book store. Not a good start to a day, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101
The news is reporting Charles, Camilla, Edward and Sophie were all there when he was taken ill. Andrew and the girls must have left as they were there on Sunday.

I hope a good does of antibiotics is all it will take to bring him back to health.
I'm glad that Her Majesty is not alone. She needs all the family support that she can get right now.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Nobility

Consider the timing, 3 days after the Olympics and on his daughter's birthday!
Old 08-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Heir Apparent

It may be a coincidence but the two infections have followed HRH spending time outside on a boat. jubilee pageant and Cowes Week. I live near the Isle of Wight (where Cowes is situated) and its been cold and damp.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
The reality is is that these hosptial visits are going to become more and more frequent until the Duke passes. It's unavoidable.
He has been on a sure and certain decline since last year - and definitely since his first collapse at Christmas. It's just a matter of time.

He has had a pattern this year - after sustained exertion, he has a collapse. He doesn't just need to reduce public outings, he needs to cease doing them altogether.

Quote:
I should hope the Duke returns to Balmoral very soon, and is able to enjoy the remainder of his time there.
I suspect that decisions have been made as to care and we are in for the 'long wait'.

I would not take at face value 'reasons' given for actions taken at this point. I think it's more about privacy now than the public 'needing to know'.

Quote:
And what's more is that when looking at photo's of the Queen over this past year, she appears to have aged quicker than I have ever noticed before.
From all I have seen - especially from a video clip I saw of the Queen walking at the Opening Ceremonies - the Queen may be in a condition where it would be a kindness to allow her to withdraw from public life. Older people reach a stage where they need to focus on themselves and what lies ahead for them - and I think she will want to be with Philip now. I think she's earned a respite. I don't understand the public's 'need' to have royals 'work' in the face of old age and declining health. Seems unkind somehow.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Serene Highness

Oh no. I hope he will be o.k. I know it is just a matter of time before his journey is done but I truly hope he is given a little more time. Im not quite ready for anything more. :(
Old 08-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal #royal #philip While Prince Philip may be discharged after a few days (approx 5) he'll be told by docs to take it easy for 2 wks or more
Good to hear here won't be there too long.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Royal Highness

This is such sad news, I hope for a quick recovery for the DoE.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

He's got a bladder infection. He is not seriously ill. Some of these posts are really depressing and I'd rather take a positive outlook that he went into lhospital early. He has no engagements booked until October. He has time to recover.

As for the idea that the Queen will, in effect, retire - IMO No way. She will continue to work till she drops or it is physically impossible.

That applies to both of them, it's why we love them and wouldn't have it any other way.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-15-2012, 03:28 PM

The Duke really has to learn to take things slower IMO. I know retirement is a dirty word to the Windsors but HRH has earned it. He's the father of our nation, nobody would criticise if he took a month or two off that wasn't forced by accident or illness!
Old 08-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Gentry

This is very sad news. Here's to a full recovery for the Duke and hopefully he'll take it easy in the coming weeks/months.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Nobility

Wishing a quick recovery to His Royal Highness; and respectful and sincere good wishes to the Queen and their family.