The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you, same to you. I've got to run and get dressed for my own Christmas festivities or I'll be extremely late! Merry Christmas to all.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Live from Sky News: Prince Philip's grandchildren are visiting him.

Sky News: Royal Grandchildren Visit Philip In Hospital

Royal Family Visit The Duke Of Edinburgh In Hospital

Old 12-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Majesty

Pictures from Ghetty. I see William was wearing his spectacles. Glad to know that Prince Philip wasn't alone on Christmas Day.

Getty Images - Search: GBR: Royal Family Visit The Duke Of Edinburgh In Hospital

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It's nice that they drove each other.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Aristocracy

so glad for philip that his grandchildren came and visited him too!
Old 12-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Serene Highness

Nothing is more important than being with family - especially the older folks - on Christmas! Philip is a very lucky man.

Merry Christmas to all of you here on the Royal Forums as well!
Old 12-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Courtier

Please treat this with appropriate caution, but the word in my circle is that Prince Philip actually suffered a mild heart attack whilst at Sandringham. Obviously we must await a formal announcement from Buckingham Palace [if they choose to provide details] but I thought that I would mention this here in case it is of interest.

Alex
Old 12-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Majesty

There have been reports in the media that he was having a heart attack - from a leading heart consultant at Imperial College London.

Prince Philip 'likely to have had heart attack' - Telegraph

Duke of Edinburgh treated for a blocked coronary artery | Mail Online

Dr Iqbal Malik, a consultant at Imperial College London, told The Telegraph: 'It seems that he probably was having a heart attack that Papworth have successfully aborted.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Serene Highness

Thank goodness for the prompt action. I'm glad it was mild. I'm glad they're sharing information with all of us.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

All heart attacks are very serious. Mild is a euphemistic attempt at degree.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Serene Highness

Well, some heart attacks are instantly fatal, and some lead to immediate congestive heart failure, and I think those are a bit more serious than ones that can be helped by a stent.

Here in the U.S., anyway, there is a definite scale from mild to fatal; a mild heart attack usually means the enzymes from heart damage show up in the blood but the ECG is back to normal by the time it's taken. Such a heart attack used to go undetected via ECG, but now blood work reveals them. In the case of some of my relatives, no heart damage could be detected via any sort of imaging, but heart cells were damaged and that damage showed up in the bloodwork (has to be done within a day or two IIRC). That's what's termed a "mild" heart attack here, anyway.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Majesty

A short little note from 'The Daily Mail'. The quote from Her Majesty's speech that she gave on her and Duke's Golden Wedding anniversary brought tears to my eyes. They share a love and bond that so many want to find and so few are able to succeed. I hope His Highness gets well soon and returns to his home and family.

Prince Philip health scare: The debt we owe the no-nonsense Duke | Mail Online

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing I am really happy about with all of this is the timing. Of course it was a sad loss to the family not to have Philip home on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, it did happen at a time when he does go back to Sandringham, he will be fully able to rest and recoup and not have to worry about engagements. Also, reading in another thread, it really looks like 2012 will be an extremely busy one for HM and the DoE and the fact that they've found and fixed the problem now may have prevented a worse scare during 2012.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:54 AM
Courtier

Our ABC news here has reported that Prince Philip had a blocked artery and has had a stent put in to open the artery. "
Very common practise here. He will need blood thinning tablets for the rest of his life but should make a complete recovery as long as THEY DON'T ALLOW THE PATIENT OUT TOO SOON. My capitals. So all in all he should be okay. At 90, he will need to listen to his body more and know his limitations. Take it easy Dear Sir, we don't wish to lose you yet. When he is feeling better he can have a celebratory dinner with his family at home. I'm sure they may arrange something like that for him. And that would be good medicine for him, to have his family around.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:17 AM
Majesty

The only problem with that idea is that it is very hard to get all 29 of them together at the same time.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:27 AM
Serene Highness

I just heard of this and am glad to hear he has recovered and is doing well! :)
Old 12-26-2011, 03:59 AM
Majesty

BBC News - Duke of Edinburgh spends another night in hospital
Old 12-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Serene Highness

I'm glad that he's on the mend.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Heir Apparent

I wouldn't be surprised if Prince Philip, in his usual customary blunt manner, is making his opinions loud and clear about staying in the hospital, but it's definitely to his benefit that he is. It's always post-op that can be the most dangerous time, not necessarily the procedure itself, and this period of observation and recuperation is worth his missing the Christmas festivities to ensure that he fully recovers. The fact that he may have had a heart attack also adds to the seriousness of the event. I'm glad he's coming along in his recovery and time enough for additional R&R at Sandringham when he's deemed well enough to be released.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Courtier

This looks so silly and sentimental when it is written down, but I hope that I can share my thoughts with fellow royal watchers who will see what I mean. I do not deny that the Queen and the BRF have wonderful help and service from many devoted staff, but even so, I do so worry about the Queen and Prince Philip. Whilst it is a different type of work from that which we all do, nevertheless it is tiring and particularly so for a couple who in effect are quite an elderly couple. Sometimes I think that some of us forget just how old the Queen and Prince Philip are. I certainly do. [Part of this, I think, is due to the fact that as the Queen Mother lived to such a great age, it made the Queen look somewhat 'younger' than she really was, because most of us do not have mothers who survive well past our own pensionable age. The fact that the Queen Mother was still alive made the Queen appear to be late-middle-aged herself, a fact visually reinforced by the fact that Her Majesty's style never really changes that much over the years - she has always dressed in the same sort of 'non-high fashion style' for years and year, which makes her look reassuringly 'almost the same' over the years.

I was talking to a neighbour after Church recently amd the conversation turned to the sad and recent passing [in his sleep] of a distinguished military neighbour, and the gist of the conversation was that the Brigadier had lived a full and long life and had reached 'the ripe old age of 84', which we all thought was 'a good old age'. And then I thought about this conversation later that evening and remembered that the Queen was still working a very full programme at 85 and ditto the Duke at 90.....

Really, Prince Philip has so far made few concessions to old age. It was announced that he had relinquished around a dozen [hardly a lot!!] of patronages on his 90th birthday, but even so that still leaves DOZENS more and many of these involve visits 'away from London' etc. About the only other thing he has cancelled recently was his trip to Italy for an animal charity event [from memory] where Princess Michael deputised for him.....Obviously you can't wrap the Duke in cotton wool and I am sure he wouldn't want that to happen, but I so want to say 'slow down, take care of yourself' etc etc.

I am sure Baroness of Brooks is quite right about Philip impatiently wanting to get up and get going again etc but to me - and whilst I certainly do not want to suggest that his doctors are worried about him etc etc - the fact that he is still remaning in hospital brings it home to me that he has got to take it slowly etc etc and be careful for a little while. As he is a member of the BRF, he could be discharged a good more easily than some 90 year olds - I mean, there is no concern about how he could take care of himself back at home etc - nurses, doctors etc etc could easily be made available back at Sandringham for his convalesence if feasible. The fact that he remains at Papworth is, to me, confirmation that he has had to contend with a reasonably serious cardiac situation if you see what I mean.....

[side note: I am lucky and privileged enough to have an invitation to am annual cocktail party hosted by the Duke at Windsor in February. It's a hightlight of my year. Now, I just wish they would cancel it and let the Duke have an evening off, if you see what I mean]