The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I'm sure he will feel more chipper after this procedure and I'm very glad it turned out well. He just has to recuperate in the hospital for whatever time the doctors feel it necessary and the RF will have to come visit him. On the plus side, think of all the patients who'll get an unexpected treat if they see any member of the RF in the corridor!
That may be a Christmas treat for some patients indeed. I can imagine it'll make the stay in the hospital just a little bit brighter.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:44 AM
Nobility

Glad that the procedure went well. Looking forward to seeing him up and about again soon.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
victoriaarbiter Victoria Arbiter

#PrincePhilip was flown to hospital by colleagues of #PrinceHarry from RAF Wattisham in Suffolk in a search & rescue Sea King helicopter.
That's interesting to hear!
Old 12-24-2011, 01:15 AM
Aristocracy

May God Bless the Duke as his body heals. May we always know that he is indeed a man before he is Duke, Husband, and father and let's wish him a speedy recovery.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:23 AM
Aristocracy

Would just like to add my prayers for a full recovery for the Duke and for peace for the Queen.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Indeed, but in my mind it raises the issues that if he was in a great deal of distress to be flown to Papworth. They must have weighed the potential risks of taking him a greater distance than to the significantly sized and equipped hospital minutes away. Staff from Papworth could have been transported to Queen Elizabeth rather than Philip to them.
It's not moving staff - it's all the highly technical equipment, drugs etc that is hard to transport. A few minutes in a helicopter to reach a major centre of excellence, rather than a bumpy ride in an ambulance to the local hospital is the obvious best choice.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
This could have ended very differently had immediate action not been taken. Naturally the best care is accorded and on hand to the royal family but had Philip not recieved such treatment he may very well have suffered a deadly heart attack or even a stroke had the blockage moved.
I'd like to say that in the UK I believe "the best care is accorded and on hand" to everyone. When my husband got to hospital during a heart attack they began his immediate treatment even as the took his personal details. They saved his life very efficiently and he's still fine 5 years later. Despite all that the press say about it, thank God for our health system in the UK, where the level of care and treatment does not depend on bank balance, or insurance.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

SkyNewsRoyal Paul Harrison

#royal #Duke of Edinburgh - Some speculation the Queen popped in to see DoE during the night as well as Countess of Wessex - unconfirmed

#royal #Duke of Edinburgh - Wondering whether Prince Philip will receive visitors today - Prine Harry? Duke and Duchess of Cambr?

#royal #Duke of Edinburgh remains in hospital this morning - waiting for this morning's update on how his night was - will he depart today?
Hmm wonder what the doctors will say
Old 12-24-2011, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Duke of Edinburgh taken to hospital with chest pains and treated for a blocked coronary artery

...Sources said it was unlikely that members of the Royal Family would be visiting him in the coming hours but confirmed that his wife and children were being kept updated on his condition back at the Queen’s private Norfolk estate, where they are gathered for Christmas.
Although it may be viewed by some as uncaring, this is normal procedure within the Royal Family – and the Duke would have it no other way.
When he was in hospital for four days with a chest infection in 2008 he refused to receive any visitors and spent his time catching up on his paperwork...

Read more: Duke of Edinburgh treated for a blocked coronary artery | Mail Online

Old 12-24-2011, 03:52 AM
Heir Apparent

It's late here so here's the last bit of info from me for now.
Quote:

#royal this might suggest that Prince Philip may not come out of hospital today if his family is going to him..

2 minutes ago

#royal buckingham Palace says that the Duke of Edinburgh has had "a good night" and confirm he'll be visited by family later this morning
Old 12-24-2011, 04:00 AM
Royal Highness

My mother is 87 and had the same thing (chest pain, first checks at the local doctor, then immediate transport to a cardiac clinic for tests and then the removal of the blockage and and a stent as Op) just two weeks ago. She was in hospital for more than a week. What a scare that was for us! My heart goes out to HM because this is a very serious condition, but once you made through the Op and recovery goes well, then you have about another year at that age without any bothers.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator

Duke of Edinburgh has 'a good night' after surgery - Home News - UK - The Independent

"The Duke of Edinburgh has had a good night" following his treatment for a blocked coronary artery last night, Buckingham Palace said today.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:03 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Duke had a good night apparently, and members of the royal family will visit him this morning it is unknown if they Queen will visit. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are travelling to Sandringham today, it is presumed they will detour to Papworth.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:17 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Sad news! My uncle and my neighbor had the same treatment a few years ago. My uncle is around 60 and recovered very well, my neighbor, around 70, is still having problems. Well, let's be frank - Prince Philip is 90 and still very very active at an age were many people are retired. Bad things can happen any day now, although he always appears remarkably fit. My great aunt is the same age and has always been very active and fit, but during the last months it went downhill rather quickly with her...

However, I wish a speedy & full recovery for the DoE and that he may enjoy many more healthy and happy years with his family!

PS: all the best for your mother too, Kataryn!
Old 12-24-2011, 05:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post

PS: all the best for your mother too, Kataryn!
Thank you very much for your kind wishes!
Old 12-24-2011, 06:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen has just arrived by helicopter to visit Prince Philip. Wouldn't appear to be any other family members with her.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

I am glad the Queen has arrived to see him. No doubt others will follow, but perhaps go more privately.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Philip Suffers Chest Pains, Taken To Hospital From Sandringham, Treated For Blocked Artery | UK News | Sky News
The Queen has arrived at a Cambridgeshire hospital to visit the Duke of Edinburgh, after he was treated for a blocked coronary artery.
The Monarch arrived by helicopter near Papworth Hospital shortly before 11am and then ferried by vehicle, accompanied by security personnel.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

The Queen arrives at Papworth Hospital to visit the Duke of Edinburgh after emergency surgery to treat blocked coronary artery

Dailymail.co.uk article
Old 12-24-2011, 07:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

The BBC is saying the Prince of Wales and Earl of Wessex have joined the Queen at Papworth.