The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

A heart surgeon on Sky News just said a 'blocked coronary artery' is basically a heart attack. It can vary in severity and we assume that for Prince Philip they have managed to deal with it quite quickly.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
In all respects, the man is in excellent physical form for one of his age.
And that's why he came through the surgery so well, but now they'll have to keep a close eye on him post-op.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

The text of the statement:

"Following tests at Papworth Cardiothoracic Hospital in Cambridge this evening, The Duke of Edinburgh was found to have a blocked coronary artery which had caused his chest pains. This was treated successfully by the minimally invasive procedure of coronary stenting. Prince Philip will remain in hospital under observation for a short period."
Old 12-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Aristocracy

It's early and not all the information is known. And I agree that medical information should be private for anyone who wants it to be private, even for the BRF. That said, a coronary artery blockage can cause a heart attack and can be treated with a stent. Stents, BTW, work very well! I have not seen any reports confirming or denying a heart attack. I wish the DoE a fast recovery and many more years of good health.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Am I the only one who can imagine Prince Philip to be an awfully difficult patient? I mean that in a nice way in the sense that he "wouldn't want a fuss". :) In my job, a midwife, I do come across difficult patients but I can't imagine to be anything like Philip! (That, and the fact that my patients are female, but you know what I mean!)
Old 12-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

You know that if he kicks up a fuss, he's recovering!!
Old 12-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books
Ha ha ha, yes, that would be a vey good sign for the DoE!
Old 12-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have just seen the clip of Philip leading the little girl to the Queen in Australia who wanted to give her a flower. That was hilarious.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am happy he was treated on time, very likeable man IMO....
Old 12-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Won't be surprised if he got a little feisty. But, high spirits are a sign of improvement, so a little feistiness in this case would be welcomed.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:37 PM
Courtier

The procedure he underwent is referred to as an Angioplasty. A "balloon" stent is inserted through a vein in the thigh and goes up into the closed artery and "opens" it. Patients usually require 12-24 hour hospital stays. How do I know this? My sister is a doctor and my father has had this procedure twice.

Prince Philip will be fine enough to enjoy Christmas dinner with his family ... Although I would be surprised to see him at Church.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
The procedure he underwent is referred to as an Angioplasty. A "balloon" stent is inserted through a vein in the thigh and goes up into the closed artery and "opens" it. Patients usually require 12-24 hour hospital stays. How do I know this? My sister is a doctor and my father has had this procedure twice.

Prince Philip will be fine enough to enjoy Christmas dinner with his family ... Although I would be surprised to see him at Church.
To be honest, I wouldn't in the least be surprised if Philip does his traditional walk to church on Christmas morning. Within hours of my husband's procedure, they wanted him up and walking about and encouraged him to do so as much as possible.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Prince Philip was treated for a blocked coronary artery and a successful "invasive procedure of coronary stenting" was performed.
This could have ended very differently had immediate action not been taken. Naturally the best care is accorded and on hand to the royal family but had Philip not recieved such treatment he may very well have suffered a deadly heart attack or even a stroke had the blockage moved.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 12-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Majesty

This was posted on my twitter.

RoyalReporter Richard Palmer
Buckingham Palace won't say how long Prince Philip is likely to be in hospital but experts predict he's unlikely to be home for Christmas.

Hopefully he'll get to see his family for at least part of the day.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Aristocracy

I wish Phillip all the best, and my thoughts are with the Family.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:12 PM

My uncle had the same procedure, it knocked him out for a while and he's a youngish man so in someone of the Duke's age, they're likely to take precautions. I get the feeling HRH would hate the fuss being made but despite that, I'll say more than a few prayers for him tonight.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Just got home and saw the news. Glad to hear they figured out what's wrong and happy the surgery went well. I wish him a speedy recovery!
Quote:
RoyalReporter Richard Palmer

Younger patients undergoing the sort of operation that Philip's had would normally stay in hospital for 2-3 days, according to doctors.
Quote:
SkyNewsRoyal Paul Harrison

#royal #diamondjubilee The big question is: Will the Duke of Edin now have to curtail his engagements as part of Diamond Jub celebrations?

SkyNewsRoyal Paul Harrison

#royal #duke There's unlikely to be another update until tomorrow or even before Prince Philip is discharged
Old 12-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Majesty

I have had a number of friends and colleagues of similar ages who have had this procedure and they have been in hospital for at least 3 - 4 days before being allowed home (one was 92 and always extremely active and was kept in hospital for the 4 days).
Old 12-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Serene Highness

If he's had a partial blockage up until now, it's possible he will feel much more energetic after this procedure (once he's over the effects of anesthesia).

I sure hope so.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm sure he will feel more chipper after this procedure and I'm very glad it turned out well. He just has to recuperate in the hospital for whatever time the doctors feel it necessary and the RF will have to come visit him. On the plus side, think of all the patients who'll get an unexpected treat if they see any member of the RF in the corridor!