Prince Philip Hospitalised Due to Bladder Infection: June 4-9, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, no! My best wishes to the Duke for a speedy recovery. I'm sure it's disappointing to him, the Queen, family and the nation that he's missing the celebrations, as he did for Christmas, and his absence will cast a pall over the festivities. But considering his health issues, every precaution must be taken. He must have been feeling extremely uncomfortable yesterday.

Last edited:
Sad to hear about DoE's health problems. :sad: I can't help thinking that yesterday's pageant must've been an ordeal for him, standing for four hours in the rain! :eek: :ohmy: I do hope he recovers soon.

Not to mention, when one has a bladder infection, one has to pee constantly. He must have been miserable.

Not to mention, when one has a bladder infection, one has to pee constantly. He must have been miserable.

I only saw the Queen and DoE enter the below deck quarters once during the pageant. Perhaps it was because of his condition, I don't know. I only remember thinking they are human after all, needing a toilet break after about two hours or so... :ermm:

I kept wondering who none of them sat during the pageant. Perhaps it was because the seats might have been cold (and the thrones reserved for them might have been wet), out of solidarity for the Duke or then simply they all felt it would be appropriate if all of them stood the entire time.

So sad. He would have deserved to take part in the jubilee engagements. It's also his "diamond jubilee".

So very sorry to hear this. I hope he'll make a speedy recovery.

According the the Buckingham Palace, the Queen, along with other members of the Royal Family, are still expected to attend all the Jubilee events, including the concert tonight.

Perhaps he had been fitted with a medical device for yesterday's festivities. So sorry to hear he is ill. Makes me jittery.

Its unfortunate but news reports say he is only being kept in for observation which seems reasonable since he will soon be 91. Better safe than sorry. I am betting that there will be an even bigger outpouring of affection for the Queen and her family tonight and tomorrow.

An easy remedy for straightforward bladder infections is to drink lots of fluids - water and cranberry juice especially. So, standing for hours on end without a drink will not have helped if the infection had already started. It's ashame that the Duke will miss tonight's concert and I really do hope he will be well enough for tomorrow's events.

Not only did he spend 4 hours standing in the rain, but he was the most energetic at waving to the crowd! I can only imagine how much of a fight he would have put up at being hospitalized during the Jubilee weekend. It only confirms how sick he must have been to have to bow out.

My grandfather is 92 this year and has had bladder infections. When you get to that age it really can be an awful nuisance.

I actually thought out of all the royals yesterday, Philip looked the happiest and the one who was enjoying it most. You could tell the Queen was flagging a bit toward the end; but I didn't get any impression that Philip was in anyway uncomfortable or struggling.

So sad that he'll miss the rest of the festivities; I'm sure the whole nation will wish him a speedy recovery. I wonder who'll ride with the Queen in the procession tomorrow?

I believe PoW will be accompanying the Queen tomorrow, that's my guess anyway.

Sadly, I have no grandparents left anymore but when I did, I learned that a bladder infection can be a tricky one to diagnose when it comes to old people. It can manifest itself with various symptoms and sometimes all that the patient can say is that he/she is feeling "uncomfortable" and may act crankily before they finally find out it is because of a bladder infection. It might just be that the DoE only started to feel unpleasant today and couldn't clearly pinpoint why and they took him for a check.

From what I just saw he will be out for the service as well. Said he will be in hospital for a few days.

Those are sad news indeed, although it's perfectly understandable with yesterdays weather and them being out for several hours, it must undoubtedly have been cold as hell. I hope the DoE will have a really quick recovery.

Catharina said:
I believe PoW will be accompanying the Queen tomorrow, that's my guess anyway.

Sadly, I have no grandparents left anymore but when I did, I learned that a bladder infection can be a tricky one to diagnose when it comes to old people. It can manifest itself with various symptoms and sometimes all that the patient can say is that he/she is feeling "uncomfortable" and may act crankily before they finally find out it is because of a bladder infection. It might just be that the DoE only started to feel unpleasant today and couldn't clearly pinpoint why and they took him for a check.

I agree Charles and Camilla with her in the coach. Not sure how the walk down the aisle in saint Paul will go i do have a idea. Charles and the queen together. Both duchesses together and then prince Harry.

I agree Charles and Camilla with her in the coach. Not sure how the walk down the aisle in saint Paul will go i do have a idea. Charles and the queen together. Both duchesses together and then prince Harry.

Wouldn't it be nice if Prince Harry accompanied her since he is the single male in the procession? :flowers:

Oh my God, so sad news! They will dark the so lovely celebration. He was so perfectly looking yesterday.
I hope everything will be fine.

Just heard this on the news,wishing the Prince well.

Wishing Philip health wishes. What unfortunate timing, i am sure he is very disappointes.

Sad news :(. Wishing to Prince Phillip a speedy recovery :flowers:

This is terrible news. Bladder infections are Much different when one is older, they can be deadly so I'm glad they have him in the hospital.

I think QEII should walk down the aisle with her four children as representatives of their father. All in-laws and grandchildren could be pre-seated.

Thankfully bladder infections can easily be cured. I think we should be glad it's not something worse. After all, he's not the youngest royal around. I hope he gets well soon.

Actually, standing in general is more comfortable with bladder infections than sitting. Have no idea why, that is just generally how it is.
Also, cranberry juice is actually not helpful with these type of infections -- it may irritate it more.
Bladder infections in the elderly are especially dangerous because they can sometimes lead to more serious infections, like kidney or such others.

Wish the Duke of Edinburgh a healthy return to the Jubilee celebrations soon :flowers:

Fortunately bladder infection's symptoms are come by very quick and easily once the diagnosis is made. But I'm glad he is able to relax now in a warm bed after yesterday's Pageant, who while it surely was pure fun for his mind must have been a terrible ordeal for his body.

I personally don't understand why they didn't erect some sort of glass pavillon for the Royals in case of bad weather? It isn't as if it never rains in Braitain in summer and today's techniques make it possible to erect such a pavillon on a moment's notice, if need be, with all necessary equipment to air and heat it underneath the floor and out of sight. I guess it would have been much more comfortable for HM and the DoE to sit on their thrones in such a pavillon instead of standing in the foggy air on the river for hours on end.
You could see from the way Camilla carefully stepped down the steps at the end that she felt it in her bones how cold and wet the day had been.

I imagine that with both the Queen and the DoE getting up there in years that there is always excellent medical staff on call for immediate consultation should it be needed. Hopefully they caught this bladder infection in its early stages. I'm just wondering how long it took Philip to actually say something was bothering him. I'd really think that yesterday's pageant was something he was very much looking forward to being an old sea dog himself. Perhaps that's why they decided to head to Windsor Castle last night after the long day.

The Queen will sorely miss her husband by her side for the remainder of the Jubilee celebrations. I think though for the processional at the Thanksgiving service, she will opt to walk alone. NO one can take Philip's place

I'm sure there was no chance that Philip was going to miss an occasion like the flotilla, no matter how miserable he was. I wonder if anyone was aware of this condition before the event, or he 'fessed up afterwards. I feel so bad for him; judging by his enjoyment of the festivities yesterday, he's probably very disappointed and most likely so aggravated that he can't make the rest of them.

And I wouldn't be surprised, either, if HM will walk in the processional solo. If she can't have Philip at her side, no one will be there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom