Prince Philip Hospitalised Due to Bladder Infection: August 15-20, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EIIR

Heir Presumptive
City
Somewhere
Country
United Kingdom
Just heard on BBC Radio 5 Live that the DoE has been taken to hospital in Aberdeen 'as a precaution'. That's all we know at this stage.

:sad:

BBC News - Prince Philip taken to hospital

Prince Philip taken to hospital

The Duke of Edinburgh has been taken to hospital as a "precautionary measure", Buckingham Palace has said.
Prince Philip, who is 91 years old, was admitted to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary while staying at Balmoral with the Queen, a palace spokeswoman said.
Further details about his condition were not given.

I don't like hearing this at all. Too many health scares for the Duke these days. I hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

Oh dear!
I hope that he will be alright.

The reality is is that these hosptial visits are going to become more and more frequent until the Duke passes. It's unavoidable.

The Duke's health is on the decline and it's evident his immune system is continuing to weaken. Both a sign of his age and the natural wear and tear on his vital organs and respiratory system.

I should hope the Duke returns to Balmoral very soon, and is able to enjoy the remainder of his time there. He does need alot of rest and it's high time he be told by his physicians in no uncertain terms that his public official engagements need be dramatically reduced and more time spent on personal recreation and leisure. Doing what makes him happy.

And what's more is that when looking at photo's of the Queen over this past year, she appears to have aged quicker than I have ever noticed before. In part, I would endeavour to suggest that she is consistently anxious about the health of her husband. In my opinion, It's more than the look of concern, it's the look of a wife fearing the prospect of what lay ahead. The mere concept of a life without Philip must leave her with a sense of great uncertainty, and understandably so after almost 65 years of marriage.

I think it's starting to hit home now, more than ever before.

Last edited:
This is sad news, hope he will be better soon.

:sad:Wow - hate to hear that the Duke has been taken to the hospital. Any time a person his age has to go, its not a good thing. Just amazing how spry he's been up to this point, though.

I hope His Highness will recover and all will be as well as can be expected. The man needs to slow down and maybe do one or two engagements per month, but I have a feeling that's not going to happen.

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope it's nothing too serious.

The level of activity he's maintained over the years has been so impressive.

We went through similar things with my father in the last year of his life. Angina, pneumonia, dizzy spells, frequent trips to the hospital for check ups. He had always been very active up to age 90, long walks, weekly golf rounds, riding out on the farms, swimming, but at 91 things went down hill quickly and no matter how often he was told to just take it easy he wasnt having any of it right up to his last trip to the hospital. He had a great 91 years and 65 years of marriage but was definitely a no fuss kind of guy. When he passed my mother who had always been very active and had had her own successful career seemed lost without him. The hiusekeeper told us she heard my mother praying to God not to wake up and 3 months later that is what happened. She just didn't want to carry on without him which her doctor told us was very common for older people who had been married so long.

Just saw this on the BBC News,hope the Prince will be ok!

It's a very sad news,hoping he'll be better soon.But unfortunately , different health problems often occur to old people.

When the hospital admissions start to increase in frequency with elderly people, I worry that it's just not a good sign. Until this year, the DoE had had years between hospital visits, so to have 3 in the space of 8 months is worrying.

It's very difficult for men who are used to being active all the time to suddenly slow down. My Granda's 92, and pretty much housebound, but it doesn't stop him trying to go out into his garden with his zimmerframe. He's unable to admit that it's just not realistic anymore, no matter how often his family, doctor, nurses etc. tell him.

EIIR said:
When the hospital admissions start to increase in frequency with elderly people, I worry that it's just not a good sign. Until this year, the DoE had had years between hospital visits, so to have 3 in the space of 8 months is worrying.

It's very difficult for men who are used to being active all the time to suddenly slow down. My Granda's 92, and pretty much housebound, but it doesn't stop him trying to go out into his garden with his zimmerframe. He's unable to admit that it's just not realistic anymore, no matter how often his family, doctor, nurses etc. tell him.

You make valid point. My Godmother is around Her Majesty's age, and until last year, was leading a very independent life. She hated when anyone made a fuss over her, and refused to give up her freedom. Then, a little over a year ago, she fell, and all went downhill. She's been hospitalized again, and now, even though she's back home, the quality of her life is not the same. She has a home attendant, which makes her feel almost inadequate, because she's so used to doing for herself, and not needing help with her daily tasks.

Just arrived back in England and heard the news. These hospital visits are becoming very frequent, its very sad but they are to be expected. I hope its nothing serious and wish HRH all the best.

My heart dropped when I saw this. Nevertheless, it is not unexpected at this age, and I am starting to see this with the elderly in my own life. It's a fact of life but still horrible for everyone involved.

I think both the DoE and the Queen need to reduce their schedules dramatically. There's plenty of other royals around to take up the slack. I know two very active and remarkably healthy octogenarians and there's no way they can keep up the same pace.

I just woke up to this ugh I cannot believe this is happening one day before I leave for Vegas. I really hope it's nothing serious and I hope the Duke recovers quickly. Can't imagine the strain the Queen must be other as well as the other members of the family.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter Buckingham Palace says Prince Philip has suffered a recurrence of the bladder infection that laid him low in June.
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter Prince Philip is likely to remain in hospital over the next few days after suffering a recurrence of a bladder infection, the palace says.
Finally some news

https://twitter.com/MaxFosterCNN
Max Foster ‏@MaxFosterCNN Pr Philip had a recurrence of the bladder infection that he had in the summer and is in hospital for "investigation and treatment"

I agree with the comments about the Queen aging a lot this year. I feel that when Philip dies, Elizabeth will follow soon after. It sounds awful to say but he is a huge supporrt to her and to see him go will probably be extremely hard on her.

Very sad to hear he's in hospital. These are definitely the kind of things that start to happen more frequently as one gets older, as has been mentioned. However, I do hope these are relatively minor things he's dealing with at the moment.

ghost_night554 said:
I just woke up to this ugh I cannot believe this is happening one day before I leave for Vegas. I really hope it's nothing serious and I hope the Duke recovers quickly. Can't imagine the strain the Queen must be other as well as the other members of the family.

My heart really goes out to Her Majesty. It's never easy to watch a loved one suffer. You can see that this past year has taken its' toll on both of them.

ghost_night554 said:
Finally some news

Just saw this on my twitter page.

Well this isn't the way Anne would've liked to start her 63rd year, hearing that her father's ill!

The news is reporting Charles, Camilla, Edward and Sophie were all there when he was taken ill. Andrew and the girls must have left as they were there on Sunday.

I hope a good does of antibiotics is all it will take to bring him back to health.

It is quite worrying how frequent these hospital visits have been over the past year but as others have said the Duke has recently turned 91 and at his age these increased amounts of visits have to be expected.

I'd like to think that now HRH will dramatically reduce the amount of engagements he takes on. Although I think he would probably be greatly against that idea.

Get well soon Sir.

ghost_night554 said:
I think I nearly died waiting for news on my twitter page. Not a good start to my day!

I think my jaw hit the floor when I saw this thread. I almost expressed my surprise vocally, which would not have been good in a crowded book store. Not a good start to a day, indeed.

Molly2101 said:
The news is reporting Charles, Camilla, Edward and Sophie were all there when he was taken ill. Andrew and the girls must have left as they were there on Sunday.

I hope a good does of antibiotics is all it will take to bring him back to health.

I'm glad that Her Majesty is not alone. She needs all the family support that she can get right now.

Back
Top Bottom