The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Nobility

Young men rarely get bladder infections. Elderly men get infections related to prostate issues- either an enlarged prosate or prostate cancer. Hydration also plays a role. In elderly people so called minor infections can spread rapidly into the blood stream (sepsis) and cause death --even with the best medical care. And those that recover are weak afterwards. I think everyone on this site is praying and wishing him well. I think the comments about slowing down and shifting the work load make sense for the Queen and the Prince Phillip. They have put in 60 years of continous untiring service.

QUOTE=suztav;1452338]God be with him --- if from nothing else, than from the grave diggers on this site! Lawdy ... the man is 91 and has a bladder infection. It's not uncommon ... trust me, my Dad is a few months younger and is just about the same state as the DofE. They will pass when the Good Lord decides it's time.[/QUOTE]

Old 08-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Aristocracy

Duke of Edinburgh, 91, has been under under watch of two private doctors for past eight months | Mail Online

Old 08-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks for that article.

I am not surprised that the Duke has been medically advised to cut back (or retire). It is prudent advice. As in every case, whether to take that advice is up to the patient. I don't blame Phillip for a decision to keep going rather than sit around. If he fully has his wits, and this certainly appears to be the case, he must surely be aware that both choices are filled with pros and cons. He has a finite amount of time, whatever this is and he should be allowed to live out his days (whether 2 days or 20 years) doing what he wants to do. There is no perfect alternative here, as we have seen from the various posts. Both factions appear to be arguing that the other alternative will hasten the end. So let him choose.

When my own father was finally forced to retire in his mid-70's due to cutbacks rather than health, we were all dreadfully worried that he would be one of those who would start failing in his retirement because he would feel useless (this was a guy who would put on a suit and work 14 hours a day at 73). Fortunately, he got used to days of idleness and is now quite happy to be retired. He just fills his days with different activities. Like my dad, Phillip does seem like the type of person who knows what to do with himself even when he is not actually assigned a duty. Some people don't.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Courtier

The last three monarchs past away at Sandringham.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post
Young men rarely get bladder infections. Elderly men get infections related to prostate issues- either an enlarged prosate or prostate cancer. Hydration also plays a role. In elderly people so called minor infections can spread rapidly into the blood stream (sepsis) and cause death --even with the best medical care. And those that recover are weak afterwards. I think everyone on this site is praying and wishing him well. I think the comments about slowing down and shifting the work load make sense for the Queen and the Prince Phillip. They have put in 60 years of continous untiring service.

QUOTE=suztav;1452338]God be with him --- if from nothing else, than from the grave diggers on this site! Lawdy ... the man is 91 and has a bladder infection. It's not uncommon ... trust me, my Dad is a few months younger and is just about the same state as the DofE. They will pass when the Good Lord decides it's time.
[/QUOTE]

This was the precise cause of death for John Paul II...a urinary tract infection that lead to septicemia.

For that reason, I am glad to learn that HH's physicians are taking absolutely no chances here.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:29 AM
Majesty

When I watched the Jubilee Flotilla with my mother, she said of The Queen, "She looks worried." I've noticed HM quickly aging as well. She seems to be getting smaller before our eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
And what's more is that when looking at photo's of the Queen over this past year, she appears to have aged quicker than I have ever noticed before. In part, I would endeavour to suggest that she is consistently anxious about the health of her husband. In my opinion, It's more than the look of concern, it's the look of a wife fearing the prospect of what lay ahead.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
The last three monarchs past away at Sandringham.

Two of the last three monarchs have passed away at Sandringham and Philip isn't the monarch.

George VI - Sandringham
Edward VIII - Paris
George V - Sandringham
Edward VII - Buckingham Palace
Victoria - Osbourne House

The last three consorts -

The Queen Mother - Royal Lodge, Windsor
Queen Mary - Marlborough House
Queen Alexandra - Sandringham
Old 08-17-2012, 04:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
When I watched the Jubilee Flotilla with my mother, she said of The Queen, "She looks worried." I've noticed HM quickly aging as well. She seems to be getting smaller before our eyes.
I've noticed that as well. It's more evident in pictures where she's not really looking at the camera. Of course she does have to keep up appearances on the job if you will, but I can understand the mask slipping from time to time due to anxiety over her husband's health.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Aristocracy

Prince Philip spends third day in hospital and will have no visitors as doctors treating bladder infection tell him to rest | Mail Online

The haunting reason Prince Philip refuses to slow down | Mail Online
Old 08-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the articles. I would agree that Philip is probably a bit of a workaholic, but ar 91 he needs to realise that all the travelling and standing for long periods does not do him any favours. Though Philip is not one to be told anything.

There have been many news articles stating no one is going to visit him as he is to rest. ITV have a video of the Queen leaving, as well as stating Edward and Sophie left (they left seperately to the Queen a few hours before), but they said they were definitely not visiting Philip. I would think they would perhaps visit him at some point but it would be hidden as much as possible. It wouldn't be like when they visited him at the King Edward VI hospital I would think, and I highly doubt Edward and Sophie would bring their kids this time.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Majesty

Based on one of the articles that were posted, Philip's attitude and work ethic make perfect sense; he wants to make sure that what happened to him will not happen to his wife, children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildrenn, which is only natural. He's very much like my grandfather; hates being idle and believes that every minute of every day needs to be taken up by 'useful activity'. The Duke loves his work, and may perhaps feel that slowing down is not an option, but I also hope that he understands his limitations and will take whatever advice the doctors will offer. It will serve him well in the long run.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

If the family aren't visiting him that is only a good sign.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:17 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie
If the family aren't visiting him that is only a good sign.
I'm not sure about that. what do you mean. I guess different families handle things different ways. Plus I don't always trust the reports in the Daily Mail. Some family members may have seen him via a private entrance.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:10 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I'm not sure about that. what do you mean. I guess different families handle things different ways. Plus I don't always trust the reports in the Daily Mail. Some family members may have seen him via a private entrance.
All UK news outlets have reported since Thursday that the Duke hasn't been allowed to see any family members so he can fully rest.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen

All UK news outlets have reported since Thursday that the Duke hasn't been allowed to see any family members so he can fully rest.
Thanks for the update
Old 08-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

First off the royals rarely visit people in hospital due to the disruption they would cause with security etc.

Secondly - if he was at death's door his family would be gathering at the hospital to be with him.

That they aren't visiting to me says that he is recovering and resting and will be back with them soon enough that they don't need to drop what they are doing to rush to be by his side.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Serene Highness

Completely agree about family not visiting, its a sign they are confident he's going to be fine again soon. I think we've been spoilt by the royals visiting him on last two occasions he was taken to hospital but the circumstances were different on those occasions. The first was at christmas and understandably the family wanted to visit him Christmas day, the second time was in middle of jubilee weekend and again understandable family would want to visit him to make him part of the occasion. This time he was due to be resting at balmoral anyway so now he is simply resting in hospital.
I would be much more worried if he was getting family visiting him especially if they were travelling up to scotland to see him.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
especially if they were travelling up to scotland to see him.
AFAIK most of the family are in Scotland either at Balmoral or Birkhall currently. William and Catherine should be up their now with Charles and Camilla I believe.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
AFAIK most of the family are in Scotland either at Balmoral or Birkhall currently. William and Catherine should be up their now with Charles and Camilla I believe.
Good point it is the scotland time of year for the family. Still if the york girls, Harry or the phillips started to turn up I'd be worried.to be honest it panicked be a bit when we saw the Queen visiting phillip over the jubilee weekend, if it wasn't for everyone saying he was getting better I'd have though something was seriously wrong.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I can understand the "no visiting means he's well" thing, but for me having gone through an ill grandfather situation, not being able to see him would have hurt me. If Harry, Zara, Peter or any other family member whether in Scotland or not chose to visit him I'd see no issue with that, they're visiting their ill grandfather. Would it make a difference if he was ill at Balmoral instead of a hospital? For me, no.

Not putting a 'dampner' on the situation but if Philip turned quickly and this turned out to be a worse situation than imagined and people have not got to see their father/grandfather they'd feel pretty terrible.