Prince Philip Hospitalised Due to Bladder Infection: August 15-20, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
God be with him --- if from nothing else, than from the grave diggers on this site! Lawdy ... the man is 91 and has a bladder infection. It's not uncommon ... trust me, my Dad is a few months younger and is just about the same state as the DofE. They will pass when the Good Lord decides it's time.

From here-on-out I would not be believing the 'bladder infection' excuse. There may be privacy issues. Understandable.

Best for Charles to cover the Paralympic Games - or if it's serious enough in Scotland that Charles as his parents' eldest son needs to be present with his aging parents - then William needs to step up and cease the complicated round of excuses around 'his work'. If Harry can 'arrange' things, so can William, I would think.

Edward does the Paralympic's as he is associated with it, not Charles, and it is Edward who does a lot of Philips DOE committments, as well as other committments of Philip's. Charles is more likely to take on the Queen's committments if she were to slow down. Edward appears to be closest to his father out of the boys, so it is likely he will do a lot of Philip's work if he chooses to slow down, which I hope he does as he needs rest.

I wish Philip back to good health and I am glad his family is around him to support him, though knowing Philip he probably doesn't want a fuss. He is such a trooper!

Edward does the Paralympic's as he is associated with it, not Charles, and it is Edward who does a lot of Philips DOE committments, as well as other committments of Philip's. Charles is more likely to take on the Queen's committments if she were to slow down. Edward appears to be closest to his father out of the boys, so it is likely he will do a lot of Philip's work if he chooses to slow down, which I hope he does as he needs rest.

Why then did Harry step in for the Queen at the Closing Ceremonies and not Charles? I've been wondering about that.

I was thinking about this idea floated that the DoE's public duties are his 'purpose for living'. The DoE's public duties are not his only 'work' and his 'purpose for living' may be less the public duties than his wife. It's for him to say, of course. But he does oversee the estates, he does go shooting, he does have activities he loves outside of the public eye. Being allowed the freedom to pursue those activities he loves might extend his life rather than shorten it.

Those familiar with being around the aging see where the DoE is heading. It's a fact. 'Bladder infection' - euphemism or not - is serious at his age. Serious enough to be hospitalized. I'm sure he is aware of how significant he is for his wife - and that drives him. She could benefit from some slowing down herself - one could see it at the Opening Ceremonies - with clear evidence that both of them have mobility that is impaired. I say let them relax.

I think it may be the Queen who needs him and he knows that and makes the effort for her. My counsel would be for them to take the opportunity to make a graceful stepping back together. The Queen gets much needed freedom after being so long 'on the job' - and quite possibly extends her husband's life. They would both benefit.

I suspect Charles and Anne and Andrew and Edward are dealing with the complexity of their aging parents - but have the added dilemma of dealing with their monarch as well. Cannot be easy.

I don't think there is a great need for alarm unless they decide to go to Sandringham out of season.

Why is that? I've never heard of that. What would be the significance of that?

Harry stepped in because Charles and The Queen were on holiday.

I wish Philip back to good health and I am glad his family is around him to support him, though knowing Philip he probably doesn't want a fuss. He is such a trooper!

I agree I think Edward's responsibilities will increase more substantially than any other of the members of the family. Edward is the one being groomed to take over the stewardship of the estates and parklands. Also a large number of the Dukes events are accompanying HM. I think Anne and possiblly Andrew will take on more as well.

The physical fitness, sport and DofE award activities fit nicely into the W/K/H new Royal Foundation's focus and some may fall to them, but I think the lion's share will go mostly to Edward and Anne.

It was really odd to see this news on the BRF's Facebook page this afternoon, because, for some reason, two nights ago and again last night, I dreamed about Prince Philip's death. I mentioned it to my dad this morning, because I never have the same dream twice in a row (and I hadn't even been reading or thinking about the Duke of Edinburgh recently!)

I'm sure the Queen is worried about him and I hope he recovers well; but he is getting to be an old man.

Here is BBC's background article on urinary tract infections (the correct title, I was informed when suffering from one myself.)

BBC News - Q&A: Bladder infections in the elderly

I hadn't thought about the possibility that normal medication often given to reduce rejection of his stent might have also lowered his immune system.

That is possible, but very few people go to the hospital for a urinary tract infection. They stay home and take antibiotics. You don't get a urinary tract infection from working hard or working at all. Philip enjoys doing his "stuff" and he should continue, Bless him. This problem is from an organic, pre-existing problem and can be very serious.

Harry stepped in because Charles and The Queen were on holiday.

The Queen never intended to be at the Closing Ceremonies? I thought Charles not showing up was a last minute change - even The Telegraph queried in an article: where was Charles? Is there a thread where this is discussed?

Last edited:
I think it's going to be very hard on Anne when Philip dies. She's always been a daddy's girl, just like I am with my dad (even more so than her. I have two brothers and five paternal cousins, and all of them are male. My grandpa, when he was alive, called me his one and only). My dad's sister was also the only girl in the family. Aside from my dad, she has three other brothers.

The Queen never intended to be at the Closing Ceremonies? I thought Charles not showing up was a last minute change - even The Telegraph queried in an article: where was Charles? Is there a thread where this is discussed?
Neither the Queen, nor Prince Charles had ever been listed as attending the Closing Ceremony.
It was unusual to see Prince Harry represent his grandmother during such a high-profile event, but she apparantely felt he was up to it (and wasn't wrong).

I agree I think Edward's responsibilities will increase more substantially than any other of the members of the family. Edward is the one being groomed to take over the stewardship of the estates and parklands. Also a large number of the Dukes events are accompanying HM. I think Anne and possiblly Andrew will take on more as well.

The physical fitness, sport and DofE award activities fit nicely into the W/K/H new Royal Foundation's focus and some may fall to them, but I think the lion's share will go mostly to Edward and Anne.

This bolded part confuses me. Why would Edward take over running of the estates and parklands when technically they will be William's when he is king? Is this just the way the royal family have decided to handle this?

I apologize if this has been mentioned before or in another thread. Mods, please move if necessary. Thanks

God be with him --- if from nothing else, than from the grave diggers on this site! Lawdy ... the man is 91 and has a bladder infection. It's not uncommon ... trust me, my Dad is a few months younger and is just about the same state as the DofE. They will pass when the Good Lord decides it's time.

I don't believe anyone's being a grave-digger, just realistic.:flowers:

Much as we'd all like the people we care for to live forever, the fact is that no one is immortal,and sad though it may be, the indications are there.

if from nothing else, than from the grave diggers on this site!

An unfounded statement.

No one here is wishing the man ill or worse, but quite the opposite.

However, lets be realistic here. Time is not on his side and consequently neither is his health. It certainly isn't going to improve and can only be monitored from here on in. It's now about sustaining a level of decent health and as such a reasonable quality of life for a man of 91. Yes he is still ambulant but it wouldn't take much to otherwise change that.

Again, the unavoidable reality of living to an elderly age.

Last edited:
It sucks that Anne had to spend her birthday visiting her father in the hospital.

The reality is is that these hosptial visits are going to become more and more frequent until the Duke passes. It's unavoidable.

The Duke's health is on the decline and it's evident his immune system is continuing to weaken. Both a sign of his age and the natural wear and tear on his vital organs and respiratory system.

I should hope the Duke returns to Balmoral very soon, and is able to enjoy the remainder of his time there. He does need alot of rest and it's high time he be told by his physicians in no uncertain terms that his public official engagements need be dramatically reduced and more time spent on personal recreation and leisure. Doing what makes him happy.

And what's more is that when looking at photo's of the Queen over this past year, she appears to have aged quicker than I have ever noticed before. In part, I would endeavour to suggest that she is consistently anxious about the health of her husband. In my opinion, It's more than the look of concern, it's the look of a wife fearing the prospect of what lay ahead. The mere concept of a life without Philip must leave her with a sense of great uncertainty, and understandably so after almost 65 years of marriage.

I think it's starting to hit home now, more than ever before.

It's really sad. Poor Prince Phillip. I hope he feels better soon.

I think it's time for HRH Prince Phillip to slow down if not semi-retire. He's been active all of his life, and there's nothing shameful about slowing WAY down. He's taken on so many engagements and there is no way around it, he's starting to fail a bit.
Rest and relaxation. God knows he's earned it! :ermm:

Praying for speed recovery of His Royal Highness.

How are those of us expressing concern, giving the opinion that he should wind down his duties etc. grave diggers? Most of us are just being realistic, not sitting on pins and needles waiting for something horrible to happen. I find some of the talk from those who have experience with the elderly very enlightening. I think 3 hospital visits in less than a year is semi serious for someone 65yrs younger than Philip; given that he is 91 I dont think it's over the top for some to be worried.

Young men rarely get bladder infections. Elderly men get infections related to prostate issues- either an enlarged prosate or prostate cancer. Hydration also plays a role. In elderly people so called minor infections can spread rapidly into the blood stream (sepsis) and cause death --even with the best medical care. And those that recover are weak afterwards. I think everyone on this site is praying and wishing him well. I think the comments about slowing down and shifting the work load make sense for the Queen and the Prince Phillip. They have put in 60 years of continous untiring service.

QUOTE=suztav;1452338]God be with him --- if from nothing else, than from the grave diggers on this site! Lawdy ... the man is 91 and has a bladder infection. It's not uncommon ... trust me, my Dad is a few months younger and is just about the same state as the DofE. They will pass when the Good Lord decides it's time.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that article.

I am not surprised that the Duke has been medically advised to cut back (or retire). It is prudent advice. As in every case, whether to take that advice is up to the patient. I don't blame Phillip for a decision to keep going rather than sit around. If he fully has his wits, and this certainly appears to be the case, he must surely be aware that both choices are filled with pros and cons. He has a finite amount of time, whatever this is and he should be allowed to live out his days (whether 2 days or 20 years) doing what he wants to do. There is no perfect alternative here, as we have seen from the various posts. Both factions appear to be arguing that the other alternative will hasten the end. So let him choose.

When my own father was finally forced to retire in his mid-70's due to cutbacks rather than health, we were all dreadfully worried that he would be one of those who would start failing in his retirement because he would feel useless (this was a guy who would put on a suit and work 14 hours a day at 73). Fortunately, he got used to days of idleness and is now quite happy to be retired. He just fills his days with different activities. Like my dad, Phillip does seem like the type of person who knows what to do with himself even when he is not actually assigned a duty. Some people don't.

The last three monarchs past away at Sandringham.

Young men rarely get bladder infections. Elderly men get infections related to prostate issues- either an enlarged prosate or prostate cancer. Hydration also plays a role. In elderly people so called minor infections can spread rapidly into the blood stream (sepsis) and cause death --even with the best medical care. And those that recover are weak afterwards. I think everyone on this site is praying and wishing him well. I think the comments about slowing down and shifting the work load make sense for the Queen and the Prince Phillip. They have put in 60 years of continous untiring service.

QUOTE=suztav;1452338]God be with him --- if from nothing else, than from the grave diggers on this site! Lawdy ... the man is 91 and has a bladder infection. It's not uncommon ... trust me, my Dad is a few months younger and is just about the same state as the DofE. They will pass when the Good Lord decides it's time.
[/QUOTE]

This was the precise cause of death for John Paul II...a urinary tract infection that lead to septicemia.

For that reason, I am glad to learn that HH's physicians are taking absolutely no chances here.

When I watched the Jubilee Flotilla with my mother, she said of The Queen, "She looks worried." I've noticed HM quickly aging as well. She seems to be getting smaller before our eyes.

And what's more is that when looking at photo's of the Queen over this past year, she appears to have aged quicker than I have ever noticed before. In part, I would endeavour to suggest that she is consistently anxious about the health of her husband. In my opinion, It's more than the look of concern, it's the look of a wife fearing the prospect of what lay ahead.

The last three monarchs past away at Sandringham.

Two of the last three monarchs have passed away at Sandringham and Philip isn't the monarch.

George VI - Sandringham
Edward VIII - Paris
George V - Sandringham
Edward VII - Buckingham Palace
Victoria - Osbourne House

The last three consorts -

The Queen Mother - Royal Lodge, Windsor
Queen Mary - Marlborough House
Queen Alexandra - Sandringham

Last edited:
When I watched the Jubilee Flotilla with my mother, she said of The Queen, "She looks worried." I've noticed HM quickly aging as well. She seems to be getting smaller before our eyes.

I've noticed that as well. It's more evident in pictures where she's not really looking at the camera. Of course she does have to keep up appearances on the job if you will, but I can understand the mask slipping from time to time due to anxiety over her husband's health.

Thanks for the articles. I would agree that Philip is probably a bit of a workaholic, but ar 91 he needs to realise that all the travelling and standing for long periods does not do him any favours. Though Philip is not one to be told anything.

There have been many news articles stating no one is going to visit him as he is to rest. ITV have a video of the Queen leaving, as well as stating Edward and Sophie left (they left seperately to the Queen a few hours before), but they said they were definitely not visiting Philip. I would think they would perhaps visit him at some point but it would be hidden as much as possible. It wouldn't be like when they visited him at the King Edward VI hospital I would think, and I highly doubt Edward and Sophie would bring their kids this time.

Back
Top Bottom