The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-13-2016, 10:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

It's now live on BBC One too.

HM will see Cameron at around 17:00 and Theresa May afterwards.

Popes, Emperors, Kings/Queens, Presidents and Prime Ministers comes and goes, but our rock of stability remains and endures.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
To make the story short: when it was King William today, just two months in his kingship, Mrs May would have been PM too. Or Mr Gove. Or Mr Johnson. Or anyone else. The person of the Sovereign is pretty irrelevant here. Nice that Mrs May will have an audience with the head of state, which is a person accepting any PM, backed by Parliament no matter the person or the party.
The person of the monarch is actually crucial as until the PM has been with the monarch and gone through the various aspects of that audience then they aren't the PM at all. It is the monarch who actually does the appointing - not the parliament nor the people but the monarch. It might only be ceremonial but until the new PM has 'kissed hands' then she isn't the PM at all but just the PM elect.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Nicholas Witchell was on BBC and talked about how interested HM is in how the country is governed, and that it is important for Theresa May to have good relationship with the Queen.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The person of the monarch is actually crucial as until the PM has been with the monarch and gone through the various aspects of that audience then they aren't the PM at all. It is the monarch who actually does the appointing - not the parliament nor the people but the monarch. It might only be ceremonial but until the new PM has 'kissed hands' then she isn't the PM at all but just the PM elect.
That counts in almost all monarchies (some do not even need any act from the Sovereign) and in many republics with a ceremonial president: "rubberstamping" the given situation. Queen Elizabeth blocking any person to become Prime Minister would immediately lead to a constitutional crisis. Diamond Queen or no Diamond Queen.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
That counts in almost all monarchies (some do not even need any act from the Sovereign) and in many republics with a ceremonial president: "rubberstamping" the given situation. Queen Elizabeth blocking any person to become Prime Minister would immediately lead to a constitutional crisis. Diamond Queen or no Diamond Queen.
We know that she has no power (and that is a good thing), but she is an important symbol when we are changing governments.

Update - Royal expert Hugo Vickers and and a professor is on BBC, and says that HM is an important part of the constitution.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:28 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I can't help but really admire the way the British do things as far as appointing a new Prime Minister. It seems so organized, so peaceful and has such a sense of continuity that is sorely missing from the very long, drawn out, seemingly endless three ring dog and pony circus we have here in the US.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
[...] that is sorely missing from the very long, drawn out, seemingly endless three ring dog and pony circus we have here in the US.
Yes, the proceedings today are smooth and polished.
Today.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I can't help but really admire the way the British do things as far as appointing a new Prime Minister. It seems so organized, so peaceful and has such a sense of continuity that is sorely missing from the very long, drawn out, seemingly endless three ring dog and pony circus we have here in the US.
I know, but I must admit that I find the US election circus a bit amusing. Perhaps the reason for that is that I am a big fan of a certain female candidate.

Update - The Experts says (again) how interested the Queen is in the running of the country, and that she is a psychologist for her PM's.

Update - Cameron is speaking, and will head to the palace shortly.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Cameron has arrived to see Her Majesty, and the children are with him and his wife.

Nicholas Witchell and Hugo Vickers are on the BBC.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Just watching it live on the BBC ,live at the Palace .
Old 07-13-2016, 12:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Just watching it live on the BBC ,live at the Palace .
Yes, and they are again speaking about Her Majesty's relationship to her PM's, and how interested and engaged she is in political life.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm just watching Theresa May arrive at Buckingham Palace to greet the Queen.

I think it was nice that David and Samantha's children were able to go to Buckingham Palace with them to greet the Queen. I had forgotten their children were so young but then again David Cameron himself was quite a young Prime Minister.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Yes, the proceedings today are smooth and polished.
Today.

Compared to countries like Belgium or, most recently Spain, which take several months (years ?) to form a government, the British system seems remarkably smooth.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

From the BBC - including a picture of our new Prime Minister with the Queen:

Theresa May becomes UK prime minister - BBC News
Old 07-13-2016, 01:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Cameron has arrived to see Her Majesty, and the children are with him and his wife.

Nicholas Witchell and Hugo Vickers are on the BBC.

Not living in the UK myself, I had never seen Mr Cameron's children before. Unlike Tony Blair, who was often seen with his children, I suspect Mr Cameron never wanted to use his nice family as an electoral asset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
From the BBC - including a picture of our new Prime Minister with the Queen:

Theresa May becomes UK prime minister - BBC News
According to the BBC, Mrs May was in the Palace for about half an hour. Unless the Queen kept her waiting, that was a rather long audience by the Queen's standards, wasn't it ? I suspect Her Majesty had many questions to ask, or maybe Mrs May had a lot to say and the Queen was eager to hear it.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Theresa May is our new PM after seeing the Queen and David Cameron's resignation | Daily Mail Online

Our beloved Queen with her 13th PM:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...8428121370.jpg
Old 07-13-2016, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Some photos from Getty Images

Queen Elizabeth Ii Theresa May Pictures and Photos | Getty Images

Belga

http://portal.belgaimage.be/editoria...-%2520POLITICS
Old 07-13-2016, 01:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

BBC's coverage were far better than the Sky News coverage. BBC talked about the Queen's constitutional role and how interested and engaged she is in what that happens in the country. Both Nicholas Witchell and Hugo Vickers commented on how the Queen's relationship with her new PM was going to be, and they believed that HM had hard questions for Theresa May. They also talked about her relationship to former PM's including Margaret Thatcher.

Sky News coverage was a bit dull. I know that some people like Alistair Bruce, and yes he is a god commentator, but he is not a good royal commentator.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
BBC's coverage were far better than the Sky News coverage. BBC talked about the Queen's constitutional role and how interested and engaged she is in what that happens in the country. Both Nicholas Witchell and Hugo Vickers commented on how HM relationship with her new PM was going to be, and they believed that the Queen had hard questions for Theresa May. They also talked about her relationship to former PM's including Margaret Thatcher.

Sky News coverage was a bit dull. I know that some people like Alistair Bruce, and yes he is a god commentator, but he is not a good royal commentator.
Sky News was/is the only choice I have to watch. We stream our TV service via Roku, and Sky News is offered, but BBC is not. :(
Old 07-13-2016, 03:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
BBC's coverage were far better than the Sky News coverage. BBC talked about the Queen's constitutional role and how interested and engaged she is in what that happens in the country. Both Nicholas Witchell and Hugo Vickers commented on how the Queen's relationship with her new PM was going to be, and they believed that the HM had hard questions for Theresa May. They also talked about her relationship to former PM's including Margaret Thatcher.

I preferred the BBC coverage too - Alistair Bruce tends to irritate me. I believe he thinks he knows everything about the royals being that he used to be an equerry to be (or still is, i'm not sure) to Prince Edward and is James' godfather. I suppose he feels he has "inside knowledge" but I find him a bit boring...

I liked the photo of the Queen her new PM. I am glad we now have had 2 female Prime Minister's, even if one of them was not technically voted in by us.

Tags
ancient laws, british government, british monarchy, constitutional monarchy, elizabeth ii, eugenie, parliament, power, queen elizabeth ii, royal prerogative, royalty