The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-08-2015, 06:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn is the newest member - although he will not be attending its meeting on Thursday, citing a prior engagement - but what is the Privy Council and what does it do?

Privy Council: Guide to its origins, powers and members

Privy Council: Guide to its origins, powers and members - BBC News

Old 10-08-2015, 07:39 AM
Majesty

What do QEII's subjects here think?
Should it be optional to kneel before the British Monarch?

Old 10-08-2015, 11:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Rt Hon Jeremy Corbyn joins the Privy Council despite refusing to meet the Queen today - Telegraph
Quote:
A spokesman for Jeremy Corbyn, commenting on his unavailability to attend the Privy Council, said: “Although Jeremy was unavailable for today’s meeting, he has confirmed he will be joining the Privy Council.

“As the Prime Minister and others did, it is far from unusual to miss the first meeting due to other commitments.”
Jeremy Corbyn misses meeting the Queen because he wanted some 'relaxation time' | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Fury as Corbyn snubs the Queen... to go on HOLIDAY: Labour leader skips first Privy Council meeting to enjoy 'relaxation time'

Jeremy Corbyn snubbed meeting the Queen today as he avoided a ceremony to join the Privy Council because he wanted a mini-holiday.

The Labour leader had been expected to attend the swearing-in ceremony which involves kneeling in front of the monarch and kissing her hand while swearing an oath of allegiance.

Aides say he had other commitments including 'some relaxation time' which meant he could not attend.

But in a twist, a loophole has been used which means the staunch republican has become a Privy Councillor anyway.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:26 PM
Serene Highness

The 70%+ of the population who support the Monarchy in the UK,will not forget Comrade Corbyn's republican sentiments when the next General election comes round in 2020..

He is already getting disastrous numbers in opinion polls...

Jeremy Corbyn receives the worst ratings for a Labour leader in 60 years - Telegraph
Old 10-08-2015, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

I'm afraid that when you become the leader of the opposition, there are certain obligations you are expected to carry out. Taking some relaxation time out before having done what is required of you to do is not on. If Mr Corbyn has indeed done this, then I find it unacceptable.

Personally, whether he kneels before the Queen/swears allegiance/sings the National Anthem or not, it is up to him - but he must do what he is expected to do and take his job seriously.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:03 PM
Majesty

I think that the gentleman has the right to be a republican. His feelings towards the monarchy can not come as a surprise for any member of the Labour Party whom elected Mr Corbyn as their leader. The Privy Council is a remarkable vehicle about which question marks may be placed in terms of democratic control and legitimation. The criticism on Mr Corbyn are so overreacted that I even started to feel sympathy for the man...
Old 10-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
but he must do what he is expected to do and take his job seriously.
He has sat in the House of Commons for over 30 years, in almost total obscurity, not previously having been trusted with even the most menial position [by his own party], either in opposition or in govt. But following their disastrous defeat in May this year, Labour have 'thrust power upon him', and he seems rather 'out of his depth'.
All agree, he IS a decent man, of principle, but whether that will be sufficient to lead him to No 10 [when so many of his core beliefs are fundamentally at odds with those of the public] must be in grave doubt, for those that have put their faith in him.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
He has sat in the House of Commons for over 30 years, in almost total obscurity, not previously having been trusted with even the most menial position [by his own party], either in opposition or in govt. But following their disastrous defeat in May this year, Labour have 'thrust power upon him', and he seems rather 'out of his depth'.
All agree, he IS a decent man, of principle, but whether that will be sufficient to lead him to No 10 [when so many of his core beliefs are fundamentally at odds with those of the public] must be in grave doubt, for those that have put their faith in him.
That may be true or not true, fact is that his party elected him as their leader. And he is as much leader of Labour as Ed Miliband was or Tony Blair. Being in total obscurity is not per sé a disadvantage. A relatively unknown grey mouse who was a MP for Huntingdonshire became a Chancellor of the Exchequer for just a year when he suddenly got the keys of 10 Downing Street, probably to his own surprise. That man was John Major.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:51 PM
Serene Highness

The fundamental change in the Labour party's prospects of electability these days, lies in Scotland, which they used to run [almost as a private fiefdom].. Now that role has been taken over by the SNP, and unless Labour can recoup it position in Scotland [a VERY big 'if' indeed] it has no chance of winning power in Britain. Without a major SNP disaster in Scotland Corbyn will NEVER be PM in this country.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I'm afraid that when you become the leader of the opposition, there are certain obligations you are expected to carry ou
Personally, whether he kneels before the Queen/swears allegiance/sings the National Anthem or not, it is up to him - but he must do what he is expected to do and take his job seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I think that the gentleman has the right to be a republican. His feelings towards the monarchy can not come as a surprise for any member of the Labour Party whom elected Mr Corbyn as their leader. The Privy Council is a remarkable vehicle about which question marks may be placed in terms of democratic control and legitimation. The criticism on Mr Corbyn are so overreacted that I even started to feel sympathy for the man...
I actually think it is despicable that the Leader of the Opposition does not sing the national anthem. Replublican or not, IMO, if you cannot respect the national anthem of the nation, you are unfit for public office.

As regards the Privy Council, if he wants to publicly snub HM the way it has been suggested he has, it is yet another sign, IMO, of one who does not respect the institutions of state.

You can be a republican, but there is no need to disrespect the Queen or the machinery of state as it stands.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen is not a person who cares if he kneels in front of her or not, and this is not a problem for me either, but Jeremy Corbyn is very very radical and and has many dangerous views.

Quote:
The 70%+ of the population who support the Monarchy in the UK,will not forget Comrade Corbyn's republican sentiments when the next General election comes round in 2020..

He is already getting disastrous numbers in opinion polls...

Jeremy Corbyn receives the worst ratings for a Labour leader in 60 years - Telegraph
Do you really believe he will last to 2020? I don't think / hope so, and I am a Labour supporter.

A poll showed 67% support to the monarchy in the 1960s, and now most polls have the support at 70%+.

Ipsos Mori had it so high as 80%, 77%, 79% in their thre polls in 2012, and 77% in their last poll in 2013. Populus had it at 77% in both 2010 and 2011, and at 82% in their last poll in 2012. YouGov had their support at 69% in 2011, 73% in 2012 and 71 in 2015. ComRes had their suport at 66% in 2013, and 70% in 2015. This is not going to change, but the 20%- of the population who support a republic is probably very happy with Jeremy Corbyn.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I don't think / hope so
The 'Acid test' will be the local elections next May.. If Labour do badly then, the knives will be sharpened and his days will be numbered, altho' it will be hard to justify getting rid of him [since his mandate amongst Party members was so noteworthy]. With him, or without him the Scotland problem remains for his party.. without Scottish seats a Labour govt remains impossible.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, why is Jeremy Corbyn being appointed to the Privy Council if people think he's being disrespectful to The Queen?

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Serene Highness

Because ONLY members of the Privy Council have access to 'Classified' information, and as 'leader of HM official Opposition', he HAS to be given that.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The 'Acid test' will be the local elections next May.. If Labour do badly then, the knives will be sharpened and his days will be numbered, altho' it will be hard to justify getting rid of him [since his mandate amongst Party members was so noteworthy]. With him, or without him the Scotland problem remains for his party.. without Scottish seats a Labour govt remains impossible.
Yes, I know.

And to those of you who want to know more about the The Privy Council, I found this sky news article from today.

What Is The Role Of The Privy Council?
Old 10-08-2015, 04:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Because ONLY members of the Privy Council have access to 'Classified' information, and as 'leader of HM official Opposition', he HAS to be given that.
Well, I wonder what The Queen think of all of this? She get's on with the job no matter what, and don't focus on those who don't kneel before her, but she takes protocol very serious when it comes to real official business.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-08-2015, 05:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I wonder what The Queen think of all of this?
We will NEVER know, although on the bbc 4 radio news this evening, a Constitutional 'expert' stated that it is not 'constitutionally possible for her to have an opinion on the matter' !
Old 10-08-2015, 05:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

I saw an unknown (to me) Royal expert who had worked at the palace on BBC News Channel or Sky News a few weeks ago and he said something like this ''The Queen is not a person who cares if he kneels in front of her or not, and will not se this as a problem. I think she will try to get him feel comfortable, and help him. And when it comes to this media fuss, I think she's just laughing at it.''
Old 10-08-2015, 06:14 PM
Majesty

The problem is the North-Korean type of anthem a republican has to sing. It is not about England's pleasant pastures green or about a land of hope and glory. It is about wishing the "noble King" to be happy and glorious, to wish him "long to reign over us". I can very well imagine that any conscious and self-respecting republican refuses to sing that. On itself I prefer someone tk be honest about it than to keep up a facade. That is just playing for the bühne, performing a vaudeville. How can Corbyn ever sing the anthem when his political ideal clashes with every word in that?
Old 10-08-2015, 07:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
ever sing the anthem when his political ideal clashes with every word
Presumably the way you yourself Duc et Pair, [a professed monarchist] sing the vehemently and VIOLENTLY anti-monarchist marseillaise, when required ?

Tags
ancient laws, british government, british monarchy, constitutional monarchy, elizabeth ii, eugenie, parliament, power, queen elizabeth ii, royal prerogative, royalty