Prime Ministers, Political Advisers and the Powers & Prerogatives of the Monarch

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I won't be able to follow the coverage on Wednesday since I'll be on the other side of the pond then, though I'm pleased that Theresa May is going to become the next prime minister - and I agree that it will be exciting to have another female prime minister! Without wanting to come across as too political, she seemed like the most sensible candidate IMO. But being prime minister during the first weeks after Brexit will be incredibly tough.

How fortunate we are here in the UK that such handovers of power can be done so efficiently and peacefully. This is obviously not the case everywhere in the world unfortunately.

HM is, of course, at the centre of all of this acting with her usual reassuring grace and calmness. How lucky we are to have her!

Sir Winston Churchill and Baroness Thatcher were the most impressive Prime Ministers from the list. Prime Minister Blair has been disgraced by the criminal invasion of Iraq. It is quite puzzling how Mr Cameron contrived to occupy 10 Downing St.

Last edited:
Mr Cameron was able to occupy No 10 for the simple reason the members of his party elected him as their leader and then the people of the UK elected his party first to a coalition government and then to outright government - a large vote in their confidence in him.

I know why he resigned but I am not sure he really should have done so on one issue when he didn't test the electorate on their actual confidence in him to deliver on their decision.

I also find it interesting that the new PM argued to remain - so Cameron's leadership of the remain campaign can't have been the real reason he resigned as that had no bearing on the selection of the new PM.

I believe Cameron resigned because he lost confidence in the politics he campaigned for. Theresa May sided with her PM to remain but never made her opinions widely known so she was a secret brexiteer.

I don't think Cameron should have resigned but if he felt he could no longer lead the country then I have the utmost respect for the man.

:previous: It's the best thing he could do.

Carrying out a policy that goes against his inner convictions is untenable in the long run.
And had he stayed and Britain had got a less than good deal, he could be accused of not working in the British interests wholeheartedly - not to mention being accused of clinging on to power regardless.

However, I do believe he handed in his resignation way too early. I believe it was his duty to lead the country until the Brexit button is officially pushed and until an exit strategy had been worked out.
After all this election - and the result - was Cameron's baby and it will be his legacy. - Whether he will be praised or cursed time will tell.

Personally I think the Britons are resilient enough to come out fine - perhaps even on top. We may very well envy you in ten years.

It's very true that Theresa May kept a distance from the debate surrounding the recent referendum even though it was known what her views were. But that is the way she works apparently, sort of states what she thinks without making a big fuss of things and entering into unnecessary arguments.

One of the most important things no matter what ones' political views or alliances are, is that people must feel a certain degree of confidence in whoever is in charge and I think that is why Mrs May is a good choice. After all, I think many people have confidence in the Queen and how she carries out her role in the country - she is a good example to her politicians!

Very weird that suddenly the main characters of the Referendum (Johnson, Gove, Farage, Cameron and probably Corbyn) disappeared and the British people are now led by a lady for which only 53.855 voters from her Maidenhead constituency were able to vote for (and 35.453 indeed did so). The leader of one of the biggest democracies in the world effectively lacks an independent Nationwide electoral mandate as PM.

How fortunate we are here in the UK that such handovers of power can be done so efficiently and peacefully. This is obviously not the case everywhere in the world unfortunately.

HM is, of course, at the centre of all of this acting with her usual reassuring grace and calmness. How lucky we are to have her!

I don't know why the British should be lucky to have her? I mean: the Queen is a lovely lady but let us face reality: is Teresa May the winner, then Teresa May will be PM. Is Boris Johnson the winner, then Boris Johnson will be PM. Is Michael Gove the winner, then Michael Gove will be PM. As if Queen Elizabeth (or King Charles, or King William) do have any say about that. Their influence is zero comma zero and they will only shake hands and wish the new PM luck and that was it, essentially.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty sure almost no one would support it, but, anyway, should the Queen grant Mr Cameron a hereditary peerage as compensation for cutting short his premiership out of a sense of honor and duty ?

I am pretty sure almost no one would support it, but, anyway, should the Queen grant Mr Cameron a hereditary peerage as compensation for cutting short his premiership out of a sense of honor and duty ?

No. Frankly if he's stayed and seen us through brexit he maybe should have got one IMO.

I don't know why the British should be lucky to have her? I mean: the Queen is a lovely lady but let us face reality: is Teresa May the winner, then Teresa May will be PM. Is Boris Johnson the winner, then Boris Johnson will be PM. Is Michael Gove the winner, then Michael Gove will be PM. As if Queen Elizabeth (or King Charles, or King William) do have any say about that. Their influence is zero comma zero and they will only shake hands and wish the new PM luck and that was it, essentially.
Our beloved, iconic, remarkable Elizabeth II is the UK and the Commonwealth and she is as Obama said a jewel to the world.

She is an international icon and the embodiment of royalty. She has dedicated her life to the UK and the Commonwealth, and have spent the last 63 years building relations and friendship between nations as no other. She's was known as the world's top diplomat until at least 2011 (when she almost stopped traveling) She was also with her parents, sister and Winston Churchill a symbol of peace during World War II.

She is as several of the so-called experts said on British/American/Canadian television during her 90th birthday celebrations and Jubilee celebrations in 2012 a symbol of continuity and goodness in the world. And as Baroness Scotland said during an interview: She is kind, caring, warm, forgiving and concerned with poor people, young people and people who are struggling.

Monarchs, Presidents, former Prime Ministers, former employees and family member have said the same and the Queen herself has mentioned it several times in her speeches over the years.

She is simply THE QUEEN and world leders around the world admirer her, and she make me proud to be half-British. We should be proud to live in this admirable lady's reign.

There will be no one like her again, and I agree with Tony Parsons that she will be the last monarch who will be a truly unifying force in our nation, but the monarchy will continue to endure in to future with Charles, William and George.

And if you want, I can go on and on?

If he was granted any kind of a peerage at all, it most likely would be a lifetime one. Heredity peerages, except for a short time under Thatcher, have not been created since the 1960s I believe.

David Cameron is back in Downing Street, where he is preparing to go to Buckingham Palace to see Her Majesty. I looked forward to this, but now I'm a bit distracted by the abdication thing in Japan.

Our beloved, iconic, remarkable Elizabeth II is the UK and the Commonwealth and she is as Obama said a jewel to the world.

She is an international icon and the embodiment of royalty. She has dedicated her life to the UK and the Commonwealth, and have spent the last 63 years building relations and friendship between nations as no other. She's was known as the world's top diplomat until at least 2011 (when she almost stopped traveling) She was also with her parents, sister and Winston Churchill a symbol of peace during World War II.

She is as several of the so-called experts said on British/American/Canadian television during her 90th birthday celebrations and Jubilee celebrations in 2012 a symbol of continuity and goodness in the world. And as Baroness Scotland said during an interview: She is kind, caring, warm, forgiving and concerned with poor people, young people and people who are struggling.

Monarchs, Presidents, former Prime Ministers, former employees and family member have said the same and the Queen herself has mentioned it several times in her speeches over the years.

She is simply THE QUEEN and world leders around the world admirer her, and she make me proud to be half-British. We should be proud to live in this admirable lady's reign.

There will be no one like her again, and I agree with Tony Parsons that she will be the last monarch who will be a truly unifying force in our nation, but the monarchy will continue to endure in to future with Charles, William and George.

I am pretty sure the Queen will give sound advice and words of wisdom to Mrs May as she always does to all her prime ministers.

Furthermore, as I said before, the Royal Family is also a tool of British diplomacy which can be made to work in Britain's interest. Now that the UK will have to negotiate with the world alone, and no longer under the umbrella of the EU, I expect that the Palace and the government will work even more closely to make the most of the contribution the Royal Family can provide through state visits and other less formal bilateral relations.

I am pretty sure the Queen will give sound advice and words of wisdom to Mrs May as she always does to all her prime ministers.

Furthermore, as I said before, the Royal Family is also a tool of British diplomacy which can be made to work in Britain's interest. Now that the UK will have to negotiate with the world alone, and no longer under the umbrella of the EU, I expect that the Palace and the government will work even more closely to make the most of the contribution the Royal Family can provide through state visits and other less formal bilateral relations.

You are probably right.

There will be plenty to do for the BRF in the years to come. Not least perhaps the younger (and more glamorous) members.
So Harry, you need to get married now, because you're going traveling a lot! :p

I agree with you in this!

To make the story short: when it was King William today, just two months in his kingship, Mrs May would have been PM too. Or Mr Gove. Or Mr Johnson. Or anyone else. The person of the Sovereign is pretty irrelevant here. Nice that Mrs May will have an audience with the head of state, which is a person accepting any PM, backed by Parliament no matter the person or the party.

It's now live on BBC One too.

HM will see Cameron at around 17:00 and Theresa May afterwards.

Popes, Emperors, Kings/Queens, Presidents and Prime Ministers comes and goes, but our rock of stability remains and endures.

To make the story short: when it was King William today, just two months in his kingship, Mrs May would have been PM too. Or Mr Gove. Or Mr Johnson. Or anyone else. The person of the Sovereign is pretty irrelevant here. Nice that Mrs May will have an audience with the head of state, which is a person accepting any PM, backed by Parliament no matter the person or the party.

The person of the monarch is actually crucial as until the PM has been with the monarch and gone through the various aspects of that audience then they aren't the PM at all. It is the monarch who actually does the appointing - not the parliament nor the people but the monarch. It might only be ceremonial but until the new PM has 'kissed hands' then she isn't the PM at all but just the PM elect.

Nicholas Witchell was on BBC and talked about how interested HM is in how the country is governed, and that it is important for Theresa May to have good relationship with the Queen.

The person of the monarch is actually crucial as until the PM has been with the monarch and gone through the various aspects of that audience then they aren't the PM at all. It is the monarch who actually does the appointing - not the parliament nor the people but the monarch. It might only be ceremonial but until the new PM has 'kissed hands' then she isn't the PM at all but just the PM elect.

That counts in almost all monarchies (some do not even need any act from the Sovereign) and in many republics with a ceremonial president: "rubberstamping" the given situation. Queen Elizabeth blocking any person to become Prime Minister would immediately lead to a constitutional crisis. Diamond Queen or no Diamond Queen.

That counts in almost all monarchies (some do not even need any act from the Sovereign) and in many republics with a ceremonial president: "rubberstamping" the given situation. Queen Elizabeth blocking any person to become Prime Minister would immediately lead to a constitutional crisis. Diamond Queen or no Diamond Queen.
We know that she has no power (and that is a good thing), but she is an important symbol when we are changing governments.

Update - Royal expert Hugo Vickers and and a professor is on BBC, and says that HM is an important part of the constitution.

I can't help but really admire the way the British do things as far as appointing a new Prime Minister. It seems so organized, so peaceful and has such a sense of continuity that is sorely missing from the very long, drawn out, seemingly endless three ring dog and pony circus we have here in the US. :D

[...] that is sorely missing from the very long, drawn out, seemingly endless three ring dog and pony circus we have here in the US. :D

Yes, the proceedings today are smooth and polished.
Today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help but really admire the way the British do things as far as appointing a new Prime Minister. It seems so organized, so peaceful and has such a sense of continuity that is sorely missing from the very long, drawn out, seemingly endless three ring dog and pony circus we have here in the US. :D
I know, but I must admit that I find the US election circus a bit amusing. Perhaps the reason for that is that I am a big fan of a certain female candidate.

Update - The Experts says (again) how interested the Queen is in the running of the country, and that she is a psychologist for her PM's.

Update - Cameron is speaking, and will head to the palace shortly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y60wDzZt8yg

Last edited:
Cameron has arrived to see Her Majesty, and the children are with him and his wife.

Nicholas Witchell and Hugo Vickers are on the BBC.

Just watching it live on the BBC ,live at the Palace .

Back
Top Bottom