The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-21-2015, 03:57 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
This is not my personal opinion but something I read when Edward was given an Earldom upon his marriage and not a royal dukedom.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
The stickler here is that it is The Queen's and the DoE's wishes that when the time comes, Edward will be created the Duke of Edinburgh. That will happen when Philip's title merges with the crown and it is then available for recreation. As its been expressed that this is the intent of the future of the Duke of Edinburgh title, I really don't see Charles or William not respecting them.

There is a whole thread discussing this at The future of the Duke of Edinburgh title and from there a link to further discussions.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:00 PM
Courtier

I feel those british aristocrats would have felt far more entitled and indulged. May be he would have turned out to be another prince henrik of denmark.

Prince Philip has always accepted and demonstrated that he is very fortunate to get into this, and did all he could for the firm. He is so grateful, save for the 'amoeba' rant, but even tat was 'someone heard someone saying', nothing in front of press or public..

And about how it happend, we do not know exactly what happend. Anything was possible.
It is very easy to sell romance and love.. Especially in those days.. And today the collective goodwill they have accumulated for 70 years makes us believe that.that a 13yo can decide her life partner, hang on to that for 8 more years, and coax her parents and their court into agreement.
Just giving another perpective. Maybe just some feelers that king and queen wanted a british match, but still had to giv in to true luv, assuaged those who disliked an alliance so much linked to nazis.thus al r happy..

Old 10-21-2015, 04:35 PM
Courtier

the basis for my above reasoning this way is
1. As earlier pointed out, there were no suitable protestant reigning princes..
2. There is no precedent of getting a male consort from british aristocracy,they come with baggage and political connections. So rather than risk, the time-tested method of getting an obedient foreign prince is always a safe option..
3. Mountbatten was pushing pushing we know, but maybe no one could find a good reason to say NO..
4. Of course she could have fallen for him, any girl would, but thats not the first thing you see while selecting the consort of the empire..(they still pretend its the empire, name changed, dont they)

And since the public had enough reasons to dislike him (just dislike, nothing more), the love card was played..they 'gave in'..

But whatever way or however it happend, he is the best husband she could have.. And i guess that is one of the very few points on which we ll have unanimous opinion..
God i am gonna be a great fiction/conspiracy writer..l
Old 10-21-2015, 04:41 PM
Courtier

PS: If anyone replies to the above posts, please dont quote the whole post, it will take up so much spce, just quote the relevant lines..
Once again, i have just put another perspective thats all.
I am a huge fan of the couple but cant put up with too much glorifying and romanticising..
Thank you..
Old 10-21-2015, 06:31 PM
Courtier

Prince Philip has always accepted and demonstrated that he is very fortunate to get into this, and did all he could for the firm. He is so grateful, save for the 'amoeba' rant, but even tat was 'someone heard someone saying', nothing in front of press or public..

I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but I think he said this in an interview many years ago.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:48 PM
Courtier

Even i thought so thats why i searched a lot of articles. Everywhere it is "complained to friends/moaned/cried out.." nowhere was a mention of an interview, leave alone the publication/interviewer..
Old 10-21-2015, 07:06 PM
Majesty

The DoE may have felt a bit out of place starting off and rightly had some mixed feelings about stuff but in the long run, there were compromises. A valid complaint was "I'm the only male that can't pass his name down to his children" type of comment was solved by the decree that all descendants that would in need of a surname would use Mountbatten-Windsor but the actual family would still remain the House of Windsor. Its often been said that although Elizabeth is the reigning monarch, Philip most definitely is the head of the household.

Instead of sitting and moping, the Duke created quite a role for himself and has accomplished quite a bit in his own right over his lifetime as well as being supportive of his wife, The Queen.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
Even i thought so thats why i searched a lot of articles. Everywhere it is "complained to friends/moaned/cried out.." nowhere was a mention of an interview, leave alone the publication/interviewer..

I don't know why, but I think it was on YouTube n the same interview when they were talking about finances and how (sarcastically) he would have to give up polo and rent rooms in the palace, or something else as ridiculous.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Henry Herbert, Lord Porchester first met Princess Elizabeth in 1944, when she was seventeen and he was twenty. Henry and Elizabeth shared a love of racing and breeding horses.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the Queen and Lord Porchester would have been perfectly happy together, with lots and lots to talk about over the breakfast table. The Queen Mother, equally enthralled by horse racing, would have been thrilled. However, I don't think there was anyone else for the Queen but Prince Philip since that first meeting when she was a child.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:17 PM
Majesty

Even though Elizabeth had eyes for Philip only, she very much loved and appreciated the warm friendship she had with "Porchey" and he eventually became her racing manager. Their friendship endured over decades.

HM, The Queen rarely attends funerals but when her beloved friend passed away, she did attend his funeral.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:57 AM
Nobility

While Philip did know exactly what he was getting into (no stranger to royal life himself) they were still both in their twenties (abiet Elizabeth much youner twenties) when they married.
So, yes, Philip did stray off the radar in that first decade or so, but has proved his worth ever since. I think Elizabeth would be lost without him, but would also carry on, given her regimental strength of will.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:33 AM
Serene Highness

I'm sure she would indeed be lost without him, they've been married now for almost 70 years. but I think she'd regard it as a duty to keep on going and not give up because she had lost her husband, and continue with her work etc.