The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Nobility

I understand that many people wants to bid him farwell when that sad day occurs but i really hope his wishes will be followed. If he wants his funeral to be a private family affair in St George's Chapel then it should be so and if he wants a royal ceremonial funeral in Westminster Abbey it should be so. He has served his wife and his country so well during almost his whole life so we all should respect him to 100 % even when he is not here anymore.

I hope we still have a long way until we have to go through that day. Not only because i like him but also for the wellbeing of his wife. It is not uncommon that when old couples who have lived together since they were young are being separated by death, the one who is surviving his/her love will follow in the grave not long after.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Heir Apparent

"Not a state funeral" does not mean private. And he knows that. I think he'll have the same type of funeral as the QM in Westminster Abbey.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Majesty

The Queen Mother's was as close to a State Funeral as a royal, other than the Head of State can get and Philip has made it clear that isn't what he wants.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Ah, no, that is what the Mail Online and other tabloids report at regular intervals. I will believe it when I see Prince Philip being interviewed and he says "I don't want a State or Royal funeral". Philip, at this stage and his age knows full well that funerals are not for the dead, but the living.

I believe that he will get what he wants because his loving wife or, should she predecease him, his son will dictate the nature of the funeral based upon family wishes. The fact that all the details for Prince Philip's funeral have already been planned to the nth degree is also a pertinent factor.

As a point of interest I think it telling that a humble man like Nelson Mandala is going to have a very, very, grand send off because that is what his country wants. We don't know if he expressed his wishes on the matter.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:37 AM
Heir Apparent

MARG, Mandela asked only that his bones be laid among those of his ancestors and his family. He made no plans for a funeral State or otherwise because he probably realized that he in some way did not belong only to SA or even his family-and that his funeral would not be something he could really control.

He knew-as you and I do as well-that funerals are indeed for the living.