Philip - I Don't Want A State Funeral

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But he certainly deserves one.

I hope it will still be a long way off, but when Prince Phillip dies, it will be a huge occasion.
I think a large part of the UK public will want to pay tribute to the Prince and his life long service to his country.
So I do predict a lying in state and a funeral service in Westminster Abbey with royalty from all over the world attending.
But I wish he will be around to see Prince Harry getting married in the next few years.:flowers:

I think if he wants to be in St James Chapel then his wish will be fulfilled, but I do hope he has a public funeral for the those who want to say goodbye to him. I also would like to see his son's and Anne stand by his coffin as they did with the Queen Mother, although Viscount Linley stood guard, not Anne. I know it's probably not "right" for a woman to do it but she is his daughter.

It would also be nice if his grandsons stood guard as well, but I would think James will be too young, unless it is in another 10 years.

And they are wrong anyway as the Queen Mothers funeral was not a State funeral but a Royal ceremonial Funeral. The difference is that at a State funeral the coffin is carried by Marine Soldiers and not drawn by horses.

Last edited:
Not Marines in a state funeral but Royal Navy sailors. It goes back to Queen Victoria's funeral. The horses got spooked and the sailors had to jump in and pull the coffin.

I hope it will still be a long way off, but when Prince Phillip dies, it will be a huge occasion.
I think a large part of the UK public will want to pay tribute to the Prince and his life long service to his country.
So I do predict a lying in state and a funeral service in Westminster Abbey with royalty from all over the world attending.
But I wish he will be around to see Prince Harry getting married in the next few years.:flowers:

DITTO. On every point.;)

This isn't new news - it has been around for at least 20 years and as it seems to be his wish I hope he gets it.

I hope The Duke of Edinburgh will be around to receive a telegram from his wife on June 10, 2021, and to celebrate her Platinum Jubilee the following year.

Long Live The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh!

I continue to wish Prince Philip good health but I'm not sure that he'll be around for the next Jubilee. I'm not sure The Queen will make it for that and I'm not even sure I'll be here for the next Jubilee. It's about taking things one day at a time.

As the longest-ever consort HRH should get the full royal ceremonial funeral. Although he's reportedly not over-fond of "fuss" I'm sure he's also aware of the duty royals owe to their subjects and realizes that the royal funeral is what he'll get. Besides, funerals are for the living to remember and say "good-bye" to the person who's died.

As the longest-ever consort HRH should get the full royal ceremonial funeral. Although he's reportedly not over-fond of "fuss" I'm sure he's also aware of the duty royals owe to their subjects and realizes that the royal funeral is what he'll get. Besides, funerals are for the living to remember and say "good-bye" to the person who's died.

I think he should get what he wants. It will a funeral which is the same as the QEQMs - ceremonial.

Have to say, he looked quite frail today.

I continue to wish Prince Philip good health but I'm not sure that he'll be around for the next Jubilee. I'm not sure The Queen will make it for that and I'm not even sure I'll be here for the next Jubilee. It's about taking things one day at a time.

I suspect if Philip passes first, HM will pass within a few years. I don't wish for them to pass anytime soon.

Why should his family have to suffer the torment of a public parade while grieving for him when they know that he didn't want that at all?

Far from showing respects to the man that would be showing total disrespect for his wishes and for his family.

Why should his family have to suffer the torment of a public parade while grieving for him when they know that he didn't want that at all?

Far from showing respects to the man that would be showing total disrespect for his wishes and for his family.

I wholeheartedly agree. He has done his duty, and deserves to have his wishes in this regard respected.

Philip (as most people should do) will hopefully have set out his wishes in his Will and made his intentions clear so there is no doubt as to what his eventual funeral will be like.

I note from the DM article that HRH was in "high spirits" again, whatever that means.

I guessed I phrased my prior comment poorly. What I am trying to say, I think, is that I'm sure HRH realizes that regardless of what he personally may want as The Queen's Consort a formal royal ceremonial funeral is in the category of a royal duty - and he's always done his duty. :flowers:

Last edited:
I guessed I phrased my prior comment poorly. What I am trying to say, I think, is that I'm sure HRH realizes that regardless of what he personally may want as The Queen's Consort a formal royal ceremonial funeral is in the category of a royal duty - and he's always done his duty. :flowers:

I am sure he does realize that but in his classic "no fuss or bother" way, I can understand him wanting the time to be as simple as it can be. I don't think that he's solely thinking of himself in this regards but also of his wife, love and companion for so long. If and when Philip does pass on, we have to believe that it'll be HM that will be having the hardest time trying to cope. In that regards, I really wish that royal funerals were more of a private affair for family only.

I understand that many people wants to bid him farwell when that sad day occurs but i really hope his wishes will be followed. If he wants his funeral to be a private family affair in St George's Chapel then it should be so and if he wants a royal ceremonial funeral in Westminster Abbey it should be so. He has served his wife and his country so well during almost his whole life so we all should respect him to 100 % even when he is not here anymore.

I hope we still have a long way until we have to go through that day. Not only because i like him but also for the wellbeing of his wife. It is not uncommon that when old couples who have lived together since they were young are being separated by death, the one who is surviving his/her love will follow in the grave not long after.

Last edited:
"Not a state funeral" does not mean private. And he knows that. I think he'll have the same type of funeral as the QM in Westminster Abbey.

The Queen Mother's was as close to a State Funeral as a royal, other than the Head of State can get and Philip has made it clear that isn't what he wants.

:previous: Ah, no, that is what the Mail Online and other tabloids report at regular intervals. I will believe it when I see Prince Philip being interviewed and he says "I don't want a State or Royal funeral". Philip, at this stage and his age knows full well that funerals are not for the dead, but the living.

I believe that he will get what he wants because his loving wife or, should she predecease him, his son will dictate the nature of the funeral based upon family wishes. The fact that all the details for Prince Philip's funeral have already been planned to the nth degree is also a pertinent factor.

As a point of interest I think it telling that a humble man like Nelson Mandala is going to have a very, very, grand send off because that is what his country wants. We don't know if he expressed his wishes on the matter.

MARG, Mandela asked only that his bones be laid among those of his ancestors and his family. He made no plans for a funeral State or otherwise because he probably realized that he in some way did not belong only to SA or even his family-and that his funeral would not be something he could really control.

He knew-as you and I do as well-that funerals are indeed for the living.

Last edited:
I imagine him saying something like, "Bloody hell, why should I care? I'll be dead, won't I?"

Philip was looking so well and hardy on Christmas Day, it's hard to think of him dying. I'm rooting for him to achieve centennial at the very least. Come on, Philip, if you can't do it, where's the hope for all of us? :lol:

And they are wrong anyway as the Queen Mothers funeral was not a State funeral but a Royal ceremonial Funeral. The difference is that at a State funeral the coffin is carried by Marine Soldiers and not drawn by horses.

I suppose a state funeral only applies to a Head of State, doesn't it ? Prince Philip can't have a state funeral then. He could have a royal ceremonial funeral though, as the Queen Mother did.

I take from the title of the thread that he meant he wants a private funeral instead (like Prince Henrik perhaps ?).

Anyway, since the Duke is still alive and well, it is inappropriate to discuss those matters now.

Last edited:
I think the report was based on an English report. It's all written down in detail. The report is very long. If you want I can put more excerpts from the report.

Last edited:
I suppose a state funeral only applies to a Head of State, doesn't it ?

Anyone who has fallen for the fatherland gets a State Funeral too: with state ceremonial, with state honours and paid for by the state. So every year there are State Funerals here and there, most likely for fellow citizens no one knows a lot about.

Back
Top Bottom