Lead-up to the Diamond Wedding Aniversary: November 20, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Skydraggon that this will make little difference to the man on the street. I think it is a great disconnect. You live very lavishly, but cancel some nebulus party to show you care. Doesn't work. When a person who has everything, cancels something that is a "spit in the ocean", it is nothing, but interesting press.

I agree with Skydraggon that this will make little difference to the man on the street. I think it is a great disconnect. You live very lavishly, but cancel some nebulus party to show you care. Doesn't work. When a person who has everything, cancels something that is a "spit in the ocean", it is nothing, but interesting press.

Have they never heard that old saying that "While the rich dance, the poor eat"? Think how many people would have been gainfully employed in the preparation for such a party - every one from the flower growers, farmers, dressmakers, to the chefs & serving staff and even the drivers......

well she did have a private party at Clarance House hosted by Charles when all the close family attended so i dont really think that she needed another one so long after the event surely they could have fitted one in after the CHOGM in december

In 2008 Britain stares down a rocky road: borrowing conditions are tightening, consumer confidence is crumbling and even inflationary pressures are keeping central bankers on a tightrope. But if even the Queen has to cancel diamond-studded evenings at the Ritz in the name of the credit crunch, the situation might be worse than we think

A Very Royal Recession - Forbes.com

All the reports seem to be based on the one story from the D***** Mail, quoting their ubiquitous unnamed 'friend'! :rolleyes::whistling:

Threre is actually no reason to doubt the story as I can remember at the time of the Thanksgiving service reading reports that there would be a private party in March'08. The same thing happened to celebrate the 50th anniversary of her Coronation and 80th birthday. There was a service at Westminster Abbey /St Paul's in June'03/June'06 and private parties at the Ritz the following January'07/December'06.(I think my dates are right). So there is a tradition of holding a more informal party to mark major occasions quite some time after the event and the Ritz seems to be the place of choice to do this.

i'm not sure i understand this at all. as long as the tax payer isn't footing the bill then why would she feel the need to cancel? if it's being paid for by friends or herself then i think the public wouldn't be at all against it.

Threre is actually no reason to doubt the story as I can remember at the time of the Thanksgiving service reading reports that there would be a private party in March'08.

I don't necessarily doubt that there was a party planned, just that it was canceled, and if it was canceled, it was canceled because of the recession.

I don't necessarily doubt that there was a party planned, just that it was canceled, and if it was canceled, it was canceled because of the recession.
My thoughts exactly. :flowers:

i'm not sure i understand this at all. as long as the tax payer isn't footing the bill then why would she feel the need to cancel? if it's being paid for by friends or herself then i think the public wouldn't be at all against it.

One word: appearances. For HM to throw (or have thrown for her) a lavish party while the rest of the country is staring down the long barrel of a recession smacks somewhat of Marie Antoinette's apocryphal "Let them eat cake."

And we know what happened after that, don't we? While current royals would certainly keep their heads attached to their necks, they're somewhat concerned about anything that would separate their bottoms from their thrones.

I believe that the Queen is very mindful of the recession and does not want to be perceived as unaware of what is going on in her country. I think it speaks volumes about her character to cancel an anniversary party that she is not even throwing. I do agree that it would have been nice for her and Prince Phillip to celebrate with a big event (it is 60 years, after all) but having a nice party at Buckingham or Windsor will undoubtably be lovely as well. But, even with the magnificance of the royal residences, perhaps Her Majesty was looking forward to going somewhere else for once!

If the story is true that the party was cancelled because of the Recession, I think that it harkens back to the example set by the Queen's parents during WWII. Perhaps she's also making a statement to other members of her family about how important it is to "make a good impression".

Is there a recession going on in England? There are lots and lots of people in the US saying there is one now, but we won't know for sure until July when the reports come out which they always seem to forget about. I think their own doom and gloom will drive the market! :ohmy:

Yesterday I was at Windsor for the Service for Sir Edmund Hillary, in St. George's Chapel our order of service stated that The Queen would be accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh but instead she had The Princess Royal, the Household said he had the cold but perhaps there is an underlying health issue with Prince Philip which could be a contributing factor to the cancellation of this party??

Is there a recession going on in England? There are lots and lots of people in the US saying there is one now, but we won't know for sure until July when the reports come out which they always seem to forget about. I think their own doom and gloom will drive the market!

Have you been to Michigan lately? My....GOD! (Sorry if that offends anyone!) But....seriously, while it may not be the worst place to live, it isn't easy here. If the US itself isn't in one, I'm sure Michigan IS!!

Though we tend not to hear much about other countries, and I'm not sure how I feel about her canceling a party, though it doesn't effect me at all....I hope that it isn't anything to do with Prince Philip's health.......that would make me sad!

I'd wondered about Prince Philip's health playing a part in this, too.

Yesterday I was at Windsor for the Service for Sir Edmund Hillary, in St. George's Chapel our order of service stated that The Queen would be accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh but instead she had The Princess Royal, the Household said he had the cold but perhaps there is an underlying health issue with Prince Philip which could be a contributing factor to the cancellation of this party??

Apparently he has a chest infection.

Is there a recession going on in England? There are lots and lots of people in the US saying there is one now, but we won't know for sure until July when the reports come out which they always seem to forget about. I think their own doom and gloom will drive the market! :ohmy:

If the U.S. is in a recession (which looks very likely) the rest of the world will feel it, Britain included.

I wouldn't know if that's the reason the queen has canceled her anniversary party, if indeed it's canceled. But the royal family gets constant criticism for living lavishly. Even if the party wouldn't have been "at the expense of the taxpayer", maybe the queen's aware of how carefully she needs to tread and is acting accordingly. Apparently she is very frugal (inasmuch as a royal can be, with the appearances they have to maintain!)

Maybe the Queen and Prince Philip celebrating 60 years of wedded bliss at a Ritz Hotel might just be the irony of ironies to present to Mr. Al-Fayed at the moment....

The funny thing is that the Queen is probably the Royal Family member least likely to face criticism for living it up a little. Besides, friends were going to pay for it. She should have had a nice little do... the whole world loves the Queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom