Lead-up to the Diamond Wedding Aniversary: November 20, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The set with the six stamps is absolutely lovely! The selection of the pics is nice and shows a couple full of affection, warmth and tenderness for now whole sixty years. Great! I hope i can get the set!

Wow! Indeed a nice set of stamps commemerating the life and love of two amazing people. Notice that HM is on the left on all the stamps. How cool. Does anyone have an idea on how I could get a set of them?

The stamps are absolutely beautiful. :wub:
I must buy them. :D

:flowers:The stamps and the photos are absolutely beautiful! Lord Snowdon is a great photographer and always has been.

Another new page about the diamond Wedding Anniversary from Westminster Abbey re. The Service of Thanksgiving:

Westminster Abbey

It's rather remarkable in this day and age that they have been married going on 60 years now. Again, it's a testament to who they are and how much they love each other.

My parents have another 25 years to go before they hit 60.....I hope they can get there.

Lord Snowdon has taken the official photographs for the stamp series celebrating the Diamond Wedding anniversary.

Lord Snowdon: Close up to the royal family

Lord Snowdon: Close up to the royal family - Telegraph

Telegraph | Picture Gallery | THE QUEEN ON STAMPS

I am just so enamored of the first picture on the gallery, in fact the same pic used for the main page of the article. I have never seen that.... It's the best pic of recent years I have seen of them. Even better than those charming laughing Braemar pics we had this year. Because even though they are mostly serious here, they have looks for each other that speak a thousand words. Those looks are mysterious and romantic and makes me wonder so much what are their thoughts. :wub:

I wonder if they will invite other couples from around Britain who are celebrating a diamond wedding this year (it can't be a too large number!) :lol: It would be so nice to see something like that. It seems like the kind of thing they would do.

Last edited:
Lord Snowden's a flipping genius with the camera!

Yes true about Snowdon. Even more, though, than photographic genius, he has a knack for being with the royal family and making them feel relaxed. I suppose it might have a bit to do with that he was married into the family.... he knows them well, what makes them tick and tock, and everything.... but also must be attributable to his own personality. I've heard he is quite a jovial presence. :flowers:

Jovial? I have always seen him with a strained look. But then again, all the pics I saw him with were with Princess Margaret!

(Like your avi, btw. Sabrina ROCKS! :flowers: )

Jovial? I have always seen him with a strained look. But then again, all the pics I saw him with were with Princess Margaret!

(Like your avi, btw. Sabrina ROCKS! :flowers: )

Yes, I think sometimes in pics he tended to look a bit constipated.... "strained" is more polite way to say it, though. :D I bet he is much more personable in his private life among friends. He seems to have a good relationship with everyone he knows. I mean, he was one of few connected to royal family who could have a good relationship with Diana and with all the royal family, it just shows how much he is well-liked by all walks (the "privileged" walks anyway). ;)

Thanks for the avi compliment. I have been on a Sabrina kick lately. I always like it but recently I bought it on itunes so I own it for the first time, and I've been making screen caps and avi's from the film. I love Hepburn of course (who doesn't?) but I just adore "Bogie".

Last edited:
One would have to make them feel at ease to really capture their inner light or fire. He has a gift! No doubt about it!

Mr. Russo and I went on a Audrey Hepburn kick on our way to Hawai'i, bought Sabrina, Roman Holiday and Funny Face. I just ADORE the fashions and Audrey! One of those movies has a little clip of Edith Head and her brilliant fashions. No doubt the model for "E" or Edna Mode on "The Incredibles".

A marriage made in Hebron!

IT was a marriage made in Hebron when youngsters from a Castle Morpeth school decided to mark the Queen's diamond wedding anniversary by staging a re-enactment of the monarch's big day.
The village went back in time to the 1940's as children, parents and teachers from Tritlington First School donned naval uniforms, red lipstick and seamed stockings to recreate the day 60 years ago that the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh tied the knot.

there is a link on the website to a letter written by the king to princess elizabeth after her wedding which is so very moving and telling of the relationship between the king and his daughter.

Pity my message (sent last week) isn't on the anniversary site... yet.... I am trying to be optimistic. ;)

Of the ten members of the bridal party (eight bridesmaids, two pageboys) only five survive to attend the diamond anniversary:
1) The Hon. Margaret Rhodes (born Elphinstone)
2) Lady Pamela Hicks (born Mountbatten)
3) HRH Princess Alexandra, the Hon. Lady Ogilvy (being just shy of her 11th birthday at the wedding, she was the the youngest bridesmaid)
4) Lady Elizabeth Longman (born Lambart)
5) Prince Michael of Kent

The deceased:
6) Lady Mary Whitley (born Cambridge) died in 1999
7) Princess Margaret died in 2002
8) Lady Caroline Gilmour (born Montagu-Douglas-Scott) died in 2004
9) Diana Somervell (born Bowes Lyon) died in 1986
10) Prince William of Gloucester died in 1972

The bridegroom's 'best man' was the late "David" second Marquess of Milford Haven.

Apparently even some of the bridesmaids' dresses (so gorgeous) are surviving and are part of the special exhibition at BP that opened in July. Princess Margaret's dress is missing. I wonder how it can be missing!
Lady Mary Whitley's dress became is sad disrepair. The late Margaret Rhodes said she had lost it when she moved house. :ohmy:

Last edited:
Maybe Paul Burrell has them.

I wonder who from the large group wedding photo is still alive, besides of course the couple. I can say for sure Prince Michael and Princess Alexandra of Kent and Prince Richard of Gloucester (he is the funniest in the picture, very captionable). :D

What a lovely gallery of pictures at the monarchy website. Thanks for posting the link,

Ive written a looong letter Hope she takes time to read it (My Mom says shell be far to busy) 60 Years I Hope im that Blessed since they are about to see their 8th Grandchild it makes me wonder will they see Great Grand Children?

Ive written a looong letter Hope she takes time to read it (My Mom says shell be far to busy) 60 Years I Hope im that Blessed since they are about to see their 8th Grandchild it makes me wonder will they see Great Grand Children?

There is a 30 year difference between their first grandchild and this new one expected next month!

If William marries and has a child while The Queen is alive, then there will be another occasion for a "four monarchs" picture, like in 1893(?) which will be interesting.

If William marries and has a child while The Queen is alive, then there will be another occasion for a "four monarchs" picture, like in 1893(?) which will be interesting.

I know the 'four monarchs' photo but that asked a question of me? Does anyone know if a photo exists with five monarchs? It could have been taken anytime after the birth of George VI and have Victoria, Edward VII, George V, Edward VIII and George VI.

I am fully aware that no one would have been expecting George VI to become king so maybe such a photo was never made public but if one ever was made public does anyone know of it?

I know the 'four monarchs' photo but that asked a question of me? Does anyone know if a photo exists with five monarchs? It could have been taken anytime after the birth of George VI and have Victoria, Edward VII, George V, Edward VIII and George VI.

I think that picture exists, and I'm pretty sure I have a book with it in it. I know it has Edward VIII, George VI, Victoria, and I'm almost certain it has both George V and Edward VII.

Last edited:
Interesting would mind at all posting it?? if you can find it???? :)

I've looked everywhere for that particular book, but I can't find it. I think it was a picture of Victoria, George V, and all of his children that had been born at the time. I can't remember if Edward VII was in it or not.

Last edited:
'Exquisite' snapshots bear witness to 60-year-long royal romance

The enduring love shared by the Queen and Prince Philip during their six decades of marriage is celebrated in a series of intimate photographs to be released this month.
In one portrait the couple are pictured gazing into each other's eyes on a Buckingham Palace balcony. The Queen, elegant in a blue dress, pearls and a brooch, smiles up at her husband with easy affection.
The tender moment was captured by trusted royal photographer Lord Snowdon, for a special set of Royal Mail stamps which mark their 60th wedding anniversary on November 20.

A most amazing, wonderful picture of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh :wub:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom